Book about Napoleon?

Jay L

Jul 25, 2009, 12:33:58 PM7/25/09
Hello,

As a history buff, I find myself lacking in certain parts of European
history, notably the history of France during the reign of Napoleon.

Can anyone please recommend a good basic book, not an encyclopedia and
not 16 volumes, about Napoleon? Please bear in mind that I read and
like history, so it doesn't need to be a "Napoleon for Idiots" book,
but I am far from conversant in the history of France immediately
following the revolution.

Thanks for any assistance,

Jay

Stephen Graham

Jul 25, 2009, 1:28:54 PM7/25/09

It covers a bit more than just the Napoleonic period, but I was
reasonably pleased with Francois Furet's _Revolutionary France: 1770-1880_.