Cologne Queen

Gromit

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
I have to admit it - I've become one. It's something I
picked up in London, along with a love for well-made
shoes (the shirt&tie affliction seems to be diminishing,
but maybe because I have another year's worth of shirts
stored away, unwrapped.)

I found a shop in NYC called Aedes de Venustas (I'm sure
someone here will know what it means, I certainly don't)
that has a wonderful selection. None of the mass-produced
designer-label stuff, everything they sell is produced using
natural ingredients. Favorites? So far, there're a couple
from Creed - Green Irish Tweed (sandalwood, violet, verbena,
and iris) and Silver Mountain Water (tea and blackcurrants).
L'Artisan Perfumeur - Merchant Loup (hazelnut, myrrh, and
amber) and L'Eau de Navigateur (coffee, tobacco, and spice).
Czech & Speake (this I found in London) - Frankincense & Myrrh.
Diptyque - L'Ombre dans L'Eau (blackcurrant and rose), Eau Lente
(Indian spices and cinnamon, based on scents used at the
time of Alexander T.G.) and Philosykos (Fig tree).

Wonderful. None of them are overpowering - like, for instance
CK Eternity, which is the best bathroom deodorizer in existance
because it's even stronger than the smell of last night's
black beans. It's become for me part of getting dressed
in the morning. What I like about them is that they don't
conflict with how I smell naturally - they compliment.
They also sell candles & room sprays. I bought J. a
Tuberose candle that smells wonderful. None of it is
cheap, but it's good quality and lasts a long time.

I would recommend to anyone living in or visiting NYC to
visit the store. They're liberal with samples and are
no-pressure about buying anything. Website at:
http://www.aedes.com/

obMotss: obvious

Peter Hartikka

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Gromit wrote in message ...

>Wonderful. None of them are overpowering - like, for instance
>CK Eternity, which is the best bathroom deodorizer in existance
>because it's even stronger than the smell of last night's
>black beans.

Eeeeewwwww.... What's the olfactory equivalent of an earworm??

Richard Jasper

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99

A noseworm perhaps?

Not a NoseGAY, surely...

As for cologne:

My father was vehemently anti-scent, so much so that whenever my mother
indulged the slightest whiff of perfume he carried on as if he'd been
crop-dusted. Coming from a man who smoked four packs of unfiltered
cigarettes a day -- the house, the furniture, the car, our clothes,
everything reeked of tobacco -- it was more than a little hypocritical.

At any rate I didn't really get into cologne until after I came out. The
first boyfriend was a major fan of Tsar and Lagerfeld; Jeremy, ditto,
has his favorites, including Jazz (Calvin Klein) and Curve (Liz
Claiborne).

It seems like it was a phase, though. Working in a cube farm (a very
nice cube farm, actually, much improved over the rabbit warren we used
to have...) I'm VERY aware of other people wearing scent -- and of
colleagues who wind up hacking, snorting and sneezing at the least
little whiff.

-- rpj

Mary Ballard

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
Richard Jasper (lib...@emory.edu) wrote:
: It seems like it was a phase, though. Working in a cube farm (a very

: nice cube farm, actually, much improved over the rabbit warren we used
: to have...) I'm VERY aware of other people wearing scent -- and of
: colleagues who wind up hacking, snorting and sneezing at the least
: little whiff.

Some of these fabricated scents give me _terrible_ headaches
within moments of exposure to them. There are magazines that
I won't buy/read because they have those stupid little sniff
pages. Even after you tear the heinous things out, the magazine
often still reeks of the shit. Nasty. People who wear the shit
don't endear me to them either. I've run students out of my
office and changed seats at public events to escape their awful
chemical smell.

Mary "You'll have to come back to discuss your test with me while
not wearing that perfume. You're making me sick." Ballard

--
Copyright 1999 Mary Ballard // I do not speak for Appalachian State U.
// ball...@am.appstate.edu

Fritz Rathmann

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
Peter Hartikka wrote:

> Gromit wrote in message ...
>
> >Wonderful. None of them are overpowering - like, for instance
> >CK Eternity, which is the best bathroom deodorizer in existance
> >because it's even stronger than the smell of last night's
> >black beans.
>
> Eeeeewwwww.... What's the olfactory equivalent of an earworm??

Nasal drip? .................. Oh God! I'm sorry!

Fritz

Fritz Rathmann

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
Mary Ballard wrote:

> Some of these fabricated scents give me _terrible_ headaches
> within moments of exposure to them. There are magazines that
> I won't buy/read because they have those stupid little sniff
> pages. Even after you tear the heinous things out, the magazine
> often still reeks of the shit. Nasty. People who wear the shit
> don't endear me to them either. I've run students out of my
> office and changed seats at public events to escape their awful
> chemical smell.
>
> Mary "You'll have to come back to discuss your test with me while
> not wearing that perfume. You're making me sick." Ballard

A teacher after my own heart. During one of my finals last semester, a
"gentleman" in front of me reeked so strongly, I couldn't concentrate.
Two hours of the assault and I left the test with one of the worst
headaches I'd had in years. I swear, it was as if I smelled it on me
until I got home and could shower. Weren't perfumes and colognes
invented when people didn't bathe and needed something to cover the
odor? I think the necessity is long past ... hopefully <G>

Fritz

Gromit

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
In article <7ce5sr$jv6$1...@lester.appstate.edu>, ball...@am.appstate.edu
(Mary Ballard) wrote:

> Richard Jasper (lib...@emory.edu) wrote:
> : It seems like it was a phase, though. Working in a cube farm (a very
> : nice cube farm, actually, much improved over the rabbit warren we used
> : to have...) I'm VERY aware of other people wearing scent -- and of
> : colleagues who wind up hacking, snorting and sneezing at the least
> : little whiff.
>

> Some of these fabricated scents give me _terrible_ headaches
> within moments of exposure to them.

I wonder if you would have the same reaction to all-natural
scents. If you don't get headaches from the smell of roses,
blackcurrants, or figs, you shouldn't get a reaction to scents
made from them. I would think.

Gromit

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
In article <7chmjl$qi7$1...@lester.appstate.edu>, ball...@am.appstate.edu
(Mary Ballard) wrote:

[...]

> p.s. beck asks if you want to be called Gromit because
> you love cheese?

I like foreskins but I like them to be clean - or were you
asking something else? Our Robert in Scandinavia pointed out
his attraction to Gromit (in a human male form) as desireable,
and I agreed. So I co-opted the name.

Mary Ballard

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99

:
: I wonder if you would have the same reaction to all-natural
: scents. If you don't get headaches from the smell of roses,
: blackcurrants, or figs, you shouldn't get a reaction to scents
: made from them. I would think.

I think I'm okay with most natural scents. It's the (hu)man-made
stuff that seems to make me feel bad. I like patchuli, amber,
sandlewood, lavender, etc. A few 'designer' fragrances are ok
too; CK1, for example, doesn't make me feel sick.

Mary

p.s. beck asks if you want to be called Gromit because
you love cheese?

David Speakman

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
On 15 Mar 1999 01:09:09 GMT, ball...@am.appstate.edu (Mary Ballard)
wrote:

> few 'designer' fragrances are ok
>too; CK1, for example, doesn't make me feel sick.

That stuff makes me sneeze.
--
David Speakman
http://david.speakman.com

Clayton Colwell

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
Mary Ballard (ball...@am.appstate.edu) wrote:

: I think I'm okay with most natural scents. It's the (hu)man-made

: stuff that seems to make me feel bad. I like patchuli, amber,

: sandlewood, lavender, etc. A few 'designer' fragrances are ok

: too; CK1, for example, doesn't make me feel sick.

Interesting; I find it difficult to be in the presence of
patchouli (and to a lesser extent sandelwood) for more than
a few moments because my lungs rebel -- I'm not choking _per
se_, but I find myself gasping and seeking out untainted air
very quickly.

I used to wear a bit of Fahrenheit or Halston on occasion; now
I just don't bother -- just an extra bit of adornment that
means little to me, so I usually don't trouble myself with it.

****** Clay Colwell (aka Stealth) ********** er...@bga.com ******
* "In the future, we will recognize software crashes as technologically *
* mandated ergonomic rest breaks - and we will pay extra for them." *
* -- Crazy Uncle Joe Hannibal *

Mary Ballard

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
The Morph on the Other Side of the Mirror (g...@panix.com) wrote:
: My lungs completely stop working if i'm anywhere near sandalwood; it's
: like trying to breathe through plastic. Patchouli (and other rilly
: strong scents - including almost all kinds of incense[0]) leave me with
: the same gasping and searching for clean air reaction.

I can't tolerate incense either. It makes me naseous and headachey.
You have to be able to tolerate patchouli if you live in Boone.

Hippyhippyhop.

Mary

David W. Fenton

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Gromit (g...@panix.com) wrote:
: I wonder if you would have the same reaction to all-natural
: scents. If you don't get headaches from the smell of roses,
: blackcurrants, or figs, you shouldn't get a reaction to scents
: made from them. I would think.

Roses give me an itchy nose first and a terrible sinus headache later.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

David W. Fenton

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Clayton Colwell (er...@bga.com) wrote:
: I used to wear a bit of Fahrenheit or Halston on occasion; now

: I just don't bother -- just an extra bit of adornment that
: means little to me, so I usually don't trouble myself with it.

I had the unfortunate experience of having a temp job at Calvin Klein
Cosmetics during the Obsession launch.

I almost quit.

Clayton Colwell

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
David W. Fenton (dXXXf...@bway.net) wrote:

: Clayton Colwell (er...@bga.com) wrote:
: : I used to wear a bit of Fahrenheit or Halston on occasion; now
: : I just don't bother -- just an extra bit of adornment that
: : means little to me, so I usually don't trouble myself with it.

: I had the unfortunate experience of having a temp job at Calvin Klein
: Cosmetics during the Obsession launch.

: I almost quit.

Cologne is Yet Another Reason I'll never go into marketing.
If I had to sit in a conference room with 12 suits and 12
conflicting fragrances, I'd asphixiate on the spot.

Gromit

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
In article <36ee5...@feed1.realtime.net>, er...@bga.com (Clayton Colwell)
wrote:

> David W. Fenton (dXXXf...@bway.net) wrote:
> : Clayton Colwell (er...@bga.com) wrote:
> : : I used to wear a bit of Fahrenheit or Halston on occasion; now
> : : I just don't bother -- just an extra bit of adornment that
> : : means little to me, so I usually don't trouble myself with it.
>
> : I had the unfortunate experience of having a temp job at Calvin Klein
> : Cosmetics during the Obsession launch.
>
> : I almost quit.
>
> Cologne is Yet Another Reason I'll never go into marketing.
> If I had to sit in a conference room with 12 suits and 12
> conflicting fragrances, I'd asphixiate on the spot.

I often smell strong cologne on teenagers and young men in
the street and on subways. I almost never smell it on people
wearing suits, but then they may have learned how to wear it
or it may be that I don't spend much time with true marketing
types.

Kenneth Ashton Callicott

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
In article <glp-160399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,

Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:

>I often smell strong cologne on teenagers and young men in
>the street and on subways. I almost never smell it on people
>wearing suits, but then they may have learned how to wear it

It may be the nature of cologne that one only really notices it
when it's poorly applied.

A friend of mine insists the proper way to wear cologne is to
spray it into the air and walk through the resulting mist. It
seems very Marsha Brady to me, but then again, I don't think
Marsha ever wore perfume.

Ken, who errs on the side of none-at-all.

--
Ken Callicott Hopkins Marine Station kac...@leland.stanford.edu
"For elephants, most of whom remain art-world outsiders, this unbridled

Gromit

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
In article <7cm8dg$k...@saga20.Stanford.EDU>, kac...@leland.Stanford.EDU
(Kenneth Ashton Callicott) wrote:

> In article <glp-160399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> >I often smell strong cologne on teenagers and young men in
> >the street and on subways. I almost never smell it on people
> >wearing suits, but then they may have learned how to wear it
>
> It may be the nature of cologne that one only really notices it
> when it's poorly applied.
>
> A friend of mine insists the proper way to wear cologne is to
> spray it into the air and walk through the resulting mist. It
> seems very Marsha Brady to me, but then again, I don't think
> Marsha ever wore perfume.

My recent experience is that are three factors for me -
the concentration of the scent, what it does on my skin
(many of them disappear almost immediately), and how much
I'll be sweating. The desired effect for me is that you
can only smell them if you get closer than about 6 inches.

Clayton Colwell

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
: wrote:

: > Cologne is Yet Another Reason I'll never go into marketing.

: > If I had to sit in a conference room with 12 suits and 12
: > conflicting fragrances, I'd asphixiate on the spot.

Argh! That's "asphyxiate".

: I often smell strong cologne on teenagers and young men in

: the street and on subways.

In my college days, one fratboy managed to empty a bus because
of the reek of Eternity -- he must've used half a bottle or something.

: I almost never smell it on people

: wearing suits, but then they may have learned how to wear it

: or it may be that I don't spend much time with true marketing
: types.

The reason I brought it up is because, for a number of months,
my cubicle was located very near a marketing department, and
I was subjected to folks who left palpable scent-wakes
that would take 30-60 minutes to either dissipate or me to
accustom myself to it.

Let me hasten to add that I *do* like cologne. I just much
prefer it as a subtle hint instead of an aromachete.

Leith Chu

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Kenneth Ashton Callicott wrote:

> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> >I often smell strong cologne on teenagers and young men in
> >the street and on subways. I almost never smell it on people

> >wearing suits, but then they may have learned how to wear it
> It may be the nature of cologne that one only really notices it
> when it's poorly applied.

Unfortunately, I can't even begin to count the number of times we've had
to deal with excessive scent application at the office. At one point
several people left work sick on several occasions because some woman
was "freshening" her perfume in the bathroom, strongly enough that the
entire floor could smell it.

Leith

Leith Chu

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Ricardo wrote:

> Seeing how I am NOT a Dr., and not worthy of my own office, this
> arrangement will be short-lived. Turns out that my future office mate
> has openly stated that she will not tone down her perfume usage for my
> benefit.
> Anyone have any ideas on what I could do next? I know that I will get
> violently ill because of this sensitivity, and I like my job too much
> to quit.

You've already told your employer of your sensitivity. Throw up on your
new office mate. Daily.

Leith

Gromit

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
In article <36EEE5EF...@pei.sympatico.ca>, Leith Chu
<Isla...@pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

That is *nothing* compared to women who apply nail polish on
airplanes.

Gromit

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
In article <36EFD475...@itsa.ucsf.edu>, sal...@itsa.ucsf.edu wrote:

> I am so glad to find this thread on cologne usage! I am at the
> unfortunate extreme of being highly allergic to most fragrances; soaps,
> and whatever chemicals are used in paper products as well.
> I work for UCSF and have had to invoke the disabilities issue regarding
> this;
> I went to my MD and had him write an extensive report on the migraines,
> et al., that being exposed to fragrances triggers in me.

Isn't the allergy to paper products more problematic? I think
that would make it very difficult to work in any office.

> I do not dislike fragrances, they just happen to affect me negatively.
> This issue has made me somewhat a pariah among those who feel threatened
> by my speaking up.
> As a result of my Dr's. note (and the school's fear of a lawsuit) I have
> been moved temporarily to an office away from highly trafficed areas.

> Seeing how I am NOT a Dr., and not worthy of my own office, this
> arrangement will be short-lived. Turns out that my future office mate
> has openly stated that she will not tone down her perfume usage for my
> benefit.

For all my recent enjoyment of fragrances I can't imagine
copping that sort of attitude. What's your reaction to
black beans? You could share, is what I'm getting at.

> Anyone have any ideas on what I could do next? I know that I will get
> violently ill because of this sensitivity, and I like my job too much
> to quit.

I would ask your manager to have a talk with your future
office mate and ask her to, out of common courtesy, no
do something that she doesn't need to do out so that you
don't get migraines.

Melinda Shore

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
In article <glp-170399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,

Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
>That is *nothing* compared to women who apply nail polish on
>airplanes.

Or men who chew gum on airplanes, for that matter -
that smell really turns my stomach.
--
Melinda Shore - Cayuga Whine Trail - sh...@panix.com
If you send me harassing email, I'll probably post it

Gromit

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
In article <7cpe8k$15b$1...@panix2.panix.com>, sh...@panix.com (Melinda
Shore) wrote:

> In article <glp-170399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> >That is *nothing* compared to women who apply nail polish on
> >airplanes.
>
> Or men who chew gum on airplanes, for that matter -
> that smell really turns my stomach.

Please. I've never seen a man apply nail polish on
an airplane, and gum doesn't include solvents - and
women chewing gum on airplanes doesn't bother you?

Kenneth Ashton Callicott

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
>In article <36EFD475...@itsa.ucsf.edu>, sal...@itsa.ucsf.edu wrote:
>
>> I do not dislike fragrances, they just happen to affect me negatively.
>> This issue has made me somewhat a pariah among those who feel threatened
>> by my speaking up.
>> As a result of my Dr's. note (and the school's fear of a lawsuit) I have
>> been moved temporarily to an office away from highly trafficed areas.
>> Seeing how I am NOT a Dr., and not worthy of my own office, this
>> arrangement will be short-lived. Turns out that my future office mate
>> has openly stated that she will not tone down her perfume usage for my
>> benefit.
>
>For all my recent enjoyment of fragrances I can't imagine
>copping that sort of attitude. What's your reaction to
>black beans? You could share, is what I'm getting at.

I doubt she'd get the point, and it might prompt her to glade
the place.

>> Anyone have any ideas on what I could do next? I know that I will get
>> violently ill because of this sensitivity, and I like my job too much
>> to quit.
>
>I would ask your manager to have a talk with your future
>office mate and ask her to, out of common courtesy, no
>do something that she doesn't need to do out so that you
>don't get migraines.

I'd point out that this was an ADA situation and ask that the
workplace be designated a fragrance-free zone. That way they
wouldn't even have to put you in an out-of-the-way office.
After all, there's no medical need for perfume or cologne.

Ken.

Melinda Shore

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
>Please. I've never seen a man apply nail polish on
>an airplane, and gum doesn't include solvents - and
>women chewing gum on airplanes doesn't bother you?

Oh. I thought we were using gender-specific pronouns.
But yeah, anybody chewing gum on an airplane bothers
me. Solvents do not.

I'm still kind of weirded out by the peanut-free zone
thing.

Gromit

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
In article <7cpie4$3ri$1...@panix2.panix.com>, sh...@panix.com (Melinda
Shore) wrote:

> In article <glp-170399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> >Please. I've never seen a man apply nail polish on
> >an airplane, and gum doesn't include solvents - and
> >women chewing gum on airplanes doesn't bother you?
>
> Oh. I thought we were using gender-specific pronouns.
> But yeah, anybody chewing gum on an airplane bothers
> me. Solvents do not.
>
> I'm still kind of weirded out by the peanut-free zone
> thing.

I don't remember receiving anything but pretzels in coach,
and even American bidness class now gives you a choice between
warmed nuts and oyster crackers. I take both.

Brad Macdonald

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
On 17 Mar 1999, Melinda Shore wrote:
> In article <glp-170399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> >Please. I've never seen a man apply nail polish on
> >an airplane, and gum doesn't include solvents - and
> >women chewing gum on airplanes doesn't bother you?
>
> Oh. I thought we were using gender-specific pronouns.
> But yeah, anybody chewing gum on an airplane bothers
> me. Solvents do not.
>
> I'm still kind of weirded out by the peanut-free zone
> thing.

I recently heard from a male flight attendent of many years
that the worst part of his job is smelly feet, the tendency
of passengers to take off their shoes after boarding.

I can't say that I've seen an Odor Eaters commercial wherein the
offender was a woman.

Brad

Gromit

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
In article
<Pine.GSO.3.95qL.9903...@konichiwa.cc.columbia.edu>,
Brad Macdonald <br...@columbia.edu> wrote:

[...]

> I recently heard from a male flight attendent of many years
> that the worst part of his job is smelly feet, the tendency
> of passengers to take off their shoes after boarding.
>
> I can't say that I've seen an Odor Eaters commercial wherein the
> offender was a woman.

Sexist.

Richard Jasper

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99

Mary Ballard wrote:

> Gromit (g...@panix.com) wrote:
> : In article <36EFD475...@itsa.ucsf.edu>, sal...@itsa.ucsf.edu

> : Isn't the allergy to paper products more problematic? I think

> : that would make it very difficult to work in any office.

Wouldn't that depend on the paper product? Although all paper products
are going to have chemicals in them, not all are going to have fragrance
added.

> Not to mention that it would make it difficult to wipe your > as^H^Hnose.

Do people still use handkerchiefs? (Handkerchieves? I don't even
remember how to spell it...) I mean for noseblowing purposes, not
sexual advertising.

My father did but I'm a Kleenex kid; I never got the hang of
handkerchiefs.

-- rpj

John Dorrance

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Charlie Fulton wrote:

> Sometimes when I'm feeling impish in a bookstore, I'll quickly rip open
> and fan about every scented perfume magazine ad I can lay my hands on.
> It kicks up the most nauseating funk of cheap, conflicting scents in a
> jif.

In department stores, I like to spray myself liberally with every
sample scent on the perfume counter. I like smelling like a French
Cathouse!!!

> People are supposed to smell like Dr. Bronners.

I don't like Dr. Bronners'. I'm an Ivory Liquid girl.

--

John Dorrance Madison, WI jo...@chorus.net

"I'm no fucking Bhuhddhishth, but this is enlightenment." -- Bjork

Leith Chu

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Gromit wrote:

> sh...@panix.com (Melinda Shore) wrote:
> > I'm still kind of weirded out by the peanut-free zone
> > thing.
> I don't remember receiving anything but pretzels in coach,
> and even American bidness class now gives you a choice between
> warmed nuts and oyster crackers. I take both.

Hmm, I've received pretzels, cold bagels, sandwiches, and pizza pockets
in coach (not on the same flight) on American airlines (to be specific,
American Airlines and American Eagle). I've never flown business or
first with them.

On Canadian Airlines, I've received pretzels, cookies, snack mix, and
various hot and cold meals in Steerage (even sometimes getting a
*choice* when a meal was served) and a better quality of the same in
Business (no Canadian airline offers first class any more). It's gotten
to the point where I can sometimes tell which hub the airline picked up
its meals.

I don't want to talk about my experiences with Air Canada's food, other
than to say "bean loaf"??

Leith

Mary Ballard

Melinda Shore

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
>I don't remember receiving anything but pretzels in coach,
>and even American bidness class now gives you a choice between
>warmed nuts and oyster crackers. I take both.

Depends on the airline. US Airways gives a bowl of mixed
nuts in first class on flights where they serve meals (your
choice of miscellaneous packaged crap on shorter flights)
and occasionally peanuts (but usually pretzels) in coach.
British Airways gives free grazing on bags of miscellaneous
packaged crap in economy, including peanuts, as does Air
France (modulo the free grazing). The disappearance of the
peanut on domestic flights is fine with me - I'm not all
that fond of the way they smell, but I'm not allergic to
them. But the whole peanut-free row thing, I dunno.

Jeffrey William McKeough

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
>Please. I've never seen a man apply nail polish on
>an airplane,

I have. It didn't really bother me, though.

--
Jeffrey William McKeough
san...@spdcc.com

Richard Jasper

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99

Fritz Rathmann wrote:

> Richard Jasper wrote:
>
> > Do people still use handkerchiefs? (Handkerchieves? I don't even
> > remember how to spell it...) I mean for noseblowing purposes, not
> > sexual advertising.
> >
> > My father did but I'm a Kleenex kid; I never got the hang of
> > handkerchiefs.
> >

> Absolutely handkerchiefs. Kleenex just fall apart and leave bits of
> fluff in my moustache. Makes me feel the same as walking out of a
> restroom with toilet paper stuck to my heel. <g>

I suppose.

In my case I've always felt that hanging onto a snotty handkerchief was
lot like putting used toilet paper back in my pocket rather than
flushing it down the potty.

Eww, icky, gross, in other words.

-- rpj

Fritz Rathmann

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Richard Jasper wrote:

> Do people still use handkerchiefs? (Handkerchieves? I don't even
> remember how to spell it...) I mean for noseblowing purposes, not
> sexual advertising.
>
> My father did but I'm a Kleenex kid; I never got the hang of
> handkerchiefs.

Absolutely handkerchiefs. Kleenex just fall apart and leave bits of
fluff in my moustache. Makes me feel the same as walking out of a
restroom with toilet paper stuck to my heel. <g>

Fritz

Clayton Colwell

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Brad Macdonald (br...@columbia.edu) wrote:
: On 17 Mar 1999, Melinda Shore wrote:

: I recently heard from a male flight attendent of many years

: that the worst part of his job is smelly feet, the tendency
: of passengers to take off their shoes after boarding.

Either these passengers are real swampfeet, or this guy's
duty roster makes him perform some *really* unorthodox tasks.

: I can't say that I've seen an Odor Eaters commercial wherein the
: offender was a woman.

I've heard a foot-powder radio ad with one male and one female offender.

Greg Havican

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
In article <glp-170399...@glp.dialup.access.net>, g...@panix.com
says...

> In article <36EFD475...@itsa.ucsf.edu>, sal...@itsa.ucsf.edu wrote:
>
> > I am so glad to find this thread on cologne usage! I am at the
> > unfortunate extreme of being highly allergic to most fragrances; soaps,
> > and whatever chemicals are used in paper products as well.
> > I work for UCSF and have had to invoke the disabilities issue regarding
> > this;
> > I went to my MD and had him write an extensive report on the migraines,
> > et al., that being exposed to fragrances triggers in me.
>
> Isn't the allergy to paper products more problematic? I think
> that would make it very difficult to work in any office.

I'm one of those people who absolutely loves the smell of paper
products. Whenever I get a new magazine or book I have to open it and
bury my nose in it and take a good whif. I just wish they made
Cologne which smelled like it.

--
Greg

Greg Havican |
----------------|----------------------------------
g...@havican.com | http://www.havican.com

Fritz Rathmann

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Richard Jasper wrote:

> Fritz Rathmann wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > Absolutely handkerchiefs. Kleenex just fall apart and leave bits
> of
> > fluff in my moustache. Makes me feel the same as walking out of a
> > restroom with toilet paper stuck to my heel. <g>
>

> I suppose.
>
> In my case I've always felt that hanging onto a snotty handkerchief
> was
> lot like putting used toilet paper back in my pocket rather than
> flushing it down the potty.
>
> Eww, icky, gross, in other words.

You may have cured me as far as handkerchiefs! Still kleenex never
seem to hold up under my mighty sneezes and I end up blowing all over
everything anyway. I'll just abstain from either. I guess this means
I'll never be invited to dinner? <G>

Fritz

Gromit

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
In article <36F10A45...@emory.edu>, Richard Jasper
<lib...@emory.edu> wrote:

> Fritz Rathmann wrote:
>
> > Richard Jasper wrote:
> >
> > > Do people still use handkerchiefs? (Handkerchieves? I don't even
> > > remember how to spell it...) I mean for noseblowing purposes, not
> > > sexual advertising.
> > >
> > > My father did but I'm a Kleenex kid; I never got the hang of
> > > handkerchiefs.
> > >

> > Absolutely handkerchiefs. Kleenex just fall apart and leave bits of
> > fluff in my moustache. Makes me feel the same as walking out of a
> > restroom with toilet paper stuck to my heel. <g>
>
> I suppose.
>
> In my case I've always felt that hanging onto a snotty handkerchief was
> lot like putting used toilet paper back in my pocket rather than
> flushing it down the potty.

I don't know about you, but I see many differences between snot
and shit.

Melinda Shore

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
In article <glp-180399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,

Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
>I don't know about you, but I see many differences between snot
>and shit.

I think one's sensitivity to that distinction depends on
where one is accustomed to keeping one's nose.

Gromit

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
In article <7crnsv$kqi$1...@panix2.panix.com>, sh...@panix.com (Melinda
Shore) wrote:

> In article <glp-180399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> >I don't know about you, but I see many differences between snot
> >and shit.
>
> I think one's sensitivity to that distinction depends on
> where one is accustomed to keeping one's nose.

People vomit from their mouths. How could you possibly kiss
that filthy hole?

Kenneth Ashton Callicott

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <7crnsv$kqi$1...@panix2.panix.com>, sh...@panix.com (Melinda
>Shore) wrote:
>
>> In article <glp-180399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
>> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
>> >I don't know about you, but I see many differences between snot
>> >and shit.
>>
>> I think one's sensitivity to that distinction depends on
>> where one is accustomed to keeping one's nose.
>
>People vomit from their mouths.

That's *hot*.

> How could you possibly kiss that filthy hole?

Practice.

Ken.

--
Ken Callicott Hopkins Marine Station kac...@leland.stanford.edu

"...two males...regularly mouthed the penis of the other on a
reciprocal basis. This behavior, however, may be nutritively
rather than sexually motivated."
--T.L. Maple, quoted in _Biological Exuberance_

Ellen Evans

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
[]
>People vomit from their mouths. How could you possibly kiss
>that filthy hole?

Analzye This:

Billy Crystal asks Robert DeNiro why he has a mistress if his relationship
is okay with his wife. Robert DeNiro says there are things the mistress
can do that his wife shouldn't. Crystal asks what. That's the mouth that
she kisses my children with, DeNiro answers.
--
Ellen Evans 17 Across: The "her" of "Leave Her to Heaven"
je...@panix.com New York Times, 7/14/96

Kathryn L. Schmitz

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <7csi5d$gva$1...@panix3.panix.com>, Ellen Evans <je...@panix.com> wrote:

>Billy Crystal asks Robert DeNiro why he has a mistress if his relationship
>is okay with his wife. Robert DeNiro says there are things the mistress
>can do that his wife shouldn't. Crystal asks what. That's the mouth that
>she kisses my children with, DeNiro answers.

So does Bob let his wife fuck other people, too, in the spirit
of fairness? Or equal opportunity? Or the Golden Rule?

Katie, willing to consider all possibilities

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Kathryn L. Schmitz wrote:

"Let"?

-- rpj

Melinda Shore

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F2557B...@emory.edu>,
Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
>"Let"?

Richard, if you really don't want people to laugh at you,
you should probably avoid posting anything that even
remotely touches on women's issues. If you feel you must
post something that relates to women, learn to be
comfortable with people's perceptions of you as a clumsy
poseur failed nice-guy-wannabe.

You and I both *earned* our reputations.

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Melinda Shore wrote:

> In article <36F2557B...@emory.edu>,
> Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
> >"Let"?
>
> Richard, if you really don't want people to laugh at you,
> you should probably avoid posting anything that even
> remotely touches on women's issues. If you feel you must
> post something that relates to women, learn to be
> comfortable with people's perceptions of you as a clumsy
> poseur failed nice-guy-wannabe.

Feel free, Melinda. I find it rather uproariously funny that a
person who isn't capable of forming, much less maintaining,
significant affectional relationships feels so thoroughly
*empowered* to discuss those of others. Doesn't stop you from
claiming vast insight with respect to pregnancy, child-birth and
child-rearing, either, which is also something of a hoot.

-- rpj

Melinda Shore

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F25C59...@emory.edu>,

I've never claimed particular insight into any of the
above, and I heartily encourage you to to out and find
instances of my doing so. While I rarely (explictly)
try to hold myself up as a model of anything, I should
point out that I decided some years ago that I would not
be much of a parent and chose not to become one. I
think you should probably have made a similar decision.

Tane' Tachyon

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Ellen Evans wrote:

> In article <glp-180399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> []
> >People vomit from their mouths. How could you possibly kiss
> >that filthy hole?
>
> Analzye This:
>
> Billy Crystal asks Robert DeNiro why he has a mistress if his relationship
> is okay with his wife. Robert DeNiro says there are things the mistress
> can do that his wife shouldn't. Crystal asks what. That's the mouth that
> she kisses my children with, DeNiro answers.

Brewster McCloud:

Shelley Duvall's character finds a dead body, throws up, and then,
being in need of comfort, *immediately* pulls her boyfriend into a
liplock.
--
Tane' Tachyon = tac...@cats.ucsc.edu = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Melinda Shore wrote:

> While I rarely (explictly)
> try to hold myself up as a model of anything, I should
> point out that I decided some years ago that I would not
> be much of a parent and chose not to become one. I
> think you should probably have made a similar decision.

As I've said before, I think statements like these justify throwing
back at you
*anything* that might make you flinch.

-- rpj

Melinda Shore

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F27037...@emory.edu>,

Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
>As I've said before, I think statements like these justify throwing
>back at you
>*anything* that might make you flinch.

Whatever. But what kind of messages are your kids learning
from you? What if your daughter turns out to be smart?
Opinionated? Analytical? Through the entire time you've
been here you've consistently devalued these qualities, and
you've said that women who show these traits have an
overabundance of testosterone, wear strap-on dildos, and/
or have actual penises. What kind of lessons do you think
that your daughter is learning from you? What about your
son - do you think he's going to respect bright, aggressive
women? Or is he going to grow up, become a parent, and
continue passing on the garbage he learned from you?

It's not as if you just recently started saying this kind
of thing because you recently made the startling discovery
that it pisses me off. You've been saying it all along.
And if you had any kind of emotional sensitivity
whatsoever, you'd be able to figure out how to piss me off
without attacking women as a class.

FJ!!

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F27037...@emory.edu>,
Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
>Melinda Shore wrote:
>> point out that I decided some years ago that I would not
>> be much of a parent and chose not to become one. I
>> think you should probably have made a similar decision.

>As I've said before, I think statements like these justify throwing

>back at you *anything* that might make you flinch.

Why do you consider that decision so sacred that it cannote be examined?

FJ!!

Logic is an invention of the patriarchy.

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Melinda Shore wrote:

> In article <36F27037...@emory.edu>,
> Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
> >As I've said before, I think statements like these justify throwing
> >back at you
> >*anything* that might make you flinch.
>

> Whatever. But what kind of messages are your kids learning
> from you? What if your daughter turns out to be smart?
> Opinionated? Analytical?

<takes bait, dammit>My daughter is already smart, opinionated and
analytical, thank you. As is her dad.

She's not, however, an unfeeling asshole, and she doesn't go around with
a humongous chip on her shoulder. If she decides that the only way she
can deal with sexism is to embrace the so-called "privilege" associated
with macho culture bullshit then we will have a little talk about the
ways in which macho culture bullshit was used -- and is still used -- to
oppress sissy fagboys like her dad and her stepdad.

</bait>

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Melinda Shore wrote:<more bait>

> What about your
> son - do you think he's going to respect bright, aggressive
> women? Or is he going to grow up, become a parent, and
> continue passing on the garbage he learned from you?

If he grows up admiring men OR women for doing the kinds of things YOU
do, then I'll be seriously disappointed. Inasmuch as he's surrounded by
thoroughly bright, thoroughly loving people, male and female, who are
NOT addicted, as you are, to macho culture bullshit I don't think I have
anything to worry about.

</more>

Melinda Shore

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F27973...@emory.edu>,

Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
><takes bait, dammit>My daughter is already smart, opinionated and
>analytical, thank you. As is her dad.

Well, *that's* not good. But if she's as smart and
analytical as her dad, at least she won't have to worry
about him calling her a man.

Microsoft claims that NT is a secure OS.

Look, you're not smart and you're certainly not analytical.
On a rare, good day you're about average. *Saying* that
you're smart doesn't make you smart, just as saying that
you're a good person doesn't make you a good person. Part
of the problem that you have here is that there's a
disconnect between what you say you are and how you behave,
and you wouldn't have that problem if you'd stop running
around telling everyone that you're sensitive, intelligent,
kind, good, and so on. People are going to draw their own
conclusions anyway, as you can see from this thread.

Melinda Shore

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F27BD9...@emory.edu>,

Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
>If he grows up admiring men OR women for doing the kinds of things YOU
>do, then I'll be seriously disappointed.

That's not what I asked. The question is what your
children are likely to learn from the kind of crap you've
been spewing here.

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Melinda Shore wrote:

> It's not as if you just recently started saying this kind
> of thing because you recently made the startling discovery
> that it pisses me off. You've been saying it all along.
> And if you had any kind of emotional sensitivity
> whatsoever, you'd be able to figure out how to piss me off
> without attacking women as a class.

Yes and no.

Melinda, I detest hyperaggressiveness. I detest having to put other
people down to make yourself look / feel good. I detest the idea of
always having to win, of always having to come out on top. I detest the
"never show weakness, never back down, always get the last word"
approach.

I detest it because I was the victim of it. I detest it because it was
something held up to ME as something *I* should do. I detest it because
I was called weak and unmanly and a sissy for not embracing it.

The idea that THAT could be equated with smart, opinionated and
analytical is likewise abhorrent.

If it's the way YOU need to interact with the world, that's really
incredibly unfortunate for you and for the rest of us. It's not
unfortunate because you are a WOMAN; it's unfortunate because you are a
human being and it's fundamentally inhumane behavior.

It's also incredibly ironic, from my point of view.

If you're going to co-opt the *behavior* of macho culture bullshitters
you might as well co-opt their symbols, as well. If pointing out that in
taking on those behaviors you might as well be brandishing a Jeff
Stryker dildo and wearing melon sized cojones for epaulets (images you
detest) made you flinch for one moment then as far as I'm concerned I've
succeeded.

-- rpj

Robert S. Coren

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F27F59...@emory.edu>,

Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:

>Melinda, I detest hyperaggressiveness. I detest having to put other
>people down to make yourself look / feel good. I detest the idea of
>always having to win, of always having to come out on top. I detest the
>"never show weakness, never back down, always get the last word"
>approach.

Then why do you persist in doing it?
--
-------Robert Coren (co...@spdcc.com)-------------------------
"Yet another reason not to read Usenet."

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Robert S. Coren wrote:

> In article <36F27F59...@emory.edu>,
> Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
> >
> >Melinda, I detest hyperaggressiveness. I detest having to put other
> >people down to make yourself look / feel good. I detest the idea of
> >always having to win, of always having to come out on top. I detest the
> >"never show weakness, never back down, always get the last word"
> >approach.
>
> Then why do you persist in doing it?

Are you suggesting that I do all those things or just some of those things?

I think you could make a reasonable argument that I'm definitely in the
"never back down, always get the last word" mode at the moment but the rest
of it is just laughable, Robert.

-- rpj

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

FJ!! wrote:

> Why do you consider that decision so sacred that it cannote be examined?

It's not remotely sacred. Moreover, if soc.motss REALLY gave two figs about
ideas like "community" or "appropriate behavior" it wouldn't be necessary.

-- rpj

Richard Jasper

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Melinda Shore wrote:

> In article <36F27973...@emory.edu>,

> Look, you're not smart and you're certainly not analytical.
> On a rare, good day you're about average.

You are regularly applauded for your succinctness, Melinda, and it's
well-deserved in this case, too. That you could think to utter these
two sentences speaks volumes regarding your egotism.

-- rpj

Melinda Shore

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F27F59...@emory.edu>,
Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
>Melinda, I detest hyperaggressiveness.

That's nice, but it's entirely off-topic.

Again, you claim that you're choosing to do the whole
women-with-testosterone thing because you've discovered
that it annoys me. There are several problems with that
assertion, not the least of which is that you've been
saying things like that since you first arrived. You also
claim to be a sensitive guy, but it appears to have taken
you several years to notice that I have problems with the
kind of fundamentally anti-woman constructs you routinely
throw out, and in the meantime you haven't been able to
figure out what it is that I'm personally touchy about.
Presumably a "sensitive person" should be able to pick up
that kind of thing, if for no other reason than a good-
guy desire to avoid causing distress in others.

Not that I've ever considered you particularly sensitive
to those around you. But still, the assertion that you
wouldn't ordinarily assign masculine traits to women you
don't like except under these most extraordinary circumstances
simply isn't supported by your history here.

FJ!!

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36F2804D...@emory.edu>,

You are not making sense. Are you saying that wondering why you decided
to have children is in appropriate.
FJ!!

"It's time to get over the concept of closure." -- Miss Manners

Jake Coughlin

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> writes:
> Melinda, I detest hyperaggressiveness.

which is what exactly?

> I detest having to put other
> people down to make yourself look / feel good. I detest the idea of
> always having to win, of always having to come out on top. I detest the
> "never show weakness, never back down, always get the last word"
> approach.

how do you know this is the root cause of your
characterization of Melinda's behavior here? as
long as i've read her, her articles are almost always
rooted in useful, relevant information about the issues
in question.

> If it's the way YOU need to interact with the world, [...]

oh, come on now, either take a stance or not. either there's
an "if" starting that sentence or there isn't.

--Jake Coughlin (ja...@panix.com)--
"My mother always says, `Two heads are better than one.' Isn't that
the Borg philosophy too?" -- some kid to Seven of Nine

Lorna Brown

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Richard Jasper (lib...@emory.edu) wrote:

: > Then why do you persist in doing it?

: Are you suggesting that I do all those things or just some of those things?

: I think you could make a reasonable argument that I'm definitely in the

: "never back down, always get the last word" mode at the moment but the rest

: of it is just laughable, Robert.

er no Robert is right on the money in my opinion...

it seems to me that *any* exchange with you is downwardly mobile and if
Melinda would stop responding to you I would killfile you in a flash

it is a dilemma

corry

Beth Linker

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <Pine.GSO.4.05.990319...@paladin.cc.emory.edu> Gwendolyn Alden Dean wrote:

: On the other hand, it's an image I rather like. Would
: melon-sized-cojones-epaulets work with a chiffon miniskirt or would I need
: to go knee-length? I assume the Jeff Stryker dildo comes in scarlet or
: black?

Well, the Jeff Stryker dildo is pretty big, so the short skirt might
accentuate its size. I'm not sure about chiffon, black leather might be
better but I'm not nearly fabulous enough to give you fashion advice.

-Beth, wondering what kind of hat one wears with an outfit like that

--
Beth Linker
Cambridge, MA

Clayton Colwell

Lorna Brown

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Beth Linker (bsli...@unix.amherst.edu) wrote:

: : On the other hand, it's an image I rather like. Would
: : melon-sized-cojones-epaulets work with a chiffon miniskirt or would I need
: : to go knee-length? I assume the Jeff Stryker dildo comes in scarlet or
: : black?

: Well, the Jeff Stryker dildo is pretty big, so the short skirt might
: accentuate its size. I'm not sure about chiffon, black leather might be
: better but I'm not nearly fabulous enough to give you fashion advice.

: -Beth, wondering what kind of hat one wears with an outfit like that

Gilded melon-sized-cojones-epaulets, black leather motorcycle jacket,
turquoise chiffon miniskirt, net stockings, black Jeff Stryker dildo,
don't fuck with me high heeled pumps, hhmm I'd say a turquoise chiffon
Mini Mouse bow would coordinate nicely.

Reminds me of my X gf, who liked to do cheap-slut! drag to amuse me, but
you'd have to die your hair black.

I went to a lecture last night by someone who tried (unsuccessfully) to
resurrect Toulouse Latrec as a feminist political activist (Geeze!), I
thought of MeanMary.

corry

Daniel Chase Edmonds

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Gwendolyn Alden Dean (gd...@emory.edu) wrote:

: On the other hand, it's an image I rather like. Would
: melon-sized-cojones-epaulets work with a chiffon miniskirt or would I need
: to go knee-length? I assume the Jeff Stryker dildo comes in scarlet or
: black?

My dear, with your fashion sense, you will make the right decision.

And I'm fairly certain that we can find a *wide* variety of colors
for the dildo.

Variety in accessories is important.

Greg Havican

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <7cua48$mi9$1...@paladin.cc.emory.edu>, ded...@emory.edu
says...

And if you can't, ship it to FJ!! and I'm sure he'll fix it right up
for you.

--
Greg

Greg Havican |
----------------|----------------------------------
g...@havican.com | http://www.havican.com

"I don't know about you, but I see many differences between snot
and shit." -- Greg P.

"I think one's sensitivity to that distinction depends on
where one is accustomed to keeping one's nose." -- Melinda S.

FJ!!

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <glp-190399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:

>(Greg Havican) wrote:
>> And if you can't, ship it to FJ!! and I'm sure he'll fix it right up
>> for you.
>
>A PHKD. wow.

Jeff and I would have to find a way to shrinkwrap it in an acrylic coating -
after all, you'd want it to be easily cleanable.

But it is *so* derivative of cany-pink dildo's.

Gromit

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <7ctlqd$p1a$1...@panix2.panix.com>, sh...@panix.com (Melinda
Shore) wrote:

> In article <36F2557B...@emory.edu>,

> Richard Jasper <lib...@emory.edu> wrote:
> >"Let"?
>
> Richard, if you really don't want people to laugh at you,
> you should probably avoid posting anything that even
> remotely touches on women's issues. If you feel you must
> post something that relates to women, learn to be
> comfortable with people's perceptions of you as a clumsy
> poseur failed nice-guy-wannabe.
>

> You and I both *earned* our reputations.

So get a room, already.

Gromit

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <MPG.115c7aab6...@news.shore.net>, g...@havican.com
(Greg Havican) wrote:

> In article <7cua48$mi9$1...@paladin.cc.emory.edu>, ded...@emory.edu
> says...
> > Gwendolyn Alden Dean (gd...@emory.edu) wrote:
> >
> > : On the other hand, it's an image I rather like. Would
> > : melon-sized-cojones-epaulets work with a chiffon miniskirt or would I need
> > : to go knee-length? I assume the Jeff Stryker dildo comes in scarlet or
> > : black?
> >
> > My dear, with your fashion sense, you will make the right decision.
> >
> > And I'm fairly certain that we can find a *wide* variety of colors
> > for the dildo.

Mike McManus

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Ellen Evans wrote:

> In article <glp-180399...@glp.dialup.access.net>,
> Gromit <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> []
> >People vomit from their mouths. How could you possibly kiss
> >that filthy hole?
>
> Analzye This:
>
> Billy Crystal asks Robert DeNiro why he has a mistress if his
> relationship is okay with his wife. Robert DeNiro says there are
> things the mistress can do that his wife shouldn't. Crystal asks
> what. That's the mouth that she kisses my children with, DeNiro
> answers.

Of course, Gary and I were just cracking up over that line when we
went to see the movie. I thought to post it earlier, but didn't, and
I'm glad you have.

BTW, it occurred to me that it might be interesting to see what
Babelfish would do with this thread title. I've changed it to the
German version.

Here are the results I got by translating back and forth in German,
French, Italian, and Spanish:

German: "Cologne queen" (not bad!)
French: "Queen of Cologne" (what I was expecting)
Italian: "Regina De Colony" (got confused with the name Regina?)
Spanish: "Queen of Colony" (huh?)

I think the reason German worked where the other languages didn't is
that German, like English, makes the distinction between "Cologne
queen" and "Queen of Cologne" (I tried it, it came out "Königin von
Köln") and the other languages don't. (But Italian did better with
"Queen of Cologne", which came back "Queen of Colony".)
--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Mike McManus _/ home: mmcm...@frontiernet.net _/

DRS

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Melinda Shore wrote in message <7ctsnv$4ad$1...@panix2.panix.com>...

[...]

:Whatever. But what kind of messages are your kids learning

:from you? What if your daughter turns out to be smart?

:Opinionated? Analytical? Through the entire time you've

:been here you've consistently devalued these qualities, and
:you've said that women who show these traits have an
:overabundance of testosterone, wear strap-on dildos, and/
:or have actual penises. What kind of lessons do you think

:that your daughter is learning from you? What about your

:son - do you think he's going to respect bright, aggressive
:women? Or is he going to grow up, become a parent, and
:continue passing on the garbage he learned from you?

You go way beyond opinionated and analytical into perverse.

Moreover, it's way past time you lost this ludicrous notion that aggression
in anybody is a good thing, much less to be respected. You *desperately*
need to learn the diference between aggression and assertion.

--

Beware of the Spam-Dog

John F. Eldredge

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
On 18 Mar 99 15:16:39 GMT, er...@bga.com (Clayton Colwell) wrote:

>Brad Macdonald (br...@columbia.edu) wrote:
>: On 17 Mar 1999, Melinda Shore wrote:
>
>: I recently heard from a male flight attendent of many years
>: that the worst part of his job is smelly feet, the tendency
>: of passengers to take off their shoes after boarding.
>
>Either these passengers are real swampfeet, or this guy's
>duty roster makes him perform some *really* unorthodox tasks.

On an airplane, most of the people who were going to take their shoes
off would probably do so about the same time, once the plane moved
away from the terminal (doing it as other people are still boarding
would mean risking having your toes stepped on). This means that you
would get all of the foot-stink at one time. Depending upon the
air-flow patterns in the cabin, the flight attendants' duty stations
might well be downwind of the passengers.

I once owned a pair of shoes which I had to throw away because they
stunk so badly. The leather apparently hadn't been cured properly,
so, once my feet got sweaty, the shoes smelled like rotting meat.

On the subject of people using too much cologne or perfume, some
people have a sensitive sense of smell, others a weak sense of smell,
and a few people can't smell anything at all. I once knew one of the
latter, who had to be reminded by his friends to shower and use
deodorant.
--
John F. Eldredge -- eldr...@poboxes.com
PGP key available from http://www.netforward.com/poboxes/?eldredge/

Michael Timberwoof Roeder

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
In article <*argh*dsb7364-ya0240800...@nntp.isc.rit.edu>,
*argh*dsb7364@*argh*rit.edu (david s. broudy) wrote:

> In article <36F2FCE3...@frontiernet.net>, mmcm...@frontiernet.net
wrote:

> - BTW, it occurred to me that it might be interesting to see what
> - Babelfish would do with this thread title. I've changed it to the
> - German version.
>
> Getting ready for that Heidelberg acquisition eh?
>
> D there's just something *wrong* about that B.
>
> . . . . . . will that be one lump, or two? . . . . . .

Cologne as in eau de would be Köllnischwasser. (4711 is the genuine kind,
so named because that was the number that Napoleon's bureaucrats gave the
house where it was made. It smells like my grandfather. : )

--
Michael Roeder; mroeder at best dot com; http://www.best.com/~mroeder
Ice Hockey QA Engineer (Goalie), 1998 BMW R1100GS rider,

Kathryn L. Schmitz

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
In article <mroederNoSpam-2...@192.168.1.2>,

Michael "Timberwoof" Roeder <mroede...@bestNoSpam.com> wrote:

>Cologne as in eau de would be Köllnischwasser. (4711 is the genuine kind,
>so named because that was the number that Napoleon's bureaucrats gave the
>house where it was made. It smells like my grandfather. : )

What a fascinating factoid for me to read. I grew up with 4711, which
was probably the first fragrance I was conscious of and which my
mother still wears. I don't have a bottle myself, but my sweetie
does, and it's really a nice cologne, especially when purchased in
der Vaterland fresh.

Katie

Gromit

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
In article <36f83730....@news.earthlink.net>, eldr...@poboxes.com
(John F. Eldredge) wrote:

[...]

> I once owned a pair of shoes which I had to throw away because they
> stunk so badly. The leather apparently hadn't been cured properly,
> so, once my feet got sweaty, the shoes smelled like rotting meat.

This has happened to me even with good shoes. The solution was
to get one of those "shoe deodorant" sprays and spray the inside
of the shoes as soon as I took them off. Let the shoes dry
thoroughly - this can take a couple of days for some of my
shoes, since they're large and it takes a while for them to dry
all the way to the toes. Don't put shoetrees in them until
they're dry or use unlacquered trees, and spray them again right
before you put them on. Never wear shoes that are damp, and
never put finished shoetrees into damp shoes (mold!)

It was like a "shoe infection" which needed medication to clear
up. Once that happened, they were fine.

Mike McManus

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
david s. broudy wrote:

> In article <36F2FCE3...@frontiernet.net>, mmcm...@frontiernet.net wrote:
>
> - BTW, it occurred to me that it might be interesting to see what
> - Babelfish would do with this thread title. I've changed it to the
> - German version.
>
> Getting ready for that Heidelberg acquisition eh?

Oh, we've all been practicing our fractured German for the occasion.
I've been using the line from that FedEx (or was it UPS?) ad a
couple of years ago, "Mein Geltfisch ist gestoppen" (My goldfish
died ;-). But we've also been cleaning up a few things -- one of the
other admins decided it would be wise to rename some of his security
scripts named "nazi" to something less offensive. ;-)

For those who haven't heard, the division of Kodak that I work in
has just been acquired by Heidelberger Druckmaschinen of Germany,
which makes Heidelberg printing presses. I expect to be offered a
position with the wholly-owned subsidiary, Heidelberg Digital, which
is to be a US company headquartered here in Rochester. Other parts
of the division are to be merged with the existing joint venture
between Kodak and Heidelberg, known as NexPress.

> D there's just something *wrong* about that B.

I don't see too much of a problem with it. We have been moving away
from making actual copiers and concentrating on high volume printers
and the software that drives them, so a printing-press manufacturer
might be an appropriate parent company. We also have a fairly
substantial engineering and manufacturing facility in Germany
already.

Mike McManus

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Michael Timberwoof Roeder wrote:

> Cologne as in eau de would be Köllnischwasser. (4711 is the genuine
> kind, so named because that was the number that Napoleon's bureaucrats
> gave the house where it was made. It smells like my grandfather. : )

Now that would be a jawbreaker: KöllnischwasserKönigin. ;-)

Lorna Brown

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Kathryn L. Schmitz (kls...@osfmail.isc.rit.edu) wrote:
: In article <mroederNoSpam-2...@192.168.1.2>,

: Michael "Timberwoof" Roeder <mroede...@bestNoSpam.com> wrote:
: >
: >Cologne as in eau de would be Köllnischwasser. (4711 is the genuine kind,
: >so named because that was the number that Napoleon's bureaucrats gave the
: >house where it was made. It smells like my grandfather. : )

: What a fascinating factoid for me to read. I grew up with 4711, which

: was probably the first fragrance I was conscious of and which my
: mother still wears. I don't have a bottle myself, but my sweetie
: does, and it's really a nice cologne, especially when purchased in
: der Vaterland fresh.

My mom too and the mints that kicked around in the bottom of her purse
and which she would occasionally pop into my mouth to shut me up were
flavoured with it.

corry

Gromit

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
In article <7d0qja$rqd$1...@ambach.macc.wisc.edu>, ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu
(Jess Anderson) wrote:

> Mike McManus:

> >Michael Timberwoof Roeder wrote:
>
> >>Cologne as in eau de would be Köllnischwasser. (4711 is the genuine
> >>kind, so named because that was the number that Napoleon's bureaucrats
> >>gave the house where it was made. It smells like my grandfather. : )
>

> >Now that would be a jawbreaker: KöllnischwasserKönigin. ;-)
>

> I suppose someone should point out there's only one "l" in
> Kölnischwasser. Actually, I thought it was two words, not one:
> Kölnisches Wasser. I wore 4711 for a while many years ago. Now
> the only one I use is Chanel "Pour Monsieur" and *very* little
> of it.

The cologne is *much* nicer than the eau de toilette.

David W. Fenton

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
: FJ!! wrote:
:
: > Why do you consider that decision so sacred that it cannote be examined?
:
: It's not remotely sacred. Moreover, if soc.motss REALLY gave two figs about
: ideas like "community" or "appropriate behavior" it wouldn't be necessary.

Richard, what you're doing looks to me like destroying the village in order
to save it.

I've never understood the concept of Klingon-style "honor," where any
challenge must be answered. You seem to think any bad thing said about you
must be met with some kind of response.

It needn't.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

David W. Fenton

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Greg Havican (g...@havican.com) wrote:
: In article <7cua48$mi9$1...@paladin.cc.emory.edu>, ded...@emory.edu
: says...
: > Gwendolyn Alden Dean (gd...@emory.edu) wrote:
: >
: > : On the other hand, it's an image I rather like. Would
: > : melon-sized-cojones-epaulets work with a chiffon miniskirt or would I need
: > : to go knee-length? I assume the Jeff Stryker dildo comes in scarlet or
: > : black?
: >
: > My dear, with your fashion sense, you will make the right decision.
: >
: > And I'm fairly certain that we can find a *wide* variety of colors
: > for the dildo.
:
: And if you can't, ship it to FJ!! and I'm sure he'll fix it right up
: for you.

I'm picturing a Jeff Stryker dildo with pink fur.

*shudder*

Gromit

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
In article <l3VI2.2179$256....@news20.ispnews.com>, dXXXf...@bway.net
(David W. Fenton) wrote:

> Greg Havican (g...@havican.com) wrote:
> : In article <7cua48$mi9$1...@paladin.cc.emory.edu>, ded...@emory.edu
> : says...
> : > Gwendolyn Alden Dean (gd...@emory.edu) wrote:
> : >
> : > : On the other hand, it's an image I rather like. Would
> : > : melon-sized-cojones-epaulets work with a chiffon miniskirt or
would I need
> : > : to go knee-length? I assume the Jeff Stryker dildo comes in scarlet or
> : > : black?
> : >
> : > My dear, with your fashion sense, you will make the right decision.
> : >
> : > And I'm fairly certain that we can find a *wide* variety of colors
> : > for the dildo.
> :
> : And if you can't, ship it to FJ!! and I'm sure he'll fix it right up
> : for you.
>
> I'm picturing a Jeff Stryker dildo with pink fur.

Dark pink and/or red are not good colors for large dildos.

Linda Yanney

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, David W. Fenton wrote:

> I'm picturing a Jeff Stryker dildo with pink fur.

Oh, how clever, a dildo with Merkin!

lj

Fritz Rathmann

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Mike McManus wrote:

> BTW, it occurred to me that it might be interesting to see what

> Babelfish would do with this thread title. I've changed it to the

> German version.
>
> Here are the results I got by translating back and forth in German,
> French, Italian, and Spanish:
>
> German: "Cologne queen" (not bad!)
> French: "Queen of Cologne" (what I was expecting)
> Italian: "Regina De Colony" (got confused with the name Regina?)
> Spanish: "Queen of Colony" (huh?)
>
> I think the reason German worked where the other languages didn't is
>
> that German, like English, makes the distinction between "Cologne
> queen" and "Queen of Cologne" (I tried it, it came out "Königin von
> Köln") and the other languages don't. (But Italian did better with
> "Queen of Cologne", which came back "Queen of Colony".)

Don't mean to be picky here, at all, but I'm curious. I haven't heard
Germans use Königen in this sense. Of course, my experience is
limited, and I could easily be misreading the sense of the word in the
thread. What would Babelfish would do with "kölne Tunte" or "die Tunte
von Köln"? A friend of mine in graduate school, who was from Spain,
said at home he was known as "la maruja de Sevilla". I gathered from
him the word "maruja" was used similarly to "queen" here, but I could
be misremembering here. Don't even know if I'm spelling it correctly.
We weren't in the most sober state of mind when he told me this. Any
other languages have words other than translations for queen for this
sense of the word? BTW; for someone who is obviously uninformed <g>,
where is Babelfish located?

Fritz

Richard Jasper

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

Gromit wrote:

> Dark pink and/or red are not good colors for large dildos.

It may be obvious to everyone else but why not?

-- rpj

Richard Jasper

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

"David W. Fenton" wrote:

> I've never understood the concept of Klingon-style "honor," where any
> challenge must be answered. You seem to think any bad thing said about you
> must be met with some kind of response.
>
> It needn't.

That's a good point and it's one I've been working on. Seriously! I
*have* *been* *working* on it!

Just FYI, I really don't think it has anything to do with honor, in my
case. I think it has to do with an altogether different set of feelings,
which have been described at length previously.

-- rpj

DRS

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
Greg Havican wrote in message ...
:In article <7cua48$mi9$1...@paladin.cc.emory.edu>, ded...@emory.edu

:says...
:> Gwendolyn Alden Dean (gd...@emory.edu) wrote:
:>
:> : On the other hand, it's an image I rather like. Would
:> : melon-sized-cojones-epaulets work with a chiffon miniskirt or would I
need
:> : to go knee-length? I assume the Jeff Stryker dildo comes in scarlet or
:> : black?
:>
:> My dear, with your fashion sense, you will make the right decision.
:>
:> And I'm fairly certain that we can find a *wide* variety of colors
:> for the dildo.
:
:And if you can't, ship it to FJ!! and I'm sure he'll fix it right up
:for you.

But then it'll come back red and fluffy.

Mike McManus

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
Fritz Rathmann wrote:
> BTW; for someone who is obviously uninformed <g>,
> where is Babelfish located?

http://babelfish.altavista.com/cgi-bin/translate?

Hope this helps.

Gromit

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
In article <36F44A78...@emory.edu>, Richard Jasper
<lib...@emory.edu> wrote:

Blood.

Stephanie Smith

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
In article <36F0671A...@pei.sympatico.ca>, Leith Chu
<Isla...@pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On Canadian Airlines, I've received pretzels, cookies, snack mix,
> and various hot and cold meals in Steerage

I've managed to eat the meal from first class (when they had first
class) a few times, but that's because the flight attendant was
trying to pick me up.

--
Stephanie Smith ------------------------- mspo...@mtcc.com
"It just goes to show: travel's the thing." - Candide

John Dorrance

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
Richard Jasper wrote:

> Inasmuch as he's surrounded by
> thoroughly bright, thoroughly loving people, male and female,

Nothing but the best for you and your boy!

--

John Dorrance Madison, WI jo...@chorus.net

"I'm no fucking Bhuhddhishth, but this is enlightenment." -- Bjork

John Dorrance

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
Richard Jasper wrote:

> I detest having to put other
> people down to make yourself look / feel good.

Really?

> I detest it because I was the victim of it. I detest it because it was
> something held up to ME as something *I* should do.

Ya done good, son.

John Dorrance

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
Richard Jasper wrote:

> <takes bait, dammit>My daughter is already smart, opinionated and
> analytical, thank you. As is her dad.

> She's not, however, an unfeeling asshole, and she doesn't go around with
> a humongous chip on her shoulder.

As is not her dad.

It is loading more messages.