New Space Ideas Here Please

Hannah Brown

Jul 30, 2014, 3:53:18 PM7/30/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I'm creating a new thread for people to post potential new spaces. If someone could include info like max budget, best location that will help us search for the right space.

What I have found so far:

Creative studios in Peckham. Prices massively vary depending on size. Might be worth a general look.

That's all i've found. At this point it might be worth talking to other people who rent artist/studio spaces in South London. I know a couple of artist studio places in Peckham who i can approach for advice. If we can get some good reliable contacts that would be a start. I will start ringing/emailing around. I know a few people that might be able to give us some good advice who have taken over spaces temporarily for projects etc. I'm also in contact with a lady at the Merge festival, (they transform derelict spaces into interactive spaces/instillations) near London Bridge. i'll email her on monday.

Tom Lynch

Jul 30, 2014, 3:54:49 PM7/30/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Great space, but the issue is that they are literally in the middle of know where, it would be very hard for people to get there.

What do others think? We've looked at these before.

Tom

Gordon Endersby

Jul 30, 2014, 4:17:28 PM7/30/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Really are out in the back of beyond.
would be awful to get to for me.

Gordon

Tom Newsom

Jul 30, 2014, 5:59:24 PM7/30/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
We spoke to these people before. The price is not that great and the location is really out of the way. No buses or tubes or railways.

Jan Evetts

Aug 7, 2014, 12:25:35 PM8/7/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday I took these pics at the end of Ferndale Road, opposite Bon Marche. This place looked most interesting - it has looked like this since 2012 comparing to Streetview:

(next door is a nice site, but already protected Camelot guardians:()

Then across the road further up was a To Let sign, I think it was for an arch (but it may have been for the taxi cab office):

Further up was an arch with a fence across:

I can try and get more info from neighbours, confirm the CSJ sign next time I go that way.

Finally I was intrigued by this 2013 "Any office space in Brixton to rent" thread, is it an assumption that any office spaces mentioned (The Piano Club, Eurolink Business Centre, Tunstall Studios, Bon Marche, The Brix) would be too clean, expensive and officey for a maker space?

Jan

Tom Newsom

Aug 7, 2014, 12:35:24 PM8/7/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
If you can find out what's behind that white shopfront, that would be great
The To Let is for the cab office. It's tiny :)

Piano Club is too expensive
Eurolink have said No to makerspaces
Tunstall - Didn't know about this place - could you enquire? We need 100m²
Bon Marche - Too officey
The Brix - We made enquiries before; not suitable.

Thanks for the research. If you could follow those two leads up, that would be great :)

Tom Lynch

Aug 7, 2014, 12:41:31 PM8/7/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

The Piano Club - never got back to me. Have called again just.

Eurolink Business Centre - said no they don't want noise/mess they get enough interest in offices - Tom Newsom

Tunstall Studios - no answer, please try tomorrow...

Bon Marche - no space, expensive and to small

The Brix - not sure this is actually an office. Can you call them tomorrow please?

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

Hannah Brown

Aug 14, 2014, 3:24:25 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I looked into the old dairy on Rosendale RD, it's been empty for years. Location wise it's perfect. Practicality less so as it's huge and would need soooo much work (also has many old cars parked in front of it). It looks like there has been an application to turn it into a dog sanctuary. might be worth keeping an eye on this. I'll make some calls tomorrow although i don't hold out much hope as it looks like it needs the full works in terms of refurbishment. It would be amazing though.

Tom Lynch

Aug 14, 2014, 3:36:50 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
This is amazing...

Application Withdrawn... B2 planning permision already exists...

On 14 Aug 2014, at 20:24, Hannah Brown <hannah...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I looked into the old dairy on Rosendale RD, it's been empty for years. Location wise it's perfect. Practicality less so as it's huge and would need soooo much work (also has many old cars parked in front of it). It looks like there has been an application to turn it into a dog sanctuary. might be worth keeping an eye on this. I'll make some calls tomorrow although i don't hold out much hope as it looks like it needs the full works in terms of refurbishment. It would be amazing though.

Tom Lynch

Aug 14, 2014, 3:37:41 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Did more looking and in 2 seconds found the phone number for Mr Etienne Tegtmeier...

On 14 Aug 2014, at 20:24, Hannah Brown <hannah...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I looked into the old dairy on Rosendale RD, it's been empty for years. Location wise it's perfect. Practicality less so as it's huge and would need soooo much work (also has many old cars parked in front of it). It looks like there has been an application to turn it into a dog sanctuary. might be worth keeping an eye on this. I'll make some calls tomorrow although i don't hold out much hope as it looks like it needs the full works in terms of refurbishment. It would be amazing though.

Hannah Brown

Aug 14, 2014, 3:41:59 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what that means? Is it potentially good for us? I rang the peabody estate people last week (the estate next door) and he was very helpful. Encouraged us to keep looking and thought we sounded like a really interesting project for the area.

Hannah Brown

Aug 14, 2014, 3:42:39 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Is the owner? I can ring him tomorrow if you like unless you'd rather do it?

Hannah Brown

Aug 14, 2014, 3:44:02 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
He's just the person who put an application in right?

Tom Lynch

Aug 14, 2014, 4:19:59 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, but the application has been withdrawn... put 14/02996/ful into the search on the lambeth website..

It already has B2 permission which is perfect for us, we need to find out who owns it and if we can use it, for a cost, and visit the site.

We need to do this very quickly, can someone volunteer to chase this tomorrow?

Tom Newsom

Aug 14, 2014, 4:42:54 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Just seen this. I have tomorrow and Monday off work, for a long weekend of DIY. I'm sure I could fit this in. WIll definitely make phone calls tomorrow at any rate.

Tom Lynch

Aug 14, 2014, 4:59:32 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Thats TommeN.

Hannah Brown

Aug 14, 2014, 5:03:51 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Great thanks Tom,

If they ask about us push the fact that there is a core collective of individuals from various parts of South London, mention that this could increase the footfall for the local traders (there is a cafe and grocery opposite) and perhaps mention that the Hackney makers space generated a lot of press in the local papers and international papers. As we are aiming to follow in their footsteps we could potentially put this building on the map and create a lot of positive press and media for the area. All these kind of points are very positive for us and for landlords as we can make sure the space benefits a wider circle.

Make them want us! :)

Tom Lynch

Aug 14, 2014, 5:10:56 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

toby @ tobyz

Aug 14, 2014, 6:57:14 PM8/14/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
That's Hannah.

Tom Lynch

Aug 15, 2014, 6:44:59 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom,

Don't forget about looking into this property today..

Tom

Tom Newsom

Aug 15, 2014, 7:02:04 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I haven't :)

Tom Newsom

Aug 15, 2014, 7:25:48 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
The planning application has nothing to do with the old dairy. It's arches 886 and 887, which have just been refurbished by Network Rail: http://planning-docs.lambeth.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00492243.pdf

Each arch is ~60m²
The rent for both arches and the private yard is £1,800pcm inc. VAT, which is way our of our range.

As for the old dairy building itself, I have no idea who owns it or what it's being used for.

Tom Lynch

Aug 15, 2014, 8:24:28 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Okay, and no idea about the old dairy then?

Tom Lynch

Aug 15, 2014, 8:33:17 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I've asked Giles, he said he will look into it..

Tom Newsom

Aug 15, 2014, 8:35:44 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Am currently engaged in an email conversation with Peabody to see if they know anything. No answers yet.

The building itself is 4,000 sq.ft. rateable value £10,000

Tom Lynch

Aug 15, 2014, 8:38:21 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Interesting, what led you there?

Tom

Tom Newsom

Aug 15, 2014, 8:45:20 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
a) It's right next door so they might know
b) It's in the Peabody Estate - Rosendale Road Conservation Area according to Lambeth, so they might have information.

Tom Lynch

Aug 15, 2014, 8:49:44 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, I don't know that area… Would be amazing if it were Peabody and we could work with them to put it back into use… I take it you saw Giles thought he new who the landlord was, didn't sound like Peabody?

Tom Newsom

Aug 15, 2014, 8:51:57 AM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't sound like it. But maybe they know.
Am off to Homebase now, so contact me by phone if you need me.

Hannah Brown

Aug 15, 2014, 2:47:14 PM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

I dont think peabody own it as the guy on the phone didn't even know the building. Maybe he was an intern ;)

Tom Lynch

Aug 15, 2014, 2:48:10 PM8/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

We've found out from Peabody who owns it, Tommen will call tomorrow, and we're trying through The HHF as well.

Tom

On 15 Aug 2014, at 19:47, Hannah Brown <hannah...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I dont think peabody own it as the guy on the phone didn't even know the building. Maybe he was an intern ;)

keith matheson-mclaughlin

Aug 23, 2014, 6:48:53 AM8/23/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if anyone has taken a look at kalmars commercial site for possible places. Spotted x3 refurbished (e.g. Dam proofed) railway arches in SE5 at £9000pa. If no good then maybe a good negotiating point for current railway arch negotiation? The search feature did bring up quite a few cheap places but not in the 'preferred' hotspot. Maybe the net has to be cast a bit further. Just a thought.
Keith MM

Tom Newsom

Aug 23, 2014, 7:53:08 AM8/23/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I can't find them on their site. Do you have the link handy?

On 23 August 2014 11:48, keith matheson-mclaughlin <keith...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not sure if anyone has taken a look at kalmars commercial site for possible places. Spotted x3 refurbished (e.g. Dam proofed) railway arches in SE5 at £9000pa.  If no good then maybe a good negotiating point for current railway arch negotiation? The search feature did bring up quite a few cheap places but not in the 'preferred' hotspot. Maybe the net has to be cast a bit further. Just a thought.
Keith MM

keith matheson-mclaughlin

Aug 23, 2014, 8:03:57 AM8/23/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Tom Newsom

Aug 23, 2014, 8:38:59 AM8/23/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes the Paulet road ones. We discounted them as they don't have toilets and are inconveniently located for public transport.

On 23 August 2014 13:03, keith matheson-mclaughlin <keith...@gmail.com> wrote:
http://www.kalmars.com/PropertyResults.aspx

Dermot Jones

Sep 4, 2014, 7:20:10 AM9/4/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Let's hope that we're no longer looking,

But someone passed this on to me about some arches in Streatham. On the small side at 600sq ft.

https://www.streetlife.com/conversation/30b2uzxv55fdu/

I'm not a Streetlife member so can't send a message.

But thought I'd park it here anyway.

Dermot.

Tom Newsom

Sep 4, 2014, 7:56:13 AM9/4/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
If the comment on that page about them being just sold at auction is correct, then it's these: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.422096,-0.13786,3a,75y,319.82h,74.53t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjrX1NhuaBbfu9G9IWonyQg!2e0

(I think it must be. Nearly all the railways in Stretham are in cuttings, so arches are rare)

Completely bare bones!