Plans to handle PROJ 6

Jeff McKenna

Mar 18, 2019, 3:17:30 PM3/18/19
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandro, all,

I just wanted to make sure that you are aware of significant changes in
the PROJ library, and its release on 2019-03-01 (see below for release
notes). Please let me know if you need me to file this in your issue
tracker, as it will be important for users that the next SpatiaLite (and
SpatiaLite-tools) supports PROJ 6.

Thanks again,

-jeff

Mar 18, 2019, 3:35:25 PM3/18/19
to SpatiaLite Users
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 8:17:30 PM UTC+1, Jeff McKenna wrote:
Please let me know if you need me to file this in your issue
tracker, as it will be important for users that the next SpatiaLite (and
SpatiaLite-tools) supports PROJ 6.

Jeff McKenna

Mar 18, 2019, 4:01:13 PM3/18/19
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks for sharing the ticket link here. It's good to discuss
these plans in the open here as well. -jeff

linux...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2019, 4:50:15 PM3/18/19
to SpatiaLite Users
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 9:01:13 PM UTC+1, Jeff McKenna wrote:
Great, thanks for sharing the ticket link here.  It's good to discuss
these plans in the open here as well.  -jeff

SpatiaLite needs to add support for the proj.h API, because proj_api.h will be removed in PROJ 7.0.0 due in March 2020.

With no final release of SpatiaLite since 4.3.0a on 2015-09-07, it looks likely that the spatialite family will hold back adoption of PROJ 7.0.0 because it will still rely on proj_api.h.

I hope that PROJ 6.0.0 support will be a reason to revitalise spatialite development, that we can expect a 5.0.0 final release before March 2020 proving that it's not vaporware like 4.4 and 4.5.

To quote part of my post on the PROJ list about SpatiaLite [0]:

"
 SpatiaLite is an important package in the geospatial ecosystem, but it
 is the sick child in the family. Perhaps it's time to take it out to not
 hold back the rest of the ecosystem.

 Perhaps when users are confronted with distributions removing spatialite
 they will be inclined to support its development. I suspect the lack of
 funding and/or a healthy group of active developers is causing the
 stagnation in the SpatiaLite family.

 If the removal of SpatiaLite seriously affects QGIS, they may be able
 allocate some of their funding to get SpatiaLite back into shape, at
 least for the sake of QGIS.
"

I'm seriously considering removing the spatialite packages from Debian to prevent them from becoming blockers for proj (and other packages in the geospatial stack).

Bas

Jeff McKenna

Jul 1, 2019, 7:05:25 AM7/1/19
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure that this was shared here: details of how the upcoming
spatialite 5.0.0 release fully supports PROJ6
https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/wiki?name=PROJ.6

-jeff

Bas Couwenberg

Jul 8, 2019, 3:31:12 PM7/8/19
to SpatiaLite Users
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 1:05:25 PM UTC+2, Jeff McKenna wrote:
I'm not sure that this was shared here: details of how the upcoming
spatialite 5.0.0 release fully supports PROJ6
https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/wiki?name=PROJ.6

So far libspatialite 5.0.0 (a final release accompanied by spatialite-tools 5.0.0 & librttopo 1.1.0 at minimum) is not something likely to happen, certainly not before the PROJ 7 release.

Sandro & Sandro, please prove me wrong.

Pirmin Kalberer

Jul 14, 2019, 5:09:34 PM7/14/19
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandro

On 18.03.19 21:50, linux...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]>
> I hope that PROJ 6.0.0 support will be a reason to revitalise spatialite
> development, that we can expect a 5.0.0 final release before March 2020
> proving that it's not vaporware like 4.4 and 4.5.

In contrast of Bas' repeated insults, which would violate any existing
Code of Conduct, I hope you also saw the very positive comments on
Twitter about your PROJ analysis. The latest one:
https://twitter.com/MarkusNeteler/status/1150017304714985473

Regards
Pirmin

Micha Silver

Jul 19, 2019, 4:56:08 AM7/19/19
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com, Pirmin Kalberer

Indeed an excellent review of PROJ.6 and how it will impact spatialite.

We've come to expect that level of detail from Sandro, so this is a good opportunity to stop "taking for granted" and mention a word of thanks.

Regards
Pirmin

--
Micha Silver