Flirtations?

Penn Collins

Jul 8, 1992, 7:46:36 PM7/8/92
well, folks keep telling me to try this group (I like Roccapella music such
as Manhattan Transfer and the Nylons) but in a city this large
I have not found them anywhere....
does anyone know of a mail order place to get them?
thanks/growf.
Penn

Steve Dyer

Jul 9, 1992, 4:05:06 AM7/9/92

The Flirtations were in Denver last week performing at a concert which
crowned the GALA chorus gathering. They're quite wonderful, funny and
affecting, and the audience couldn't get enough of them. At intermission,
they were selling their debut album, _The Flirtations_ and their newly
released album _The Flirtations Live--Out on the Road_. At least there,
cassettes were $10 and CD's $15. I'm not sure what shipping and handling
would be.

The new CD has the following blurb:

To order Flirt albums and other merchandise contact:
The Flirts
P.O. Box 421
Prince Street Station
New York, New York 10012-0008

--
Steve Dyer
dy...@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

Tane' Tachyon

Jul 9, 1992, 1:26:50 PM7/9/92

In article <DkamNB...@penn.Gwinnett.COM> bfb...@penn.Gwinnett.COM (Penn Collins) writes:

Two places that carry their stuff are Romanovsky and Phillips'
Fresh Fruit Fone Line at 1-800-47-FRUIT, and the Ladyslipper
Catalog, at 1-800-634-6044.

|tac...@deeptht.armory.com \ /__ One of the Bivariant Illuminati |
| tac...@ucscb.ucsc.edu \ / / I only like sigs on *other* people|
| tac...@gorn.echo.com \/ / I should go log off and get to work!|
----------------------------------\/----------------------------------------

Ron Buckmire

Jul 9, 1992, 3:14:30 PM7/9/92
bfb...@penn.Gwinnett.COM (Penn Collins) writes:

Try 1-800-47FRUIT, which is the number of the record company they are on,
Fresh Fruit Records.

And believe me, they are faaaaaaaaaabulous

--
uunet!rpi.edu!buckmr||buc...@rpitsmts.bitnet||buc...@rpi.edu||+1 518 276 8919
Barbara Bush: a chronologically gifted, differently interesting, domestic

Ron Buckmire

Jul 9, 1992, 3:19:26 PM7/9/92
dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:

>The Flirtations were in Denver last week performing at a concert which
>crowned the GALA chorus gathering. They're quite wonderful, funny and
>affecting, and the audience couldn't get enough of them. At intermission,
>they were selling their debut album, _The Flirtations_ and their newly
>released album _The Flirtations Live--Out on the Road_. At least there,
>cassettes were $10 and CD's $15. I'm not sure what shipping and handling
>would be.

Were they a quartet or quintet? That is, was Michael Callen performing with
them or no?

David R. Preston

Jul 9, 1992, 1:51:54 PM7/9/92
In article <1992Jul9.0...@spdcc.com> dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:

>they were selling their debut album, _The Flirtations_ and their newly
>released album _The Flirtations Live--Out on the Road_. At least there,
>cassettes were $10 and CD's $15. I'm not sure what shipping and handling
>would be.

$2.50/item. I just got the "community cardpack" which has a card
for the Flirtations.

--
David R. Preston d...@dosbears.uucp
Information gladly given but safety requires

Steve Dyer

Jul 9, 1992, 9:41:43 PM7/9/92
In article <wlc...@rpi.edu> buc...@marcus.its.rpi.edu (Ron Buckmire) writes:
>Were they a quartet or quintet? That is, was Michael Callen performing with
>them or no?

Michael Callen was performing on stage for the entire 3-hour concert.
Sadly, his notoriety as one of the longest-living PWAs may not be for
much longer. He's become noticably thinner and weaker, and the group
used the GALA event to announce and solicit auditions for his
replacement (all male sopranos and falsettists are welcome to try
out.) This sounds like it could have been lugubrious or maudlin, but
it was quite genuine, matter-of-fact and dry-eyed, and all the more
moving because of it.

But on the stage, Callen was really remarkable--his voice and stamina seemed
completely intact, his high notes soared above the harmony like the song
of some rare bird, and his visible frailty seemed to enrich his performance
and make it all the more poignant. Regularly the applause was interrupted
with a chant "Di-va! Di-va! Di-va!...", and Callen would stop, place his
hands on his hips, and then raise his arms above his head, posing in display
and defiance, a temporary apotheosis before the next song would begin.

Jack Hamilton

Jul 10, 1992, 1:28:41 AM7/10/92
In article <wlc...@rpi.edu> buc...@marcus.its.rpi.edu (Ron Buckmire) writes:

>Were they a quartet or quintet? That is, was Michael Callen performing with
>them or no?

They were a quintet in Denver (which is how I got 5 autographs on my copy
of the CD).

Michael announced at the concert that his health has not been as good recently
as he would like it to be. They held auditions for a new male soprano to
sub for him if necessary, or to replace him permanently if it comes to
that.

If you're a male soprano and want to audition, you could probably find out
how through the address posted ealier in this thread.

Jack Hamilton j...@netcom.com P. O. Box 281107 SF, CA 94128-1107

Jack Hamilton

Jul 10, 1992, 1:32:26 AM7/10/92
In article <qlcxd0=@rpi.edu> buc...@marcus.its.rpi.edu (Ron Buckmire) writes:
>Try 1-800-47FRUIT, which is the number of the record company they are on,
>Fresh Fruit Records.

"Out On The Road" is on Flirt Records.

>And believe me, they are faaaaaaaaaabulous

Yes, they are. Even in a big hall like Buell in Denver, and in a small
place like Josie's in San Francisco they're even more fabu.

Kathryn Huxtable

Jul 10, 1992, 11:03:36 AM7/10/92
In article <1992Jul10....@spdcc.com>, dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer)
writes:

> Michael Callen was performing on stage for the entire 3-hour concert.
> Sadly, his notoriety as one of the longest-living PWAs may not be for
> much longer. He's become noticably thinner and weaker, [...]

Sadly, I noticed this when they were in KC a few months ago.
When I spoke to him backstage it was even more obvious. :-(

> But on the stage, Callen was really remarkable--his voice and stamina seemed
> completely intact, his high notes soared above the harmony like the song
> of some rare bird, and his visible frailty seemed to enrich his performance
> and make it all the more poignant.

Yes, he's still wonderful in performance. But his face
doesn't have the range of expression it used to.

Speaking of expressive faces, I've always thought Jon
Arterton (the shaved one) has a very expressive face,
especially the way he does "To Know Him is to Love Him."

--
Kathryn Huxtable \ "Women who laugh too much, and the women
huxt...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu /\ who love them." --- Jamie Anderson

Bob Donahue

Jul 10, 1992, 1:12:56 PM7/10/92
SOC.MOTSS CENSUS, ROUND 1

Here are the first stats from the census I took last
month. To date I have 143 responses. I've divided things up
into geography, age, sex, orientation and posting frequency.
I haven't done any cross referencing yet... I"ll work on that soon.

For people who want to add ot this database, a separate
posting with the relevant form and instructions should pop up
after this...

Cheers, BBC

LOCATION --- ? means I don't have a district within the country

*** Canada *** [4 out of 13? provinces/territories represented]
1 AB CA 2 BC CA 2 ON CA 1 SK CA

*** Europe *** [not sure out to subdivide this yet!]
1 ? DE 1 ? FR 1 ? IE

*** South Pacific/Australia *** [? out of ? districts represented]
2 NSW OZ 1 Victoria OZ 1 ? NZ

*** United Kingdom *** [? out of ? districts represented]
5 ? UK 1 Berks UK 1 N._Yorkshire UK 2 Scotland UK

*** United States *** [29/50 states represented]
33 CA US 3 CO US 1 CT US 2 DC US 2 FL US 1 GA US
1 IA US 7 IL US 1 IN US 1 KS US 12 MA US 1 MD US
2 MI US 1 MN US 4 NC US 1 NE US 1 NH US 4 NJ US
1 NM US 1 NV US 8 NY US 5 OH US 3 OR US 6 PA US
1 RI US 1 SC US 9 TX US 2 VA US 3 WA US 3 WI US

SEX

26 F 115 M 1 pre-op_MtF_TS

M/F ratio 4.42 (23% womyn) this is a little better than
the last census, where it was more like 4.8:1.0 or 21%...

ORIENTATION
87
Each X = 10 X
1 - K ? 2 - K 2 27 - K 5 X
6 - K 0 12 - K 3 87 - K 6 X
4 - K 1 3 - K 4 27 X
12 X X
Grossly lumping "straight" as K0-K1 10 7% 1 6 4 2 X 3 X X
"bisexual" as K2-K4 17 12% --+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--
"lesbian/gay" as K5-K6 114 81% ? 0 1 2 3 4 5 6

This is about the same %age N = 141 Mean = 5.0 Median = 6
of bisexuals as the last census with Mode = 6 <dev> = 1.2
a ~5% change in the strayt/lesgay stddev = 1.7
areas... deg skewness = -8.9
deg kurtosis = 5.6 (leptokurtic)

I haven't set things up to do this cross-referenced with sex yet...

AGE

:
: . : .
: : :. :::
: :::.::::::. . :
..: ::::::::::: :: ::. .
.:::.:::::::::::.::::::::::.:... . .
----|----+----|----+----|----+----|----+----|--
1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 6
8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0

N = 143 Mean = 30.4 Median = 29
Mode = 23 <dev> = 6.1
stddev = 7.9
deg skewness = 1.4
deg kurtosis = 2.9 (slightly leptokurtic)

I have to admit I was surprised by this... I had expected
a greater college-age component, though this could be a fluctuation
given the fact that it's summer break....

POSTING FREQUENCY

42 Each X represents 5.
X 26
X X
16 X 16 X 17
X X X X X
X X X X 10 8 X
X 3 X X X X X 2 X 2 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Never Seldom Occasionally Frequently

N = 143 Mean = 3.5 Median = 3
Mode = 2 <dev> = 2.0 stddev = 2.4
deg skewness = 2.9 deg kurtosis = -1.05 (mesokurtic)

All I'll say is that #10 person is NOT who first same to my mind...

Penn Collins

Jul 10, 1992, 10:08:13 AM7/10/92
buc...@marcus.its.rpi.edu (Ron Buckmire) writes:

> bfb...@penn.Gwinnett.COM (Penn Collins) writes:
>
> >well, folks keep telling me to try this group (I like Roccapella music such
> >as Manhattan Transfer and the Nylons) but in a city this large
> >I have not found them anywhere....
> >does anyone know of a mail order place to get them?
> >thanks/growf.
> Try 1-800-47FRUIT, which is the number of the record company they are on,
> Fresh Fruit Records.
>
> And believe me, they are faaaaaaaaaabulous

thanks! but gadzooks are they hard to find.....Ron (and motss'folk) can anyone
recommend other rocapella groups? (motss friendly is even better)...

I have now moved the computer into the bedroom, next to the heretofore (is that
REALLY a word?) unused CD player...(for some unbeknowst reason the computer
plays havoc with the tuner, so I am drastically increasing the # of CD's...)
any help assisted/apreciated...
growf.(!)

Penn Collins

Jul 10, 1992, 10:11:25 AM7/10/92
buc...@marcus.its.rpi.edu (Ron Buckmire) writes:

> dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>
> >The Flirtations were in Denver last week performing at a concert which
> >crowned the GALA chorus gathering. They're quite wonderful, funny and
> >affecting, and the audience couldn't get enough of them. At intermission,
> >they were selling their debut album, _The Flirtations_ and their newly
> >released album _The Flirtations Live--Out on the Road_. At least there,
> >cassettes were $10 and CD's $15. I'm not sure what shipping and handling
> >would be.
>
> Were they a quartet or quintet? That is, was Michael Callen performing with
> them or no?

another equally wonderful group is the Nylons (tho their earlier stuff IMHO is
better (esp the hardtofind first CD (considered an Import as it was done in
Canada)....saw them in concert a few years ago, they were wonderful!
(tho I could NOT see sitting thru a recent BeeGees concert, they were the opening
act, but bleh...to have to sit thru the BeeGees? nope.

Nelson Minar

Jul 11, 1992, 6:24:01 PM7/11/92
In article <e59oNB...@penn.Gwinnett.COM> bfb...@penn.Gwinnett.COM (Penn Collins) writes:

>thanks! but gadzooks are they hard to find.....Ron (and motss'folk)
>can anyone recommend other rocapella groups? (motss friendly is even
>better)...

The Bobs! They used to describe themselves as "new wave a capella",
but I heard that they've decided that "new wave" doesn't mean
anything, so they now call themselves "alternative a capella".

They've got about 4 albums out, and they're all wonderful. Most of
their music tends to be humour, and I would try to describe it, but I
can't. Similar style to the Nylons and the Flirtations, but in my
opinion, much better. Certainly more unusual.

They aren't particularly queer, but they are certainly friendly. And
they are computer-aware: one of their (unreleased) songs is titled
"E-mail valentine" - it's quite cute.

The best part of all of this? They're playing a concert next Thursday
here in Portland. yay!

ObBobMotss - the first group of people I really came out to were a
bunch of computer geeks in Houston. It was a nice little community of
friends, most about 10 years older than I am, and the fact that I was
gay didn't bother them a bit (and didn't slow down my flirting with
all of the women). They were all really into the Bobs, and that's how
I know them.

ObBobMotss2 - the first man I ever went to bed with destroyed my Bobs
tape. I still love him, anyway.
--
__
nel...@reed.edu \/ Delicious & Nutritious breakfast cereals shot from guns!

Jack Hamilton

Jul 12, 1992, 3:00:36 AM7/12/92
In article <q09oNB...@penn.Gwinnett.COM> bfb...@penn.Gwinnett.COM (Penn
Collins) writes:
>another equally wonderful group is the Nylons (tho their earlier stuff IMHO is
>better (esp the hardtofind first CD (considered an Import as it was done in
>Canada)....saw them in concert a few years ago, they were wonderful!

We had a long discussion about them in soc.motss a while back. Yes, they're
very good, but they're too closeted. I haven't seen them recently, so they
may be getting better about that.

= I were ashamed to be seen in the company of a bunch of homosexuals, I
= wouldn't join a chorus full of homosexuals that gave public performances,
= no matter what they named it.
=
= Mike Pettersen

John Dorrance

Jul 13, 1992, 4:03:53 AM7/13/92
bfb...@penn.Gwinnett.COM (Penn Collins) writes:

>thanks! but gadzooks are they hard to find.....Ron (and motss'folk) can anyone
>recommend other rocapella groups? (motss friendly is even better)...

Take 6. If you can stomach religious music, they're supreme. They have 3
albums out, 'Take 6', 'So Much 2 Say' and 'He Is Christmas'. I love the
first 2 ('Take 6' is more traditional than 'So Much', but 'So Much' has
some really gorgeous ballads. And has anyone ever noticed how uninten-
tionally erotic religious songs can be? All those songs about 'Him' sung
by men...), but I'm really not impressed by the christmas album. Still,
they're highly recommended.

John, who wants to audition for the Flirts real bad...

--
John Dorrance ** Disco Diva y Flamenco Chico ** tha...@odin.unomaha.edu

I always thought of you as my brick wall
Built like an angel, six feet tall.

Penn Collins

Jul 11, 1992, 9:23:42 PM7/11/92
d...@dosbears.UUCP (David R. Preston) writes:

> In article <1992Jul9.0...@spdcc.com> dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) write
>

> $2.50/item. I just got the "community cardpack" which has a card
> for the Flirtations.
>
> >To order Flirt albums and other merchandise contact:
> >The Flirts
> >P.O. Box 421
> >Prince Street Station
> >New York, New York 10012-0008

O.K......now -I- (the original poster) is confused!!

is the name of the group the FLIRTS or the FLIRTATIONS???
(have I been looking for the wrong group maybe?)

Jack Hamilton

Jul 13, 1992, 1:50:40 PM7/13/92
In article <82yRNB...@penn.Gwinnett.COM> bfb...@penn.Gwinnett.COM (Penn
Collins) writes:

>is the name of the group the FLIRTS or the FLIRTATIONS???
>(have I been looking for the wrong group maybe?)

The name of the group is The Flirtations. I think that "The Flirts" is the
name of their "fan club"/marketing organization.

Mike Drayton

Jul 13, 1992, 1:28:47 PM7/13/92
tha...@odin.unomaha.edu (John Dorrance) writes:

> And has anyone ever noticed how unintentionally erotic religious songs

> can be? All those songs about 'Him' sung by men...

----------
You mean like,

I come to the garden alone,
While the dew is still on the roses,
And the song I hear falling on my ear,
The son of god discloses,
And he walks with me and he talks with me,
And he tells me I am his own,
And the joys we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

Whew!

Mike Drayton
mdra...@sr.hp.com

Jack Hamilton

Jul 14, 1992, 12:18:19 AM7/14/92
In article <3259...@hpmwfab2.sr.hp.com> mdra...@hpmwtd.sr.hp.com (Mike
Drayton) writes:

> I come to the garden alone,
> While the dew is still on the roses,
> And the song I hear falling on my ear,
> The son of god discloses,
> And he walks with me and he talks with me,
> And he tells me I am his own,
> And the joys we share as we tarry there,
> None other has ever known.
>
>Whew!

"The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus" is one of my favorites.