Complete Peerage Addition: Agnes (living 1295), wife of Sir John de Pateshulle, of Pattishall, Northamptonshire

celticp...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2020, 6:22:50 PM7/24/20
Dear Newsgroup ~

Complete Peerage 10 (1945): 314 (sub Pateshulle) has a brief account of Sir John de Pateshulle, died 1290, of Pattishall, Northamptonshire, Knight of the Shire for Bedfordshire, 1290. Regarding his marriage, the following information is provided:

"The name of his wife, whose parentage is unknown, seems to have been Hawise. He died at some time in 1290. Five years later, and still in 1316, his widow was holding Pattishall [Northamptonshire] in dower." END OF QUOTE.

In footnote i on the same page, the following additional information is provided regarding Sir John de Patteshulle's wife:

"In 1295 the mother of Simon de Patteshulle was holding Pattishall in dower, and Lady Hawise de Patteshulle who held it in 1316 was presumably the same person (Ann. Monastici, vol. iii, p. 401; Feudal Aids, vol. iv, p. 22)." END OF QUOTE.

As we can see, it appears that Sir John de Pattishulle's unknown wife survived him and was living in 1295. The editor of Complete Peerage "presumes" she is the same person as Lady Hawise de Pateshulle in 1316.

As it turns out, Sir John de Patteshulle's widow was actually named Agnes. This is proven by a Common Pleas lawsuit dated Easter term 1293, an abstract of which is provided below:

In Easter term 1293 Agnes, widow of John de Pateshull, claimed as her right 22s. 8d. rent in Middleton Milton and Collingtree (in Milton Malzor), Northamptonshire, which rent Philip de Quenton has granted to Philip de Gayton by fine.

Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/101, image 54f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no101/aCP40no101fronts/IMG_0054.htm).

The fine referenced in the above lawsuit has been abstracted and is available on Chris Phillips' great website, Some Notes on English Medieval Genealogy. A copy of abstract of this fine is copied below.

CP 25/1/175/57, number 309.
Link: Image of document at AALT
County: Northamptonshire.
Place: Westminster.
Date: Two weeks from St Michael, 21 Edward I [13 October 1293].
Parties: Philip de Gayton', querent, and Philip de Quenton', deforciant.
Property: The service of 1 [knight's] fee in Middelton' and Colentre.
Action: Plea of covenant.
Agreement: Philip de Quenton' has acknowledged the fee, together with the homage and all the service of Simon de Pateshull' and his heirs, in respect of all the tenement which he held before of Philip de [Quenton'] in the aforesaid vills, to be the right of Philip de Gayton', as that which Philip de Gayton' has of his gift, to hold to Philip de Gayton' and his heirs, of the chief lords for ever. And besides Philip de Quenton' granted for himself and his heirs that 22 shillings and 8 pence of rent - which Agnes, who was the wife of John de Pateshull', holds for life of the inheritance of Philip de Quenton' in the aforesaid vills on the day the agreement was made, and which after the decease of Agnes ought to revert to Philip de Quenton' and his heirs - after the decease of Agnes shall remain to Philip de Gayton' and his heirs, to hold together with the fee of the chief lords for ever.
Warranty: Warranty, in respect of the fee.
For this: Philip de Gayton' has given him 10 pounds sterling.
Note: This agreement was made in the presence of Simon and Agnes, and they did fealty to Philip de Gayton' in the court.

Standardised forms of names. (These are tentative suggestions, intended only as a finding aid.)
Persons: Philip de Gayton, Philip de Quinton, Simon de Pattishall, John de Pattishall, Agnes de Pattishall
Places: Milton Malsor, Collingtree

Reference: http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/fines/abstracts/CP_25_1_175_57.shtml#309

In summary, it appears that Sir John de Pateshulle was survived by a wife, Agnes, who occurs in both a lawsuit and a fine dated 1293. Agnes was still living in 1295, as stated by Complete Peerage. She is obviously a separate and distinct woman from Lady Hawise de Pateshulle living in 1316.

For interest's sake, the following is a list of the 17th Century New World immigrants that descend from Sir John de Pateshulle and his wife, Agnes:

Barbara Aubrey, William Bladen, George & Nehemiah Blakiston, Thomas Booth, Elizabeth, John, and Thomas Butler, Humphrey Davie, Mary Launce, Hannah, Samuel & Sarah Levis, Percival Lowell, Joseph & Mary Need, Philip & Thomas Nelson, Thomas Owsley, Elizabeth Saint John, Mary Johanna Somerset.

Do you descend from this couple? If so, I'd very much appreciate seeing your line of descent posted here on the newsgroup.

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

joseph cook

Jul 25, 2020, 12:57:46 AM7/25/20
On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 6:22:50 PM UTC-4, celticp...@gmail.com wrote:
> <snip>
> In summary, it appears that Sir John de Pateshulle was survived by a wife, Agnes, who occurs in both a lawsuit and a fine dated 1293. Agnes was still living in 1295, as stated by Complete Peerage. She is obviously a separate and distinct woman from Lady Hawise de Pateshulle living in 1316.
> <snip>
> Do you descend from this couple? If so, I'd very much appreciate seeing your line of descent posted here on the newsgroup.

Great find. Yes, I am a Percival Lowle descendant.

Agnes's son Simon seems to have named his daughter Agnes (wife of Sir John Pabenham).

--Joe C

Michael Cayley

Jul 25, 2020, 6:06:00 AM7/25/20
Thank you for this, I have recently started doing some work on WikiTree on the ancestry of Mary Johanna Somerset, so for me your timing is perfect.

Jan Wolfe

Jul 26, 2020, 1:01:12 PM7/26/20
On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 6:22:50 PM UTC-4, celticp...@gmail.com wrote:
> For interest's sake, the following is a list of the 17th Century New World immigrants that descend from Sir John de Pateshulle and his wife, Agnes:
> Do you descend from this couple? If so, I'd very much appreciate seeing your line of descent posted here on the newsgroup.
>
> Best always, Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

Great find, Douglas. Thanks for sharing the information.

Is this descent to Henry VII correct?
John de Pateshulle=Agnes
Simon de Pateshulle=Isabel de Stonegrave
John de Pateshulle=Mabel de Grandison
Sibel de Pateshulle=Roger Beauchamp
Roger Beauchamp=Joan Clopton
Roger Beauchamp=Mary
John Beauchamp=Edith Stourton
Margaret Beauchamp=Jean Beaufort
Margaret Beaufort=Edmund Tudor
Henry VII

If so, then my ancestor 1714 colonial immigrant Katherine Craighead Homes is an descendant of John de Pateshulle and Agnes.

celticp...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2020, 1:15:46 PM7/26/20
Dear Newsgroup ~

I wish to thank Joe and Michael for their comments. Much appreciated.

In my original post, I stated that Agnes, widow of John de Pateshulle, occurs in a "lawsuit" in 1293. The purpose of this legal action seems to have been to force Agnes to do fealty in court for her rents in preparation for the fine which was recorded later the same year. Chris Phillips informs me that this doesn't seem entirely consistent with the received wisdom about the procedures for fines.

Be that as it may, I incorrectly gave the reference for the 1293 legal action as http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no101/aCP40no101fronts/IMG_0054.htm

The correct reference is actually http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/aCP40no100fronts/IMG_0054.htm

I was working in both 100 and 101 the same day. I inadvertedly pulled up the wrong citation.

Elsewhere Chris Phillips has found a related legal action involving the same matter at the following reference:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no102/aCP40no102fronts/IMG_0054.htm

Likewise I've located yet another legal action involving Agnes, widow of John de Pateshulle in 1293:

In Easter term 1293 Agnes, widow of John de Pateshulle, sued Philip de Montgomery in the Court of Common Pleas regarding one messuage and lands in Great Gowele [North Crawley], Buckinghamshire, which she claimed as her right. Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/100, image 69f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/aCP40no100fronts/IMG_0054.htm).

VCH Buckingham 4 (1927): 327-338 shows that the Pateshulle family and Philip de Montgomery both had land holdings in North Crawley, Buckinghamshire. It also notes that North Crawley has been known as Great Craule in older medieval records.

Joe has pointed out that Simon de Pateshulle (died 1295), son of John de Pateshulle (died 1290), had a daughter named Agnes de Pateshulle (died 1313), who married John de Pabenham. For particulars of the younger Agnes de Pateshulle, see Cal. IPM 5 (1908): 209 and VCH Bedford 3 (1912): 40-43. I presume that this Agnes de Pateshulle was named for her grandmother, Agnes, widow of John de Pateshulle.

Finally, I note that Complete Peerage states that John de Pateshulle (died 1290) was a Knight of the Shire for Northamptonshire in 1290. The source for this information is Palgrave, Parliamentary Writs & Writs of Military Summons 1 (1827): i (Cal. of Writs & Returns).

If you have a line of descent from John de Pateshulle (died 1290) and Agnes his wife, I'd very much like to see it posted here on the newsgroup.

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

joseph cook

Jul 26, 2020, 11:19:39 PM7/26/20
On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 1:15:46 PM UTC-4, celticp...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Newsgroup ~
>
> I wish to thank Joe and Michael for their comments. Much appreciated.
>
> In my original post, I stated that Agnes, widow of John de Pateshulle, occurs in a "lawsuit" in 1293. The purpose of this legal action seems to have been to force Agnes to do fealty in court for her rents in preparation for the fine which was recorded later the same year. Chris Phillips informs me that this doesn't seem entirely consistent with the received wisdom about the procedures for fines.
>
> Be that as it may, I incorrectly gave the reference for the 1293 legal action as http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no101/aCP40no101fronts/IMG_0054.htm
>
> The correct reference is actually http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/aCP40no100fronts/IMG_0054.htm
>
> I was working in both 100 and 101 the same day. I inadvertedly pulled up the wrong citation.
>
> Elsewhere Chris Phillips has found a related legal action involving the same matter at the following reference:
>
> http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no102/aCP40no102fronts/IMG_0054.htm
>
> Likewise I've located yet another legal action involving Agnes, widow of John de Pateshulle in 1293:
>
> In Easter term 1293 Agnes, widow of John de Pateshulle, sued Philip de Montgomery in the Court of Common Pleas regarding one messuage and lands in Great Gowele [North Crawley], Buckinghamshire, which she claimed as her right. Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/100, image 69f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/aCP40no100fronts/IMG_0054.htm).

Thanks. The reference is correct here, but not the link. The correct link is:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/aCP40%20no100fronts/IMG_0069.htm

It is the 6th entry down the page.

Cheers,
Joe Cook

Adrian Channing

Jul 27, 2020, 12:13:56 PM7/27/20
There is quite a lot of information on Sr John Pateshull in "Knights of Edward I" edited by Rev C Moor and reproduced in Harleian Society vol LXXXIII (for the year 1931), page 8, but suggests the detail may refer to two men, father and son. This must be the case if C.P. is correct in stating one died in 1290.

Adrian

P Nielsen Hayden

Aug 2, 2020, 9:27:50 AM8/2/20
On 2020-07-26 17:15:44 +0000, celticp...@gmail.com said:

> Finally, I note that Complete Peerage states that John de Pateshulle
> (died 1290) was a Knight of the Shire for Northamptonshire in 1290.

Actually, CP says Bedfordshire, as you correctly noted in your post of 24 July.

celticp...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2020, 7:55:10 PM8/5/20
Dear Newsgroup ~

Complete Peerage, 10 (1945): 314–315 (sub Pateshulle), and 12(2) (1959): 98–100 (sub Tye), includes a history of Isabel (or Elizabeth) de Stonegrave, wife successively of Simon de Pateshulle (died 1295) and Sir Walter de Teye, Lord Tey. I've copied below my current file account of Isabel and her two husbands.

With regard to an question posed offlist to me, there appears to have been at least five John de Pateshulle's. John de Pateshulle I (died 1290) was the husband of Agnes, who was the original subject of this thread. John I and his wife, Agnes, appear to have had at least two sons, Simon de Patehulle (died 1295) and John de Pateshille, who I will call John de Pateshulle II, as well as one daughter, Margery [Marion] (wife of Robert Bryan). Evidence of John de Pateshulle II's parentage is proven by a Common Pleas lawsuit dated 1296, in which Isabel, widow of Simon de Pateshulle, sued John son of John de Pateshulle in the Court of Common Pleas regarding the third part of the manor of Little Crawley, Buckinghamshire, which she claimed in right of dower; the said John came and said that the said Simon by his charter had granted the manor to him for the term of his life.

As for the history of John de Pateshulle II, I find that in 1305 Robert Frere sued him in the Court of Common Pleas in a Buckinghamshire plea regarding a debt of 111s. 2d. In 1305, 1307, and 1308 Roger de Beauchamp sued him in the Court of Common Pleas in a Buckinghamshire plea regarding a debt of 12 marks. He was granted free warren in his demesne lands in Little Crawley (in North Crawley), Buckinghamshire in 1306.

As for the third John de Pateshulle, he was the son and heir of Simon de Pateshulle (died 1290), by his wife, Isabel de Stonegrave. He married Mabel de Grandison. He and his wife Mabel appear to have had a younger son, John de Pateshulle, Esq., of Broybury (in Little Cainhoe), Bedfordshire, King’s esquire, who was living in 1340. I will call this individual John de Pateshulle IV.

And, presumably it was John de Pateshulle II who died in 1330, leaving a 5 year old son, John, who I will called John de Pateshulle V.

Do you descend from the Pateshulle family? If so, I'd very much appreciate seeing your line of descent from the Pateshulle family posted here on the newsgroup.

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

+ + + + + + +

10. ISABEL (or ELIZABETH) DE STONEGRAVE, daughter and heiress, born about 1271–3 (aged 22, 23, or 24 at her father’s IPM in 1295; aged 24 in 1295 at IPM of Isabel de Beauchamp, widow of her great-uncle, Simon de Beauchamp). She married (1st) after January 1286/7 SIMON DE PATESHULLE (or PATSHULL), of Pattishall, Grimscote (in Cold Higham), Milton and Collingtree (in Milton Malzor), and Rothersthorpe, and Stoke Bruerne, Northamptonshire, Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, Little Crawley (in North Crawley), Buckinghamshire, Elstronwick (in Humbleton), Yorkshire, etc., and, in right of his wife, of Nunnington and Stonegrave, Yorkshire, son and heir of John de Pateshulle (or Pateshull, Patishull), Knt. (died 1290), of Pattishall, Bugbrooke, Grimscote (in Cold Higham), Milton and Collingtree (in Milton Malzor), and Rothersthorpe, Northamptonshire, Little Crawley (in North Crawley), Buckinghamshire, etc., Knight of the Shire for Bedfordshire, 1290, by his wife, Agnes (living 1295). They had two sons, John, Knt., and Richard, and probably one daughter, Agnes (wife of John de Pabenham). In 1290 he did homage to the Prior of Dunstable for the lands which he held of the priory. SIMON DE PATESHULLE died shortly before 2 Dec. 1295. After his death, a summons was issued to him 16 Dec. 1295, to be at Newcastle in March 1296 to proceed against the Scots. In 1296 Isabel, widow of Simon de Pateshulle, sued John son of John de Pateshulle in the Court of Common Pleas regarding the third part of the manor of Little Crawley, Buckinghamshire, which she claimed in right of dower; the said John came and said that the said Simon by his charter had granted the manor to him for the term of his life. About 1296–7 Isabel de Stainegreve, widow of Simon de Patesill, owed Rayner [?Sperry], Citizen and merchant of York, a debt of ? 8s. 9d. On 4 March 1297 the king ordered the escheators not to intermeddle with the lands of the late Simon de Pateshull, as the king learned by inquisition that Simon at his death held nothing of the king in chief. His widow, Isabel, married (2nd) before 3 June 1297 (by the king’s command) WALTER DE TEYE, Knt., Lord Teye, of Milton-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire, West Firsby, Lincolnshire, etc., King’s yeoman, Joint Governor of the City of York, 1317–18, and, in right of his wife, of Stonegrave, Muscoates, Nunnington, Riccal, and West Ness, Yorkshire, Bromham and Keysoe, Bedfordshire, Linslade, Buckinghamshire, etc., King’s yeoman, Keeper of Berwick-on-Tweed. They had no surviving issue. In 1290 he came before the king and sought to replevy his land in Middleton [Milton], Oxfordshire, which was taken into the king’s hands for his default in the king’s court against Nicholas de Gardino. In 1293 Nicholas del Gardin sued him in the Court of Common Pleas regarding 30 acres of land and 12 acres of meadow in Middleton by Bruern [Milton-under-Wychwood], Oxfordshire. In 1297 Walter and Isabel his wife made a settlement of Nunniungton, Yorkshire on themselves and the heirs of Isabel. He was summoned for military service in Flanders in 1297, and for military service against the Scots in 1298, 1299, 1300, 1303. He fought at the Battle of Falkirk 22 July 1298. He was summoned to Parliament from 6 February 1298/9 to 26 August 1307. Isabel, Lady Teye, died shortly before 20 Feb. 1300/1. He signed the Barons’ letter to Pope Boniface VIII in 1301 as “Dominus de Standgreve.” In 1303 Sir Walter de Tey, Sir Ralph Paynel, and Sir Richard le Rous presented to a moiety of the church of Houghton Conquest, Bedfordshire in right of their wives. In 1304 Nicholas de Luda arraigned an assize of novel disseisin against him regarding tenements in West Ness (in Stonegrave), Yorkshire. The same year Ingelram Folenfaunt arraigned a similar assize against him regarding a tenement in West Nunnington, Yorkshire. The same year he sued Richard le Rus and Elizabeth his wife in the Court of Common Pleas regarding the presentation to a moiety of the church of Houghton Conquest, Bedfordshire. In 1306 Sir Richard le Rous and Elizabeth his wife presented to the church of Houghton Conquest, Bedfordshire; Sir Ralph Painel presented another candidate, but the king certified that the said Ralph and Walter de Teye had previously granted the advowson of the said church to Sir Richard le Rous. He was summoned to attend the Coronation of King Edward II 25 Feb. 1308. In 1311 he was requested to proceed with as many followers as he can against the Scots, who were preparing to ravage the north. In 1324 he was summoned to attend the Great Council at Westminster. SIR WALTER DE TEYE, Lord Teye, died shortly before 15 June 1324.

Archaeologia 21 (1827): 218–219. Palgrave, Parliamentary Writs & Writs of Military Summons 1 (1827): i (Cal. of Writs & Returns), 772, 860. Baker, Hist. & Antiqs. of Northampton 2 (1836–41): 295–297 (Pateshull arms: Argent, a fess sable between three crescents, gules). Banks, Baronies in Fee 2 (1843): 136–137 (sub Steyngreve). Luard, Annales Monastici 3 (Rolls Ser. 36) (1866): 365 (Dunstable Annals sub 1290 — “Eodem anno obiit Johannes de Patushulle; et Simon filius ejus invadiavit relevium priori, scilicet quadraginta-sex solidos; et fecit homagium for terris in Grimuscote et Patushulle.”), 401 (Dunstable Annals sub 1295 — “Item obiit Symon de Pateshulle junior, nondum miles. Et dominus rex habuit wardam haeredis sui, et terrarum, ratione octodecim auccarum, quas dominus rex percipere solet nomine sergantiæ, de quodam tenemento quod ipse Symon et sui prædecessores tenuerunt. Prior autem de Dunstaple disrationavit et habuit redditum suum quem idem Symon ei debuit pro Grymeskote et Pateshulle. Tandem mater dicti Symonis manerium de Pateshulle cum pertinentiis et onere habuit nomine dotis.”). Harvey, Hist. & Antiqs. of the Hundred of Willey (1872–8): opp. 4 (Beauchamp ped.). Gough, Scotland in 1298 (1888): 30, 86, 150–151. Yorkshire Arch. & Topog. Jour. 11 (1891): 446. Birch, Cat. Seals in the British Museum 2 (1892): 400 (seal of Isabel de Pateshulle, daughter of John de Stonegrave, dated temp. Henry III. — Oval. In tightly-fitting dress, fur cloak, flat head-dress. Standing on a carved corbel between two wavy sprigs of foliage). Genealogist n.s. 10 (1893): 215; n.s. 16 (1899): 38. D.N.B. 44 (1901): 30 (biog. of Sir Simon de Pateshull). Howard de Walden, Some Feudal Lords & Their Seals (1903): 102–103 (biog. of Walter de Teye) (seal of Walter de Teye dated 1301 — On a fess between two chevronels three pierced mullets. The shield decorated on either side by a wingless wyvern, with florcated tail. Legend: S’ WALTERI : DE : TEYE : DNI : DE : STEYNGREVE :). Ancestor 8 (1904): 103–104. C.C.R. 1288–1296 (1904): 147. Wrottesley, Peds. from the Plea Rolls (1905): 74, 267–268. Barron, Northamptonshire Fams. (1906): 317. C.C.R. 1296–1302 (1906): 18. Cal. IPM 3 (1912): 174–183, 188–189; 5 (1908): 209, 245; 6 (1910): 341–347. Cal. Various Chancery Rolls 1277–1326 (1912): 73–74. VCH Bedford 3 (1912): 9–15, 40–43, 45, 235. VCH Yorkshire N.R. 1 (1914): 544–548. Farrer, Honors & Knights’ Fees 1 (1923): 92–94. VCH Buckingham 3 (1925): 387–391; 4 (1927): 327–338. VCH Northampton 4 (1937): 271–276 (Pateshull arms: Argent a fesse sable between three crescents gules), 285–288; 5 (2002): 374–413. Early Yorkshire Charters 6 (1939): 122 (chart). C.P. 10 (1945): 314–315 (sub Pateshulle); 12(2) (1959): 98–100 (sub Tye). Paget, Baronage of England (1957) 37: 1–8 (sub Beauchamp). Cal. of Memoranda Rolls (Exchequer) Preserved in the Public Rec. Office: Michaelmas 1326–Michaelmas 1327 (1968): 161, 163. Sanders, English Baronies (1960): 10–12. Ormrod, Fourteenth Cent. England VII (2012): 50, footnote 20. Court of Common Pleas, CP40/100, image 54f [In Easter term 1293 Agnes, widow of John de Pateshull, claimed 22s. 8d. rent in Middleton Milton and Collingtree (in Milton Malzor), Northamptonshire] (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/aCP40%20no100fronts/IMG_0054.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/100, image 69f [In Easter term 1293 Agnes, widow of John de Pateshulle, sued Philip de Montgomery in the Court of Common Pleas regarding one messuage and lands in Great Gowele [North Crawley], Buckinghamshire, which she claimed as her right] (available athttp://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/aCP40%20no100fronts/IMG_0069.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/100, image 230f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/aCP40%20no100fronts/IMG_0230.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/100, image 367d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no100/bCP40no100dorses/IMG_0367.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/102, image 54f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no102/aCP40no102fronts/IMG_0054.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/115, image 96f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no115/aCP40no115fronts/IMG_0096.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/149, image 194f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no149/aCP40no149fronts/IMG_0194.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/149, image 1062d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no149/bCP40no149dorses/IMG_1062.htm). National Archives, C 143/102/12; C 241/31/36; SC 8/325/E686 (available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk). National Archives, CP 25/1/175/57, #309 [see abstract of fine at http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/index.html].

h2buc...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2020, 5:16:49 PM8/9/20
On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 6:22:50 PM UTC-4, celticp...@gmail.com wrote:
Hello, I am always on the lookout for any Patteshulle information. Edmund Patteshall (About 1610-about 1676) is my 9th great-grandfather sourced here:
Edmund Patteshall, citizen and salter of London, married by licence granted by the Bishop of London, Martha Denham of St. Mary Le-Strand, London, 29 December 1634. Martha was the daughter of Richard Denham and was baptized 26 May 1611 and buried 16 August 1667. Edmund Patteshall was at Pemaquid, Maine as early as 1665 and took the oath of fidelity as Capt.Edmnd Pattesstall 22 July 1674. He was Captn Edmund Pattishall of Kenebeck when appointed a commissioner within the courts of the County of Devon. Commissioners were able to join people in marriage and to punish criminal offences. He lived at one time on an island which he owned in Kennebec River, called Paddishale's Island. He was living in 1675. Source: an article contributed by Henry F. Waters and entitled Genealogical Gleanings in England, printed in Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol.28, p.137.

I descend through their son Richard Patteshall of Maine and Boston who was killed 2 August 1689 in an Indian attack at Pemaquid, Maine on the Kennebec River. He married Martha Woody (1651/2-1718) about 1673. A painting of Martha and one of her daughters was given to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, possibly painted by Thomas Smith. Paul Revere was a great-grandson of Richard and Martha Patteshall. I have not been successful in finding the ancestry of Edmund Patteshall.

I have looked at the Pateshulle Surname in Vol. IV of the Royal Ancestry Series, pp.312-316 and see there are several possible children of John de Pateshulle, Knt III by Mabel de Grandison: John de Pateshulle IV, as well as Simon de Pateshulle and Richard de Pateshulle. You also mentioned John de Pateshull II, died 1330, who had a son John de Pateshulle V. I am hoping there might be further genealogical information available on these Pateshulles or on my Edmund Patteshall Family's ancestry.

Thank you. I enjoy reading the posts on here and appreciate all of the research you and others have shared.

Valerie

Leslie Mahler

Oct 18, 2020, 2:13:42 PM10/18/20
The will of William Pateshall of Pudleston, Herefordshire, gentleman, dated 9 January 1627,
gave 100 pounds each to his sons Robert and Edmond, when they came out of their
apprenticeship. But he did not say who they were apprenticed to.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D889313

Leslie ( LMahler at att.net)

Adrian Channing

Oct 19, 2020, 11:28:52 AM10/19/20
"[Ref] 42747 Patteshall, Rob. s Wm., Puddlestone, Hef, esq. to Wm. Washington, Watling St., 27 Feb 1625 9/142."
From _The Merchant Taylors Company of London: apprentices 1583-1800, Apprenticeship Series Vol II Part II, printed by British Record Soc., 2019_ Page 854 Not sure what 9/142 stands for, probably some sort of Ref explained in earlier Vol. No Edmond under this spelling in Merchant Taylors Co.

Adrian of Ewhurst

Jan Wolfe

Oct 19, 2020, 11:59:57 PM10/19/20
On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 11:28:52 AM UTC-4, Adrian Channing wrote:
> "[Ref] 42747 Patteshall, Rob. s Wm., Puddlestone, Hef, esq. to Wm. Washington, Watling St., 27 Feb 1625 9/142."
> From _The Merchant Taylors Company of London: apprentices 1583-1800, Apprenticeship Series Vol II Part II, printed by British Record Soc., 2019_ Page 854 Not sure what 9/142 stands for, probably some sort of Ref explained in earlier Vol. No Edmond under this spelling in Merchant Taylors Co.
>
> Adrian of Ewhurst

I think that 9/142 means vol. 9 folio 142 (see the FamilySearch catalog entry for these records, https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1176350.)

Jan Wolfe

Oct 20, 2020, 12:03:20 AM10/20/20
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 5:16:49 PM UTC-4, h2buc...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I am always on the lookout for any Patteshulle information. Edmund Patteshall (About 1610-about 1676) is my 9th great-grandfather sourced here:
> Edmund Patteshall, citizen and salter of London, married by licence granted by the Bishop of London, Martha Denham of St. Mary Le-Strand, London, 29 December 1634.
> Valerie

Ancestry.com has the image of the 1634 marriage licence application with Edmund's signature, https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/2056/images/32515_1831101881_0031-00163?pId=324803.

Jan Wolfe

Oct 20, 2020, 1:06:07 AM10/20/20
There is a court case in 1671 concerning property in London in which an Edmond Patteshall is one of the defendants.
https://waalt.uh.edu/index.php/C78_1671
C78 1671
1671 10 July regnal year 23 Richard Craile of St Dunstans in the West, London, blacksmith v Samuel Baker; William Harris; Edmond Patteshall; Abigaile Baker & Rebecca Baker. Trust of profits of sale of "White Lyon" in Fleet Street, London C78/738, no. 15 [122]
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT7/C78/C78no738/IMG_0133.htm

mk

Oct 20, 2020, 10:39:57 AM10/20/20
On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 6:22:50 PM UTC-4, celticp...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Newsgroup ~
>
> Complete Peerage 10 (1945): 314 (sub Pateshulle) has a brief account of Sir John de Pateshulle, died 1290, of Pattishall, Northamptonshire, Knight of the Shire for Bedfordshire, 1290. Regarding his marriage, the following information is provided:

> Best always, Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

“Agnes de Pateshull.
Writ, 10 Jan. 6 Edw. II.
Bedford, Inq. 24 Jan. 6 Edw. II. [1312/3]
Bletnesho. The manor (extent given), with the advowson of the church, jointly held for life by John de Pabenham the younger and the said Agnes, of the grant and inheritance of Simon son and heir of John de Pateshull, of Sir John de Munbray in chief of the barony of Bedeford, by service of 1 knight’s fee.
John son of Simon de Pateshull, aged 20 or more, is her next heir
C. Edw. II. File 28. (17.)”

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924011387838#page/n235/mode/2up