Error 352: ERR_SPDY_PING_FAILED. Explanation Please?

Nick Miceli

May 8, 2012, 5:49:24 PM5/8/12
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for the random question but I was hoping I could gain some insight here.

I have been having problems with my router recently and I can't quite figure out what is going on. The only hint I've received is every so often when its bugging out, Chrome will give me the following error:

Error 352 (net::ERR_SPDY_PING_FAILED)

Could anyone provide some insight as to what's going on when this happens? In what context is this error thrown?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Nick

Roberto Peon

May 8, 2012, 6:04:42 PM5/8/12
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
Chrome will send a PING frame before/after it has data to send  to the server (e.g. a request).
You can think of this as a liveness test. When this fails, it is because some network device (probably a NATting device) somewhere in the path between your browser and the server has decided to drop knowedge of your connection without sending a RST to the sides of the connection.
SPDY sends the PING to determine when this happens so as to avoid having the user wait for an overly long timeout (10s of seconds).

Does that explain it? :)

-=R

William Chan (陈智昌)

May 9, 2012, 12:20:35 PM5/9/12
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
Note that Chromium *should* be retrying SYN_STREAMs when they timeout like this, so ERR_SPDY_PING_FAILED should not be a user-visible error. It points to a possible bug in Chromium. I say possible, because rch@ and I have looked into it and suspect that it's possible that it's a DATA read timeout, not a SYN_REPLY timeout that's happening, in which case it's up to the rendering engine (WebKit) whether or not the browser displays an error or a truncated page. The analogy for the HTTP error case would be displaying an ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED. We're not completely convinced this is the correct reasoning behind why users are seeing this error, and are still investigating.

Michael Quad

Dec 21, 2018, 10:07:17 AM12/21/18
to spdy-dev
I've got Chrome v70.

It usually happens with YOUTUBE between 20.00 -- 21.00, when ppl come back from their work.

The reasons, i think, may be:

1) too much requests from the crowd
2) stupid government blocks at this particular time

or both.

Michael Quad

Dec 21, 2018, 10:11:45 AM12/21/18
to spdy-dev
the reason (2) is more/most probable, as i can access YOUTUBE using some SOCKS proxy server. that's it. kazakhstan.

tto...@gmail.com

May 3, 2019, 8:45:43 PM5/3/19
to spdy-dev
เมื่อ วันพุธที่ 9 พฤษภาคม ค.ศ. 2012 4 นาฬิกา 49 นาที 24 วินาที UTC+7, Nick Miceli เขียนว่า:

Puvi Pavan (புவிபவன்)

Dec 21, 2022, 7:35:09 AM12/21/22
to spdy-dev
Hi Team,

Is this still a "Possible" bug?

Ryan Hamilton

Dec 21, 2022, 12:58:27 PM12/21/22
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
That would happen when the connection between Chrome and the server dies and Chrome is no longer able to communicate with the server. Sounds like a networking problem, but unlikely to be a Chrome bug.

--

---