option -b not recognized?

Salim Fadhley

Jan 8, 2012, 8:41:52 AM1/8/12
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
I'm just working through the quick-start documentation. At the point where I ought to be able to give the following command:

$ sphinx-build -b html sourcedir builddir

This is what actually happens:

sal@bobnit:~/workspace/jenkinsapi/doc$ sphinx-build -b html source build
Running Sphinx v1.1.2
usage: sphinx-build [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: sphinx-build --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: sphinx-build --help-commands
   or: sphinx-build cmd --help

error: option -b not recognized

What's going on here? I'm running this on Python 2.7 on the latest Ubuntu 64bit - is there anything about my platform that might have broken the option-parser?

Thanks

Michael Foord

Jan 8, 2012, 6:45:28 PM1/8/12
to sphin...@googlegroups.com

As the html builder is the default, what happens if you do:

    $ sphinx-build source build

Michael

Thanks

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil

scsi

Feb 13, 2012, 7:59:07 PM2/13/12
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
I have the same issue with this:
Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit
virtualenv (I've tried with both sphinx system package  v1.0.7 and one installed in virtenv 1.1.2).

 I've chased it down and I think its a bit and it seems to be in the method _parse_command_line in the Ubuntu distro of python 2.7 (/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py). I've attached my conf.py for reference and my module tree looks like the following

/home/user/test <--- base directory full of python modules
/home/user/doc/ <--- where sphinx makefile is being run

$ make html
sphinx-build -b html   . _build/html
Running Sphinx v1.1.2
building [html]: targets for 6 source files that are out of date
updating environment: [extensions changed] 6 added, 0 changed, 0 removed
usage: sphinx-build [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: sphinx-build --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: sphinx-build --help-commands
   or: sphinx-build cmd --help

error: option -b not recognized
make: *** [html] Error 1

Also:

$ sphinx-build . _build/html/
Running Sphinx v1.1.2
No builder selected, using default: html
building [html]: targets for 6 source files that are out of date
updating environment: [extensions changed] 6 added, 0 changed, 0 removed
invalid command name '.'] <one of my module names>

Any thoughts you have would be awesome.

conf.py

Takayuki Shimizukawa

Jul 4, 2014, 11:34:50 AM7/4/14
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I know this discussion is old, but finally I've fixed the issue.
https://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/sphinx/issue/1226
I had never imagined that `sys.exit()` is invoked when automodule
importing a setup.py.
Now sphinx avoids SystemExit exception and emits warnings without
unexpected termination.

It'll release as Sphinx-1.2.3 and Sphinx-1.3.

If you have a chance, please try the stable branch.
Thanks!
--
Takayuki SHIMIZUKAWA
http://about.me/shimizukawa