[Our Last Best Hope]The Killer Asteroid

Solo RPG Gamer

Mar 16, 2017, 11:27:31 AM3/16/17
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying
The Crisis
Fast traveling asteroid on collision course with Earth.

The Limit
We can't wait for the fast traveling asteroid to get closer because blowing it up close to earth will trigger a catastrophic meteor shower that will wipe out the population (just as if the whole asteroid hit). We must get to it fast and a good distance from earth. No space technology exists that can do that, except for untested prototype.

The Plan
Experimental rocket propulsion system based on nuclear fusion to quickly reach steroid away from earth. Part of research on space travel, so untested. A nuclear device will be detonated at its surface to change its course.

Event Pool
3 black dice (1 per character)

Characters:

Hema Guerra - Scientist

Backstory
Graduated from a university of no particular fame. Her unconventional ideas and unprivileged background have caused the establishment to dismiss her as a crackpot. Brought in at the insistence of Dr. Corey. Nonetheless she is a brilliant scientist toiling in near obscurity who worked up the theoretical nuclear propulsion framework for the system that'll be used in the mission.

What You Brought
Her desire for meaning.

What You Left Behind
Her fear of death

Sane
Brett Mah makes her feel sane.

Crazy
Catherine Corey drives her crazy

Secret
Diagnosed with brain cancer last week

Fear
A painful death

Death
You will die when you refuse to listen

Catherine Corey - Engineer

Backstory

Top of her class at MIT, she has always been independent and somewhat reckless in her private life. Top experimental engineer at NASA. She only agreed to participating in the mission if Dr. Guerra was brought in. She helped build the prototype nuclear propulsion system based on Dr. Guerra's "crazy" theories.

What You Brought
Her cool, flawless logic

What You Left
Her airhead, muscle bound boy toy

Sane
Hema Guerra

Crazy
Brett Mah

Secret
Cuts herself

Fear
Fire

Death
You will die helping a friend

Brett Mah - Engineer

Backstory
Top of class at Harvard he also works at NASA as an astronaut and test pilot. He was brought in to pilot the vessel with the experimental propulsion system.

What You Brought
His Buddhist rosary

What You Left
The orphanage he set up in rural Tibet.

Sane
Hema Guerra

Crazy
Catherine Corey

Secret
He participated in a safari killing endangered elephant

Fear
Being exposed to the vacuum of space

Death
You will die to prove you care

----0----

Assets (for the team)

Fire Extinguisher

Space Suit

Duct Tape

Threat Pool

Fire Near The Fuel Tanks

Breach In The Hull

Diminishing Oxygen From Leak

Solo RPG Gamer

Mar 16, 2017, 11:28:52 AM3/16/17
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

[Play starts with the Mission already in progress. The team encounters a complication that may force them to change their Plan. In any case, a critical choice needs to be made by the team.

I'm looking at things from Brett Mah's perspective, mostly, and this being a solo game, that means I'm the captain by default (and so is he).*

Stuff said by Brett is in quotes ("), while other characters have their lines preceded by their name. Just a way to differentiate things.

GM responses are also between tildes (~). These were largely constructed using context sensitive generation at my link here: Mythic GME With Keyword Generation

The seed text is a cut-up and jumbled transcript of the movie Armageddon from 1998. I selected portions of the text by searching for the words 'asteroid' and 'space' in turn.

I may change the seed text again depending on my fancy. ]

[During predictive text I've added words in parentheses (like this) when I had to fill in some gaps on my

----0----

Brett had gathered them in the break room. Something may have gone wrong.

[MIMIC is the most advanced artificial intelligence that humanity has built, per the game rules.] ~MIMIC: according to spread-focus laser measurements, the asteroid is traveling at freight train velocity.~

“Thank you, MIMIC.” Freight train velocity...Brett wondered for a second who MIMIC had picked that up from. “So, as you just heard,MIMIC believes that the velocity of the asteroid was underestimated by NASA. “

~They were alert, Hema and Catherine.~

He continued, “This might mean that using our current flight plan, we might not intercept our target at the safest distance from Earth.”

~Catherine: Earth would be in a shooting gallery . ~

“Yeah, one hell of a bullet,” agreed Brett.

~Hema: A very serious problem we have.~

Brett nodded. “MIMIC what is the most direct route we can take? I'm supposing it will be through the asteroid belt .“

[Oracle question: Question: “MIMIC what is the most direct route we can take? I'm supposing it will be through the asteroid belt . “
roll: 50
answer: Yes
event: None]

~ MIMIC: (The) asteroid belt technically is your maximum (chance). ~

“Technically?” asked Brett.

~MIMIC: well the rig that you have (can) actually get you (enough) velocity (to avoid changing your route)~

“Hema? Catherine? Could that be done?” Brett asked.

[Question: “Hema? Catherine? Could that be done?”
roll: 60
answer: No
event: None]

~Hema: How would you deal with (the) physical rigors (of) high gravitational conditions? Unpredictable things like fracture of the shuttle('s) (hull) could be a problem.~

Not to mention high G forces on the body, Brett thought. “Damn,” He said as he ran a hand through his thinning hair. “What say you, Catherine?”

~Catherine : My choice is (to) try it. I estimate it is our best option.~

“You are right. A run through the belt is almost as likely to breach our hull if not destroy us. “ He shook his head pensively. “I don’t like any of our options, but this one it is.”

---0---

[*I had envisioned Catherine as the leader because I feel she's such a strong character, but things got away from me during play and Brett ended up as sort of acting like he's in charge. This might change.]
[** I do believe the keyword generation has given Mimic a sort of personality, huh.]

Solo RPG Gamer

Mar 16, 2017, 11:30:03 AM3/16/17
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying
This was played using a Javascript "oracle" (basically a GM "emulator") that incorporates some text generation/parsing techniques.

In this case, I've fed it four different asteroid/comet disaster movie scripts that act as the "voice" of each of the characters. Hema has "Meteor", Catherine has "Asteroid", MIMIC has "Armageddon" and Brett has "Deep Impact."

It took a bit of time to get into the groove because there is a certain tension between what the the prompt cards in OLBH want you to say for dice bonuses and what the parsed text from the movie scripts want you to say. In some cases, I had to dig deeper into the parsed results and sort of cherry pick the words, but in other cases I just went with what the text suggested, and it worked out great (for my tastes anyway).

The way I'm setting the "oracle" odds of something being true is by estimating the ratio of words from the parser vs those I just used without the parser's help. Parser generated words that I used are between brackets "[]". Anything following a character's name like so ("Bret: blah blah [blah] blah.") is dialogue said by that character.

I have some other thoughts at the very end of this post, after the "history log", but they have spoilers.

****************WHAT HAPPENED SO FAR*********************

------------------------ Act 1 - Scene 2 ---------------------------

[the ship was now travelling at less than the speed of sound but once they reached as far as the end of the] inner [solar system], [they would] increase [speed as much as it was] physically [safe for them to do so].

hema [and] catherine [were lost in] conversation [at the big room that did double duty as the break and conference room].

hema: i [would have] been [worried in the] past [about] taking such [a] risk.

Catherine: [do you mean our mission]?

hema: my father. [he went on an exploratory mission and did not come back]. [i think of the challenger II often]. [none of it has left me]

catherine: but [you are here now. what] changed?

she (Hema) [was] silent for [a few moments].

hema: [i wish i could say i] found courage. i [just] do [not have long] to live. (secret card played) i [have been] diagnosed [with] brain cancer.

catherine: i [am sorry]

hema: [i am ok]. [i have come to] accept [it as my] fate.

catherine: [that is in fact down right] brave.

(I got a special event below, corresponding to "yes, but". The "but" is filled in by the oracle from a past game event.)

hema: [why do you think that]?

[she asked with a touch of] annoyance [that she could not] hide despite [herself]. " is true

but because "hema: [i am ok]. [i have come to] accept [it as my] fate. " happened a chain of events has rippled from it to this point in time.

Somehow, that chain has influenced the present answer. What happened?
]

(Basically, that hema was annoyed with Catherine is true. I answer the "what happened?" from the oracle with the fact below.)

hema [did not feel like a] hero [because] accepting [her] death [was not a] choice. [it was simply an] inevitable [fact].

catherine [was taken back] somewhat (by hema's apparent annoyance at what she said). hema [was her] hero [in other] ways. [she] respected [her] brilliancy [and her work].

(Here, I think that the scene's "climax" occurs, and is time to face the first Threat-- which I will do in the next session.)

******************HISTORY LOG******************

------------------------ Act 1 - Scene 2 ---------------------------

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): [the ship was now travelling at less than the speed of sound but once they reached as far as the end of the] inner [solar system], [they would] increase [speed as much as it was] physically [safe for them to do so].

hema [and] catherine [were lost in] conversation [at the big room that did double duty as the break and conference room].

Is the statement below true?

(False/No): hema: [they spot nine or ten] meteors every [year]. [many of them strike our planet but] do little [damage].

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): hema: i [would have] been [worried in the] past [about] taking such [a] risk.

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): Catherine: [do you on mean our mission]?

Is the statement below true?

(False/No): Hema: [not our] mission. just [the new] plan.

Is the statement below true?

(False/No): [yes], [she] said. [you understand, the technology] has [never before] been put [to the test] and...

Is the statement below true?

(False/No): hema: my father. [he went on an exploratory mission and did not come back]. [i think of the challenger ii often]. [none of it has left me.]

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): (from stack):
hema: my father. [he went on an exploratory mission and did not come back]. [i think of[ the [challenger ii often]. [none of it has left me]

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): catherine: but [you are here now. what] changed?

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): she [was] silent for [a few moments]. hema: [i wish i could say i] found courage. i [just] do [not have long] to live. (secret card played) i [have been] diagnosed [with] brain cancer.

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): catherine: i [am sorry].

Is the statement below true?

(False/No): hema: [do not be]. [who knows if i would have] agreed [to be be here] otherwise.

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): hema: [i am ok]. [i have come to] accept [it as my] fate.

Is the statement below true?

(False/No): Catherine: you [are so] brave.

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): catherine: [that is in fact down right] brave.

[Special: "hema: [why do you think that]? [she asked with a touch of] annoyance [that she could not] hide despite [herself]. " is true, but because "hema: [i am ok]. [i have come to] accept [it as my] fate. " happened a chain of events has rippled from it to this point in time. Somehow, that chain has influenced the present answer. What happened?]

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): hema [did not feel like a] hero [because] accepting [her] death [was not a] choice. [it was simply an] inevitable [fact].

Is the statement below true?

(True/Yes): catherine [was taken back] somewhat. hema [was her] hero [in other] ways. [she] respected [her] brilliancy [and her work].

*********************************

I was hoping to play the "crazy" card for Hema in this scene, and that needed to show some way in which Catherine drove Hema nuts. Instead, due to how the movie transcript text came out at a particular point, it "demanded" that I play the "secret" card instead (i.e. reveal that Hema has been diagnosed with brain cancer). This is the type of unexpected direction I want from the oracle.

I still managed to more or less start establishing that Hema is starting to find Catherine somewhat annoying, which might segue into playing the "crazy" card if they get to do another scene together.

Solo RPG Gamer

Mar 16, 2017, 11:31:20 AM3/16/17
to solo...@googlegroups.com
****************WHAT HAPPENED SO FAR**********************
------------------------ Act 1 - Scene 2 - Threat: Diminishing Oxygen From Leak ---------------------------

mimic: [alert alert]! [oxygen] levels decreasing due to leak.

mimic: oxygen [will be sucked out into outer space] unless [it gets] plugged.

Brett comes looking for Hema and Catherine.

Brett: "MIMIC, can you locate the leak?"

mimic: [l am trying to]

hema: [why not look for a loss of] pressure?

mimic: [terrible idea], hema. [just] kidding. [l am going to] look [into it right] now.

mimic: [it is in there]. [a lot] worse than [l] thought it was [goin to be].

Brett: How much time do we have?

mimic: [well], [the environment is going] to [be vacuum] in [two] hours. you [do not really want to] wait to [work on it].

Brett: I'll go.

hema: if [that spot] gets any [more] large [it could] suck you [off] into [the] vacuum out [there].

Brett: Have faith Hema.

He says this as he touches the Buddhist beads in his pocket.

Brett: Besides, Duct tape fixes everything.

He says this trying to lighten the mood somewhat.

catherine: [i want to] help [stop that] leak.

Brett: OK. There could be more than one that needs to be patched.

************** Game mechanics were engaged starting at this point. Whatever statements I put to the oracle which played out 'true', I then immediately copied in my ongoing conflict resolution as color.
Due to not having a computer handy at the time, some narrative flourishes were added after the mechanical conflict was resolved. Some of these were added without consulting the oracle, because I had already imagined them a certain way (mainly how hema and Catherine were dealing with their Threat). ***********

(Narratively, I imagined Brett and Catherine struggling with a roll of duct tape trying to cover a leak. On successes, they are able to plug one part, while on failure the hole causing the leak gets bigger. Duct tape is ridiculous, but this is a B disaster movie! Brett won Rounds 1 and 2 which reduced the level of the threat. But Round 3 was even which brought in another unexpected Threat by way of the Event Pool. Hema had to take on this new threat.).

Narrator: the [sound of] alarms called for [their] attention.

Hema what [now]??

MIMIC: [sorry]. i [l thought you might want to know that something is up with your] propulsion system.

Narrator: [the] cooling mechanism of [the nuclear propulsion system] was overheating.

"Oh great, now we might get blown to pieces," thought Brett. He turned to Catherine and said, "You two know it best. I'll be OK here."

Narrator: hema and catherine went [to the main] control for [critical functions] to help MIMIC [slow down the reactor]

(Round 4: In order to take on the Oxygen Leak Threat alone, I decide that Brett uses his second touchtone, that he left behind: "The orphanage he set up in rural Tibet.")

Brett thinks: "I must do it for the kids I left behind. They must have a future."

(Brett wins this roll too, reducing the Threat level again.)

(In the meantime...at the main control Hema and Catherine are taking on the Overheating Propulsion System Threat. They are trying to troubleshoot the issue through the control software. )
(Both were successful in their rolls, so they also bring down their respective Threat one level.)

Brett calls Catherine for help, thinking that Hema has things under control.

(Round 5

(hema fails her check and takes harm.)
Narrator: the ship shook violently and [she fell] on [the] floor hard.

(Brett and Catherine are successful in their roll.)

Brett: "Finally, we did it! We plugged the leak."
Catherine: [i know you] are happy, but [we are minutes from] having the propulsion system [blow us up]!

Brett: [she was] exasperated with [me]. (Catherine plays her Crazy card for two story points)

(Round 6: Brett plays Hema's Fear card for 2 story points increasing the level of the Propulsion System Overheating Threat by one.
Hema is afraid of a painful death, so she is afraid of radiation poisoning and its extremely painful effects. I did not consult the oracle for this decision.
Hema and Catherine fail their rolls and take harm. More violent shaking of the ship.)

(Round 7: Hema will use her What You Brought
Touchstone: "Her desire for meaning". She is thinking, "I can't go out like this, with my life wasted for naught." Catherine is still helping, looking at the readings and relaying them to Hema. They still fail and take harm again. Ship keeps shaking violently. )

(Round 8: Hema and Catherine fail their rolls again. Both take harm and Hema is at her limit, so mechanically she should die. But she is playing her death card, which resolves all remaining threats and reduces her harm to zero.)

Narrator: The violent shaking throws Hema across the room. [she] picked herself [up and went to the] controls again. They saw that the leak had thrown off some sensors, causing the overheating. [the] shaking [of the ship] stopped [when she sent the final] command to [the system].

[it was a] close call [and everyone in that ship] knew [it]

(Talk about a bad set of rolls for poor Hema.)

******The fiddly bits can be found at this link: OLBH Actual Play

Solo RPG Gamer

May 26, 2017, 5:28:40 PM5/26/17
to solo...@googlegroups.com

Short short scene. Not much oracle use, except for the parser text suggestions (which are really like an oracle in of themselves-- I've included sample image at end of post). Decided to codify a play rule (for predictive text usage) that I've used for other actual plays implicitly. I think it sometimes makes more sense to interpret the meaning of some sentences into dialogue. Like, the parser spits out suggestions, and I pick out the one that seems to convey an idea the character express, but I "translate" it into prettier dialogue.

The parser text is in parentheses and brackets ([like so]), while the prettified dialogue is in double quotes.

------------------------ Act 1 - Scene 3 (Catherine & Brett) ---------------------------

Catherine: ([is is not gonna do it]) "This ship is not going to make it."

She said this to Brett as he entered the break room.

Brett: "What do you mean?"
Catherine: ([not take my word for it]) "Don't take my word for it. You saw what happened."
Brett: "You mean the breach?"
Catherine: ([happened it was the echo of])"everything. it was all an echo of our near future."
Brett: "the things that drive our destiny are many." he shrugged.
Catherine: ([he teaches philosophy in chicago you]) "Are you a philosophy major or something?"
Brett: No. Why?
Catherine: ([he is down right dull chase]) "Because you are downright dull, Brett. No offense." She says that and walks off out of the break room.

------------------------ END ---------------------------

Cut! That's a wrap for this scene. Very very (very!) short, but I think it was perfect for how he drives her crazy.

Time to bring out the threat. That will be the next play log whenever I get a chance.

Next will be the scene's threat, probably taken on by Catherine.

Solo RPG Gamer

May 30, 2017, 9:09:04 AM5/30/17
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

Used the oracle to establish a few things first, then continued with using the text parser to drive banter, etc.

***************

(I've decided that what drives Brett 'crazy' about Catherine is her pessimism and animosity towards him. I will filter the text parser results for Catherine through the lens of the pessimism she displayed during their last spotlight scene.

Randomly selected "Fire Near The Fuel Tanks". Randomly determined that Catherine won't take on the threat. Since Hema already used her death card, Brett will take on the threat again. Randomly determined that Hema will help.

Brett -1 point to add one dice . -1 point to use Fire Extinguisher asset. (3W vs 2B)
Hema - 1 point to remove one dice from the threat: 3W vs 1B)

----Act 1 - Scene 3 - Taking on Threat----

MIMIC: ([over paul this is houston fire]) "Houston we got a problem. There's a fire next to the left fuel tank."
Brett: "Just what we needed. I'll go MIMIC. Turn off propulsion."
MIMIC: ([blow this thing up from the]) "If the tank explodes, it will blow this thing up from the-"
Brett: "I GET IT, MIMIC. Just do what I told you."
MIMIC: ([you got that - okay])"OK, you got it, Brett."

(Hema arrives just as Brett is starting to use the fire extinguisher.)
Hema: ([listen carefully exit from the]) "Brett, listen carefully. We can deplete the oxygen in the room to help starve the fire."
Brett: "That's a good idea. MIMIC, is it possible to seal off this section of the craft?"
MIMIC: ([yes - do we have a]) "Yes, we do have breach resistant gates."
Brett: "OK, do as Hema says."
MIMIC: ([leave now here is the key]) "I will do once you are out of the area."

(Rolled: 2,2,3 for White. 2 for Black. Hema's plan worked.)

MIMIC: ([ in the balls and you]) "Hema's plan has kicked the fire in the balls. Metaphorically speaking."
Brett: "Um...I hope it did, MIMIC." To Hema, softly: "Seems like the software engineers had a little fun building MIMIC."
Hema: ([a gigantic fireworks display thank you]) "I'm just glad we didn't become a gigantic fireworks display, Brett." She says smiling.
Brett: "Excellent point," he smiles. "Excellent plan too. MIMIC, is it safe to go look at the damage?"
MIMIC: ([yeah basically - let me get ]) "Yeah, basically. Let me get some oxygen circulating in there again, though."
Brett: "OK. We'll go check on Catherine in the meantime."

************

Since there were no sixes rolled, the Event Pool did not grow. The normal rule is that you move to Act II once the pool has grown to 3 dice per player. Right now we're at only 4 dice, and I'd need at least five more spotlight scenes to move on to Act II. I'm not sure I can sustain my interest that long, particularly creating and taking on four new threats (at least!). There's just not enough crunch-- how you solve each threat is just window dressing, so I could almost just build the dice pool, roll the results, and write the fiction afterwards.

Depending on how I feel during Scene 4, I might need to invoke the game's alternate rule of capping the number of Act 1 spotlight scenes. Maybe doing the next spotlight as a flashback taking place somewhere other than the spaceship might help.

Solo RPG Gamer

May 30, 2017, 9:10:29 AM5/30/17
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying
Keeping track of resources:

Brett:
+2 story points to start
+2 story points for playing Hema's secret card
+2 story points because we had to move one 6B result to the Event Pool
-1 story point to use the trusty Duct Tape
-1 story point to use the Fire Extinguisher (Act 1 - scene 3)
Total story points: 4
used his two touchstones (Buddhist Faith and orphanage)

Hema:
+2 story points to start
+2 story points for playing Brett's Fear card
-1 to reduce threat level while helping Brett (Act 1 - scene 3)
total story points: 3
used her touchstone "Desire for meaning"
played her death card (need to die according to it to add +2W dice to the Final Crisis pool; otherwise it will add +2B)

Catherine:
+2 story points to start
+2 story points for playing Hema's fear card.
+2 points for playing her crazy card
Total story points: 6

Plan story points:
2 per player.
Total: 6

Event Pool
3 Black dice
+1 6B (Act 1 - Scene 2)
Total dice: 4

Act 1 will end when there are 9 dice in the Event pool (3 per character/player)

Additionally:
Bret has: Hema's secret card (used) and Catherine's Fear card
Hema has: Catherine's secret card and Bret's fear card (used)
Catherine has: Bret's secret card and Hema's fear card (used)

Solo RPG Gamer

Jun 9, 2017, 10:52:10 PM6/9/17
to solo...@googlegroups.com

Turns out I overlooked one rule of the game that says Threats should always equal the number of players. I don't know that it really affects me much, since I've been rolling randomly for what threats to take on.

As for whether I'll go beyond this last upcoming Threat before moving on to Act 2, I'm not sure yet. I can say that spotlight scenes keep my interest afloat as I dig into the personalities of the characters (with the help of the text parser for Hema and Catherine).

Speaking of the parser, I had to dig a bit into the generated content at times during this session for something that spoke to the context. It wasn't too bad, though, and the phrases that made sense still surprised me.

Interestingly, it took me more time for me to think about what I wanted to say as Brett, which requires no parser. Had this been a social game, I wouldn't have had the privilege to think about it so much. Yay for solo gaming.

Let's see how it goes when I take on the Threat next session.

p.s. I don't have a precise visualization of the character's environment. It's just vaguely the inside of a spaceship, though it feels somewhat big. Big enough that these two were able to have a short conversation with pregnant pauses and everything on the way to see catherine.  I'm pretty sure that if I really thought about it, it'd be ridiculous...but i"M not going to think about it.

------------------------ Act 1 - Scene 4 - Brett & Hema ---------------------------

(on the way to check on catherine...)

brett: "when we get there, maybe it's better if you check on her."

hema: ([ i would be grateful to her]) "i'll be glad to."

brett: "thanks. it's just that things are a bit awkward between her and i right now."

hema: ([throughout the day any second now]) "they've been awkward throughout the day." she smiles.

brett: "oh, so you have noticed."

hema: ([have picked up another splinter ]) "i pick up things here and there." clearly meant as an understatement.

brett chuckles.

after a brief pause, hema says: ([involved in construction of such an])"so i heard you were involved in the construction of an orphanage."

brett nods. "in tibet. an old girlfriend and i always talked about adopting a kid from tibet. i guess it stayed in my mind."

a pause. hema: ([before the disaster in the minds])"before my illness, i had children in mind too...([took him to a hospital six]) Then I was taken to a hospital and found out I had six months to live."

brett: "i'm sorry."

hema: ([sorry to do this to you ]) "No. It's me who should be sorry for bringing you down."

Brett puts his hand on her shoulder. "No, please. I'm here for you."

Another pause. Hema: ([ mind signing it sir thank you]) "Thank you."

Brett: "Don't thank me. Just promise me you'll come see the kids with me when we blow this asteroid to hell.

Hema: ([ hello - will do as i]) "Yes...I'll go and say hello." She smiles.

------------------------ END SCENE--------------------------

Solo RPG Gamer

Jun 16, 2017, 9:32:26 AM6/16/17
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying
I think this scene came out well. It was fun, in part because I got to engage more with the crunchy bits, and also got to engage with the parser (which output is the closest thing I've felt to roleplaying with someone, especially when the phrases pretty much demand no interpretation, or something close to that.)

Still using the text parser for dialogue and also now for a "Narrator" who might frame the scene. I'm using the the movie transcript text assigned to MIMIC (the MIMIC 'voice') for the Narrator and NPCs in this scene at least.

I've still had to occasionally dig deeper into the parsed text for phrases that fit the context, especially when the conversations relate to relationships between characters. Chalk that down to the downside of randomness and the contents of the movie transcripts. A well chosen or constructed text to parse might fix this but I'm committed to the texts I assigned.

Solo RPG Gamer

Jun 21, 2017, 11:06:36 PM6/21/17
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

Every character gets one more spotlight scene, so 3 scenes. Also three more Threats, which I'll roll randomly after each scene.

Solo RPG Gamer

Jun 21, 2017, 11:08:50 PM6/21/17
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

I messed up another rule regarding effects after a roll. I thought only amounts above 5 or above caused effects. we should have taken harm in some rolls, and the threats should have been reduced further in other rolls. When Black dice were added to the event pool, we should have gotten story points too, but I forgot.

So, it kinda balances out, but it's stupid, because I think I played it correctly before. I need a cheat sheet.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?798339-Our-Last-Best-Hope-The-Killer-Asteroid&p=21179261#post21179261