Fraudulent Lineages

U...@aol.com

Jan 1, 2001, 10:43:14 AM1/1/01
FRAUDULENT LINEAGES

The following information was compiled by Mr. Robert Charles Anderson, CG,
FASG of 2 Fenway, Derry, NH 03038, and published in Volume 19, Numbers 1 & 2,
1991 of the Genealogical Journal of the Utah Genealogical Association, PO Box
1144, Salt Lake, Utah 84110. The title of the article is; We Wuz Robbed!

Mr. Anderson is the Director of the Great Migration Study Project sponsored
by the New England Historic Genealogical Society. He is a Certified
Genealogist, a fellow of the American Society of Genealogists, a fellow of
the Utah Genealogical Association, and has published numerous articles in The
New England Historical and Genealogical Register, The American Genealogist,
the National Genealogical Society Quarterly, and The Genealogist, as well as
the Genealogical Journal.

Professional genealogists and serious researchers alike, have been aware of
the forgeries and frauds committed by GUSTAVE ANJOU (1863-1942) and we of
this Society believe this material should be brought to the attention of all
who may come in contact with any the publications listed below.

The sad fact is that Gustave Anjou was not a genealogist, but a forger of
genealogical records that have been passed on for years to unwary clients and
then through researchers who believed, or wanted to believe, they had a true
lineage. They in turn republished the material in their own works and the
cycle continues even today.

Gustave Anjou produced these "genealogies" for wealthy clients at a price of
around $9,000 and the client. needless to say, always received what they
wanted.

In the words of Mr. Anderson;

" A typical Anjou pedigree displays four recognizable features:

1. A dazzling range of connections between dozens of immigrants to New
England; for example, connections far beyond what may be seen in pedigrees
produced by anyone else:

2. Many wild geographical leaps, outside the normal range of migration
patterns;

3. An overwhelming number of citations to documents that actually exist, and
actually include what Anjou says they include; and

4. Here and there an invented document, without citation, which appears to
support the many connections noted under item I above".

The above mentioned publication is one that belongs in your genealogy
library. I urge you all to read the detailed account of this article and the
five other genealogy fraud articles that appear with it. Included is another
detailed article about Gustave Anjou's life and forgery methods, entitled
Gustave, We Hardly Knew Ye: by Gordon L. Remington, editor of the
Genealogical Journal.

Please do not contact the Society in regards to copies of these articles. We
will honor existing copyright laws owned by the publisher and do not
distribute copies of their work.

We owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Anderson for bringing these facts to our
attention and also to the Genealogical Journal for their courage by
publishing the material.

The article further states;

"The following 109 "genealogies" are found at the Family History Library in
Salt Lake City, Utah. All but those marked with an asterisk are cataloged
under Gustave Anjou, H. Anjou, or M. Anjou in the Author-Title Catalog. Only
three of the "genealogies" were actually printed, the works on the FREEMAN,
BLAISDELL, and SHAPLEIGH families -and only the FREEMAN was actually
published by Anjou- the other two were later publishings of his original
typescript.

Anjou's genealogy on the TONE family was later incorporated into Dr. Frank
Jerome Tone's History of the Tone Family (Niagara Falls, NY: the author,
1944) FHL 929.173 T612t, which is not included in this list. The unprinted
genealogies were all bound typescripts or carbons of the original, and even
the unsigned ones are recognizable as being Anjou's creations-invariably
beginning with a history of the surname. Since four of Anjou's works were
found by looking at films that contained catalogues references, there may be
others lurking somewhere in the collection."

In continuation;

"Six of the catalog entries under Anjou's name, however, are to what appear
to be extracts of documents or original source material not organized or
typed us as formal "genealogies." These entries are marked with a !. Whether
or not they can be really be attributed to Anjou is not known. Excluding them
leaves 103 compiled "genealogies" by Anjou in the Family History Library. In
1927 Anjou published a catalogue of 192 "genealogies", leaving 89
"genealogies" unaccounted for by this list."

The numbers given after the title are the call numbers at the Family History
Library.

!The ANDREWS Family 929.273 A1 #688
The BACKUS Family 929.273 B128a
The BACON Family FHL #908083 item 7
BEACH Family FHL #908083 item 9
The BELL Family FHL #908833 item 4
BLAISDELL Family Manuscript 929.242 Al no. 25
Histore de la famille BLOEDEL 929.273 B6214a
The BRAMAN Family 929.273 B7311a
BROOKING (Broquin) Family 929.273 B79132a
The BUCKNER Family 929.273 B857a

CALDWELL Family 929.273 C 127an
History of the CARR Family of Scotland, England and the United States Part 1:
Scotland and the United States 929.273 C23a,
CARROLL Family FHL #908510 item 11
CARUTHERS Family 929.273 C2372a
CARTER Families FHL #897418 item 22
The CHALFONT Family 929.273 C35a
CHAPLIN Family FHL #908086 item 9
The CHILD Family 929.273 C436a
CHURCH Family 929.273 A1 no. 544
The CHURCH Family from 1202 FHL #389396

CHURCH, the English Ancestry of Richard Church of Hartford FHL #000 182 item
1 CLEMENT Family 929.273 C59171a
The CLISE Family 929.273 C619a
COCHRAN Family 929.273 C643a
COOK Families FHL #90813 6 item 5
History of the COPLEY Family of England with Ancestry of Thomas Copley,
Shelbrook, Yorkshire, Northampton, MA 929.273 C791an
History of the COPLEY Family of England with Ancestry of Thomas Copley,
Shelbrook, Yorkshire, Northampton, MA Revised Edition 929.273 C791 a
CORBIE Family 929.273 C8 1 a
CORLIEZ Family 929.273 C81342a
CORRY Family FHL #1651933 item 12

CRAWFORD Family 929.273 C856a
CUNNINGHAM Family 929.241 C917a
The DANIEL Family 929.273 D22 1a
De RONDE Family 929.273 R667a
DEVECMAN Family 929.273 A1 no. 542
DICKEY Family FHL #924400 item 4
The DORNAN History 929.273 D7345 1 a
DOTY Family 929.273 A1 no. 543
DU PONT Family FHL #908504 item 1
DUNCAN Family 929.273 D912a

ERICKSON Family 929.273 A1 no. 551
FICKEN Family 929.273 F446a
The FISH (FISK) Family FHL #908219
FLANDERS Family 929.273 F613a
Early History of the FREEMAN Family; of Surrey, England, and New Jersey,
Michigan, North Carolina, and California in the United States FHL #1033558
item 9
GALWAY Family (GALLAWAY, GALLOWAY) FHL #908219 item 9
! GILL Family FHL #908504 item 10
The HOLLIDAY, HALLIDAY Family 929.273 Al no. 545
The HULBERT Family, 1305- {I 8841; with the Ancestry of Walter HULBORD,
Thomas HULBERT, William HURLBERT, and their Connections with Early Immigrants
to the New World: Connections with Samuel BENNETT in James 1635 to Lynn, MA.,
the HYDE, HURD, PARTRIDGE, HARDY and Other Families/Henry Carlton HURLBERT,
Descandant of Thomas HULBERT of Saybrook, CT and Wethersfield 929.273 A1 no.
540
The HULL History: Containing the Ancestry of Richard HULL of Dorchester, 1634
929.273 H877a

HUNGERFORD Family 929.273 A1 no. 548
The Jack Family (JACQUES, JAMES) 929.273 J12a
The JOHNSON Family 929.273 J63an
The JOHNSON Family 929.273 J63ab
JONES Genealogy, A Welsh Family 929.273 J71a
KENNETT Family 929.273 K393a
KLAUS (Claus) Family 929.273 K668a
! LANE Family Extracts from Suffolk Probate Record FHL #908071 item 7
LEE Family 929.273 Al no. 549
The LENMAN Family (LEMAN, LANHAM, LENHAM) 929.273 L547a

The Lewis History; Containing Also the History of Various American Families
FHL #908006 item 1 The LILLY Family: LILLIE, LILLE, LILLI, and LILLY: A
Complete History of the Lillie, Lille, Lilli and Lilly Families from Sweden
to France to America, 1291-1898 929.273 L628an
! LINCOLN Family 929.273 no. 550
MARK Family 929.273 M34a
The MARSHALL Family 929.273 M355a
The McVICKAR History FHL #908006 item 4
MONS (MANTZ) Family 929.273 M758a MOORE Family 929.273 M78 1 a
The NICHOLSON Family 929.273 N52a
ORD Family 929.273 Or2a

ORMOND Family 929.273 Or45a
PARSON Family Records 929.273 P25 I a
The PULLMAN Family 929.273 P967a
REDBURN Family 929.273 R246a
History of the RICHARDSON Family Q929.273 Al no. 24
ROBINSON Family 929.273 Al no. 556
ROBINSON Family: Genealogical History of the Robinson Family from John
Robyson of England in 1374, to Henry and Richard Robinson of Maryland in
1650, to John Robinson of Delaware in 1698, to John M. Robinson, 1878 929.273
Al no. 556 Rev. Ed;
ROCKWELL Family 929.273 Al no. 546
ROGER Family FHL #9085 10 item 12
The ROSS Family 929.273 R733a

RUNK-RUNCK Family 929.273 R874r
RUSSEL Family 929.273 R91 I a
History of a German Family: the SCHNEIDER Family of Friesland, 1492 A.D. etc.
with the Ancestry of Various American Immigrants 929.273 Sch58a
SEAMAN Family 929.273 Sel6a
SHAPLEIGH Family 929.273 SH64ag
The SPROULL Family from 1283 A.D.: with Ancestry of, e.g., Governor W.C.
Sproull of Pennsylvania. Also the Affiliated Families; CLARK, with the
Ancestry of Sen. W.C. Clark, MURE, PATTERSON,
CARRUTHERS, etc. 929.273 Sp87a
STONE Family 929.273 St72a
! STOWELL Family FHL #90854 item 12
SWIFT Family 929.273 Sw54a
! THAXTER Family FHL #908504 item 11

THOMPSON Families 929.273 T371an
The TILNEY Family 929.273 T468a
The TONE Family 929.273 T612a
TOPPING Family FHL #924086 item 4
The TRAYLOUR Family (TRAYLOR) 929.273 T699a
TURNER Family FHL #924400
The von HORN Family 929.273 H783a
WALLEY and other Families 929.273 Al no. 599
WARD Family FHL #908504 item 3
WATERBURY Family FHL #908504 item 5

The WELD Family (WELLS, WELLES, WILLIS), 1066 A.D.-ca. 1910; and WILDS FHL
#928025 item 2
WELLING Family FHL #908504 item 2
WHEELER Family FHL #908834 item 6
The WHITMAN Family 929.273 A1 no. 582
WILSON Family 929.273 W691c
WITHERSPOON Family 929.273 A1 no. 558
WOLFF Family, ca. 760 A.D.- 1916 929.273 W832a
WOOLEY History 929.273 W888a The WORCESTER Family 929.273 Al no. 557

ATTENTION RESEARCHERS
If you or you know of anyone researching any of the above lines, you are
going to have serious problems with your lineage somewhere when you run into
a brick wall you can not scale. Not only will the above mentioned
"genealogies" steer you into uncharted waters but any other genealogies that
followed later and have used this material for their source. Any of your
sources that trace back to anything compiled by Gustave Anjou will prove
suspect.

Always optimistic--Dave

Francisco Antonio Doria

Jan 1, 2001, 12:26:39 PM1/1/01

The Portuguese and Brazilian Gustave Anjou used the alias Dom Tivisco de
Nasáo Zarco y Colonna. His true name was Manuel de Carvalho Athayde,
father of Sebastião José de Carvalho e Mello, marquess of Pombal.

His forgerieshave derailed many a pedigree.

chico

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 12:30:42 PM1/1/01
We really need a book on all these guys.

Nat Taylor said, once upon a time, that he might write one.

I hope he does. It would sell.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Demagogues, popularizers, prostitutes and charlatans give people what
they want. Statesmen, educators, friends and lovers give them what
they need." DSH, 31 August 1999

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"Francisco Antonio Doria" <fad...@terra.com.br> wrote in message

Gryphon801

Jan 1, 2001, 12:45:40 PM1/1/01
This is the first time that I have heard that Gustave Anjou was Portuguese in
origin. Gordon L. Remington, in an article in _Genealogical Journal_ 19:59-76
(1991), shows that he was one Gustav Ludvig Ljungberg, a bastard born 1
December 1863 in Katarina Parish, Stockholm. He married Anna Maria Anjou and
took his wife's surname as his own. Of course his frauds still deceive many,
but I think Chico will be relieved to know that his ancestry was not Portuguese
but Swedish. The article contains further particulars of Anjou's family and
his genealogical frauds. I agree that a book on genealogical frauds would be
worthwhile.

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 1:01:48 PM1/1/01
Someone here on SGM, quite some time ago, indicated that Gustave Anjou
was Jewish.

I've not seen that documented, much less proven
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself." Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] "Summa Contra Gentiles"
[c.1258-1264]

"Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Odi profanum vulgus et arceo."

Quintus Aurelius Stultus [33 B.C. - 42 A.D.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"Gryphon801" <gryph...@aol.com> wrote in message

R. Battle

Jan 1, 2001, 1:20:13 PM1/1/01

Are we sure that he didn't forge his birth record? ;-) Seriously, I think
that what Chico was saying (he can speak for himself, of course) was that
Anjou had a counterpart in the field of Portuguese and Brazilian genealogy
(not that they were the same person, or connected in any way other than
their involvement in disreputable genealogical practices).

-Robert Battle

Francisco Antonio Doria

Jan 1, 2001, 1:47:40 PM1/1/01
1/1/01 2:45 PM Gryphon801 remarked:

>This is the first time that I have heard that Gustave Anjou was Portuguese in
>origin.

Perhaps I confused things: I meant, our own version of Gustave Anjou, a
deliberate forger of pedigrees...

chico

Francisco Antonio Doria

Jan 1, 2001, 1:47:43 PM1/1/01
1/1/01 2:30 PM D. Spencer Hines remarked:

>We really need a book on all these guys.
>
>Nat Taylor said, once upon a time, that he might write one.
>
>I hope he does. It would sell.

I only know the ancient forgers. Another one: Gianpietro Crescenzi,
_Corona della Nobilità d'Italia_. Our National Library has a copy of the
first printing, 17th century.

chico

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 1:55:10 PM1/1/01
Indeed. Precisely. That's what Chico clearly wrote. Read the thread.

R2D2 has just proven, once again, [as if additional proof were required]
that he can't read for smersh ---- and with a Ph.D. from Columbia and a
law degree from Harvard to boot ---- so he says.

How would you like it if this fellow were defending you in court in a
serious lawsuit? Could he read, understand and interpret the documents
correctly? Would you bet your life on it, or your net worth?

Appalling.

Perhaps he's hung over from last night's celebrations as well. Drinking
cheap champagne again, I imagine ---- "Andre" no doubt.

Instructions To R2D2:

1. Bonehead English Course Required, Immediately.

2. Take Same ASAP. Attend same class as the goose, at Columbia
University, if you so desire.

3. Report Grade.

4. Await Further Instructions.

5. Do Not Post Again Until Cleared For Posting.

How Sweet It Is!
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself." Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] "Summa Contra Gentiles"
[c.1258-1264]

"Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Odi profanum vulgus et arceo."

Quintus Aurelius Stultus [33 B.C. - 42 A.D.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"R. Battle" <bat...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
.

Francisco Antonio Doria

Jan 1, 2001, 2:51:49 PM1/1/01
1/1/01 3:20 PM R. Battle remarked:

>Seriously, I think
>that what Chico was saying (he can speak for himself, of course) was that
>Anjou had a counterpart in the field of Portuguese and Brazilian genealogy
>(not that they were the same person, or connected in any way other than
>their involvement in disreputable genealogical practices).
>
>-Robert Battle

That's what I meant. In fact, Carvalho Athayde messed up several of our
local lines, and also several of Portuguese grandees.

chico

Grant Menzies

Jan 1, 2001, 2:50:59 PM1/1/01

Let's not forget the boy wonder, Thomas Chatterton.

Grant
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Grant Menzies
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 3:15:04 PM1/1/01
As I implied, it would make a GREAT book.

Two or three volumes, in fact. <g>

Followed by a Miniseries.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself." Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] "Summa Contra Gentiles"
[c.1258-1264]

"Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Odi profanum vulgus et arceo."

Quintus Aurelius Stultus [33 B.C. - 42 A.D.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"Grant Menzies" <scot...@europa.com> wrote in message

Gryphon801

Jan 1, 2001, 4:52:25 PM1/1/01
Shortly after I posted it occurred to me that Chico must have been talking
about one of his own forgers and not Anjou. It ought to have occurred to me
before I posted.

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 5:05:24 PM1/1/01
Vide infra pro risibus.

Yep.

Too late smart.

Bonehead English Course. ASAP.

Don't take any cases in the interim.

Report Grade.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself." Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] "Summa Contra Gentiles"
[c.1258-1264]

"Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Odi profanum vulgus et arceo."

Quintus Aurelius Stultus [33 B.C. - 42 A.D.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"Gryphon801" <gryph...@aol.com> wrote in message

Francisco Antonio Doria

Jan 1, 2001, 5:12:46 PM1/1/01
1/1/01 4:50 PM Grant Menzies remarked:

>Let's not forget the boy wonder, Thomas Chatterton.

Never heard. Can you elaborate?

Gryphon801

Jan 1, 2001, 5:24:56 PM1/1/01
Does DSH ever acknoledge possible error? Oh, well - the Deus Vulture is at it
again. If you can't get manners, at least get a life - or restrict your
yowlings to other newsgroups more used to your antics.

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 5:29:54 PM1/1/01
Hmmmmm.

R2D2 is as obtuse and as opaque as ever.

Apparently they don't teach spelling, logic or reading comprehension at
Harvard or Columbia either.
--

| Does DSH ever acknoledge [sic] possible error? Oh, well - the Deus

Francisco Antonio Doria

Jan 1, 2001, 5:29:18 PM1/1/01
1/1/01 4:50 PM Grant Menzies remarked:

>Let's not forget the boy wonder, Thomas Chatterton.

This happens all the time. About three years ago a pretty good
genealogist came to me with a newly discovered branch of the Mortemart
ducal family which had moved to Brazil in the late 19th century, or so he
said. He gave me a booklet that showed how those Mortemarts intermarried
with one of our ducal families and promised to give me more data.

Problems crept up immediately:

1 - The Gotha didn't mention that branch.

2 - None of them had `Victurnien' among his first names, a prefix so
typical of the Mortemarts.

3 - Dates didn't quite fit.

An expert, also a relation of the Brazilian ducal family produced the
duke's estate, with no mention to the Mortemart descent or kinship.

Then, incredibly, a birth certificate was produced - a 1996 transcript,
with all legal seals, stamps and rubber stamps - where it was said that a
little Brazilian Mortemart had been baptized with the late Emperor's
daughter as a godmother. That did it: we uncovered a network of forgers
through that obviously legal but untruthful document. (I mean, it had
been certified by the officer in charge of transcripts, but only
contained false data.)

This happens all the time.

chico

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 5:36:57 PM1/1/01
Hmmmmm.

Vide infra pro risibus.

Would you hire this man as a lawyer?

R2D2 is as obtuse and as opaque as ever.

Apparently they don't teach spelling, logic or reading comprehension at
Harvard or Columbia either.

Hmmmmmmm.

These Harvard boys just go berserk when you prove them wrong and then
they threaten to tear your lungs out, don't they.

Spineless Wonders.
--

| Fool! Have you ever acknowledged even the possibility that you might
be
| mistaken? Mr. Doria was not insulted -why should you be? And in any
case the
| topic was not posted to this newsgroup. There you go again. This is
the first
| and last time that I shall acknowledge your worthless existence
directly this
| year. Go pull your fuchsia underwear over your head, you jackass.

Portculis

Jan 1, 2001, 5:36:30 PM1/1/01
They certainly do not teach manners wherever you went to school, or you were
absent that day. Anyway, this is the only time that I shall waste an effort to
acknowledge your miserable efforts directly. For the rest of 2001 you will be
attacked, as usual, indirectly, or ignored.

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 5:48:53 PM1/1/01
Hmmmmmm.

This is another stupid pseudonym employed by the genealogist who
masquerades on SGM and SHM under the robotic pseudonym, "Gryphon801" as
well. I call him R2D2. It fits.

He's afraid to reveal his true identity. But Hines knows who he is.

He pulls down the "portculis" [sic] so we won't know who he is. Silly
Bugger.

He can't spell PORTCULLIS either. Silly Bugger.

Harvard graduate, Columbia graduate? Appalling.

He also claims to have a Ph.D. from Columbia and a law degree from
Harvard ---- but to be a "retired lawyer."

Let's hope so.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself." Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] "Summa Contra Gentiles"
[c.1258-1264]

"Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Odi profanum vulgus et arceo."

Quintus Aurelius Stultus [33 B.C. - 42 A.D.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"Portculis" <port...@aol.com> wrote in message

Gryphon801

Jan 1, 2001, 6:59:16 PM1/1/01
It is not I. but AOL, who cannot spell "portcullis". And it is you who are
the silly bugger. Ask anyone.

GRHa...@cs.com

Jan 1, 2001, 7:10:24 PM1/1/01
In a message dated 01/01/2001 5:18:33 PM Central Standard Time,
port...@aol.com writes:

> Subj: Re: Fraudulent Lineages
> Date: 01/01/2001 5:18:33 PM Central Standard Time
> From: port...@aol.com (Portculis)
> Sender: use...@rootsweb.com
> To: GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com

> They certainly do not teach manners wherever you went to school, or you
> were
> absent that day. Anyway, this is the only time that I shall waste an
effort
> acknowledge your miserable efforts directly. For the rest of 2001 you
will
> be
> attacked, as usual, indirectly, or ignored.

Who? Me? What did I do?

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 7:13:22 PM1/1/01
Trust R2D2 to try to blame his troubles on someone else.

Pathetic.

He is using the email address:

port...@aol.com

He is responsible for his own email address. He has spelled
"Portcullis" incorrectly. Silly Harvard Bugger

If he can't possibly spell it correctly because "portcullis" is already
taken, or too long, or for some other technical reason, he should dump
it and get a new email address.

Silly Harvard Bugger ---- unwilling to stand on his own two feet and
take responsibility for himself and his ruddy email address. People
like him and Larry Tribe and Alan Dershowitz are ruining the country.
<g>

How Sweet It Is!
--

| It is not I. [sic] but AOL, who cannot spell "portcullis". And it is

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 7:19:47 PM1/1/01
R2D2 admits to being a Phantom Attacker.

Vide infra.

He's too cowardly to reveal his name when he attacks ---- so he does it
anonymously.

Hilarious ---- and Pathetic.

Silly Harvard Bugger.

"Tear Your Lungs Out."
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself." Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] "Summa Contra Gentiles"
[c.1258-1264]

"Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Odi profanum vulgus et arceo."

Quintus Aurelius Stultus [33 B.C. - 42 A.D.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

Gryphon801

Jan 1, 2001, 11:19:45 PM1/1/01
Perhaps DHS has never tried to change a primary AOL address once he is stuck
with it. I have. Too much trouble. So I make no apology, particularly to
that jackass, that the word is misspelled.

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 1, 2001, 11:43:20 PM1/1/01
The Way In Life for some Harvard men of R2D2's ilk is _very_ hard.

Some things are just too hard for them ---- so they give up.

The fact that he is still with AOL should tell you a good deal about his
intelligence as well.
--

| Perhaps DHS [sic] has never tried to change a primary AOL address once

John Steele Gordon

Jan 2, 2001, 8:24:49 AM1/2/01

> 1/1/01 4:50 PM Grant Menzies remarked:
>
> >Let's not forget the boy wonder, Thomas Chatterton.
>
> Never heard. Can you elaborate?

Thomas Chatterton was one of the most remarkable characters in the history
of English literature. He was and early and important figure in the
so-called Gothic revival in English poetry, a precursor of the romantics
such as Shelley, Keats, and Byron . Most of his work, however, was presented
as the work of Thomas Rowley, a 15th century priest. It is to modern eyes
obviously a forgery (using words unknown in English in the 15th century, for
instance). He also cooked up numerous 15th-century documents.

But Chatterton, while a forger, was also a genius and his work had enormous
influence on the far better known names that came after him. Keats dedicated
"Endymion" to him, Shelley mentions him in "Adonais," Leoncavallo wrote an
opera about him.

Oh, and he committed suicide at the age of eighteen. Yes, eighteen. Not many
teenagers rate a full page and a half in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

JSG

Francisco Antonio Doria

Jan 2, 2001, 1:25:22 PM1/2/01
1/2/01 10:24 AM John Steele Gordon remarked:

>But Chatterton, while a forger, was also a genius and his work had enormous
>influence on the far better known names that came after him. Keats dedicated
>"Endymion" to him, Shelley mentions him in "Adonais," Leoncavallo wrote an
>opera about him.

Thanks, John, and sorry for my ignorance. And - I was wondering about
Ossian :)

chico

Nathaniel Taylor

Jan 2, 2001, 7:37:43 PM1/2/01
In article <BEk46.79203$nM5.12...@news02.optonline.net>, "John Steele
Gordon" <JSGGen...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

And who rote the play about him? Alfred de Vigny?

Nat Taylor

John Steele Gordon

Jan 3, 2001, 8:26:24 AM1/3/01

"Nathaniel Taylor" <nlt...@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message

Yes, according to EB, which says the play is "absurdly inaccurate" (a sort
of literary "Braveheart," I guess). Leoncavallo apparently used the play as
the basis of his opera. I've never heard note one of it. I'd have to check
to see if it's even been recorded.

JSG