Trump takes up Obama's grades and affirmative action

Sordo

Apr 26, 2011, 2:28:15 PM4/26/11
April 26, 2011

Trump takes up Obama's grades and affirmative action

Thomas Lifson
http://www.americanthinker.com

In an interview with AP, Donald Trump raises the issue of Barack
Obama's undergraduate grades and his admission to 2 Ivy League schools
-- Columbia University and Harvard Law. Trump avers that Obama wasn't
merely an OK student, he was "terrible," and wonders how that merited
admission to 2 highly competitive schools.

Trump states that he doesn't have access to Obama's well-hidden
transcripts, and doesn't specify the source of his knowledge that
Obama was a "terrible" student (presumably at Occidental College and
the elite Punahou School in Honolulu). However, given Obama's existing
biographies, it is no secret that he failed to apply himself to his
studies when he was younger.

Trump does not utter the words "affirmative action," but that is
clearly the implied answer to the questions he raises. Richard Baehr
comments:

Most Americans do not like affirmative action. if Trump has found
some transcripts, it would explain why Obama has hidden them, and
damage his halo for brilliance (though it may take more time to change
David Brooks' mind), and be pretty embarrassing and a distraction
for him, raising more questions of what he has hidden.

Studies of ten of the most elite schools admissions files revealed
that being black is worth an extra 330 SAT points (back when the
maximum was 1600).

The interesting aspect of all of this is that the sort of families who
place greatest emphasis on getting their children into elite colleges
also tend to be the urban elites whose support for Obama has been
strong. It is not clear to me that the revelation that Obama got a lot
of help getting into Columbia and Harvard would sour them on him. But
it would, as Rich writes, diminish the reputation for brilliance,
which is already suffering in the face of demonstrated lack of
understanding of basic economics, foreign affairs, and the effects of
taxes.

maxw...@my-deja.com

Apr 26, 2011, 2:31:03 PM4/26/11
On Apr 26, 2:28 pm, Sordo <so...@netzero.net> wrote:
> April 26, 2011
>
> Trump takes up Obama's grades and affirmative action
>
> Thomas Lifsonhttp://www.americanthinker.com

Now Trump seems so intellectual and learned compared to Obama.
Especially when he talks about Obama's birth certificate and the
US invading Libya for the oil.

Evelyn

Apr 26, 2011, 4:01:56 PM4/26/11

Didn't Trump get kicked out of NY Military Academy? I know he was
hated at the Wharton School in NJ because he was so arrogant. I know
one of his classmates, a woman who said he was universally disliked
there.

Evelyn

maxw...@my-deja.com

Apr 26, 2011, 4:21:14 PM4/26/11
On Apr 26, 4:01 pm, Evelyn <evelyn.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't know the answer to that question. From listening to him talk
I don't know what he has going for him other than his ability to
motivate
people. A hazard if it is for a bad decision.

Message has been deleted

Olly Mensch

Apr 26, 2011, 5:59:03 PM4/26/11
Rita - I do not think the writer who made references to Obama's "grades'
in school, made reference to his grades at either Harvard or Columbia,
but at whatever school Obama attended from which to enter College. That
was the whole point, raising the question (IF his pre-College grades
were mediocre) then how did he get into Harvard. I have no information
onthe subject, but it again raises the question of"mystery". After two
years of his Presidency, I think we ought to drop it- yet -soon there
will be another election, so, perhaps it is a valid consideration???
Olly

Evelyn

Apr 26, 2011, 6:31:22 PM4/26/11
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:36:09 -0700, Rita <Ri...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:01:56 -0400, Evelyn <evely...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>I don't know what Obama's grades were at Harvard Law Schoool but
>hd graduated there magna cum laude, so they could not have been too
>shabby.

Absolutely.

Trump is another matter. He hasn't got a good fiscal record having
been in or near bankruptcy a few times, not to mention married three
times. That won't play well in middle America.

Evelyn

mg

Apr 26, 2011, 7:21:49 PM4/26/11
On Apr 26, 12:28 pm, Sordo <so...@netzero.net> wrote:
> April 26, 2011
>
> Trump takes up Obama's grades and affirmative action
>
> Thomas Lifsonhttp://www.americanthinker.com

> In an interview with AP, Donald Trump raises the issue of Barack
> Obama's undergraduate grades and his admission to 2 Ivy League schools
> -- Columbia University and Harvard Law. Trump avers that Obama wasn't
> merely an OK student, he was "terrible," and wonders how that merited
> admission to 2 highly competitive schools.
>
> Trump states that he doesn't have access to Obama's well-hidden
> transcripts, and doesn't specify the source of his knowledge that
> Obama was a "terrible" student (presumably at Occidental College and
> the elite Punahou School in Honolulu). . . .

Trump doesn't know what his grades were, but even if he did harvard
does not have rigid grade requirements. However, whatever their
requirements are, Harvard obviously managed to find a well qualified
guy for entrance to their school since Obama graduated magna cum laude
and later worked as a law professor.

Here's a list of Harvard requirements that I found on the internet, by
the way:

".0/2.7 ADMISSIONS ע 2.1 Harvard's Admissions Committee says that it
recognizes that schools vary by size, academic program and grading
policies, so Harvard does not have rigid grade requirements. Harvard
does seek students who achieve at a high level, and most admitted
students rank in the top 10-15% of their graduating classes.
2.2 Harvard states that here is no formula for gaining admission to
Harvard. Academic accomplishment in high school is important, but the
Admissions Committee also considers many other criteria, such as
community involvement, leadership and distinction in extracurricular
activities, and work experience.
2.3 Harvard relies on teachers, counselors, headmasters and alumni/ae
to share information with them about applicants' strength of
character, their ability to overcome adversity and other personal
qualities - all of which play a part in the Admissions Committee's
decisions.
2.4 Harvard states that each admission case is different. Harvard
seeks to enroll well-rounded students as well as a well-rounded first-
year class. Thus, some students distinguish themselves for admission
due to their unusual academic promise through experience or
achievements in study or research. Other students present compelling
cases because they are more "well rounded" - they have contributed in
many different ways to their schools or communities. Still other
successful applicants are "well lopsided," with demonstrated
excellence in one particular endeavor - academic, extracurricular or
otherwise. Some students bring perspectives formed by unusual personal
circumstances or experiences. Like all colleges, Harvard seeks to
admit the most interesting, able and diverse class possible.
2.5 Harvard says that it has worked hard for many years to learn about
schools around the world. Harvard's careful study of different
schools, curricula and educational systems benefits, too, from
information Harvard receives directly each year from schools,
extensive personal communication with school personnel and the
interview reports Harvard receives from its alumni/ae, who meet
thousands of applicants to the College each year. Harvard states that
it can always learn more, so Harvard welcomes information students
think might be helpful to the Admissions Committee in understanding
their accomplishments in their school communities.
2.6 Harvard says that it considers non-required test scores and that
they value predicted A-level and IB results along with any information
that helps form a complete picture of an applicant's academic
interests and strengths. HOWEVER, RESULTS FROM THESE EXAMINATIONS
CANNOT SUBSTITUTE FOR HARVARD'S REQUIRED ADMISSIONS TESTING. ALL
APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT THE RESULTS OF THE SAT I or ACT AS WELL AS
THREE SAT II SUBJECT TESTS.
2.7 Letters of recommendation from teachers who know the applicant
well and who have taught him or her in academic subjects (preferably
in the final two years of secondary school) most often provide Harvard
the most valuable testimony. Teachers should tell Harvard about a
candidate's significant non-academic interests and personal qualities,
as well as academic potential.
2.8 Harvard says that most applications are read by two or more
members of the Admissions Committee, and are considered very carefully
in a series of committee meetings where a majority vote is required
for admission. The entire process requires several months.
3.0/3.1 FINANCIAL AID
3.0 Harvard says that more than two-thirds of Harvard undergraduates
receive some form of financial aid. All Harvard-administered financial
aid is said to be given on the basis of need as determined by the
Financial Aid Office, using need analysis to determine the expected
parent and student contributions. All interested students are
encouraged to apply for admission regardless of their family's
financial situation. The Financial Aid Office will tell you what aid
is available and only then will you really know what it will cost to
attend Harvard.
3.1 Proper documentation of a great number of items is necessary when
requesting Financial Aid."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_undergraduate_entrance_requirements_for_Harvard_University

Thumper

Apr 26, 2011, 7:42:50 PM4/26/11
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:21:49 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgke...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 26, 12:28 pm, Sordo <so...@netzero.net> wrote:
>> April 26, 2011
>>
>> Trump takes up Obama's grades and affirmative action
>>
>> Thomas Lifsonhttp://www.americanthinker.com
>>
>> In an interview with AP, Donald Trump raises the issue of Barack
>> Obama's undergraduate grades and his admission to 2 Ivy League schools
>> -- Columbia University and Harvard Law. Trump avers that Obama wasn't
>> merely an OK student, he was "terrible," and wonders how that merited
>> admission to 2 highly competitive schools.
>>
>> Trump states that he doesn't have access to Obama's well-hidden
>> transcripts, and doesn't specify the source of his knowledge that
>> Obama was a "terrible" student (presumably at Occidental College and
>> the elite Punahou School in Honolulu). . . .
>
>Trump doesn't know what his grades were, but even if he did harvard
>does not have rigid grade requirements. However, whatever their
>requirements are, Harvard obviously managed to find a well qualified
>guy for entrance to their school since Obama graduated magna cum laude
>and later worked as a law professor.
>
>Here's a list of Harvard requirements that I found on the internet, by
>the way:
>

>".0/2.7 ADMISSIONS ? 2.1 Harvard's Admissions Committee says that it

This is just another racist attack, plain and simple. They are
claiming that he got in under affirmative action, as if there is
something wrong with that.
Thumper

Evelyn

Apr 26, 2011, 7:46:16 PM4/26/11
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:42:50 -0400, Thumper <jayl...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Racism raises its ugly head every time.
Depressing.

Evelyn

Gary

Apr 27, 2011, 10:27:34 AM4/27/11
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:36:09 -0700, Rita <Ri...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:01:56 -0400, Evelyn <evely...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:31:03 -0700 (PDT), maxw...@my-deja.com wrote:

>>>Now Trump seems so intellectual and learned compared to Obama.

To an unbiased -- and non prejudiced ear, don't everybody ?

>>Didn't Trump get kicked out of NY Military Academy? I know he was
>>hated at the Wharton School in NJ because he was so arrogant. I know
>>one of his classmates, a woman who said he was universally disliked
>>there.
>>
>>Evelyn
>

>I don't know what Obama's grades were at Harvard Law Schoool but
>hd graduated there magna cum laude, so they could not have been too
>shabby.

Please remember that was in the 1980s. Affirmative action was a very
big thing. How much of his grades do you reckon were "race normed" ?

Come to think of it, this entire administration is "race normed".