Paul C. Reed article regarding Machell and Cudworth

Adrienne Boaz

Feb 19, 2012, 11:50:47 AM2/19/12
to Gen, Paul...@comcast.net
Dear Medieval Genealogists,
I have been attempting to track down all sources which reference Matthew Machell, Mary Lewknor, Mary Machell, and Ralph Cudworth, and have had quite a lot of success with that, and I have read dozens upon dozens of messages regarding these people on the Gen Medieval message board. Apparently there is a very important article written by Paul C. Reed, in which he was able to verify that Mary Machell was indeed the daughter of Mary Lewknor and Matthew Machell.

I have the same problem as anyone else who has researched this family: a giant stack of various types of sources with lots of wonderful information, none of which stated the parents of Mary Machell (the woman who married Ralph Cudworth). Douglas Richardson was able to link Mary to her father, Matthew Machell, but I must be missing something, because even though I looked at the sources he cited here, I still was unable to see the connection: www.charlemagne.org/Jewels 10-29-09.pdf

So, I really would love to read Paul Reed's article, if possible. I spent some time searching for it, but it seems as though perhaps it has not yet been published. Is that still the case? Alternatively, has anyone seen a will of Matthew Machell or his wife which stated that they had a daughter, Mary?

Thank you once again for your time in reading this plea.
Sincerely,
Adrienne Boaz

Wjhonson

Feb 19, 2012, 12:01:03 PM2/19/12
to adrien...@yahoo.com, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com, Paul...@comcast.net

Be sure to add these sources to your list

http://knol.google.com/k/general-james-cudworth#
the message

Adrienne Boaz

Feb 19, 2012, 3:37:14 PM2/19/12
to Wjhonson, Gen
Will Johnson wrote, "Be sure to add these sources to your list:
http://knol.google.com/k/general-james-cudworth#"

I looked at those, and I thought your article was so helpful, Will. I spent a few days just examining the evidence you presented and tracking down the sources you cited. Between your article and Douglas Richardson's info, I was able to learn a great deal, but I can't use most of what I learned without proof of Mary's parents. Thank you so much, Will.   :o)

One thing I was trying to figure out that was cited by Mr. Richardson was from an abstract of John Machell's IPM of 1559, located here:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65878#s5

It referred to John's wife as Margaret, and mentioned his fourteen year old son, John, and his daughter, Alice, but did not mention Matthew (or Thomas, who was also supposed to be a son of John and Jane/Joan). Do you suppose that Jane/Joan (Luddington) Machell was known as Margaret? This doesn't really seem that likely to me. We know that Jane (Luddington) Machell secondly married Sir Thomas Chamberlain, so she didn't die before John, so Margaret could not have been John's second wife.
What do you think about this document?

 - Adrienne Boaz

________________________________
Feb 19, 2012, 3:54:58 PM2/19/12
to adrien...@yahoo.com, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com

Even though this man was also a haberdasher, I have to tentatively believe this must be another family

http://books.google.com/books?id=hqwKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA441

Vis essex 1634 although Matthew had been dead already for 40 years, it was only 40, not 100 or 200
So I'm leaning toward this connection being accurate.
That this John gives to Alice ignoring Matthew and Jane is also suspect that this is someone else.

Paul

Feb 20, 2012, 2:47:12 PM2/20/12
Instead of a published article on the material around the time of the
immigrant, I'm helping a volunteer at the FHL work on this with me as
a wiki. He is an older man who went through the medieval course
material with me when I was teaching classes on medieval and early
modern genealogical sources for a few months to a private group of
people at the FHL.

The benefit of a wiki over a published article or book will be that we
can attach document images, explain the research process as well as
results (so it can be a teaching process instead of just a page or two
in a pretty book on the shelf), and are not limited by space (plus it
will be free). But I am at the university full time, so it depends on
how much the volunteer at the library is able to cover with my
direction and help (he's very intelligent and wanted the experience),
so it will probably be a few months before it becomes public. I'll
let the group know when it is available for viewing.

The earlier medieval portion of the ancestry (when it is worked out
properly) will be submitted for publication in Foundations: The
Journal of Medieval Genealogy, as an article there, as that was a
commitment made some time ago. I don't know if a journal will still
want an article on the immigrant if more detailed information will be
on the Internet, but I guess I will find out if they express
interest.

Paul

Adrienne Boaz

Feb 20, 2012, 3:09:47 PM2/20/12
to Paul, Gen
Thank you so much for your response, Mr. Reed! I really look forward to reading your research.
 - Adrienne Boaz