I AM the dear god!

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

Haha! I have returned, for now. I've been to Canada and back, gotten far
too much girl's clothing, played far too much Diablo II (as a
non-summoning necromancer. I AM a massochist), and decided to post.

1, 3, 4, 5 are fluff
2 is mostly fluff, but vaguely relevant
6 and 7 are actual questions.
8 and 9 relate to s.s.b-b

1)
You know you're a kinky geek when:
You use small locks to hold down the D key to get rid of the 3500 messages
on S.S.B-B.

2)
About the subbie thing: could it be possible he was refering to a specific
type of bottom/sub/etc? To me, subbie calls up a definate image of a
regressive, cuddly, tactile, gentle submissive, with overtones of
hyperactivity... but that might just be beacuse I'm a regressive, cuddly,
tacti.... ooo, shiny...

3) Winter is coming. yAAAAY! Mumification season! (duct tape in the summer
just does NOT work.)

4) Anyone wanna contrinbute to the 'get sethie a Pain Slut t-shirt' fund?

5) Earthdawn is back! (You want a masochsitic experience? try finding a
group for an obscure, out of print, fantasy RPG that uses fifty billion
different types of dice)

6) I WANT LASER HAIR REMOVAL! I've talked about this on the local Boi
mailing list, and it seems that it's going to cost me 3000$ or so for my
face alone, in about five treatments, nevermind the cost of legs, arms,
and other sundry bits. Anyone haev any experience?

7) Anyone know if it's possible to get the back of your neck pierced? Keep
in mind I'm ona those skinny folk with a pretty bony neck.

8) seems I missed a vampirism thread. Was it any good?

9) I have a theory: Shermie is a secret plant by Bill Gates to draw
attention away from the trial..

Seth Fogarty bipsum

Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin

Janet Miles

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Seth J. Fogarty <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> 7) Anyone know if it's possible to get the back of your neck pierced? Keep
> in mind I'm ona those skinny folk with a pretty bony neck.

I have seen pictures (I think on the BME site, but I wouldn't swear to that)
of back-of-neck piercings. I don't know what's involved in them, though.

Welcome back, by the way -- I've missed your posts and was just thinking
about you the other day.

JanetM
posted
--
Janet Miles (jmi...@usit.net) <www.public.usit.net/jmiles>
Loyal Webcrafter: PenUltimate Productions <www.worthlink.net/~ysabet>

LadyGold

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:35:16 -0500, "Seth J. Fogarty"
<sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>About the subbie thing: could it be possible he was refering to a specific
>type of bottom/sub/etc? To me, subbie calls up a definate image of a
>regressive, cuddly, tactile, gentle submissive, with overtones of
>hyperactivity... but that might just be beacuse I'm a regressive, cuddly,
>tacti.... ooo, shiny...

<grinning> Welcome back, my favorite blush target.

For those of you who have arrived since Seth has been gone, he has
this wonderfully incredible blush reaction to just about anything.
Now, I'm not a Domme, but I do have this barely perceptible tendency
(TM- PtF) to enjoying watching a cute young fella blush. <eg>

Who says submissives can't be sadists?

LadyGold, High Sheriff of Nettingham, OCF
--

"Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be
restrained." -- William Blake

Kristal

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10007...@ux13.cso.uiuc.edu>,

"Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

Boi
> mailing list,

What is a Boi?

Kristal

NBarnes

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
"Seth J. Fogarty" wrote:

> Haha! I have returned, for now. I've been to Canada and back,
> gotten far too much girl's clothing, played far too much Diablo II
> (as a non-summoning necromancer. I AM a massochist), and decided to
> post.

I burned out quick on D2. It has _no_ depth and the class balance
is _abysmal_. The top of the ladder is _all_ about necros and
barbarians. The other classes can't even come close to the efficiency.
I'm going back to Everquest.
It had, like, what, 12 hours of play before beating the game? That's
awful, your average Final Fantasy has about 30-40 hours. And the
strategic pacing sucked. It has some great, innovative design elements,
but the fundamental play experience is only good for a very short while,
in my experience. And while I'm convinced that Blizzard _will_
eventually fix the problem, bat.net is a _nightmare_ right now. Go
ahead, play a closed character. I dare you. You think non-summoning
necros are painful? Just _try_ to create a game.
Non-summoning necros, though... dang. Yes, you are a masochist.

> 5) Earthdawn is back! (You want a masochsitic experience? try finding a
> group for an obscure, out of print, fantasy RPG that uses fifty billion
> different types of dice)

I always loved Earthdawn. The system was passable (I'm ever
increasingly drawn to systemless roleplaying. The combats, among other
things, tend to be _much_ more satisfying), but I loved the background.
Great reasons to have actual dungeons filled with treasures and
horrible... well, Horrors.

> 6) I WANT LASER HAIR REMOVAL! I've talked about this on the local Boi
> mailing list, and it seems that it's going to cost me 3000$ or so for my
> face alone, in about five treatments, nevermind the cost of legs, arms,
> and other sundry bits. Anyone haev any experience?

I keep looking at this (I'm hairier than I'd like), but lasers aren't
permanent, from everything I've read. I'm waiting for something
better. Someday. *sigh*

NBarnes

Spyral Fox

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
In article <ahs2osk82j9p0tjc0...@4ax.com>, Frites
<fri...@address.below> writes:

> Is that really what you want? An expensive and non-permananent
>technique? See http://www.tsroadmap.com/hair/haircompare.html
>which says, "no one has reported verifiable permanent hair removal
>using any method other than electrolysis". This site also has
>lots of other information.

Hmmm... from what I recall of the medlit (don't have the right
computer here to check) the lasar process is showing results
that are roughly equivalent to electrolysis. It sitll takes multiple
sessions, there is still some grow-back after a treatment of
hairs whose roots were not quite killed. And, of course, the
lasar method is (currently) more expensive than electrolysis.
Anyone have anything around where they can look it up?

- - Spyral Fox
--
... a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves
San Diego Resources: http://members.aol.com/spyralfox/

slave kat

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
I talked to a friend of mine who's heavily into piercings... she says the
back of the neck is usually avoided because it's far too close to the spine
and a bunch of nerves that you REALLY need.

slave kat
Bound by Master Bob

"Janet Miles" <jmi...@usit.net> wrote in message

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Frites wrote:

> "Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>

> >6) I WANT LASER HAIR REMOVAL! I've talked about this on the local Boi
> >mailing list, and it seems that it's going to cost me 3000$ or so for my
> >face alone, in about five treatments, nevermind the cost of legs, arms,
> >and other sundry bits. Anyone haev any experience?
>

> Is that really what you want? An expensive and non-permananent
> technique? See http://www.tsroadmap.com/hair/haircompare.html
> which says, "no one has reported verifiable permanent hair removal
> using any method other than electrolysis". This site also has
> lots of other information.

um. well, people have reported non-recurrance of hair, but since it hasn't
been around long enough to be offically called "permanent', they it's not.
But, using Andogen (spelling bad), I know people who're still hairless
after 4 years. THe expensive part is what's killing me.

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Frites wrote:

> technique? See http://www.tsroadmap.com/hair/haircompare.html

er, at doesn't work...

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Janet Miles wrote:

> Seth J. Fogarty <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>

> > 7) Anyone know if it's possible to get the back of your neck pierced? Keep
> > in mind I'm ona those skinny folk with a pretty bony neck.
>
> I have seen pictures (I think on the BME site, but I wouldn't swear to that)
> of back-of-neck piercings. I don't know what's involved in them, though.
>
> Welcome back, by the way -- I've missed your posts and was just thinking
> about you the other day.

eeep! Now you're gonna make me fell all guilty.
but, but, it was diablo ii!

and that's www.bme.com? I think? anyone?

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, LadyGold wrote:

> <grinning> Welcome back, my favorite blush target.
>
> For those of you who have arrived since Seth has been gone, he has
> this wonderfully incredible blush reaction to just about anything.
> Now, I'm not a Domme, but I do have this barely perceptible tendency
> (TM- PtF) to enjoying watching a cute young fella blush. <eg>

All right... and for the LAST GODAAMN TIME! I DO NOT BLUSH!
I sunburn. Indoors. At night. When I'm stressed. And I heal quickly. THIS
IS NOT BLUSHING.
:grumble grumble:
:sunburn:

Who says submissives can't be sadists?

Bewsare, lest I be forced to break open a can of rubber-band whupass on
you. (anyone tell I got a new batch of rubber-band guns?)

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On 28 Jul 2000, Kristal wrote:

> In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10007...@ux13.cso.uiuc.edu>,

> "Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>

> Boi
> > mailing list,
>
> What is a Boi?

AKA Nancy boy, femmy boy. It's not my fault all the pretty cllothign is
made for girls (and yet strangely fits an underweight, hipsless,
breastless male. Go figure.) General term for someone who dresses in
"women's" clothing and/or wears makeup and/or is femining/effimenate, but
isn't transgendered or a crossdresser. (Although maintaining an
adnrogynous/confusing appearance is usually a goal.)

please excuse the spelling, lag to the unix server that hosts my email.

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, NBarnes wrote:

> "Seth J. Fogarty" wrote:
>
> > Haha! I have returned, for now. I've been to Canada and back,
> > gotten far too much girl's clothing, played far too much Diablo II
> > (as a non-summoning necromancer. I AM a massochist), and decided to
> > post.
>
> I burned out quick on D2. It has _no_ depth and the class balance
> is _abysmal_. The top of the ladder is _all_ about necros and
> barbarians. The other classes can't even come close to the efficiency.
> I'm going back to Everquest.

not anymore :) necro's got revive killed (35 mana instead of 1), and, well
sorcerors and paladins are seriously coming into their own. Necros are the
favorite, no doubt, and everyone likes barbarians, but they aren't
necesarilly overpowered, especially in a group.

> It had, like, what, 12 hours of play before beating the game? That's
> awful, your average Final Fantasy has about 30-40 hours

Well, I'm not that good :) and keep starting over. But I never likd the
Final Fantasies. Too much of a linear plot, too little in-combat strategy
for me. I'm mouch more of a fan of Daggerfall/Baldur's Gate/etc type
games. Diabl o is a vice for me... I can admit it's damn-near impossible
to acctually roleplay, and I can admit that the plot is linear and
directed and stuff, but I just enjoy it. Dunno.

. And the
> strategic pacing sucked. It has some great, innovative design elements,
> but the fundamental play experience is only good for a very short while,
> in my experience. And while I'm convinced that Blizzard _will_
> eventually fix the problem, bat.net is a _nightmare_ right now. Go
> ahead, play a closed character. I dare you. You think non-summoning
> necros are painful? Just _try_ to create a game.

:nods: yeah. it's getting better, but I'm still lpaying mostly open
characters.

> Non-summoning necros, though... dang. Yes, you are a masochist.

Curses. I love curses. And, well, summoning in an mplayer game... I could
be a barbarian adn be more effective than a golem, and have more fun. It's
all about the curses.

> > 5) Earthdawn is back! (You want a masochsitic experience? try finding
> > group for an obscure, out of print, fantasy RPG that uses fifty billion
> > different types of dice)
>
> I always loved Earthdawn. The system was passable (I'm ever
> increasingly drawn to systemless roleplaying. The combats, among other
> things, tend to be _much_ more satisfying), but I loved the background.
> Great reasons to have actual dungeons filled with treasures and
> horrible... well, Horrors.

Much agreement about systemless or minimal system rping, but yes... the
history of earthdawn was great. I mean, they even had group pattersn... a
REASON for a party to stay together, and, I dunno, it's just such a great
background, and it has all these nice touches, and it isn't just hack and
slash... you have to worry about corruption, and who the good guys are,
and and it's nice.

> > 6) I WANT LASER hAIR REMOVAL! I've talked about this on the local Boi

> > mailing list, and it seems that it's going to cost me 3000$ or so for my
> > face alone, in about five treatments, nevermind the cost of legs, arms,
> > and other sundry bits. Anyone haev any experience?
>

> I keep looking at this (I'm hairier than I'd like), but lasers aren't
> permanent, from everything I've read. I'm waiting for something
> better. Someday. *sigh*

well... I dunno. Some of the recent ones are damn-near permanent, at least
for 3-5 years. I'm going to wait for it o get better, and cheaper, but I
think there is one kind which is close to being verified perm.

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, slave kat wrote:

> I talked to a friend of mine who's heavily into piercings... she says the
> back of the neck is usually avoided because it's far too close to the spine
> and a bunch of nerves that you REALLY need.

but what is the actual risk Is there a chance of nerve damage? I've only
heard of nerve dmage through piercing when the metal passed righ through
the area the nerves were running through, and there was infection. In
this case, it would be passing outsie the area? Is there a chance of
damage? A thin surface piercing?
OTOH, if it rejects, oooow

puppygirl

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Try checking the archives of the Howard Stern show from last summer.
A young lady from NYC who owns a lasar studio was a guest with some of her
clients. They seem to have a guarantee that after 3 treatment of lasar that
uses fluctuating bandwidth, you will be hair free forever or they will
re-treat or return your $$$.
pup

Spyral Fox wrote in message
<20000728121605...@nso-bh.aol.com>...

Laura Antoniou

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
"Seth J. Fogarty" sfog...@students.uiuc.edu wrote:
<< > What is a Boi?

AKA Nancy boy, femmy boy. It's not my fault all the pretty cllothign is made
for girls (and yet strangely fits an underweight, hipsless, breastless male. Go
figure.) General term for someone who dresses in
"women's" clothing and/or wears makeup and/or is femining/effimenate, but isn't
transgendered or a crossdresser. (Although maintaining an adnrogynous/confusing
appearance is usually a goal.) >>

Well, that's interesting. My first introduction to the word spelled that way
was in reference to a female bodied, but masculine identified submissive, a
woman who was a 'boy', in the sense of a Daddy/boy relationship, but wanted to
stress that she was not transitioning to male or male from birth.
Laura

The Academy; Tales of the Marketplace, now available!
Bookstores, amazon.com, bn.com, and via:
the Marketplace Web site: www.iron-rose.com/marketplace

Violet Tigress

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
In article <20000728121605...@nso-bh.aol.com>,
spyr...@aol.com (Spyral Fox) wrote:

the lasar process is showing results
> that are roughly equivalent to electrolysis.

*************
Lasers?! *cringing* There are juust some areas I don't think a laser
should be pointed at. Is it just me or does the thought bother anyone
else?

Miss Kitty

Velvet Wood

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
"Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> writes:

> Well, I'm not that good :) and keep starting over. But I never likd the
> Final Fantasies. Too much of a linear plot, too little in-combat strategy
> for me. I'm mouch more of a fan of Daggerfall/Baldur's Gate/etc type
> games. Diabl o is a vice for me... I can admit it's damn-near impossible
> to acctually roleplay, and I can admit that the plot is linear and
> directed and stuff, but I just enjoy it. Dunno.

We just got the last Final Fantasy, and while it's absolutely beautiful,
it's extremely aggravating to not have control over our character. Especially
since the character is invariably a total asshole. I like *real* role-playing
games where if your character/s decide to kill something it's because you
chose for them to do so, not because the game mechanics can't handle anything
other than a static plot. Have y'all tried the Might and Magic series of
games? They're *very* nice first person view/multiple character party
type games. Nice enough graphics too. Maybe a bit too easy if you have
patience, but definately fun. I also really like Heroes of Might and Magic...
set in the same world but a strategy game rather than a role playing game.
Build armies, direct them in turn-based combat, develop your defenses,
that sort of thing. All of them are very economical, IMO. Might and Magic
VII and VIII both gave us about 20-40 hours of solid play time, and we didn't
even do all of the optional quests. Heroes with the 'Armegeddon's Blade'
expansion pack has given us over 40 already and we're not finished with it
yet.

Velvet

Fox

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00

"Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote in message

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, slave kat wrote:
>
> > I talked to a friend of mine who's heavily into piercings... she says
the
> > back of the neck is usually avoided because it's far too close to the
spine
> > and a bunch of nerves that you REALLY need.

well that's true but it comes down to the skill of the piercer doing it as
to whether it can be done or not, as long as your anatomy will support it.

> but what is the actual risk Is there a chance of nerve damage? I've only
> heard of nerve dmage through piercing when the metal passed righ through
> the area the nerves were running through, and there was infection. In
> this case, it would be passing outsie the area? Is there a chance of
> damage? A thin surface piercing?
> OTOH, if it rejects, oooow

well it's a surface (not a deep tissue) piercing and in an area that doesn't
have much slack skin (like my neck unfortunately) it's likely to reject. You
will need a proper surface bar (if your piercer comes out with a steel ring
or straight BB and says, "oh this should be ok" run like hell :)
As it's a surface piercing the risk of rejection is high, especially if you
wear high necked tops and/or a collar lots cos anything that rubs or
irritates the area just encourages the body to reject it.
There's not much risk of nerve damage as long as your piercer checks very
carefully when they clamp you. If when they clamp your skin you feel
numbness or tingling or anything like that then there's prolly a nerve
involved in the clamping. Get them to shift the clamps til it doesn't
involve anything nervy.
It may well be that you are not suited for this piercing (nape).
If you have a look at BME (www.bme.freeq.com) there are 78 pics (as well as
text experiences) of neck piercings, either front or back of the neck and
that can help you decide if it's right for you.
Please make sure you go to an experienced piercer for this one, the risks
are reasonably high that you could hit something bad or have it reject
really easily if they don't know what they're doing.
Ask if they've done them before or if they have pics of their work to give
you an idea of their skills (the pix should show well-placed healed
piercings that aren't just the usual nips, navels and tongue piercings)

I've been looking into having this piercing done too but it's looking like I
might not have enough loose skin to support it. I might go through with it
regardless and see what happens and just be prepared for it to reject at
some point.
anyway good luck with it if you do get it done

sorry to ramble on so much :)

rachel

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On 28 Jul 2000, Laura Antoniou wrote:

> "Seth J. Fogarty" sfog...@students.uiuc.edu wrote:
> << > What is a Boi?
>
> AKA Nancy boy, femmy boy. It's not my fault all the pretty cllothign is made
> for girls (and yet strangely fits an underweight, hipsless, breastless male. Go
> figure.) General term for someone who dresses in
> "women's" clothing and/or wears makeup and/or is femining/effimenate, but isn't
> transgendered or a crossdresser. (Although maintaining an adnrogynous/confusing
> appearance is usually a goal.) >>
>
> Well, that's interesting. My first introduction to the word spelled that way
> was in reference to a female bodied, but masculine identified submissive, a
> woman who was a 'boy', in the sense of a Daddy/boy relationship, but wanted to
> stress that she was not transitioning to male or male from birth.

hm! Weird. All the boi's I know are male bodies, androgynous/feminine
indentified, and not necesarilly submissive. Check
gothy_glam_bois_and_grrls@egroups and boi_fancy@egroups fer the piccies.
(most boi_fancy). Heh. Just a popular word, I guess.

Sethie the Manly Man

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Frites wrote:

> "Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> > http://www.tsroadmap.com/hair/haircompare.html
> doesn't work.
>
> Works fine for me. Maybe you have DNS problems.
> Try http://64.82.19.32/hair/haircompare.html

that worked... and the site didn't list the laser hair remoavl process I
was informed about. :shrugs: not gonna do it anytime soon, so I'll wait
for more stuff to come out.

thankee :)

Janet D. Miles

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:35:16 -0500, in messagewrote:

> 7) Anyone know if it's possible to get the back of your neck pierced? Keep
> in mind I'm ona those skinny folk with a pretty bony neck.

Something else I just thought of, don't know why I didn't remember it earlier,
is the newsgroup <rec.arts.bodyart>. Ask there; they know these things.

(That doesn't mean "go away", it means "get a second opinion from experts".)

JanetM
--
Posted by Janet Miles <jmi...@usit.net> <http://www.public.usit.net/jmiles>
SSBB Diplomatic Corps: East Tennessee

NBarnes

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
"Seth J. Fogarty" wrote:

> > > AKA Nancy boy, femmy boy. It's not my fault all the pretty
> > > cllothign is made for girls (and yet strangely fits an underweight,
> > > hipsless, breastless male. Go figure.) General term for someone who
> > > dresses in "women's" clothing and/or wears makeup and/or is
> > > femining/effimenate, but isn't transgendered or a crossdresser.
> > > (Although maintaining an adnrogynous/confusing appearance is
> > > usually a goal.)

> > Well, that's interesting. My first introduction to the word
> > spelled that way was in reference to a female bodied, but
> > masculine identified submissive, a woman who was a 'boy', in the
> > sense of a Daddy/boy relationship, but wanted to stress that she
> > was not transitioning to male or male from birth.
>
> hm! Weird. All the boi's I know are male bodies, androgynous/feminine
> indentified, and not necesarilly submissive. Check
> gothy_glam_bois_and_grrls@egroups and boi_fancy@egroups fer the
> piccies. (most boi_fancy). Heh. Just a popular word, I guess.

Can anybody point Katherine Hawks at this section of the thread?
I'd like to hear her point of view (well, I'm always interested in
hearing Ms. Hawks' PoV, but this time more than usual).

NBarnes

NBarnes

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
"Seth J. Fogarty" wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, NBarnes wrote:
> > "Seth J. Fogarty" wrote:

> > > Haha! I have returned, for now. I've been to Canada and back,
> > > gotten far too much girl's clothing, played far too much Diablo II
> > > (as a non-summoning necromancer. I AM a massochist), and decided to
> > > post.

> > I burned out quick on D2. It has _no_ depth and the class balance
> > is _abysmal_. The top of the ladder is _all_ about necros and
> > barbarians. The other classes can't even come close to the
> > efficiency. I'm going back to Everquest.

> not anymore :) necro's got revive killed (35 mana instead of 1), and,
> well sorcerors and paladins are seriously coming into their own.
> Necros are the favorite, no doubt, and everyone likes barbarians, but
> they aren't necesarilly overpowered, especially in a group.

Revived is still pretty amazing, though, when you get to Hell
difficulty and the monsters are all amazingly buff. Even with the
time limit and increased mana cost, Revived still kick ass. Also,
Iron Maiden with Revived is pretty killer. Add some Corpse Explosion
and, well, that's how you build a ladder necro.
Paladins are just like barbarians, only no Whirlwind. I've seen my
friend, who has a 42 barb and imagining him sans Whirlwind, he'd be
getting thrashed, taking too much damage and dealing too little,
even with 20 points in Sacrifice.
Sorceresses, which are my favored class (you get to run around in
spiffy, scanty green silk outfits, which I could never pull off IRL.
Plus, you get to call down orbital artillery strikes, which keeps
people from laughing at how you dress), are great in groups, because
they can chill all the monsters for orderly killing and Static Field
is _amazing_), especially against the boss monsters that necromancers
have so much trouble with. But sorceresses have a lot of trouble
taking out lots of monsters over time efficiently. Where a barbarian
can use a little bit of mana steal and get all his mana back hitting
things, a sorceress just can't make good her mana costs without standing
around for a few seconds after each fight, and that just kill her
efficiency.
Amazons are just in trouble. Sub-par offensive skills and _really_
sub-par defensive skills add up to weakness in all parts of the game at
35th level+.

> > It had, like, what, 12 hours of play before beating the game? That's
> > awful, your average Final Fantasy has about 30-40 hours

> Well, I'm not that good :) and keep starting over. But I never likd

> the Final Fantasies. Too much of a linear plot, too little in-combat
> strategy for me. I'm mouch more of a fan of

> Daggerfall/Baldur's Gate/etc type games. Diablo is a vice for me... I

> can admit it's damn-near impossible to acctually roleplay, and I can
> admit that the plot is linear and directed and stuff, but I just enjoy
> it. Dunno.

Oh, I agree with you on Final Fantasy. They look great, but they're
totally linear and hardly role-playing games at all. And the gameplay
is usually pretty simplistic. Diablo I/II's strength has always been
the gameplay; simple interface, but lots of different skills and
tactics to use, making for a wonderfully flexible and interesting
moment-to-moment play experience.

> > And the strategic pacing sucked. It has some great, innovative
> > design elements, but the fundamental play experience is only good
> > for a very short while, in my experience. And while I'm convinced
> > that Blizzard _will_ > eventually fix the problem, bat.net is a
> > _nightmare_ right now. Go ahead, play a closed character. I dare
> > you. You think non-summoning necros are painful? Just _try_ to
> > create a game.

> :nods: yeah. it's getting better, but I'm still lpaying mostly open

> characters.=

> > Non-summoning necros, though... dang. Yes, you are a masochist.

> Curses. I love curses. And, well, summoning in an mplayer game... I
> could be a barbarian adn be more effective than a golem, and have more
> fun. It's all about the curses.

Curses are good, but they screwed up the design. All the best curses
are at the top of the tree; you really just don't need much more than
Amplify Damage and Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden especially, it rules.

> > > 5) Earthdawn is back! (You want a masochsitic experience? try
> > > finding a group for an obscure, out of print, fantasy RPG that
> > > uses fifty billion different types of dice)

> > I always loved Earthdawn. The system was passable (I'm ever
> > increasingly drawn to systemless roleplaying. The combats, among other
> > things, tend to be _much_ more satisfying), but I loved the background.
> > Great reasons to have actual dungeons filled with treasures and
> > horrible... well, Horrors.

> Much agreement about systemless or minimal system rping, but yes... the
> history of earthdawn was great. I mean, they even had group pattersn... a
> REASON for a party to stay together, and, I dunno, it's just such a great
> background, and it has all these nice touches, and it isn't just hack and
> slash... you have to worry about corruption, and who the good guys are,
> and and it's nice.

/agree.

> > > 6) I WANT LASER hAIR REMOVAL! I've talked about this on the local
> > > Boi mailing list, and it seems that it's going to cost me 3000$
> > > or so for my face alone, in about five treatments, nevermind the
> > > cost of legs, arms, and other sundry bits. Anyone haev any
> > > experience?

> > I keep looking at this (I'm hairier than I'd like), but lasers
> > aren't permanent, from everything I've read. I'm waiting for
> > something better. Someday. *sigh*

> well... I dunno. Some of the recent ones are damn-near permanent, at
> least for 3-5 years. I'm going to wait for it o get better, and
> cheaper, but I think there is one kind which is close to being
> verified perm.

*crosses fingers*

NBarnes

NBarnes

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
Velvet Wood wrote:

> "Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> writes:

> > Well, I'm not that good :) and keep starting over. But I never
> > likd the Final Fantasies. Too much of a linear plot, too little
> > in-combat strategy for me. I'm mouch more of a fan of

> > Daggerfall/Baldur's Gate/etc type games. Diabl o is a vice for me...

> > I can admit it's damn-near impossible to acctually roleplay, and I
> > can admit that the plot is linear and directed and stuff, but I
> > just enjoy it. Dunno.

> We just got the last Final Fantasy, and while it's absolutely

> beautiful, it's extremely aggravating to not have control over our
> character. Especially since the character is invariably a total
> asshole. I like *real* role-playing games where if your character/s
> decide to kill something it's because you chose for them to do so, not
> because the game mechanics can't handle anything other than a static
> plot. Have y'all tried the Might and Magic series of games? They're
> *very* nice first person view/multiple character party type games.
> Nice enough graphics too. Maybe a bit too easy if you have patience,
> but definately fun. I also really like Heroes of Might and Magic...
> set in the same world but a strategy game rather than a role playing
> game. Build armies, direct them in turn-based combat, develop your
> defenses, that sort of thing. All of them are very economical, IMO.
> Might and Magic VII and VIII both gave us about 20-40 hours of solid
> play time, and we didn't even do all of the optional quests. Heroes
> with the 'Armegeddon's Blade' expansion pack has given us over 40
> already and we're not finished with it yet.

The Might and Magic RPGs are generally very good, with a nice retro
feel to the gameplay to go with the _heaping_mounds_ of content. But,
after playing Diablo 2 and (mostly) Everquest, single-player RPGs are
just so hard to re-adapt to. For all its flaws, Everquest is an
amazing experience. Also, I have trouble getting into party-based
games like M&M; I get to feeling like my party is a colony organisms,
four bodies and skill sets with one personality/mind. Kinda creepy;
I much prefer either single-character RPGs or more dynamic party
systems, like Planescape: Torment (Seth, by the way, if you liked
Baldur's Gate, make sure to give Torment a spin, it rocked).
Heros of Might and Magic are great games, well designed (and with
_beautiful_ art), but, frankly, they take too much time to play. Many
other games offer a full game experience in half the time or less that
it takes to play a full game of HoMM3. On the other hand, one thing
you cannot fault HoMM3 for is lack of content; you're quite right, you
can play that for 100 or more hours and still have more maps to explore.

NBarnes

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On 28 Jul 2000, Velvet Wood wrote:

> We just got the last Final Fantasy, and while it's absolutely beautiful,
> it's extremely aggravating to not have control over our character. Especially
> since the character is invariably a total asshole. I like *real* role-playing
> games where if your character/s decide to kill something it's because you
> chose for them to do so, not because the game mechanics can't handle anything
> other than a static plot. Have y'all tried the Might and Magic series of
> games? They're *very* nice first person view/multiple character party
> type games.

never could get into those, for some reason. TOo..cartoonish, almost. I
think it's just a stylistic thing. I'm a BIG fan of the elder scroll
series, and as mentioned, torment is lovely (although I can't get into
it).

> Nice enough graphics too. Maybe a bit too easy if you have
> patience, but definately fun. I also really like Heroes of Might and Magic...
> set in the same world but a strategy game rather than a role playing game.
> Build armies, direct them in turn-based combat, develop your defenses,
> that sort of thing. All of them are very economical, IMO. Might and Magic
> VII and VIII both gave us about 20-40 hours of solid play time, and we didn't
> even do all of the optional quests. Heroes with the 'Armegeddon's Blade'
> expansion pack has given us over 40 already and we're not finished with it
> yet.

Heroes of M/M3 was the bane of my hall this year :) It's not that
good...really...I'll stop playing...soon...

I'm a big fan of Larping, as well. (screw game mechanics! who needs em!)

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Fox wrote:

> well it's a surface (not a deep tissue) piercing and in an area that doesn't
> have much slack skin (like my neck unfortunately) it's likely to reject. You
> will need a proper surface bar (if your piercer comes out with a steel ring
> or straight BB and says, "oh this should be ok" run like hell :)
> As it's a surface piercing the risk of rejection is high, especially if you
> wear high necked tops and/or a collar lots cos anything that rubs or
> irritates the area just encourages the body to reject it.

I don't have much slack skin, either, although it does get higher as I go
towards the top of my neck (near the hairline.) One of hte problems if
that I have LONG hair... I am planning on putting it up and dealing with
greasy hair for a while after the piercing, but I don't know how long I
should do this to help avoid iritation. It'll heal a good deal in a week
or so, but not completely.

> There's not much risk of nerve damage as long as your piercer checks very
> carefully when they clamp you. If when they clamp your skin you feel
> numbness or tingling or anything like that then there's prolly a nerve
> involved in the clamping. Get them to shift the clamps til it doesn't
> involve anything nervy.

hmmm. probably not a good idea to gin on an endorphine rush, then. damn. I
hate bad pain

<
> It may well be that you are not suited for this piercing (nape).
> If you have a look at BME (www.bme.freeq.com) there are 78 pics (as well as
> text experiences) of neck piercings, either front or back of the neck and
> that can help you decide if it's right for you.

:nods: I will. I think I'm too skinny, unfortuantely. Is there any way to
stretch the skin al ittle, or something?

> I've been looking into having this piercing done too but it's looking like I
> might not have enough loose skin to support it. I might go through with it
> regardless and see what happens and just be prepared for it to reject at
> some point.

aside from the pain, what are the risks in something rejecting?

Thankee much!

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Janet D. Miles wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:35:16 -0500, in message
> <Pine.GSO.4.10.10007...@ux13.cso.uiuc.edu>, Seth J. Fogarty
> wrote:
>
> > 7) Anyone know if it's possible to get the back of your neck pierced? Keep
> > in mind I'm ona those skinny folk with a pretty bony neck.
>
> Something else I just thought of, don't know why I didn't remember it earlier,
> is the newsgroup <rec.arts.bodyart>. Ask there; they know these things.

oooo! Smart girl! thank you!

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, NBarnes wrote:

> Revived is still pretty amazing, though, when you get to Hell
> difficulty and the monsters are all amazingly buff. Even with the
> time limit and increased mana cost, Revived still kick ass. Also,
> Iron Maiden with Revived is pretty killer. Add some Corpse Explosion
> and, well, that's how you build a ladder necro.

:nods: well, keep in mind, even with a level 20 revive, with level 20
skeletal mastery, you're going to at MOST have a critter 6 times as strong
as the original... so on average, it can take out six of it's compatriots.
Nice, but for 40 skill points and 45 mana? To me, the really nasty combos
are Iron Maiden, Attract, and Confuse. Big bad group of monsters. Confuse
them. Iron Maiden. Amp damage. Attract the archers.

> Paladins are just like barbarians, only no Whirlwind. I've seen my
> friend, who has a 42 barb and imagining him sans Whirlwind, he'd be
> getting thrashed, taking too much damage and dealing too little,
> even with 20 points in Sacrifice.

Auras! Auras! Paladins will NEVER do combat as well as a barb, but they
dont' need to. Thorns, holy freeze, conviction. And, for that matter, holy
shield, conversion.... they can be damn nasty, ESPECIALLY in groups. Two
or there paladins together?

> Sorceresses, which are my favored class (you get to run around in
> spiffy, scanty green silk outfits, which I could never pull off IRL.
> Plus, you get to call down orbital artillery strikes, which keeps
> people from laughing at how you dress), are great in groups, because
> they can chill all the monsters for orderly killing and Static Field
> is _amazing_), especially against the boss monsters that necromancers
> have so much trouble with. But sorceresses have a lot of trouble
> taking out lots of monsters over time efficiently. Where a barbarian
> can use a little bit of mana steal and get all his mana back hitting
> things, a sorceress just can't make good her mana costs without standing
> around for a few seconds after each fight, and that just kill her
> efficiency.

:nods: Sorceress are another good-in-groups class, especially with the
difficulty in mana potions. If you specilize heavily and put a lot of
points into warmth and masteries, it's supposed to get easier, but then
you're vulnerable to one resistance.

> Amazons are just in trouble. Sub-par offensive skills and _really_
> sub-par defensive skills add up to weakness in all parts of the game at
> 35th level+.

Well...With a good Valkyrie and some strong arrows, they can be what the
sorceress isn't. A freezing/burning bolt-exploding fighter who can afford
to throw everything at everything. But, again... much beter in groups.

> > Well, I'm not that good :) and keep starting over. But I never likd
> > the Final Fantasies. Too much of a linear plot, too little in-combat
> > strategy for me. I'm mouch more of a fan of
> > Daggerfall/Baldur's Gate/etc type games. Diablo is a vice for me... I
> > can admit it's damn-near impossible to acctually roleplay, and I can
> > admit that the plot is linear and directed and stuff, but I just enjoy
> > it. Dunno.
>
> Oh, I agree with you on Final Fantasy. They look great, but they're
> totally linear and hardly role-playing games at all. And the gameplay
> is usually pretty simplistic. Diablo I/II's strength has always been
> the gameplay; simple interface, but lots of different skills and
> tactics to use, making for a wonderfully flexible and interesting
> moment-to-moment play experience.

:nods: excactly. It's just FUN. not deep, not a solid RPing experience,
not something to make me proud to beat. Just fun while I'm playing it.

> > > Non-summoning necros, though... dang. Yes, you are a masochist.
>
> > Curses. I love curses. And, well, summoning in an mplayer game... I
> > could be a barbarian adn be more effective than a golem, and have more
> > fun. It's all about the curses.
>
> Curses are good, but they screwed up the design. All the best curses
> are at the top of the tree; you really just don't need much more than
> Amplify Damage and Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden especially, it rules.

Iron maiden is very, very nice. But I disagree... attract and confuse are
GORGEOUS, with relatively low mana costs, especially at high levels (don't
go up). Lower resist is something that no one takes, but I will, and in
hell levels with eight people in a game, it will be NICE. Dim vision and
terror are actually more useful than you'd expect, when you have no
minions... taking things on one at a time helps, a lot, before you get
attract and confuse. I'll confess to having a point in Clay Golem, just to
have a focus for Iron Maiden. It's hwo I kill the boses. Iron Maiden, Clay
Golem, lots of potions.

> > well... I dunno. Some of the recent ones are damn-near permanent, at
> > least for 3-5 years. I'm going to wait for it o get better, and
> > cheaper, but I think there is one kind which is close to being
> > verified perm.
>
> *crosses fingers*

you and me both, you and me both.
Hell, I'll take a four-year treatment, if it's cheap enough.

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00

Nbarnes, I believe, wrote

> The Might and Magic RPGs are generally very good, with a nice retro
> feel to the gameplay to go with the _heaping_mounds_ of content. But,
> after playing Diablo 2 and (mostly) Everquest, single-player RPGs are
> just so hard to re-adapt to. For all its flaws, Everquest is an
> amazing experience.

I've never tried Everquest.... gave Asheron's Call a whirl and gave up
real quick. One problem with online mplayer games, for me, is that it's
all so coperative. I like alittle enmity, a little challenge. I'll admit
to playing Gemstone III off and on, and I've managed to find some good
roleplaying with Dhe'nari and COL enmities, but it's much the same
problem.

> Also, I have trouble getting into party-based
> games like M&M; I get to feeling like my party is a colony organisms,
> four bodies and skill sets with one personality/mind. Kinda creepy;
> I much prefer either single-character RPGs or more dynamic party
> systems, like Planescape: Torment (Seth, by the way, if you liked
> Baldur's Gate, make sure to give Torment a spin, it rocked).

I've tried... it was very good, and I couldn't get into it. It was ilke an
an excellent book you just can't get through the first chapter of. But
much agreement about the M&M group wierdness.

> Heros of Might and Magic are great games, well designed (and with
> _beautiful_ art), but, frankly, they take too much time to play. Many
> other games offer a full game experience in half the time or less that
> it takes to play a full game of HoMM3. On the other hand, one thing
> you cannot fault HoMM3 for is lack of content; you're quite right, you
> can play that for 100 or more hours and still have more maps to explore.

:nods: amen.

BLDRNRpdx

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
Regarding the use of "Boi":

(Lord, I lost all sense of who wrote what. Sorry about that)

My first exposure to the word was in reference to female-bodied persons who
identify as having strong male elements in their personality (if not also their
physical being). Some of them consider themselves in various stages of
transition, some of them male-identify without any intention of transitioning
physically or otherwise, and some of them take on the persona of "Boy" (used in
the Leather Boy sense rather than an Ageplay Boy) with no male-identification
beyond the role. Mostly it's been female-bodied, male-IDed persons who aren't
transitioning or are only 'partially' transitioning (some physical transition,
some or all social presentation transition).

Having met Bois of each category, I can say it's a lot like calling a
female-bodied person "Sir". With some people, it's just the right thing to
say.

I'd never heard "Boi" used as a synonym for a "Nancy", I have to admit. Nor
have I heard it specifically in reference to androgynous folk - it's pretty
much been male-identified, female-bodied persons that I've met who use the
term.

Bladerunner
who misses Katherine's boy :)

ssbb dip corps: portland, or (speaking of which, anyone heard from Hans and
Cora recently?)

KATS: Kidz & Adultz Together Sharing, an Ageplay group -
www.geocities.com/katspdx
Psst, hey kid - wanna buy a rubber? www.rubbermania.com

head...@my-deja.com

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
SNIP

> Well, that's interesting. My first introduction to the word spelled
that way
> was in reference to a female bodied, but masculine identified
submissive, a
> woman who was a 'boy', in the sense of a Daddy/boy relationship, but
wanted to
> stress that she was not transitioning to male or male from birth.
> Laura

SNIP

This comes close to my definition of the word and i wear the label boi.

I wear it in a bdsm role and it relates to my androgeny and my
attitude rather then any thing to do with physical appendages or lack
of.
It doesnt necessarily relate strictly to the Daddy/boi thing either as
that would negate the Butch/Femme role that is prevalent in the lesbian
community, and to be honest more where i fit in, as my Domme is a
Mistress rather then a Daddy/Knyght/Syr/Lord ect..
boi for me is about gender fluidity and not being too caught up in the
sex our body assigns us. "I'm gonna fuck You hard boi?" just does it
for me when stated by a Strap On wearing Mistress..yet i dont feel any
less of a woman, or want to become any more manly because i wear this
label.
so i dont know if that makes it any clearer... for anyone

headcase

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fox

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Fox wrote:
*snip*

> should do this to help avoid iritation. It'll heal a good deal in a week
> or so, but not completely.

I'm not sure how long it'll take to heal, but a week is a very short period
of time. Many/most genital piercings feel healed in a week, most cartilage
ones up to a year, so somewhere between there. I suggest having a look at
bme in the text section as many of the experiences have some discussion of
healing and stuff. There's a FAQ there too that will have some information
about healing times.
I'd suggest that your hair being dirty might be more of a risk that cleaning
it. Try washing your hair leaning forward and rinse/clean your piercing last
of all. The main thing is to keep strong scented soaps out of the "wound"
and generally leave it alone. I've got a recent piercing on my ear cartilage
that keeps getting hair caught in it and I've not had any problems yet,
although my bf had a hair cut and got an infection from all the times the
hairdresser knocked it with the scissors and got hair into it, so YMMV. My
piercer won't put the piercing up as high as I'd like (very close to the
hairline) because of the difficulty of keeping it free of matter.

*snip*

> hmmm. probably not a good idea to gin on an endorphine rush, then. damn. I

my piercer's suggestion was to get clamped up for it, do some very careful
marking and then take the clamps off and emla it. It won't numb all the way
thru the skin to be pierced but it'll numb the surface for long enough that
you can relax :) Unless you're needle-phobic (which I am rather) you'll
prolly find that piercing won't actually hurt that much

> :nods: I will. I think I'm too skinny, unfortuantely. Is there any way to
> stretch the skin al ittle, or something?

not really without inserting something under the skin first :) you do really
need to talk to a piercer who can tell you if you are too skinny for this or
not :) where are you? (country or state)

> aside from the pain, what are the risks in something rejecting?

well often when something is rejecting it's not healing and this means it's
like a fresh piercing all the time. It can get infected easily. Also if it
rejects enough that there's lots of bar showing through the skin then the
ends could get hooked easily and the bar could get ripped out (ouch) but
that risk exists if you have the wrong size surface bar too, so it's very
important that you consult a good piercer.
Rejection isn't usually excruciating pain, more of a sore feeling but it's
not nice at all. If you leave a rejecting piercing until it falls out it
will often scar very easily meaning that you'd have a straight scar
depending on how well you scar.

I can't stress the importance of talking to a reputable piercer about this
piercing. the best resource on the web is bme.freeq.com but you can find
more info too just by typing it into a search engine :)
If you want to talk about this more then feel free to email me @
fy...@hotmail.com

good luck with it :)

rachel

NBarnes

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
"Seth J. Fogarty" wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, NBarnes wrote:

> > Revived is still pretty amazing, though, when you get to Hell
> > difficulty and the monsters are all amazingly buff. Even with the
> > time limit and increased mana cost, Revived still kick ass. Also,
> > Iron Maiden with Revived is pretty killer. Add some Corpse Explosion
> > and, well, that's how you build a ladder necro.

> :nods: well, keep in mind, even with a level 20 revive, with level 20
> skeletal mastery, you're going to at MOST have a critter 6 times as
> strong as the original... so on average, it can take out six of it's
> compatriots. Nice, but for 40 skill points and 45 mana? To me, the
> really nasty combos are Iron Maiden, Attract, and Confuse. Big bad
> group of monsters. Confuse them. Iron Maiden. Amp damage. Attract the
> archers.

Well, you get more than a x6 Revived for your 40 skill points; you
get _20_ x6 Revived. A continuing chain of them can keep you in
cannon fodder indefinitely, even with the time limit, and they kick
the ass of just about anything else out there.
That heavy curses strategy is fine, but, IMHO, inefficient. You end
up spending a lot of time waiting for them to kill each other when
you could just send in the Marines^H^H^H^HReviveds, let them kill one,
then blow up the world with Corpse Explosion.
Mind you, the way Diablo 2 is designed, you can work almost any
strategy, if you're not concerned with being totally maximizing your
XP/time ratio, so most of my commentary and thought goes towards that.
If you're not a dual-classed geek/powergamer, most of my thoughts on
the subject aren't terribly useful, as they all revolve around
maximizing XP/time.

> > Paladins are just like barbarians, only no Whirlwind. I've seen my
> > friend, who has a 42 barb and imagining him sans Whirlwind, he'd be
> > getting thrashed, taking too much damage and dealing too little,
> > even with 20 points in Sacrifice.

> Auras! Auras! Paladins will NEVER do combat as well as a barb, but
> they dont' need to. Thorns, holy freeze, conviction. And, for that
> matter, holy shield, conversion.... they can be damn nasty, ESPECIALLY
> in groups. Two or there paladins together?

The problem with auras is that they don't stack. In the later levels,
35+, the barbarian's passive skills, like Iron Skin and Natural
Resistance, will be almost as good as the worthwhile auras _and_ will
stack, providing all the benefits all the time. As a paladin
(John_Paul, USWest, 33rd paladin, retired), I found that, while the
individual auras stacked, I would gladly have swapped them all for
the stacking passive skills of a barbarian (and did. Iron_Tiger,
USWest, 42nd barbarian). Up to 30th or so, paladins are _very_
competitive with barbarians, but past that, between Whirlwind (very
broken) and higher levels in the passives, barbarians pull ahead
increasingly, until you get to 45th and beyond, when there's just no
comparison.
Groups.... groups are fun. But, against, inefficient.

> > Sorceresses, which are my favored class (you get to run around in
> > spiffy, scanty green silk outfits, which I could never pull off IRL.
> > Plus, you get to call down orbital artillery strikes, which keeps
> > people from laughing at how you dress), are great in groups, because
> > they can chill all the monsters for orderly killing and Static Field
> > is _amazing_), especially against the boss monsters that necromancers
> > have so much trouble with. But sorceresses have a lot of trouble
> > taking out lots of monsters over time efficiently. Where a barbarian
> > can use a little bit of mana steal and get all his mana back hitting
> > things, a sorceress just can't make good her mana costs without
> > standing around for a few seconds after each fight, and that just
> > kill her efficiency.

> :nods: Sorceress are another good-in-groups class, especially with the
> difficulty in mana potions. If you specilize heavily and put a lot of
> points into warmth and masteries, it's supposed to get easier, but then
> you're vulnerable to one resistance.

Perzactly.

> > Amazons are just in trouble. Sub-par offensive skills and
> > _really_ sub-par defensive skills add up to weakness in all parts
> > of the game at 35th level+.

> Well...With a good Valkyrie and some strong arrows, they can be
> what the sorceress isn't. A freezing/burning bolt-exploding fighter
> who can afford to throw everything at everything. But, again... much
> beter in groups.

Amazons are the one class I don't have a lot of experience with at
high level, so I'm less certain here. It's possible, but the Amazon
lacks the Sorceress' most important skill, Static Field, so she has
no real good way to deal with high HP mobs. Nukes like Immolating
Arrow or Freezing Arrow aren't efficient for such applications. For a
sorceress, at high difficulty levels, the only spells that can
really deal out damage enough to make for efficient XP gathering are
Fire Wall or Meteor, with a lot of Fire Mastery, or Frozen Orb, with
a lot of Cold Mastery. Since those three are _far_ more efficient,
between the base and the Mastery, than either Immolating or Freezing
Arrow, I'm skeptical about how useful they'd really be at the highest
levels. I tested Valkyrie with a open character I hacked for the skills
and wasn't impressed. She's not as quick on her feet as golems with
lots of Golem Mastery can be, and a minion's aggressiveness is directly
linked to their foot speed; she's not nearly aggressive enough to serve
as well as I think I'd like. Also, even in Normal Act IV, she would
occasionally be surrounded and wiped out, even with 20 skill points in
her. I strongly suspect, based on that, that she'd be in deep, deep
trouble in Hell Act IV with only a handful of mobs.

NBarnes

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
On 30 Jul 2000, BLDRNRpdx wrote:

> Regarding the use of "Boi":
>
> (Lord, I lost all sense of who wrote what. Sorry about that)
>
> My first exposure to the word was in reference to female-bodied persons who
> identify as having strong male elements in their personality (if not also their
> physical being). Some of them consider themselves in various stages of
> transition, some of them male-identify without any intention of transitioning
> physically or otherwise, and some of them take on the persona of "Boy" (used in
> the Leather Boy sense rather than an Ageplay Boy) with no male-identification
> beyond the role. Mostly it's been female-bodied, male-IDed persons who aren't
> transitioning or are only 'partially' transitioning (some physical transition,
> some or all social presentation transition).
>

> Having met Bois of each category, I can say it's a lot like calling a
> female-bodied person "Sir". With some people, it's just the right thing to
> say.
>
> I'd never heard "Boi" used as a synonym for a "Nancy", I have to admit. Nor
> have I heard it specifically in reference to androgynous folk - it's pretty
> much been male-identified, female-bodied persons that I've met who use the
> term.

Hm! It's pretty common in the goth/glam culture. Maybe it's a generation
thing. Teh above mentioned boi_fancy egroups list, jrock boi's, etc. Heh.

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 head...@my-deja.com wrote:

about Boi

> I wear it in a bdsm role and it relates to my androgeny and my
> attitude rather then any thing to do with physical appendages or lack
> of.
> It doesnt necessarily relate strictly to the Daddy/boi thing either as
> that would negate the Butch/Femme role that is prevalent in the lesbian
> community, and to be honest more where i fit in, as my Domme is a
> Mistress rather then a Daddy/Knyght/Syr/Lord ect..
> boi for me is about gender fluidity and not being too caught up in the
> sex our body assigns us. "I'm gonna fuck You hard boi?" just does it
> for me when stated by a Strap On wearing Mistress..yet i dont feel any
> less of a woman, or want to become any more manly because i wear this
> label.
> so i dont know if that makes it any clearer... for anyone

Much agreement about gender fluidity and androgyny, although I use as a
male-bodied portraying femmy... but I understand exactly what you mean
about not feelnig any less of a man (which is a phrase I disagree with
anyway). It's simply, for me, an adoption of the 'pritty' image.

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Fox wrote:

more happy advaice

> I'm not sure how long it'll take to heal, but a week is a very short period
> of time. Many/most genital piercings feel healed in a week, most cartilage
> ones up to a year, so somewhere between there. I suggest having a look at
> bme in the text section as many of the experiences have some discussion of
> healing and stuff. There's a FAQ there too that will have some information
> about healing times.

I'm there...

> I'd suggest that your hair being dirty might be more of a risk that cleaning
> it. Try washing your hair leaning forward and rinse/clean your piercing last
> of all.

hm... didn't think of that. If it was longer than a week, I'd agree, but
my hair doesn't get thatat dirty, bound up, in a week. It's just barely
greasy. But maybe I'll try washing my hair in a sink or something, since
it might be a whole.

> The main thing is to keep strong scented soaps out of the "wound"
> and generally leave it alone. I've got a recent piercing on my ear cartilage
> that keeps getting hair caught in it and I've not had any problems yet,
> although my bf had a hair cut and got an infection from all the times the
> hairdresser knocked it with the scissors and got hair into it, so YMMV.

I'm not so worried about the fact that it'll get infected as reject...
from what I understand, pressure along the wound is one of the quickest
ways to get a surface piercing to start rejecting... which is why they use
the ultra-felixible plastic stuff.

> *snip*
> > hmmm. probably not a good idea to gin on an endorphine rush, then. damn. I
>
> my piercer's suggestion was to get clamped up for it, do some very careful
> marking and then take the clamps off and emla it. It won't numb all the way
> thru the skin to be pierced but it'll numb the surface for long enough that
> you can relax :) Unless you're needle-phobic (which I am rather) you'll
> prolly find that piercing won't actually hurt that much

that's what they said about my bellybutton, and it hurt like a bitch. I
can take it, it's just not fun. (I'm a wimp about bad pain)

> > :nods: I will. I think I'm too skinny, unfortuantely. Is there any way to
> > stretch the skin al ittle, or something?
>
> not really without inserting something under the skin first :) you do really
> need to talk to a piercer who can tell you if you are too skinny for this or
> not :) where are you? (country or state)

I will, I will :) I'm in Illinois, between chicago and champaign.

> > aside from the pain, what are the risks in something rejecting?
>
> well often when something is rejecting it's not healing and this means it's
> like a fresh piercing all the time. It can get infected easily. Also if it
> rejects enough that there's lots of bar showing through the skin then the
> ends could get hooked easily and the bar could get ripped out (ouch) but
> that risk exists if you have the wrong size surface bar too, so it's very
> important that you consult a good piercer.
> Rejection isn't usually excruciating pain, more of a sore feeling but it's
> not nice at all. If you leave a rejecting piercing until it falls out it
> will often scar very easily meaning that you'd have a straight scar
> depending on how well you scar.

doesn't sound like it's a huge danger, if I notice it's rejecting and pull
it out. I'd rather not get huge scarring in the area. Is there a
difference in the guage, for chances of rejecting? Lower gauges
(supposedly) have less pressure against the edges of the wound, so maybe
they would reject less easily?

> I can't stress the importance of talking to a reputable piercer about this
> piercing. the best resource on the web is bme.freeq.com but you can find
> more info too just by typing it into a search engine :)

Well, I'm going to one in chicago who's supposed to be good, just to talka
bout it. Have you heard of Mark of Caine in champaign? I've gotten a lot
of mixed reviews about it.

> If you want to talk about this more then feel free to email me @
> fy...@hotmail.com

too late! already posted to group

> good luck with it :)
>
> rachel

Seth Fogarty bipsum

Seth J. Fogarty

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, NBarnes wrote:

> Well, you get more than a x6 Revived for your 40 skill points; you
> get _20_ x6 Revived. A continuing chain of them can keep you in
> cannon fodder indefinitely, even with the time limit, and they kick
> the ass of just about anything else out there.

But at 45 mana a pop? And spendnig 40! skill poitns on it!

> That heavy curses strategy is fine, but, IMHO, inefficient. You end
> up spending a lot of time waiting for them to kill each other when
> you could just send in the Marines^H^H^H^HReviveds, let them kill one,
> then blow up the world with Corpse Explosion.

WEll, I do have a heavy C.E to go along with the curses. And it's more
designed for multiplayer than dong it alone.

> Mind you, the way Diablo 2 is designed, you can work almost any
> strategy, if you're not concerned with being totally maximizing your
> XP/time ratio, so most of my commentary and thought goes towards that.
> If you're not a dual-classed geek/powergamer, most of my thoughts on
> the subject aren't terribly useful, as they all revolve around
> maximizing XP/time.

Singleplayer, cureses HURT until you get attract. Then attract, iron
maiden, and corpse explosion takes out a LOT very quickly. C.E. is just
too good to pass up, and with seven levels in it, it hits almost anything
on the screen

> > Auras! Auras! Paladins will NEVER do combat as well as a barb, but
> > they dont' need to. Thorns, holy freeze, conviction. And, for that
> > matter, holy shield, conversion.... they can be damn nasty, ESPECIALLY
> > in groups. Two or there paladins together?
>
> The problem with auras is that they don't stack. In the later levels,
> 35+, the barbarian's passive skills, like Iron Skin and Natural
> Resistance, will be almost as good as the worthwhile auras _and_ will
> stack, providing all the benefits all the time. As a paladin
> (John_Paul, USWest, 33rd paladin, retired), I found that, while the
> individual auras stacked, I would gladly have swapped them all for
> the stacking passive skills of a barbarian (and did. Iron_Tiger,
> USWest, 42nd barbarian). Up to 30th or so, paladins are _very_
> competitive with barbarians, but past that, between Whirlwind (very
> broken) and higher levels in the passives, barbarians pull ahead
> increasingly, until you get to 45th and beyond, when there's just no
> comparison.

:nods: I can see that...Whirlwind is very very much too powerful. But I've
seen some nasty 35th level paladins that manage to do very well against
large groups, although I'm not sure on the combination of auras.

> Groups.... groups are fun. But, against, inefficient.

yeah, but th game is boring without groups. I beat the game on a
barbarian, and now going through it again in single-player
is...well..pointless.

> > Well...With a good Valkyrie and some strong arrows, they can be
> > what the sorceress isn't. A freezing/burning bolt-exploding fighter
> > who can afford to throw everything at everything. But, again... much
> > beter in groups.
>
> Amazons are the one class I don't have a lot of experience with at
> high level, so I'm less certain here. It's possible, but the Amazon
> lacks the Sorceress' most important skill, Static Field, so she has
> no real good way to deal with high HP mobs. Nukes like Immolating
> Arrow or Freezing Arrow aren't efficient for such applications. For a
> sorceress, at high difficulty levels, the only spells that can
> really deal out damage enough to make for efficient XP gathering are
> Fire Wall or Meteor, with a lot of Fire Mastery, or Frozen Orb, with
> a lot of Cold Mastery. Since those three are _far_ more efficient,
> between the base and the Mastery, than either Immolating or Freezing
> Arrow, I'm skeptical about how useful they'd really be at the highest
> levels. I tested Valkyrie with a open character I hacked for the skills
> and wasn't impressed. She's not as quick on her feet as golems with
> lots of Golem Mastery can be, and a minion's aggressiveness is directly
> linked to their foot speed; she's not nearly aggressive enough to serve
> as well as I think I'd like. Also, even in Normal Act IV, she would
> occasionally be surrounded and wiped out, even with 20 skill points in
> her. I strongly suspect, based on that, that she'd be in deep, deep
> trouble in Hell Act IV with only a handful of mobs.

Hm... Possible. The combo i've seen... but nto played.. was freezing arrow
and valkyrie, where it just sat there and smashed things to bit. But that
was in normal difficulty.

head...@my-deja.com

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
but I understand exactly what you mean
> about not feelnig any less of a man (which is a phrase I disagree with
> anyway). It's simply, for me, an adoption of the 'pritty' image.
>
> Seth Fogarty bipsum
>
> Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin
>
>Snipped

hey i aggree with You on my phrasing there, it was just a hard
explanation to put into words

hc
trust me ..its a self imposed exhile...

NBarnes

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
"Seth J. Fogarty" wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, NBarnes wrote:
>
> > Well, you get more than a x6 Revived for your 40 skill points; you
> > get _20_ x6 Revived. A continuing chain of them can keep you in
> > cannon fodder indefinitely, even with the time limit, and they kick
> > the ass of just about anything else out there.

> But at 45 mana a pop? And spendnig 40! skill poitns on it!

The reason that you can get away with this is that Corpse Explosion
doesn't require 20 points; for mana efficiency reasons, you probably
don't want more than 8 or 9 points in it. You only need one point
in Amplify Damage, which will be increased to a sufficient level by
+skill level items. Iron Maiden benefits from lots of points, but
that's just one other skill. The necromancer has the points to burn,
in return for such a powerful ability. It's a _lot_ better return
than you end up getting for 20 in Golem Mastery and 20 in Fire Golem.

> > That heavy curses strategy is fine, but, IMHO, inefficient. You end
> > up spending a lot of time waiting for them to kill each other when
> > you could just send in the Marines^H^H^H^HReviveds, let them kill one,
> > then blow up the world with Corpse Explosion.

> WEll, I do have a heavy C.E to go along with the curses. And it's more

> designed for multiplayer than dong it alone.

My sorc is the same way; I don't have as much warmth as many solo
sorceresses. I get away with it because I have a barbarian doing
the killing, I just need to chill them out and cast Static Field a
few times, maybe.

> > The problem with auras is that they don't stack. In the later levels,
> > 35+, the barbarian's passive skills, like Iron Skin and Natural
> > Resistance, will be almost as good as the worthwhile auras _and_ will
> > stack, providing all the benefits all the time. As a paladin
> > (John_Paul, USWest, 33rd paladin, retired), I found that, while the
> > individual auras stacked, I would gladly have swapped them all for
> > the stacking passive skills of a barbarian (and did. Iron_Tiger,
> > USWest, 42nd barbarian). Up to 30th or so, paladins are _very_
> > competitive with barbarians, but past that, between Whirlwind (very
> > broken) and higher levels in the passives, barbarians pull ahead
> > increasingly, until you get to 45th and beyond, when there's just no
> > comparison.

> :nods: I can see that...Whirlwind is very very much too powerful. But

> I've seen some nasty 35th level paladins that manage to do very well
> against large groups, although I'm not sure on the combination of
> auras.

I'd like to see it; I'm pretty sure that at 35+, a paladin _cannot_
compete against an equivalently equipped barbarian with Whirlwind.
Zeal is _not_ the answer.

> > Groups.... groups are fun. But, against, inefficient.

> yeah, but th game is boring without groups. I beat the game on a

> barbarian, and now going through it again in single-player
> is...well..pointless.

Yeah. Viva Everquest!

> > Amazons are the one class I don't have a lot of experience with at
> > high level, so I'm less certain here. It's possible, but the Amazon
> > lacks the Sorceress' most important skill, Static Field, so she has
> > no real good way to deal with high HP mobs. Nukes like Immolating
> > Arrow or Freezing Arrow aren't efficient for such applications.
> > For a sorceress, at high difficulty levels, the only spells that
> > can really deal out damage enough to make for efficient XP
> > gathering are Fire Wall or Meteor, with a lot of Fire Mastery, or
> > Frozen Orb, with a lot of Cold Mastery. Since those three are
> > _far_ more efficient, between the base and the Mastery, than either
> > Immolating or Freezing Arrow, I'm skeptical about how useful they'd
> > really be at the highest levels. I tested Valkyrie with a open
> > character I hacked for the skills and wasn't impressed. She's not
> > as quick on her feet as golems with lots of Golem Mastery can be,
> > and a minion's aggressiveness is directly linked to their foot
> > speed; she's not nearly aggressive enough to serve as well as I
> > think I'd like. Also, even in Normal Act IV, she would occasionally
> > be surrounded and wiped out, even with 20 skill points in her. I
> > strongly suspect, based on that, that she'd be in deep, deep
> > trouble in Hell Act IV with only a handful of mobs.

> Hm... Possible. The combo i've seen... but nto played.. was freezing

> arrow and valkyrie, where it just sat there and smashed things to
> bit. But that was in normal difficulty.

Freezing arrow/valk was actually my original plan, when I got the
game; it _looks_ really powerful, based on exactly that theory. But
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work in the higher difficulty levels.
You see, Freezing Arrow has a fixed duration of freeze, about 4
seconds. At the higher difficulty levels, the mobs' cold resistance
is going to make that more like 1 second, and the amazon doesn't
have Cold Mastery like the sorc does to fight back. Given the Valk's
relative fragility, that's just not gonna cut it. That same cold
resistance will make the damage Freezing Arrow does not all that
on the damage front, either.
What I've read from high level amazons stresses the use of Decoy
Valkyrie in combination to stave off the ravening hordes and Strafe
to deal damage. Strafe and Critical Strike do look about like they
could deal impressive damage in conjunction, so I'm willing to say
that an Amazon could do ok at high levels with that approach. However,
they simply have no skill that is broken like Whirlwind or Corpse
Explosion, so they still rank behind barbs and necros.

NBarnes

Tal

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 14:14:34 -0500, "Seth J. Fogarty"
<sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>On 30 Jul 2000, BLDRNRpdx wrote:
>
>> Regarding the use of "Boi":

<snip>

>> I'd never heard "Boi" used as a synonym for a "Nancy", I have to admit. Nor
>> have I heard it specifically in reference to androgynous folk - it's pretty
>> much been male-identified, female-bodied persons that I've met who use the
>> term.
>
>Hm! It's pretty common in the goth/glam culture. Maybe it's a generation
>thing. Teh above mentioned boi_fancy egroups list, jrock boi's, etc. Heh.

Just what I was going to say. Over in the goth group we just tend to
use it as a term of affection with no real implications.

Tal
Gothboi version

Velvet Wood

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
NBarnes <nba...@earthlink.net> writes:

> The Might and Magic RPGs are generally very good, with a nice retro
> feel to the gameplay to go with the _heaping_mounds_ of content. But,
> after playing Diablo 2 and (mostly) Everquest, single-player RPGs are
> just so hard to re-adapt to. For all its flaws, Everquest is an

> amazing experience. Also, I have trouble getting into party-based

> games like M&M; I get to feeling like my party is a colony organisms,
> four bodies and skill sets with one personality/mind. Kinda creepy;
> I much prefer either single-character RPGs or more dynamic party
> systems, like Planescape: Torment (Seth, by the way, if you liked
> Baldur's Gate, make sure to give Torment a spin, it rocked).

> Heros of Might and Magic are great games, well designed (and with
> _beautiful_ art), but, frankly, they take too much time to play. Many
> other games offer a full game experience in half the time or less that
> it takes to play a full game of HoMM3. On the other hand, one thing
> you cannot fault HoMM3 for is lack of content; you're quite right, you
> can play that for 100 or more hours and still have more maps to explore.
>

> NBarnes

It's funny...the things you *dislike* about M&M and HoMM3 are the very
reasons I like them so much! I tried Everquest and couldn't *stand* it.
I'm not a very social person, see, and having to socialize in order to
form a group and kill things just annoyed me. I'm not a big fan of
multiplayer rpgs unless they're purely competitive and the desired way of
winning is to do so on your own by killing every damned thing that moves.
Of course, I don't even like those very much, as I really prefer strategy
games. The main thing is, I've never been comfortable 'making friends' and
to incorporate this into my rare Fun Leisure Activity is not, IMO desirable.
As far as HoMM3 taking a long time to finish...the longer the better! Shay
and are probably quite strange, but we play our strategy games together.
It's how we relax on the weekend...have some coffee, play with the kiddies,
conquer the universe...and we have no need to finish a game in a day or
even a month. Once we've finished it, we very rarely want to play it again
(Civilization and Master of Orion being notable exceptions to this rule) and
so, while winning is always nice, it's also kind of sad since that means we
won't be playing anymore until the next one comes out. Though if we can
get our networked play working right, playing HoMM3 *AGAINST* each other
has a heck of a lot of potential. Quake, Doom, Heretic, etc., just don't
work for that (for us) because a) they're not strategy games so we get bored
with them fairly quickly, and b) he can't shoot worth a damn and I usually
just end up wondering around and around in a circle lost with nothing left
to kill.

Velvet

Velvet Wood

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
"Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> writes:

> I've tried... it was very good, and I couldn't get into it. It was ilke an
> an excellent book you just can't get through the first chapter of. But
> much agreement about the M&M group wierdness.

<G> Yeah, the first ones were strange like that. No point in having a party
because there were no differences in the characters at all. The latest
two are slightly different. The character portraits move and the voices
and comments of the characters lend them a definate personality. Unfortunately
you can't change these things after play begins...we once ended up with
a sorceress that we wanted to kill ourself within five minutes and was stuck
with her for the whole damned game. Granted, there's always the temptation
to go into the character screen and strip all the armor off of the nearly
naked pretty women...shame to cover all that up with chainmail.

Of course, I still prefer tabletop RPG's to anything on the computer, but
I just can't seem to get a gaming group together here in Dallas. Don't care
for live-action, because to me, the whole damned *point* of role-playing is
to play a character that is notably different to yourself. There would
be no point at all to me playing a vampire with *my* stats.

Velvet

Seth J. Fogarty

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
On 4 Aug 2000, Velvet Wood wrote:

> "Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> writes:
>
> > I've tried... it was very good, and I couldn't get into it. It was ilke an
> > an excellent book you just can't get through the first chapter of. But
> > much agreement about the M&M group wierdness.
>

> Granted, there's always the temptation
> to go into the character screen and strip all the armor off of the nearly
> naked pretty women...shame to cover all that up with chainmail.

hehe.... reminicent of Daggerfall.

> Of course, I still prefer tabletop RPG's to anything on the computer, but
> I just can't seem to get a gaming group together here in Dallas. Don't care
> for live-action, because to me, the whole damned *point* of role-playing is
> to play a character that is notably different to yourself. There would
> be no point at all to me playing a vampire with *my* stats.

well... that's one the down sides of LARP. There's al imited amount of
plausibl edifference between your appearance and your characters... but I
find it doesn't limit too much. I can play a manipulative buisinessman
wraith, adn I can play the fucked-up-out-of-his-mind catspaw of an
Old-Clan and have them look like me... I an dress and act differently
enough that even thought I LOOK the same, I'm enough like a different
person that it works. The really hard shoes for the buisinessman, the
mask, standing up really straight, wide-shouldered suit...
thump..thump...thump... I can actually be scary. For the catspaw...
hunches over, nervous, shy, staying ni the background.. I can actually get
into the body language of each character enough that it seems to work. And
there just seems to be more character-driven plot in larps, and more
subterfuge is possible. BUt I do like table-tops as well :)

Arav bipsum

Aim: Sorrath ICQ: 47462500

---46 and 2 are just ahead of me