Early Access Book: Composable Futures With Akka 2.0

Michael Slinn

Feb 6, 2012, 6:19:48 PM2/6/12
to south-africa-s...@googlegroups.com
Composable Futures With Akka 2.0 is intended for 'the rest of us' – Java and Scala programmers who would like to quickly learn how design and implement applications using composable futures. Practical code examples are used to teach concepts, backed up by 'just enough' theory. To learn more, please visit: http://slinnbooks.com/books/futures/index.jsp

Mike

Jacobus Reyneke

Mar 12, 2012, 3:21:45 AM3/12/12
to south-africa-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

The book looks very interesting. If you could make a sample chapter available, that would be great. It's difficult to decide on purchasing a book on just the 'about' and 'index' alone.

One question: how does the futures in your book (ie futures in Akka) and the futures that Finagle uses relate. Are they one and the same thing?

Cheers,
Jacobus

Mike Slinn

Mar 12, 2012, 3:52:46 AM3/12/12
to south-africa-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacobus,

Twitter Utils futures and Akka futures are similar yet differ in important ways. Perhaps the most significant difference is that Twitter Utils futures require another software layer before they are usable. Unlike Akka Futures, Twitter futures do not assume a dispatch mechanism, which allows/requires layers like Finagle to be developed; Finagle specializes Twitter Utils futures for web apps. I have additional notes on the other differences, and a mapping of methods between the two implementations, which I might publish if there is sufficient interest. You are the first person to ask me a question on that topic.

I am preparing excerpts from the book for publication; not entire chapters, but selected topics that are developed well enough to stand on their own as independent articles. Here is one, still under development. It is not guaranteed to remain available at this URL and will likely surface somewhere else when it is ready. Hope that helps.

Best,

Mike