Sarah Duchess of York and her Meynell ancestry

wjhonson

May 7, 2008, 9:17:31 PM5/7/08
In my continuing series on the additional medieval ancestry of Sarah,
we come to
Mary Meynell who Leo shows here
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00252240&tree=LEO

Mary was the eldest daughter of
Littleton Poyntz Meynell of Bradley by his wife Judith Alleyne
daughter of Thomas Alleyne esq of Barbados

Littleton was the son of
Godfrey Meynell, esq of Bradley; Sheriff in 1681 "eldest son" who died
1708
by his wife Elizabeth Littleton, daughter of Edward Littleton, esq

Godfrey was the "eldest son" of
Francis Meynell, esq; Sheriff and Alderman of London who purchased the
Manor of Bradley in 1655
by an unknown wife

At this point I'm unsure of something.
Some sources cite that Francis died in 1666 but there is a monument to
Francis who was buried 27 Oct 1698 at Bradley. Which makes me wonder
if there is a father and son who've gotten confused here.

At any rate, Francis the Sheriff and Alderman was the "third son" of
Godfrey Meynell of Willington ob 1667
by his wife Dorothy Whitehough daughter of John Whitehough of
Whitehough and Yeldersley

Godfrey Meynell was the son of Francis Meynell of Willington
by his wife Anne Smith, daughter of John Smith of co Leics and later
of Chillington

Francis Meynell was the son of John Meynell of Willington
by his wife Bridget Markham

John Meynell was the son of John Meynell of Wilington who died 29 Mar
4 Elizabeth
by his wife Maud Bradbourne daughter of Sir John Bradbourne of the
Haigh

John Meynell was the son of Henry Meynell of Willington "aet 36" in
1527 who died 11 Jan 1541

Will Johnson

wjhonson

May 7, 2008, 10:28:30 PM5/7/08
Query : Whether Judith (Alleyne) Meynell, wife of Littleton Poyntz
Meynell of Bradley is that same Judith Alleyne daughter of Thomas
Alleyne of Barbados by his wife Judith Thornhill.

Thomas and Judith's marriage instruments were drawn 30 Jun 1688 and in
his will Thomas specifically states that his daughter Judith would be
18 on 30 Jan 1721

Judith Alleyne married Littleton on 2 Jun 1720 at Bradley, Derbyshire
by extracted IGI entry (Batch M139111), which if this is the same
Judith would make her 17 when she married.

If this identification can be confirmed than Sarah would get several
more ancestors.

Will Johnson

wjhonson

May 7, 2008, 11:15:42 PM5/7/08
As regards Edward Littleton, the father of Elizabeth (Littleton)
Meynell, wife of Godfrey, he is apparently the one who has a DNB
entry.

This entry states that he was born in 1626, went to Barbados in 1666,
married there "three years later" to a "wealthy lady". And that he
was the son of Adam Littleton by his wife Ethelreda Poyntz. We
already know that "Audrey" is a common-form of the name Ethelreda.

Now speaking extemporanously, Adam and Audrey had an elder son Thomas
Poyntz Littleton, 2nd Bart who m his cousin Anne Littleton and had a
son Thomas Poyntz Littleton, 3rd Bart, Speaker of the House who d.s.p.

When the last Tom d.s.p. his baronetcy expired, but his estates passed
to his (probably surprised) first cousin Elizabeth (Littleton) Meynell
who d 1726

I wish DNB would tell me who her mother was !

Will Johnson

jhigg...@yahoo.com

May 8, 2008, 12:46:19 AM5/8/08

What is your source for the statement that the estates of Sir Thomas
Poyntz Littleton, 3rd Baronet (d. 1710) passed to his first cousin
Elizabeth (Littleton) Meynell? The biography of Sir Thomas in
"History of Parliament 1660-1690" says that the estates passed to a
cousin James. The bio of Sir Thomas in ODNB appears to say nothing
about the heir of his estates.

As to the parents of Elizabeth Littleton, the ODNB bio of the Edward
Littleton who went to Barbados says that Edward and his wife Dorothy
Booth had no children. If so, Elizabeth must be a daughter of a
different Edward Littleton and thus not a cousin of the 3rd Baronet.

There were a number of branches of Littletons [or Lytteltons] at this
time. The name of Littleton Poyntz Meynell certainly suggests a
connection with Sir Adam Littleton and Audrey/Ethelreda Poyntz, but it
seems unclear as what the connection is.

wjhonson

May 8, 2008, 1:05:06 AM5/8/08
On May 7, 9:46 pm, jhiggins...@yahoo.com wrote:
> What is your source for the statement that the estates of Sir Thomas
> Poyntz Littleton, 3rd Baronet (d. 1710) passed to his first cousin
> Elizabeth (Littleton) Meynell?  The biography of Sir Thomas in
> "History of Parliament 1660-1690" says that the estates passed to a
> cousin James.  The bio of Sir Thomas in ODNB appears to say nothing
> about the heir of his estates.

---------------------------
Apparently I should have said just North Ockendon. The estates passed
to Sir James, but per Thomas' will North Ockendon only passed either
for life, or if their were heirs. When Sir James d in 1723, North
Ockendon then passed to Elizabeth (Littleton) Meynell.

When she died in 1726, to her son Littleton Poyntz Meynell and then
upon *his* death to his second son (but heir by will) Hugo who sold
North Ockendon in 1758

Check here
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42824.

Will Johnson

wjhonson

May 8, 2008, 1:07:53 AM5/8/08
As to her parents this must be them, thanks for that "Dorothy Booth"

http://books.google.com/books?id=NTLj3Y0knlIC&pg=PA342&lpg=PA342&dq=dorothy+booth+littleton&source=web&ots=F8P2eGkLj4&sig=rU_QQ0tFW3PWlFKTIzZDDnUCOEw&hl=en

Note "daughter and heir", probably in his IPM or else in the will of
Thomas Poyntz Littleton d 1709 is where the evidence will be shown
clearly.

Will Johnson

jhigg...@yahoo.com

May 8, 2008, 1:09:27 AM5/8/08
On May 7, 9:46 pm, jhiggins...@yahoo.com wrote:

I may have answered part of my question. I notice that VCH Essex vol.
7 sub North Ockenden says that Sir Thomas' estate of North Ockenden
passed by his will to Mrs. Elizabeth Meynell (d. 1726), a grand-
daughter of Sir Adam Littleton. On the other hand, its sources are
not the best: Morant's Essex, plus an early edition (1847) of BLG,
plus the old DNB (perhaps now corrected by ODNB?). The VCH article
also mentions another son of Sir Adam, William, who had a dau. Dorothy
- perhaps this William also had a daughter Elizabeth.....and the
reference to her father being Edward may be wrong.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42824

There is also a very detailed biography of Sir Thomas, 3rd Baronet in
"History of Parliament 1690-1715", which is available in preview mode
via Google Books - except, unfortunately, for the pages which cover
his death and the sources for the article.

jhigg...@yahoo.com

May 8, 2008, 1:15:31 AM5/8/08
On May 7, 10:07 pm, wjhonson <wjhon...@aol.com> wrote:
> As to her parents this must be them, thanks for that "Dorothy Booth"
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=NTLj3Y0knlIC&pg=PA342&lpg=PA342&dq=d...

> Note "daughter and heir", probably in his IPM or else in the will of
> Thomas Poyntz Littleton d 1709 is where the evidence will be shown
> clearly.
>
> Will Johnson

Le Neve's rather sketchy pedigree may be wrong (as, in fact, noted by
its editor). The ODNB article for Edward Littleton says that Dorothy
was dau. of John Booth of Glossop, Derbyshire, and widow of Edward
Harrison of Barbados.

jhigg...@yahoo.com

May 8, 2008, 1:27:19 AM5/8/08

ODNB also has an article on Vice-Adm. [not Sir] James Littleton (d.
1723), son of James Littleton of Lingfield, Surrey, and Susanna White
(née Medlicot), and stated to be grand-nephew of Sir Thomas, 3rd
baronet, the Speaker of the House of Commons. Admiral James Littleton
was briefly an MP and has a bio in HOP 1715-1754, which indicates that
the connection to Sir Thomas was through Sir Thomas' mother Anne
Littleton, who was dau. of Edward L., 1st Baron Lyttleton of Mounslow,
whose younger brother Thomas was the grandfather of Admiral James.
(Are you lost yet?)

This still doesn't confirm who the father of Elizabeth (Littleton)
Meynell was....

wjhonson

May 8, 2008, 1:49:01 AM5/8/08
On May 7, 10:27 pm, jhiggins...@yahoo.com wrote:

> This still doesn't confirm who the father of Elizabeth (Littleton)
> Meynell was....

-------
Ugh I can't make this fit, Can you?

Information relating to document ref. no. D239 M/E 20488
Thomas Alleyne from Queen's College, Oxford, to his aunt [Elizabeth]
Meynell at Bradley: begs an advance of £100; his uncles in Barbados
refuse him extra cash. 12 June Date: 1732.
Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

jhigg...@yahoo.com

May 9, 2008, 6:41:46 PM5/9/08

Your supposition regarding the parents of Judith Alleyne as Thomas
Alleyne and Judith Thornhill is confirmed by an extensive pedigree of
that family in "Genealogies of Barbados Families", compiled by James
C. Brandow and published by GPC in 1983.