SonarQube Android-Lint repository does not contain all the android-lint official rules

Amal p

Apr 4, 2017, 7:54:31 AM4/4/17
to SonarQube
 In sonarqube  Android-lint repository i could find only 158 rules,but there are 281 rules in android-lint officially. Do you have any clues why the remaining 123 rules are not available on Sonarqube Lint repository ?

G. Ann Campbell

Apr 4, 2017, 10:42:03 AM4/4/17
to SonarQube
Hi,

The latest version of the plugin was released in 2015 & the version of Android Lint embedded in it is probably quite old now. Without a list of the missing rules, it's difficult to verity but it is likely that these rules were added since the latest plugin release.

Note that the plugin is no longer maintained by SonarSource. It is a repository in search of a maintainer.

Ann

ofi...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 11:41:11 AM5/3/17
to SonarQube
I've noticed the same thing. The plugin is quite old and doesn't get updated very often at all. I'm considering creating a new plugin where you can point to a URL for the rules and it will pull them in from there. That way you won't need to continually update the plugin, and the rules can be maintained externally.

G. Ann Campbell

May 3, 2017, 1:16:17 PM5/3/17
to ofi...@gmail.com, SonarQube
Hi,

The Android Lint Plugin is a repo in search of a maintainer. Rather than creating a new one, perhaps you'd consider taking up maintenance of this one?

Ann

---
G. Ann Campbell | SonarSource
Product Manager
@GAnnCampbell

ofi...@gmail.com

G. Ann Campbell

May 3, 2017, 5:04:59 PM5/3/17
to ofi...@gmail.com, SonarQube
Hi,

What's your github id?

Thx,
Ann

---
G. Ann Campbell | SonarSource
Product Manager
@GAnnCampbell

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonarqube/b611c227-bea5-4915-a872-ffa958f101f4%40googlegroups.com.

G. Ann Campbell

May 3, 2017, 5:18:12 PM5/3/17
to Orion Fields, SonarQube
Thanks. I've made the request internally. I'll let you know when I hear something.

---
G. Ann Campbell | SonarSource
Product Manager
@GAnnCampbell

thomas...@sonarsource.com

May 4, 2017, 7:39:20 AM5/4/17
to SonarQube, ofi...@gmail.com
Hi Orion, could you rename or remove your fork of the project so I can transfer ownership to you.
Thanks

--

Thomas VERIN | SonarSource

Builders Team

http://sonarsource.com

Orion Fields

May 4, 2017, 12:06:24 PM5/4/17
to thomas...@sonarsource.com, SonarQube
Yep - just removed it.

Thomas Vérin

May 5, 2017, 2:35:00 AM5/5/17
to Orion Fields, SonarQube
Thanks!
I transferred the repository ownership to you, just accept it on github.
Enjoy!

tobias...@googlemail.com

Aug 24, 2017, 9:33:32 AM8/24/17
to SonarQube, ofi...@gmail.com, thomas...@sonarsource.com
Hello Orion.

I read that you took over the project. Great, thanks! I would like to know more about the current state of development.
The last version 1.1 was released at 4 Jul 2016.

I would like to use the latest Android Lint rules which are provided by the latest version of Android Studio.
Is there a mechanism to synchronize these rules with SonarQube?

Thanks, Tobias

Orion Fields

Aug 24, 2017, 3:49:08 PM8/24/17
to tobias...@googlemail.com, SonarQube, Thomas Vérin
Hi -

Yep, I have an updated release on my local machine pointing to the latest release of the Android API. The downside, and why I haven't posted it yet, is that it doesn't have the time associated with each of the new rules.

I'd be happy to post it up to a branch if you wanted to take a look. Let me know.

Orion