Makersmace varios

Andrew Black

Sep 20, 2014, 6:45:21 AM9/20/14
to southlondonmak.
Hi Dermot
Getting quite unfortable about discussuing this in a public forum. It is not giving a good impression to people that might stumble across the group.
Suggestion of a subcommittee is a good one. A mixture of a couple of trustees and a few "ordinary" people. Dont think it wants ot be something that the trustees impose (not that they would)..

PS - thanks for saying hello.  Was feeling a bit unwell last week and found the pub too noisy. But hadnt been for a bout 3 weeks and had lost touch with news.

Tom Lynch

Sep 20, 2014, 7:12:20 AM9/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Uncomfortable about talking about the rules?

I would have thought talking about and deciding rules as a group was a positive thing? We are trying to hash out our communities value, no?

Or did I miss the point you were making?

Sent from my iPad

mstclair87

Sep 20, 2014, 7:50:41 AM9/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Andrew, I agree with you entirely that we shouldn't be seen to wash our dirty linen in public. The fact that we don't have an up-to-date set of rules now might be a case in point. But we can't hide that fact. Everyone can see the paucity of our current rules - which undoubtely could deter some people from joining. Our efforts at remedying that, and the civilized way in which discussion has so far been conducted, seems to me to be more about making a laundry list than pointing out embarrassing stains. I'm sure that if anything went out on our forums that might damage our reputation then the administrator would do something about it. (Perhaps we need a rule for that too!) To my mind there is something refreshing about an organisation that has the confidence to operate as Tom Lynch is suggesting; it's indicative of an openness that plays to the best in all of us. However, I take your view as a warning about being naive, which is well taken.

Matthew

Tom Lynch

Sep 20, 2014, 8:04:05 AM9/20/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
We try not to edit the forums ever, the only case was to protect a no disclosure agreement, or if someone posted something offensive that was a personal attack or contained personal information, it's not an extensive list but once an email is sent then we are effectively censoring the public archive, we can't retract the emails so we tend to stay hands off.

I am very much of the opinion that this is our community, if you see us having preemptive adult conversations about how we wish to conduct ourselves and what we expect of each other that is a demonstration of a positive place to be.

Sent from my iPad