Spatialite 4.5 release plan

antonio valanzano

Dec 27, 2017, 10:40:52 AM12/27/17
to SpatiaLite Users
I would like to know which are the release plans for Spatialite 4.5, Rasterlite2 and Spatialite GUI.
In a previous post in february Sandro said that by the end of this year all these new versions would have been released.

Just a curiosity: why version 4.4 has never changes its status from Release Candidate to stable version ?
Antonio

a.fu...@lqt.it

Dec 27, 2017, 1:16:48 PM12/27/17
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 07:40:52 -0800 (PST), antonio valanzano wrote:
> I would like to know which are the release plans for Spatialite 4.5,
> Rasterlite2 and Spatialite GUI.
> In a previous post in february Sandro said that by the end of this
> year all these new versions would have been released.

Hi Antonio,

I obviously failed in my previous forecasts (over optimistic)
the development work is still going on ... when all libraries
will finally reach a rock-solid stability they'll be released.

> Just a curiosity: why version 4.4 has never changes its status from
> Release Candidate to stable version ?

this was because in the meanwhile librttopo (the library supporting
Topology) passed several relevant changes, this including some brutal
API breakages. So 4.4 become a dead branch, and the current
development
version become 4.5 in order to avoid any possible confusion.

bye Sandro

linux...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2018, 4:00:48 PM7/24/18
to SpatiaLite Users
On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 7:16:48 PM UTC+1, sandro furieri wrote:
I obviously failed in my previous forecasts (over optimistic)
the development work is still going on ... when all libraries
will finally reach a rock-solid stability they'll be released.

Isn't "rock-solid stability" a very high bar for release?

The spatialite stack (libspatiate, spatialite-tools, spatialite-gui, librasterlite2) hasn't seen releases is more than two years, three if you don't count the 4.4 RCs.

That's a sign of an unhealthy project.

While 4.3.0a still works and builds with the modern toolchain, it's unlikely to stay that way.

Instead of aiming for "rock-solid" stability, release early and often.

At the end of the year development of the next Debian stable release will freeze, and looks like the spatialite stack will not be updated contrary to the rest of wider GIS stack. This saddens me.

I hope to see more frequent releases of your various project other than security fixes for FreeXL.

Kind Regards,

Bas

David Anderson

Jul 24, 2018, 5:49:14 PM7/24/18
to SpatiaLite Users
Wow, synchronicity in action.  I came to the site today just to see if there were any updates on the release plan.  And this post was at the top.  Yeah, a new version in the offing.  But no such luck.  I continue to sporadically use the 4.4 RC 1 version while awaiting the 4.5 version.  I wish there was a updated version that did not require me to install the C development environment and compile the code.
I agree, it is kind of sad to see Spatialite become moribund.