Not just arduino weekly workshop

Gordon Endersby

Apr 20, 2014, 7:49:29 AM4/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
A call to arms, pics or other chip technology.

Is anybody interested in attending a weekly workshop for arduino and general microcontroller, electronics and associated technologies?
This could also include the raspberry pi or any platform we want to interact with the real world.

This would be for everyone, begginers, experts and anyone interested in using the technologies or looking for ways to get something together for a related project.
Maybe we can get some interesting projects off the ground.

I suggest a Tuesday or Thursday away from the open night.
If anyones interested let me know which evening you prefer.
I can act as a coordinator for the workshop unless someone else really really needs to be responsible.

Gordon

toby @ tobyz

Apr 20, 2014, 8:24:16 AM4/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
My tuppence would be to only split off from Wednesday night when it becomes necessary to do so. Building a critical mass.

Also, I'm happy to give a session on mbed, which I rate highly as a microcontroller platform. When I switched from arduino to mbed for my DVI-mixer the dev rocketed forward; the hardware is much more 'batteries included' and friendlier to breadboarding and pcbs. That was of course two years ago, and things like teensy address the form factor side, but I think the wider argument still holds / is worth getting out there.

tbz::spk // mobile mail

Tom Lynch

Apr 20, 2014, 8:30:51 AM4/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I will try and come

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 Apr 2014, at 12:49, Gordon Endersby <gordon....@googlemail.com> wrote:

Matthew Press

Apr 20, 2014, 9:05:12 AM4/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. Would vote not Wednesday, but would attend any

Tom Lynch

Apr 20, 2014, 12:14:22 PM4/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. Wednesdays is the public night. Thursdays it good.

Sent from my iPhone

Gordon Endersby

Apr 20, 2014, 5:48:06 PM4/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Lets let it run for a couple of days.

Im leaning towards thursdays as well.
The public day would be bit of a free for all.
I got the impression there was already a lot of interest from last wednesday.
Not just from the intro but i was asked a lot of questions about the arduino and raspberry pi. What they were and what you could do with them.

Gordon

Gordon Endersby

Apr 20, 2014, 5:51:37 PM4/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Also it creates another evening of occupancy in the space.
We need more regular use across the week.

Gordon

Sarah Barber

Apr 20, 2014, 6:32:46 PM4/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Thursday is good for me too.

Gordon

Dermot Jones

Apr 22, 2014, 7:41:32 AM4/22/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
This his on for this Thursday? And from what time?

Gordon Endersby

Apr 22, 2014, 11:00:03 AM4/22/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Im getting the idea everyones ok with Thursday 7.30pm.

If there are no objections we can start this Thursday.
The inaugural meeting can start with a chat on what we want to do and how we go about it. Ill bring along my big boxes of arduino and raspi bits.

Id suggest you bring what you got and if you havnt got we can suggest a list of bits and how to keep the costs down.

Gordon

Dermot Jones

Apr 25, 2014, 6:10:20 PM4/25/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
How did this go?

Would have loved to have been there. Maybe next week...

Gordon Endersby

Apr 25, 2014, 6:40:42 PM4/25/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

From just after 7pm, we were eager.
5 people sitting round the table with laptops , arduino, bits of wire, breadboards and various things plugged into them.
So far just arduino, but im sure it will change.

Whats the plural for arduino?

Tom had his rfid boards and big electro magnets for the entry system.
Borrowing oyster cards to show the reader working.

I had a big bag of capacitors trying to find a  tiny 100pf cap, without a magnifying glass, to smooth out the adc results from a touch sensor for the door bell. And being encouraged to make my big red bell make a noise.

Sarah was working her way through the arduino book and gaining an understanding of how sensors and components are hooked up through limiting resistors and voltage dividers.

Others were plugging away at the arduino ide's and breadboards.

I hobbled off just after 10, i put my back out earlier in the evening on the way to the space, leaving Tom looking at various ways to mount the magnets to the door.

A good start for the first night.
We could build up a stock of components and boards in the future for people to try out and gain experience with. Not just arduino of course.

Gordon

On 25 Apr 2014 23:10, "Dermot Jones" <dermot...@gmail.com> wrote:
How did this go?

Would have loved to have been there. Maybe next week...

Faraz Sayed

Apr 26, 2014, 4:11:31 AM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, I noticed this group is named the same as 'Not Just Arduino' that is an existing group in the London hackspace. Maybe this group should find a different name so it's not confused with the other. Sorry for bringing this up if it's not too big of a problem.

Tom Lynch

Apr 26, 2014, 5:09:01 AM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I think that was why Gordon chose it but I don't particularly mind either way.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Apr 2014, at 09:11, Faraz Sayed <faraz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey guys, I noticed this group is named the same as 'Not Just Arduino' that is an existing group in the London hackspace. Maybe this group should find a different name so it's not confused with the other. Sorry for bringing this up if it's not too big of a problem.

Gordon Endersby

Apr 26, 2014, 5:53:34 AM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

I was thinking we should have a chat about the name.
But "not just arduino" is a very good description of the intention of the meet.
Its a phrase i saw used in the London hackspace not a separate organisation existing in its own right.

It attracts people who are interested in arduino and assures others that its not restricted to that platform.
If we had a woodworking night i dont think people would confuse one hackspaces woodworking night with anothers.

Its the South London Makerspace "not just arduino night"
Not the "not just arduino" club or organisation.

Whats your suggestion?

Gordon

Matthew Copperwaite

Apr 26, 2014, 6:00:20 AM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
"More than arduino"

Tom Lynch

Apr 26, 2014, 12:29:44 PM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

As dictator (trustee) I hear by decree the name:

>= Arduino

:)

Thoughts?

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

Gordon Endersby

Apr 26, 2014, 12:36:51 PM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Hmmmm ">=" are you saying there's something superior to the arduino.

Armed with pi.

Take your pic.

Pi and chips.

Gordon

Tom Lynch

Apr 26, 2014, 12:40:06 PM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
What about just > Arduino... More than Arduino

Sent from my iPhone

Daniel Garrido

Apr 26, 2014, 1:21:01 PM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Arduino++
"More than arduino"

toby @ tobyz

Apr 26, 2014, 1:42:18 PM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
the original name was fine, no? trying to make a ever so slightly different one from our northern friends is going to confuse people more not less?

if there's going to b a different name, we should take the opportunity to get away from brand names to something descriptive or properly witty? more about the goal than the tool?

all that said, Gordon has something with Pi and chips. def too wanky, but riffing on 'not just arduino' got me to 'Pi is not the only fruit'.

tbz::spk // mobile mail
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to southlondonmaker...@googlegroups.com.

Tom Lynch

Apr 26, 2014, 3:40:58 PM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I presumed people were being silly the answer is faraz is right it could be confusing but that is what happens with two hackspaces in one city.

Sent from my iPhone

Matthew Copperwaite

Apr 26, 2014, 4:52:52 PM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
>∞

As the Arduino logo is the infinity sign :)

Gordon Endersby

Apr 26, 2014, 5:09:34 PM4/26/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

If we need to change it, have we had any complaints other than Faraz?
Should we just be descriptive?
Microcontrollers, electronics, sensors, interaction and robotics.

Lets have a chat about it next Thursday.
Anyone with an interest or view can raise it then.

Gordon

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:52:52 PM UTC+1, Matthew Copperwaite wrote:
> >∞

Faraz Sayed

Apr 27, 2014, 5:06:26 AM4/27/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I guess it's not too much of a problem using not just arduino but as long as we refer to it as something different SLMNJA (slim ninja?) , Something that is not just 'not just arduino' if you catch my drift.

marc barto

May 7, 2014, 8:11:33 AM5/7/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Love that there is a DIY electronics workshop/meetup at the new space, happy to promote it. As discussed with Faraz on Monday it feels really confusing to have exactly the same name as the existing one in hackspace. If anything it sounds likes an iteration of ours, which would be fine, but I guess that's not what you're looking for.

Happy to chat further.

Marc

Matthew Press

May 7, 2014, 8:43:28 AM5/7/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
We're clearly treading on some toes here.

We didn't take a decision last week as no-one felt strongly enough about it. As other people do we will make a decision tomorrow night and change it.

Tom Lynch

May 7, 2014, 8:50:32 AM5/7/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

The thing is I am 99% sure we are not treading on toes, the LHS trustees are incredibly supportive and we were even asked why we didn’t call ourselves a Hackspace so I don’t think it’s LHS but a few members… The name wasn’t really set in stone but a place holder Gordon came up with….

I seriously would like to suggest this:

µMeet

Tom

marc barto

Gordon Endersby

May 7, 2014, 9:37:11 AM5/7/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Lets just call it umeet then.
Im sure in emails and on the site it will be accompanied by an explaining sentence saying what we intend to do in the workshop.

By the way i cant make tomorrow night.
Im coming along tonight to the open evening and ill leave behind a few bits that people needed to borrow last week. If theres anything specific let me know and ill leave it behind till next time im in.

Gordon