RE: SONiC community meeting agenda for 3/26 -- meeting notes and recording

Xin Liu (CLOUD)

Mar 27, 2019, 1:12:19 AM3/27/19
to OCP-Net...@ocp-all.groups.io, sonicp...@googlegroups.com

Folks:

Today’s SONiC community meeting recording is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcK31WL173s&feature=youtu.be

Please find meeting notes below, thanks to Madhu from Aviz to take notes.

OCP MoM - 03/26/2019

Discussions/Talks -

·  How to set up KVM to run SONiC image, this will help you to run SONiC without hardware - Shoutan Cheng

·  How to run PTF test for SAI - Chitra Raghavan from Dell

Q&A

How to set up KVM to run SONiC image, this will help you to run SONiC without hardware - Shoutan Cheng

The following questions on new virtual switch platform for SONiC Development?

·  Since ASIC replaced with virtual switch Kernel in virtual switch platform how does it behave when interfaces changes ex: up/down?  No difference, it's SAI sdk

·  Is new virtual switch platform is available on GIT? Not yet, since this is next version of virtual switch platform, Shoutan will post it after few tests.

·  Why can't use VS dockers instead KVM VS ?   VS is the appropriate option to mimic real switch.

·  Is KVM VS server mandatory for 1804 and next releases? - Yes

·  How much test coverage with virtual switch platform ? You could cover all the control plane and SWSS etc.

·  Where can we find these virtualTestBed Steps? Yes, it is available on Git

·  How do troubleshoot KVM-KVM packet drop issues ? You could run tcpdump etc tools on host side.

·  Is SONiC using FRR? No it's using Quagga, but you could run FRR virtual switch

·  Is virtual switch VM using SONiC Linux Kernel ? yes

·  How many Real cores and Hyper Threading cores? Shoutan will update the correct number of physical and HT cores in the test bed document.

·  Shall we use other than Arista Eos ? Yes, you could use any virtual switch.

How to run PTF test for SAI - Chitra Raghavan from Dell

PTF - to test and validate infrastructure

The following questions on ptf framework usage.

·  Can we use ptf on physical NICs? Yes

·  Is this four ports mandatory? No [4 ports are enough to cover all the tests]

·  Can we extend more ports ? Yes

·  Do we need to stop SYNCD process to run the test suite ? yes

·  Is ptf integrated with Ansible - No

·  Does it need any intermediate device to intercept tag and untag? - Yes

Additional

Introduced new webpage for SONiC and walk through wiki and new pages - Xin

Setup Slack workspace - Zheng from Juniper

Thanks

Xin