The 7 John Spencer's of Blunham, Bedfordshire - A most difficult de-tangling!

Robert Spencer

Apr 27, 2014, 11:34:21 AM4/27/14
With the disclosure of 3 probated Wills back in December and the finding of numerous litigation cases and other finds, the de-tangling and confusion over these 7 should should now be clearer and settle old argumnets and conjectures.
I shall attempt to put forth what I have gleaned from these. Your corrections and additions are welcome..as always.

Over the years, due to the closeness of some of the John's in age and fls. dates, various wife's and children have been assigned to more than one John Spencer or the wrong wife assigned to them , causing confusion. Finally we have a better understading of the relationship between these 6 John Spencer's. There are others of course named John but are not contemporaries, but some mentioned are one generation either side of the main contension group, so need to be mentioned.

The 7 are listed with basic info here and discussed further in my next post.

1. John Spencer Esq. b. ?? of Eton Socon and Blunham, Beds.
Entered Merchant Taylors School.on Aug. 1571

2. John Spencer ESQ., b. bef. 1500, d. of at Bramfield Manor,Herts. , his will was probated 24 November 1568 , late of Southmylls, Blunham . Gent. of Southmylles ,Beds. & Bramfield ,
John married = Ethelredea Baker, sister of the Mayor of Bedford.

3. John Spencer - fls. 1565., he d. 8 Jan 1583, his will was probated on 16 January 1584 he was a Grocer of St. Stephen Walbook and Citizen of London,
Had 2 wifes, Anne Clarke, she was buried 14 March 1580 and = Margaret______ after 1580, who according to John's will the 2nd wife Margerett bringing a large Dower / property upon marriage.

4. John Spencer, b. abt. 1482 d. 1534 "of Eaton Socun and Blunham", later to Chicksands, Beds., in 1525 where he was the "Prior of Chicksands" , Beds. as early as 1525, noted in other sources as being prior in 1526 and early 1534, he died in 1534. His son Richard followed as Prior of Chicksand.

5. John Spencer b. c. 1505 Southmylles, Beds, - buried: June 9, 1558 in Edworth = probably: Ann Agnes Cobb b. c. 1507- buried on 16 Jun 1560 at Edworth , "Widow" of Robert Merryll.

6. John Spencer , fls. in 1567, holding the Manor of Mardley, Hertforshire, (but of the Bedfordshire family" he = in 1586 Joan Burton, niece of Margaret Burton who was "Prioress" of Chicksands in 1538 when it was surrendered to the crown.

7. John Spencer - Gent.- of Southmylles, Beds, d. 16 Jan 1532, probated 05 Feb. 1532. =1. Anne Arnolds-, she was his cousin, dau. & heiress of Robert Arnolds. - Gent. of St. Neots.. John married 2nd = Christian Baker, sister of the Mayor of Bedford or Barford.

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 27, 2014, 2:21:45 PM4/27/14
How about the Spencers of Cople?

Do you have any of those emigrating from Britain to the American Colonies,
other than Nicholas Spencer?

DSH

“We stand for organized terror - this should be frankly admitted. Terror is
an absolute necessity during times of revolution. Our aim is to fight
against the enemies of the Soviet Government and of the new order of life.
We judge quickly. In most cases only a day passes between the apprehension
of the criminal and his sentence. When confronted with evidence, criminals
in almost every case confess; and what argument can have greater weight than
a criminal's own confession?”

Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky - Фе́ликс Эдму́ндович Дзержи́нский

"Robert Spencer" wrote in message

Robert Spencer

Apr 27, 2014, 7:17:39 PM4/27/14
Although Cople is associated with one of the more prominent branches of the family, perhaps a more appropriate name should be "Spencer's of Biggleswade Hundred".
The question of Cople first needs to be addressed, as more than one Spencer branch held minor parcels of land in Cople at some point in time, but if we use Rowlands Manor as the standard, and those descending from that branch then it can be only from descendants of a Robert Spencer, having said that he also held land in Bigglewade and Greater Barford as shown below..I hope this is the branch to which you refer. However this manor of Bryteville /Birchfiled in Greater Barford, is not to be confused by the other manor close by in Little Bardford (which lies below Bryteville) owned by a [Sir Hugh le Despenser, knt. who died 3 Hen. IV (1402 ) and was buried in the friars church at Stamford, see C 143/357/19 = Sybil, had a manor at Little Barford, Bedford. C 148/129.}

The line starts in Cople with Robert Spencer - b. abt. 1444, Gent. who d. 1520/21- will probated,= Anne Pecke d. abt. 1524 - will prob. 14 Dec. 1524,
= dau. & co-heiress of (Robert Pecke of Cople. Beds who held 1 Messauge and 1/2virgate of land at Cople (16S)), being the land next to this Robert Spencer). - vis. of 1566 names her as wife- proved.

Robert was an important founder of the " Fraternity and Guild of Bigglewade, we find him also holding land at Bigglewade as per " Biggleswade ( the Fraternity of Biggleswade) was a Grant of Guild at Biggleswade, Bedfordhsire, during the year 14 Edward IV = 1474/75 , Warden Brothers of the Holy Trinity in the Church of St. Andrew in Biggleswade, founded by King Edward and his wife Elizabeth, for the soul of the late Duke of York, father of said Edward. Under this is c. 1474/75 " the ferme of toft in the hands of Robert Spencer by yere as in
above said ijs. The ferme of vij acre of land ij pastures in the tenure of roger Longehorn by yere as is above said
the lands of the Brotherhood valued in -----.

Robert's name later occurs as holding land in Cople Beds. in 1501/2. (Feet of F. Beds. 17 Hen. VII.)

Robert also held 1 Close & 1/2 Virgate of land (13S).
Source for land: " Court of Augmentations Accounts for Bedfordshire Page # 202.
From: 'Parishes: Cople', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 238-242.
Inquest to determine holding s and heirs: Exch. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), file 16, no. 3. , mentions being in possession of Bryteville Manor. source: http://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php?title&action=edit&section=1

Robert fls. in 1473 /75 as per court case, defendant vs. his cousin John Spencer over the will of Thomas Spencer re: land use at Eton-Forde, Beds.) Source: as per court case, regarding: "land use at "Devil Hoe"- Eton-Forde, Beds." Beds. John was named of being of "Begwary, Beds." = NN Note: '''Source for court case of 1473,{National Archives C1/48/279 (1473-1575) Hamyldon vs. Isham
Plaintiffs''' William Hamyldon & John Spencer of Begwary,Beds. Executors of Thomas Spencer of Eaton Forde, Beds. Defendants: Robert Isham and Robert Spencer feoffes of the use of the Will of Thomas Spencer}

Other Properties: CP 25/1/6/82, number 23
Two weeks from St Martin, 16 Edward IV [25 November 1476].
Robert Spencer and John Tyler, clerk, querents, and Thomas Stevens and Margaret, his wife, deforciants.
Property: 1 messuage and 9 acres of land in Southmyll', Moggerhanger and Charlton'.
Action: Plea of covenant.
Agreement:
Thomas and Margaret have acknowledged the tenements to be the right of Robert, as those which Robert and John have of their gift, and have remised and quitclaimed them from themselves and the heirs of Margaret to Robert
and John and the heirs of Robert for ever.
Warranty.
For this: Robert and John have given them 20 pounds Stirling.
W47
H also he appears as a witness here :
Cardington Bury: Title Grant: Geo. Gascoigne esq. to Ric. St. George kt., Ric. Godfrey, John Mordaunt, John Rufford,
Wm. Mordaunt and Robt. Spencer.
The manor of Cardington Bury, according to the terms of the indentures of 4 Feb 1484 between the sd. Geo. Gascoigne and John Vynter of Cardington gent.[see W45].Date Free Text 10 Feb 1484

So as to your question, I have not purposely looked for those who may match up with those in the American colonies, but I intend to pursue it in the near future.. If we are strictly speaking "of Cople" then answer is No, However the following person may be of interest to you, although not descended from the Cople branch, he is related. George Spencer, bpt. 23 Apr 1603. He d. 1641 , immigrated to Boston, Mass, removed to New Haven CT., He was the first non-native hung in the colonies. His is a sad and unfortunate story that is taught in many law schools in the US. His parents were "James Spencer c. 04 mar 1562 Eaton Bray, Beds., who on Nov 26, 1586 in Kempston. Beds. = Margaret Brumley c. 7 Aug 1563 of Southill , who d. 18 Sept. 1649"
George had one daughter who did have issue in the colonies.
I hope this answers your question..I hope to in time find a few more..

Regards,
Robert

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 27, 2014, 7:37:28 PM4/27/14
To: Robert Spencer

Cheers & Thanks

This Robert Spencer is of some interest -- allegedly initially to Surry
County, Virginia -- perhaps also in Barbados at some point -- then allegedly
to Maryland

<http://www.geni.com/people/Capt-Robert-Spencer/6000000011171583335>

And here:

<http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lgmathis&id=I49727>

And here:

<http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/t/r/a/Julia-W-Trainor-Va/GENE2-0001.html>

Aloha,

D. Spencer Hines

“We stand for organized terror - this should be frankly admitted. Terror is
an absolute necessity during times of revolution. Our aim is to fight
against the enemies of the Soviet Government and of the new order of life.
We judge quickly. In most cases only a day passes between the apprehension
of the criminal and his sentence. When confronted with evidence, criminals
in almost every case confess; and what argument can have greater weight than
a criminal's own confession?”

Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky - Фе́ликс Эдму́ндович Дзержи́нский;

"Robert Spencer" wrote in message

Robert Spencer

Apr 27, 2014, 8:49:48 PM4/27/14
Thank you for your interest, for clarification for those following this thread, I believe you are referring to Nicholas below, not his (great-gf) Robert Spencer.

Nicholas Spencer Esq. bpt. 15 Nov. 1611 d. 1644 = married 1629 Ravensden Beds. to Mary Gostwick -- dau. of Sr. Edward Gostwick of Willington, Beds. He was a Merchant Taylor memeber, like many of his relatives.

I agree he is a very surprising adventurer and intersting person, however his uncle Arnold Spencer, who is relatively unknown was a very interesting character.

Arnold Spencer-Gent. bpt. 6 November 1587 at Cople, Beds, d. 03 February 1654 - PROB 11/236/147 - Will of Arnold Spencer, Gentleman of Eaton Socon, Bedfordshire.
In 1618, he was the Engineer who built the first sluices and the most advanced Pound locks in all of England on the River Ouse, Beds. by Kings Patents. His work was well known at the time.

Regards,
Robert

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 27, 2014, 9:29:36 PM4/27/14
Interesting.

Are you related, however distantly, to this Robert Spencer, brother of
Nicholas, who allegedly went to Surry County, Virginia?

Cheers,

D. Spencer Hines

“We stand for organized terror - this should be frankly admitted. Terror is
an absolute necessity during times of revolution. Our aim is to fight
against the enemies of the Soviet Government and of the new order of life.
We judge quickly. In most cases only a day passes between the apprehension
of the criminal and his sentence. When confronted with evidence, criminals
in almost every case confess; and what argument can have greater weight than
a criminal's own confession?”

Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky - Фе́ликс Эдму́ндович Дзержи́нский

"Robert Spencer" wrote in message

Robert Spencer

Apr 28, 2014, 5:03:27 AM4/28/14
The Robert Spencer mentioned as great grand father of Nicholas is the brother of Andrew Spencer (my ancestor)

This Andrew is detailed here:

Andrew Spencer of Eton-Socun, b. abt. 1446 fls. 1468, d. prior to 1518 = Margaret_______ d. April 1506, Margaret's will was probated 1506 and names son John Spencer Sr. and daughter who married a Wm. Reynolds.

Litigation case names him as a grand-father in 1518 who is already deceased. .
source: C 1/413/20
Short title: Gent v Reynold.
Plaintiffs: Edward Gent of Eaton Socon, baker, and Elizabeth, his wife, granddaughter and heir of Andrew Spencer.
Defendants: William Reynold, husbandman, son-in-law of the said Andrew.
Subject: Detention of deeds relating to land in Eaton Socon.
Bedfordshire. 4 documents
Date: 1515-16 8
CP 25/1/6/82, number 10: One month from St Michael, 8 Edward IV [27 October 1468].
Parties: John Forster, esquire, Robert Isham, clerk, and John Holcote, esquire, querents, and Andrew Spenser, deforciant.
Property: 1 messuage, 2 tofts, 100 acres of land, 10 acres of meadow, 8 acres of pasture, 1 acre of wood and 6 shillings of rent in Dyvelho, Stapilho, For the and Eton', which John Skynnar and Joan, his wife, hold for the life of Joan.
Action: Plea of covenant.Agreement: Andrew has acknowledged the tenements to be the right of Robert, and has granted for himself and his heirs that the tenements - which John Skynnar and Joan held for the life of Joan of the inheritance of Andrew on the day the agreement was made, and which after the decease of Joan ought to revert to Andrew and his heirs - after the decease of Joan shall remain to John Forstar, Robert and John Holcote and the heirs of Robert, to hold of the chief lords for ever.
Warranty: Warranty against George, abbot of Westminster, and his successors.
For this:John Forstar, Robert and John Holcote have given him 40 pounds sterling.

Robert Spencer

Apr 28, 2014, 3:41:44 PM4/28/14
I continue now my promise to detail each of the 7 John Spencer's of Blunham, Bedfordshire. I will start with no. 7, and work backwards. follow this thread to see the rest which will be posted during this week.

# 7. John Spencer - Gent.- of Southmylles, Beds, d. 16 Jan 1532, probated 05 Feb. 1532. =1. Anne Arnolds-, she was his cousin, dau. & heiress of Robert Arnolds. - Gent. of St. Neots.. John married 2nd = Christian Baker, sister of the Mayor of Bedford or Barford.

Source: Eng. 24, f, 23 pg. E 174 dIII, fls. in 1531 of Pavenham, Beds. - son and heir - Gent. Occupied Bryteville Manor in Great Bardford ,Beds. and Rowlands Manor, Cople, Beds. 1531

Source: Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), lxxxvi, 2.
From: 'Parishes: Cople', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 238-242.

Held land in Beds.- probably in Cople of 1 1/2 Acres, & 1 1/2 Rods., saying it was late of Arnoldes. Source: " Court of Augmentations Accounts for Bedfordshire Page # 201.

A 2nd source for 2nd wife: Litigation: C 1/778/16-18 Description: Short Title: Dale v Lewes.
Plaintiffs: Christine Dale, late the wife of John Spencer of Pavenham, gentleman, deceased.
Defendants: Francis Lewes.

So this means she survived him and remarried a ___ Dale.

Subject: Detention of deeds relating to a messuage and land bought of defendant in Harrold. Bedfordshire. Date: 1533-1538 These lands in Harrold are mentioned in John Spencer's will proving the litigation by Christine Dale naming the same land is in fact the same Christian Baker/ Christine Baker, as John Spencer's 2nd wife who survived him.

His probated will states his father as Robert Spencer. Proved!
His will names his son Thomas and 2 daughters. Proved.

2nd source: John's probated will states names of 2 wife's confirmed, Anne Arnolds and Christian "Christine" Baker who later married a Dale. His will also names John Spencer of Kempston, Beds. as a witness.

He had issue:

1. Sir. Thomas Spencer c. 20 May 1514 d. 3 Dec 1547, (from 1st wife) = about 1526 in Burgate, Ann Buckley- who was buried at Cople, Beds, 28 Jan 1590, heiress and dau. of Robert Buckley of Burgate, Southhampton Sources : Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), lxxxvi, 2.There is a brass to his memory in the south aisle of the church (Gent. Mag.1826, pt. i, 501).
From: 'Parishes: Cople', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 238-242.
Ann Buckely married 2nd = Walter Luke of Cople.

Litigation: C 1/814/23
Plaintiffs: Edmund Harvy (?), esquire, guardian of Thomas Spencer.

Defendants: John Mordaunt, lord Mordaunt, William Gascoigne, knight, Richard Slade, and John Colbecke.

Source: Death date given from plaque in Cople church giving exact date of 30 Dec 1547, having 1 son and 2 daughters.

Subject: Detention of goods and of deeds relating to the manors of Cople and Barford, and land and rent there and in Honeydon, Beggary, and Ford (in Eaton Socon), St Neots (Saynt Edes), Eynesbury, Weald and Caldecote (in Eynesbury), Great and Little Paxton, Odell, Little Brickhill, Elstow, Southmills and Stockton. Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Huntingdonshire.
Date: 1533-1538

2. Eliz. Spencer = John Slade

3. Rose Spencer = John Colbecke

This should clear up who Christian / Christine Baker was and the fact she had no children by this John Spencer and is not the same person as Eltheredea Baker who married a another John Spencer.

Regards, Robert

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 28, 2014, 4:05:47 PM4/28/14
Very interesting...

Then we have this Captain Robert Spencer [c.1635-c.1678], alleged brother of
the quite well-known in Virginia, Colonel Nicholas Spencer [1633-1689].

Are they two of yours?

The Robert Spencer you mention below is Robert Spencer [1527-1620],
Great-Grandfather of both Captain Robert Spencer [c.1635-c.1678] and Colonel
Nicholas Spencer [1633-1689]?...

...And Andrew Spencer, his brother, is your ancestor?

Perhaps a 14th-15th Great-Grandfather or so?

Aloha,

DSH

"I don't care a twopenny damn what becomes of the ashes of Napoleon
Buonaparte." ---- Attributed to Arthur Wellesley, [1769-1852] Duke of
Wellington

"Robert Spencer" wrote in message

Robert Spencer

Apr 28, 2014, 4:46:09 PM4/28/14
I do apologize Mr. Hines, I misread your statement regarding a Robert Spencer who went to Surrey. I now realize it was a more recent Robert Spencer.. I notice in the links that his father was named Edmund Spencer..
Spenser detailed below..

Edmund Spencer 4 September 1588 (twin) of Eton-Socon, his father being William Spencer detailed below..

William W. Spencer of Beds,c. 03 Sept. 1576 d. 1635, who indeed went to the Colonies, I had forgotten about him marrying Alice Lightfoot.

The family is detailed here, however the direct Cople link is missing, however a strong Merchant Taylor link is present between these two families. As Nicholas of Cople had connections to same, and they are cousins.

John Spencer Esq. b. of Eton Socon and Blunham, Beds.
Entered Merchant Taylors School.on aug. 1571. = 4th dau. of William Gery and (Rebecca Shaw who was dau. of Richard Shaw and Eliz. Cavendish) , Rebecca being 1st cousin to Countess of Shrewsbury on her mothers side. Her father William Gery was holding the land lease of Honyden, Beds. in 1570.

SourceS: 130Ct. of Req. bdle. 96, no. 43
Source : Gery of Bushmead, Eton-Socon, Beds.A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain, Volume
From: 'Parishes: Eaton Socon', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 189-202. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42414 Date accessed: 01 November 2013.
The Baronetage of England, Or the History of the English Baronets ..., Volume 5 page 529.
A Register of the Scholars Admitted Into Merchant Taylor's School , Volume 1

William W. Spencer of Beds, c. 03 Sept. 1576 d. 1635 = Alice Lightfoot

Edmund Spencer 4 September 1588 (twin) of Eton-Socon - is this perhaps the Edmund , father of Robert Spencer abot. whom you inquire..

Robert Spencer

Apr 28, 2014, 5:16:09 PM4/28/14
More on William:

William Spencer is listed in the Muster of 1624/25 at James Island (Jamestown) with his wife, Alice, and their daughter, Alice, aged four years; son William listed among the dead at Jamestown. It was also noted that the family was well supplied, having ten barrels of corn, 200 fish, and for their protection ammunition consisting of four pounds of powder, eight pounds of shot and three "peeces," along with twelve swine, three goats and two kids. They also had two dwelling houses and one boat.

SOURCE: Nugent, Nell Marion. Cavaliers and Pioneers, Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents 1623-1666. Baltimore: Genealogy Publishing Co., Inc., vol. I, p. 3. (Patent Bk. 1, p. 9)

14 Aug. 1624 - William Spencer, Yeoman & Ancient Planter 12 acs James City. Part of his first divident within the island, towards Goose Hill, near land of Sir Thos. Dale & John Lytefoote. Due for this personal adventure. Land measured by William Claybourne. Fee Rent: 3 pence. Marginal Note: "which is to bee abated out of his dividend at Spencers hole."

NOTE: The neighbor, John Lytefoot (Lightfoot), was dead by 21 January 1628 for on that date Nicholas Spencer testifies in Court that John Lytefoote was sick and before he died he told the persons around him that he wanted William Spencer to have everything he had. Several witnesses testified to the same and property of John Lytefoote was awarded to William Spencer by the Court (Minutes of the Council and General Court of Colonial Virginia. p. 181). Some have speculated that the surname of William Spencer's wife, Alice, was Lightfoot.

SOURCE: Nugent, Nell M. op cit. p. 16. (Patent Bk. 1,p. 120

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 28, 2014, 5:18:37 PM4/28/14
De nada..

"William W. Spencer of Beds, c. 03 Sept. 1576 d. 1635 = Alice Lightfoot"

Edmund Spencer 4 September 1588 (twin) of Eton-Socon - is this perhaps the
Edmund, father of Robert Spencer about. whom you inquire..?"

Perhaps...

What is the twin's name -- or do we know?

Other sources seem to have the father of Captain Robert Spencer
[c.1635-c.1678] and Colonel Nicholas Spencer [1633-1689]?...

...As Nicholas Spencer II [1582-1631] and their mother as Mary [Gostwick]
Spencer [1612-1694].

Do you lend any credence to that? It looks dodgy to me. Perhaps
genealogical gluing on to the Spencers of Cople.

Merchant Taylors -- Fascinating History

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worshipful_Company_of_Merchant_Taylors>

Concordia Parvae Res Crescunt

Cheers,

[...]

Robert Spencer

Apr 28, 2014, 5:23:32 PM4/28/14
Name of Twin of Edmund Spencer as requested:

Dorothea Spencer c. 21 September 1588( twin) of Eton-Socon = John Abbott on 12 November 1627 Eaton Socon, Beds.

Robert Spencer

Apr 28, 2014, 5:33:39 PM4/28/14
Family of Nicholas Spencer detailed below:

Nicholas Spencer Esq. bpt. 15 Nov. 1611 d. 1644 = married 1629 Ravensden Beds. to Mary Gostwick -- dau. of Sr. Edward Gostwick of Willington, Beds. A Merchant Taylor Member.

Shildren:

1. William Spencer. b. 14 Dec 1632 d. 10 Apr. 1686 of Rowlands Manor, Cople, Bes. = in 1661, Katherine Wentworth b.1638 , dau. of Rt. Hon. Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl Cleveland, he had possession of Codham Hall in Essex, via his wife Katherine. William Spencer - attended Merchant Talyor School.

2. Nicholas Spencer Esq. d. 25 April 1699, held lands in Blunham, and Barford, & Cople, Beds = Frances Mottram

3. Michael Spencer c. 2 Sept. 1556, at St. Mary's , Bedford, Beds.of Eastwick, Herts, named in fathers will fls. 1644. left 500 pounds.

4. Robert bpt. 5 May 1635

5. Edward Spencer

6. Mary Spencer

#2. The son Nicholas had issue:

a. Mottrom Spencer d. 24 Oct 1691 in Virginia. = Jane
b. Nicholas Spencer , inherited lands in Nominy
c. Francis Spencer , inherited 5,000 acres
d. William Spencer Esq. . heir of his uncle William, held Codham Manor, Essex.

Robert Spencer

Apr 28, 2014, 5:41:02 PM4/28/14
Perhaps there was confusion with 2 Nicholas Spencer's, as the great uncle of Edmund Spencer was also named Nicholas and he is detailed below:

Nicholas Spencer b. abt. 1532 Bedfordshire, London Menrchant= Dorothy Malton on 21 Oct. 1566,, his will probated 1599 London, He was a Warden and later Master of the Merchant Taylors in 1588. That would explain the confusion perhaps.

This is not the Nicholas Spencer of Cople.

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 28, 2014, 5:45:24 PM4/28/14
Edmund Spencer 4 September 1588 (twin) of Eton-Socon -

Dorothea Spencer c. 21 September 1588( twin) of Eton-Socon = John Abbott on
12 November 1627 Eaton Socon, Beds.

Those two don't quite seem to match up as twins do they.

Cheers,

DSH

"I don't care a twopenny damn what becomes of the ashes of Napoleon
Buonaparte." ---- Attributed to Arthur Wellesley, [1769-1852] Duke of
Wellington

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 28, 2014, 5:56:37 PM4/28/14
Interesting..

However, these two:

Captain Robert Spencer [c.1635-c.1678], alleged brother of the quite
well-known in Virginia, Colonel Nicholas Spencer [1633-1689] cannot be
provably connected to this Family below?

Or are they perhaps children #2 and #4 below, both in the colonies?
------------------------------- --------------------

Family of Nicholas Spencer detailed below:

Nicholas Spencer Esq. bpt. 15 Nov. 1611 d. 1644 = married 1629 Ravensden
Beds. to Mary Gostwick -- dau. of Sr. Edward Gostwick of Willington, Beds. A
Merchant Taylor Member.

Children:

Robert Spencer

Apr 28, 2014, 6:00:26 PM4/28/14
Seems bapt. on different days, I admit, I will double check as to why ..but were born same day I believe, or the mother really suffered a long labour.

Robert Spencer

Apr 29, 2014, 7:00:17 AM4/29/14

Seems there were 2 William Spencer's. This William was not transferred from my older chart to the latest. He is indeed a son of Thomas Spencer of Cople.

William Spencer b. abt. 1570 Jamestown, Virginia. = Alice Lightfoot

William Spencer is listed in the Muster of 1624/25 at James Island (Jamestown) with his wife, Alice, and their daughter, Alice, aged four years; son William listed among the dead at Jamestown. It was also noted that the family was well supplied, having ten barrels of corn, 200 fish, and for their protection ammunition consisting of four pounds of powder, eight pounds of shot and three "peeces," along with twelve swine, three goats and two kids. They also had two dwelling houses and one boat.

SOURCE: Nugent, Nell Marion. Cavaliers and Pioneers, Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents 1623-1666. Baltimore: Genealogy Publishing Co., Inc., vol. I, p. 3. (Patent Bk. 1, p. 9)

But as s far as a Capt. Robert Spencer , I don't have anything on him, in a quick search I saw indications his father was an Edmund Spencer, therefore I gave you info from the only Edmund I had whose father was William, sorry for misunderstanding..

The other William Spencer, is son of John Spencer, whom I have as "William W. Spencer, c. 03 Sept. 1576 d. 1635 = NN of Eaton Socun had these children:

1. Timothy Spencer c. 24 Jan 1590 Eastwick
2. Walter Spencer of Eton-Socon and Barford, Beds, he is named in the will of Fitzjeoffrie of Barford, Beds. in 1618 as a Gent. = NN
3. Thomas Spencer c. 28 Mar 1597 Eastwick,Herts
4. Andrew Spencer Gent. of Eton-Socon d.25 Jun 1619 at Roxton, Bedford
5. Nathaniel Spencer c. 02 Dec 1593 Eastwick
6. Thomas Spencer bpt. 1590 of Eton-Socon, died young
7. John Spencer c. 04 Feb 1593 of Eton-Socon
8. Anna c. 16 Apr 1591
9. Edmund Spencer 4 September 1588 (twin) of Eton-Socon
10.Dorothea Spencer September 1588( twin) of Eton-Socon = John Abbott on
12 November 1627 at Eaton Socon.

Robert Spencer

Apr 29, 2014, 7:31:22 AM4/29/14
Continuing with the article of the another of the 7 John Spencer's of Blunham, Beds. I detail below the family of # 6 of the list.

John Spencer , fls. in 1567, holding the Manor of Mardley, Hertforshire, (but of the Bedfordshire family" he = in 1586 Joan Burton, niece of Margaret Burton who was "Prioress" of Chicksands in 1538 when it was surrendered to the crown.

Had 3 Children:

1. Robert Spencer "Eldest", retained portions of the Mardley estate, siezed of the liberty of Mardley in 1614 -1617.
......his son : Robert Spencer = Elizabeth ( she was named in litigation in 1631. held parcels of the Manor oin 1632-33. This Robert then had a son: William Spencer, fls. in 1682 at Wolmer Green, Weylen, Herts. = Margaret. This William then had a son: John Spencer - Lord of the Manor of Mardley in 1697-8, in 1700, sold the manor to Sir. William Litton.

2. William Spencer, retained a portion of the Estate....He had a son: John Spencer c. 8 Apr. 1627 Weylen, Herts.

3. Henry Spencer, youngest son, was alive in 1614, died dsp, sine prole, 1616-1617.

The John of this article is the son of Richard Spencer b. c. 1503, named in 1534, as the "Prior" of Chicksands, Beds. Gilbertine Order. When John Spencer (his father) the previous Prior died in early 1534, he replaced him.

Sources: Convocation Lists, L. and P. Hen. VIII. iv. 6047, pages 596 and 597.

This John is also the grandson of # 4 on the list: John Spencer, Sr. abt. 1482 d. 1434."of Eaton Socun and Blunham", later to Chicksands, Beds., in 1525 where he was the "Prior of Chicksands" , Beds. as early as 1525, noted in other sources as being prior in 1526 and early 1534, he died in 1534. His son Richard followed as Prior of Chicksand.

The estate and manor of Mardley was owned by the Hotoft family who was connected to the ancient le Despenser family.

Robert Spencer

Apr 29, 2014, 10:06:40 AM4/29/14
Continuing with the article of the another of the 7 John Spencer's of Blunham, Beds. I detail below the family of # 5 of the list. One that many are probably most interested in is detailed below. He is the son of # 4 John Spencer Sr. listed in the 1st post.

John Spencer b. abt. 1505 Southmylles, Beds, - buried: June 9, 1558 in Edworth = Ann Agnes Cobb b. abt. 1507- buried on 16 Jun 1560 at Edworth , "Widow" of Robert Merryll.

In Ann's Will she refers to Edward Merryll, as "my brother Edward" , this is fairly common at the time to refer to a "brother-in law" as a brother especially in Wills. Note : Anne "Annis"/ Agnes Cobb appears in the 1564 Bedfordshire Visitation under the Cobbe Family, 2 generations back, married to Robert Merryell.

Date: 1525: In a litigation case it infers his father is a "John Sr." was of Blunham, SouthMylles, Beds. and John Jr. being of Kempston, Beds. as plaintiffs against 3 Gentleman of Beds. and Northants, for monies owed them"

John Spencer and Ann leased land at Edworth "600 acres". from Robert Parrys- Lord of the Manor. This Robert Parrys was married to John's kin "Elizabeth Spencer".

"A John Spencer of Kempston" is named in the probated will of John Spencer of Pavenham who married Ann Arnolds. The John Spencer of Pavenham is the grand father of the Elizabeth who married Robert Parrys mentioned above.

Source is below.
PROB 11/50/372 source: PROB 11 Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers.

His children:

1. Michael Spencer b. abt. May 1531 at Edworth , married 2 times = (1st wife on 22 Jan 1555 in Stotfold to Agnes(LIMER?) of Beds) Agnes bur. at Edworth, 23 Feb 1562., = 2nd wife Elizabeth __________ in 1563,
Elizabeth bur. at Stotfold, in 18 Nov 1599;
In his will, he referred to himself as a yeoman. he died after 1599. Probably bur. at Biggleswade, Beds. He had issue:

1a. Gerard Spencer (from 2nd wife of his father ) was baptized at St. Mary the Virgin Church at Stotfold, Bedfordshire on 20 May 1576. died sometime before 1625 in Bedfordshire as per the litigation source. He married Alice Whitbread a daughter of John Whitbread and Eleanor Hill. Alice was born at Meppershall, she was bapt. 17 OCT 1571 in Maulden, Bedfordshire. 1580. She died in May 1646. Gerard and Alice were married on 10 November 1600 at St. Giles Church at Upper Gravenhurst, Bedfordshire. She belonged to a family of considerable prominence. The name Gravenhurst dates from Saxon times and was from medieval times a center for brick making. The Whitbread arms were: Azure a chevron between 3 hinds' heads erased gules. The crest was a hinds' head erased gules. The motto: Virtue Non Astutia. In 1615 Gerard leased his land in Stotfold to his brother Thomas in London. The following year he conveyed these lands to Thomas. Litigation C 2/JasI/S30/10
Short title: Spencer v Spencer.
Plaintiffs: Alice Spencer, late the wife of Garrard Spencer.
Defendants: Thomas Spencer.( Alice's brother -in law)
Subject: messuage (15-30 acres) and land in Stotfold, Bedfordshire.
Date: 1603-1625
They had Issue:

1a1. William Spencer b. April 1601, was baptized at Stotfold, Bedfordshire on 11 October 1601. - He entered the Merchant Taylors School in 1612-13. William Spencer's will was dated 4 March 1641 in Simsbury, Hartford Co, CT, He matriculated at Trinity College, Cambridge. He married at Stotfold in 1633
Agnes Harris,daughter of Bartholomew Harris, yeoman, Mayor of Barnstaple, County Devon, England and his wife, Elizabeth (Collamore) Harris. Agnes Pratt was a witness.
Agnes was christened on 6 April 1604 at Barnstaple. Agnes had a brother, Richard and a sister, Priscilla. William was a Deputy to the General Court of Massachusetts from 1634 until 1637. He was a member of the committee formed to frame a body of fundamental laws for the Colony of Massachusetts.
In March 1636 William was appointed Lieutenant of the Military Company of New Town. On 13 March he was founder of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Boston. William Spencer's will was dated 4 March 1641.
He was given a silver spoon being the god-son of Elenor Whitbread, source: from the probated will dated 18 April, 1629. of Elenor Whitbread.

1a2. Sgt. Thomas Spencer bapt. 09 March 1607 in Stotfold, d. 11 Sep 1687 in Hartford,, Connecticut= Thomas signed a will on 9 Sep 1686 in Hartford, Connecticut. He married (1) Sarah Bearding; married (2) Ann Derfield in 1632. She died abt. 1674. He was left 46s and 8 d, from the probated will dated 18 April, 1629. of Elenor Whitbread.

1a3. Michael Spencer, born May 05, 1611 in Stotfold, Bedfordshire, England; died May 06, 1653 in Lynn, Essex Co, MA; married Isabel; died Oct 09, 1674 in Salem, Essex Co, MA.

1a4. Ensign Garrard Spencer, bapt. 25 April 1614 at St. Mary's in Stotfold; made and signed a will in 1683. d. 23 June 1685 in Haddam, Connecticut. His will was probated in 1685. = (1)Hannah Hill (2)Hannah Pratt on 22 Dec 1680, His signature , clearly shows his name as Garrard.
Note :In the Stotfold church records his bpt., it says he is styled in Latin as "Garrardus", and his father styled as "Geraldi", what we should make of this is up for discussion, but clearly the recorder seemed to feel the names differed.

1a5. John Spencer, c. Jan 22, 1604 in Stotfold, Bedfordshire, England.

1a6. Rachael Spencer, c. Oct 31, 1602 in Stotfold, Bedfordshire, England; died Mar 24, 1608/09 in Stotfold.

1a7. Henry Spencer bpt. 11 Aug 1605 in Stotfold d. Oct 1607, Burial: 20 Oct 1607 in Stotfold.

1a8. Richard Spencer bpt. 11 Dec 1608 d.6 May 1614. Burial: 06 May 1614

1a9. Elizabeth Spencer = Timothy Tomlyns

1b. Edward Spencer,now proven at Stotfold in 1602, Parish records as his daughter was bpt. there. He is a previously unknown son of Michael. His dau. being Elizabeth bpt. in 1602 at Stofold..

1c. Richard Spencer Gentleman of London c. 9 July 1580 at Stotfold, d. at London in 1646 , his will was probated 08 June 1646 and names many relatives.

1d. Thomas Spencer bpt. 12 March , c. 28 January 1570 d.1631= NN this Thomas had issue.

1d1. Thomas Spencer Jr. Inherited from his uncle Richard Spencer, copyhold lands and tenements by , situate in Kingsbury Street near St. Albans, in the county of Hertford, in the parish of St. Michael = Sarah

1d2. Anthony Spencer = m. at Stotfold, 7 Feb 1632/3, Katherine Hill d. abt. 1646 =2nd Maria. This Anthony had many issue:
1d2a. John Spencer 15 Apr 1634 Hinxworth, Herts
1d2b. Susanna Spenser 03 Jul 1636 Hinxworth, Herts.
1d2c. Thomas Spencer 12 May 1639 Hinxworth, Herts
1d2d. Margaret Spencer Date 06 Sep 1640 Hinxworth,Herts.
1d2e. Thomas Spencer 24 Jun 1643 Hinxworth, Herts.
1d2f. Anthony Spencer 18 September 1645 Hinxworth, Herts.
1d2g. Richard Spencer (from 2nd wife)11 Sep 1647 Hinxworth, Herts.
1d2h. Maria Spencer 15 May 1649 Hinxworth, Herts.
1d2h. Elizabeth Spencer 10 Jun 1652 Hinxworth, Herts.
1d2i. Anna Spencer 10 Jun 1652 Hinxworth, Herts.

1d3. Garrard Spencer c. 20 September 1601 at Stotfold, Beds. = Joan Hill, he had issue:
1d3a. Ann bpt. 14 May 1629
1d3b. Elizabeth bpt. 17 Jan 1630
1d3c. Ursula bpt. 18 Apr 1633
1d3d. Sarah bpt. 21 July 1639
1d3e. Richard Spencer bpt. 05 Nov 1643
1d3f. John Spencer bpt. 04 Apr 1646

1e. John Spencer b. Apr. 20, 1557. He had issue:

1e1. Francis Spencer, b. Oct 1595 d. at London in 1636; m. Margaret Marler of Lydeard, Wilts. - attended Merchant Taylor School in 1606 at age 11

In his will of 7 Apr 1636, proved 24 Oct 1636 (Waters, op. cit., 627), he describes himself as citizen and brewer of London, and as of the parish of St. Giles without Cripplegate. He mentions his estate in Hitchin, co. Hertford, and names his wife and the four children below; and appoints as overseers his uncle Richard Spencer, citizen and haberdasher of London, and his brother Daniel Spencer, citizen and grocer of London. Issue: Thomas, Susan, Elizabeth, Agnes.

1e2. Daniel Spencer d. 1668, a grocer, of London; He was chief heir of his uncle Richard = Sarah Audley of Hitchinat Holwell, 28 Dec 1626 at Holwell, Bedfordshire, England. E 115/342/65 :Description: Certificate of residence showing Daniel Spencer to be liable for taxation in London, and not in [Hertfordshire], the previous area of tax liability. (Any information not given in this certificate comes from its old pouch, no 290.)
Date: 17 Charles I Date: 1641-1642 he had issue:

1e2a. Daniel Spencer 04 Jun 1628:He had issue,a son:
1e2a1. Daniel Spencer, bpt. 28 Oct 1646,
1e2b. Sarah Spencer 23 Jul 1629
1e2c. Ann Spencer 27 Jul 1636

1f. Catherine Spencer = Mr. Bland, They had issue:
1f1. Sarah (not married as of 1646) inherited from Uncle Richard Spencer messuage or tenement situated in Grace Church Street, near the great Inn called the Crosse Keys, late in the tenure of William Toone or his assigns, to be equally divided between them, by the rents
1f2. Hannah (not married as of 1646) inherited from Uncle Richard Spencer messuage or tenement situated in Grace Church Street, near the great Inn called the Crosse Keys, late in the tenure of William Toone or his assigns, to be equally divided between them, by the rents.

1g. Joan Spencer bpt. Aug. 21, 1564 in Edworth= Edw Hawkins Or Hakins on 1 April 1627 Kempston,Bedford

2. Garrard Spencer b. abt. 1543 d. at Biggleswade, Beds, Will probated 28 January 1577 = Helen Whyston . He had issue:
2a. Richard Spencer
2b. Agnes Spencer = on 22 Oct 1599 at Blunham,Bedford to Thomas Thorpe
2c. John Spencer bur. 21 Apr 1560 -died very young

3. William Spencer b. abt. 1545 He settled in St. Albans and in time he became one of the chief Burgesses and afterwards Mayor in 1604 of St. Albans, Herts. source list of Mayors since 1553: source: An historical and topographical description of the municipium of ancient St. Albans. He had issue:

3a. Richard Spencer b. 21 March 1566

3b. Abraham Spencer b. 16 Sept. 1580 of Hertford, pleb. of Trinity College, BA 1603 , MA 1607. Vicar at St. Michaels 1617, St. Albans, Hertsford , Vicar also of Elstree in 1618, Herts. before his cousin Arnold Spencer replaced him as Vicar of Elstree Herts. in 1663.

The lines of some certainly, but are already covered elsewhere, and need not to be extended in this article. Any comments, corrections are welcome.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Spencer

Apr 29, 2014, 10:20:47 AM4/29/14

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 29, 2014, 11:58:15 AM4/29/14
Thanks very much.

More grist for the mill...

"William Spencer b. abt. 1570 [sic] Jamestown, Virginia. = Alice Lightfoot"

That doesn't seem to compute, since Jamestown was not settled successfully
by Brits until 1607.

This Andrew is your ancestor -- perhaps a 10th Great-Grandfather or so?

"4. Andrew Spencer Gent. of Eton-Socon d. 25 Jun 1619 at Roxton, Bedford"

Cheers,

DSH

"I don't care a twopenny damn what becomes of the ashes of Napoleon
Buonaparte." ---- Attributed to Arthur Wellesley, [1769-1852] Duke of
Wellington

"Robert Spencer" wrote in message

Robert Spencer

Apr 30, 2014, 9:01:06 AM4/30/14
On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:58:15 PM UTC-3, D. Spencer Hines wrote:
> Thanks very much.
>

> More grist for the mill...

> "William Spencer b. abt. 1570 [sic] Jamestown, Virginia. = Alice Lightfoot"
>

> That doesn't seem to compute, since Jamestown was not settled successfully
>
> by Brits until 1607.

> This Andrew is your ancestor -- perhaps a 10th Great-Grandfather or so?
>

> "4. Andrew Spencer Gent. of Eton-Socon d. 25 Jun 1619 at Roxton, Bedford"
>

> Cheers,
>

> DSH

Sorry , wrong Andrew, my Ancestor is Andrew outlined below, much older..

Andrew Spencer of Eton-Socun, b. abt. 1446 fls. 1468, d. prior to 1518 = Margaret_______ d. April 1506, Margaret's will was probated 1506 and names son John Spencer Sr. and daughter who married a Wm. Reynolds.

Litigation case names him as a grand-father in 1518 already deceased. .
C 1/413/20
Short title: Gent v Reynold.
Plaintiffs: Edward Gent of Eaton Socon, baker, and Elizabeth, his wife, granddaughter and heir of Andrew Spencer.
Defendants: William Reynold, husbandman, son-in-law of the said Andrew.
Bedfordshire. 4 documents

D. Spencer Hines

Robert Spencer

May 1, 2014, 6:54:01 AM5/1/14
"Yes, I had hoped this new Andrew might also be an ancestor of yours."

Andrew Spencer, is 18 generations back from me. He is the father of John Spencer #4 of the original post..detailed below.

4. John Spencer, b. abt. 1482 d. 1534 "of Eaton Socun and Blunham", later to Chicksands, Beds., in 1525 where he was the "Prior of Chicksands" , Beds. as early as 1525,he is noted in other sources as being prior in 1526 and early 1534, he died in 1534. His son Richard followed as Prior of Chicksands.

I am wondering if you have anything on this Robert Spencer of Beds. he is detailed here:

Robert Spencer b. bef. 1417, he was at least 20 in 1437, he fls. in 1437, of Colmworth, named on a petition dated of 1437 at the death of the Duke of Bedford.
He d. abt. 1477. holding * cert. land in Cople, Beds. (13S) Source for land: " Court of Augmentations - Accounts for Bedfordshire Page 202.

Also you may be interested in another Andrew Spencer of Bedfordshire, he is possibly the great grandfather of the other Andrew listed here.. he is detailed here:

Andrew Spencer b. abt. 1360 of Eton-Socun - he was the tax collector for Bedfordshire , named in doc. Calendar of the Fine Rolls Preserved in the Public Record Office - dated year 1406.

Best Regards,
Robert

Robert Spencer

May 1, 2014, 7:20:07 AM5/1/14
Continuing the detailing of the 7 John Spencer's of Blunham, Beds. I now detail # 4 named in the first post. His son being # 5 on the list and his grandson being # 6 on the list.

4. John Spencer, Sr. abt. 1482 d. 1434."of Eaton Socun and Blunham", later to Chicksands, Beds., in 1525 where he was the "Prior of Chicksands" , Beds. as early as 1525, noted in other sources as being prior in 1526 and early 1534, he died in 1534. His son Richard followed as Prior of Chicksand.

Sources: Convocation Lists, L. and P. Hen. VIII. iv. 6047, pages 596 and 597.

Date: 1525: A litigation case states his father "John Sr." was of Blunham, SouthMylles, Beds. and John Jr. of Kempston, Beds.: as plaintiffs against 3 Gentleman of Beds. and Northants, for monies owed them.

He is named in his mother Margaret's will probated:1506, as being John Spencer Sr., so he must have had a son born by same name bef. 1506.

He had issue:

1. John Spencer b. c. 1505 Southmylles, Beds, - buried: June 9, 1558 in Edworth = 2 possibilities for his wife are Anne Merryll or the "Annis"/ Agnes Cobb b. c. 1507- buried on 16 Jun 1560 at Edworth , "Widow" of Robert Merryll.

In Ann's Will she refers to Edward Merryll, as "my brother Edward" , this is fairly common at the time to refer to a "brother-in law" as a brother especially in Wills. Note : Annis / Agnes Cobb appears in the 1564 Bedfordshire Visitation under the Cobbe Family, 2 generations back, married to Robert Merryell.

Date: 1525: Litigation case states his father "John Sr." was of Blunham, SouthMylles, Beds. and John Spencer Jr. of Kempston, Beds.: as plaintiffs against 3 Gentleman of Beds. and Northants, for monies owed them"

He was probably the John Spencer who after the dissolution of lesser monasteries in 1536, leased the Woods of Clopham priory, rents in Milton Harnes and Thurley, and in the parish of Clopham, the rectory of clopham, At the dissolution their property in Milton and Thurleigh was valued at £1 17s. 10d. per annum, which was at one time part of the priory of Caldwell in Blunham,Beds., as reported in 36 Henry VIII (22 Apr 1544- 22 Apr 1545) stating it was "rated for John Spencer".

Source: REPORTS AND COMMISSIONERS published 1848, Search Google Books and Wikipedia; Confirming source: Parliamentary Papers, House of Commons and Command, Volume 38

This land formed part of the grant made by Henry VIII to Henry Audely and John Maynard. Sometime after John Spencer's lease expired, he removed to Edworth.

From: '42402 Parishes: Milton Ernest', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 143-149. V130L. and P. Hen. VIII, xx (1), g. 465(99 From: 'Parishes: Milton Ernest', 42402 A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 143-149

John Spencer and Ann leased land at Edworth "600 acres". from Robert Parrys- Lord of the Manor Robert Parrys was married to John's kin "Elizabeth Spencer".

"John Spencer of Kempston" is named in the probated will of John Spencer of Pavenham who married Ann Arnolds.
Source: PROB 11/50/372 source: PROB 11 Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers. He is already detailed in another post.

2. Richard Spencer b. c. 1503, named in 1534, as the "Prior" of Chicksands, Beds. Gilbertine Order. When John Spencer (his father) the previous Prior died in early 1534, he replaced him.
Sources: Convocation Lists, L. and P. Hen. VIII. iv. 6047, pages 596 and 597.

2a. John Spencer , fls. in 1567, holding the Manor of Mardley, Hertforshire, he = Joan Burton in 1586, niece of Margaret Burton who was "Prioress" of Chicksands in 1538 when it was surrendered to the crown.
Source: Convocation Lists, L. and P. Hen. VIII. iv. 6047, pages and 597 and 598. An ancestor John Burton was also a Prior of Chicksands. Mardley Manor was previously owned by the Forster family in 1554, who has had other dealings with the Spencer family.. this John Spencer is already detailed further in previous post.

3. Elizabeth b. before 1497= Edward Gent ( Baker of Eton Socun) Elizabeth Spencer named as grand daughter of Andrew Spencer in 1518 litigation.

Regards, Robert

D. Spencer Hines

May 1, 2014, 9:07:06 AM5/1/14
Vide infra.

"Yes, I had hoped this new Andrew might also be an ancestor of yours."

Andrew Spencer, is 18 generations back from me. He is the father of John
Spencer #4 of the original post..detailed below.

***O.K. -- So he is your 16th Great-Grandfather.

[...]

***No, I don't have anything to add on them.

However, I'll soon post on another Robert Spencer.

Warm Aloha,

Spencer

Best Regards,
Robert

Message has been deleted

Robert Spencer

May 1, 2014, 11:09:26 AM5/1/14
Continuing with the & John Spencer's of Blunhan, beds. I now detail #3 John Spencer on the list. He has been confused with the #5 John Spencer, who is ancestor of the 4 Spencer brothers of the great migration.

#3. John Spencer - fls. 1565., he d. 8 Jan 1583, his will was probated on 16 January 1584 he was a Grocer of St. Stephen Walbook and Citizen of London, he had 2 wifes, Anne Clarke, she was buried 14 March 1580 and he married 2nd = Margaret______ after 1580, who according to John's will the 2nd wife Margerett brought with her a large Dower / property upon marriage. This John Spencer is the son of the # 2 John Spencer-Gent of the first post.

Litigation: C 3/157/3
Short title: Skegges v Spencer.
Plaintiffs: Edward Skegges. Defendants: John Spencer and others.
Subject: manor and parsonage of and property in Bramfield, Stapleford, Bengoe, Tewin and Hertford, Hertfordshire. dated:1558-1579
Source for death date of John: is church registry St. Stephen Walbook compiled by his son - in law.
His will mentions a brother "Robert Spencer" and sister Ann, at time of his will, his other brother William had already died prior to the date of the his Will..

He had issue:

1. John Spencer c.31 Dec 1565 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London

2. Elizabeth Spencer c. 22 Jun 1567 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London Buried: 3 Nov1568

3. Christian c. 27 Jul 1568, St. Stephen, Walbrook, London(of 1st Wife)= Reynold Green on 19 Jul 1585 - Merchant, he was buried 2 Nov 1624
Reynold Greene was a churchwarden of ST STEPHEN WALBROOK and he is named as recording the church registry so he knows this family, so no question of children listed as siblings of his wife.

Children: Margaret Green, John Green, Sara Green, Elizabeth Green, Thomas Green, Sara Green, Christian Green, Mary Green, James Green, Jane Green

Source: https://archive.org/stream/registersofstste49stst#page/n9/mode/2up based on 1598 comparing of old registry books.

4. Jane c. 5 Jan 1570 , St. Stephen, Walbrook, London, Middlesex, England = Richard Cockeran

5. Mary (of 1st wife)= John Ballard

6. Thomas Spencer c.21 Sep 1572
St. Stephen, Walbrook, London

7. Ann Spencer c. 23 Nov 1569 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London

8. Lucrece Spencer c. 1 Aug 1575 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London = William Adams

9. Catherine Spencer c.28 May 1578 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London

10. William Spencer c. 1 Apr 1577 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London = Anne Tite

10.a Mary c. 5 Aug 1604 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London

10.b Richard Spencer c. 3 Aug 1606 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London Buried: 26 Feb 1608/09

10.c Elizabeth Spencer c. 5 Oct 1609 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London

10.d William Spencer c. 24 Feb 1610/11 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London Buried: 1 Sep 1612

10.e Anne Spencer c. 17 Oct 1613 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London

10.f Dorothy Spencer c. 7 Dec 1615 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London

10.g Susanna Spencer c. 26 Dec 1616 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London Buried: 2 Jan 1615/16

11. Margaret c. 8 Mar 1579 St. Stephen, Walbrook, London = Lawrence Greene , London Merchant ** Note on this last one , she is mentioned in the will of Richard Spencer , a relation to the 4 Spencer brothers but only in the context of the property that he had bought from her. But there would certainly seem to be a close connection to her.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Spencer

May 2, 2014, 6:44:46 AM5/2/14
Continuing the detailing of the 7 John Spencer's of Blunham, Bedfordshire, I will now cover #2 John Spencer below:

2. John Spencer ESQ., b. bef. 1500, d. of at Bramfield Manor,Herts. , his will was probated 24 November 1568 , late of Southmylls, Blunham . Gent. of Southmylles ,Beds. & Bramfield , John married = Ethelredea Baker

Source: Will of John Spencer of Southmylles , Blunham, Bedfordshire
This family is detailed in the 1572 Visitation of St, Albans, Hertsford.

E 115/344/45 :
Certificate of residence showing John Spencer to be liable for taxation in Bedford.
(Details of which pouch this certificate was removed from are now lost.)
Date: 1547-1685
New record: Z 975/10 n.d.[c.1902] National Archives -Source of acquisition: 7936
Contents: Hand-written transcription of a Conveyance in Latin dated 6 July 1545 from John Maynard, gent, to John Spencer, his heirs and assigns, for £8 paid to Henry Audeley, of:(a) one toft, one close, one parcel of underwood and ten acres of land with appurtenances in Moggerhanger "in the parish of Blunham" late in the tenure of John Colbeck and lately the prior of Caldewell in Bedfordshire which land JM/HA had jointly by the gift and grant of Henry VIII by Letters Patent dated 3 March 1545
Habendum: to JS in fee in socage tenure of the Honour or Manor of Ampthill for a rent of 9 pennies, one halfpenny and one farthing payable to the Court of Augmentations on 29th September annually John Maynard appoints John Osseburn as his attorney to take seisin. Endorsed with memorandum of livery of seisin witnessed by Thomas Grey, William Fysher senior, William Blythe (or Elyche), William Ward and others on 11 August 1545..one of his sons was the # John Spencer of the list.

His father was John Spencer b. abt. 1452 ''of Begwary, Beds, fls. in 1473 /75 as per court case, plaintiff vs. brother, (Robert Spencer,the one who died in 1520/21), they fought over the will of his grandfather "Thomas Spencer" regarding: "land use at "Devil Hoe"- Eton-Forde, Beds." Beds. John was named of being of "Begwary, Beds." in about 1474 at the time of this court case.= NN Note: '''Source for court case of 1473,{National Archives C1/48/279 (1473-1575) Hamyldon vs. Isham Plaintiffs''' William Hamyldon & John Spencer of Begwary,Beds. Executors of Thomas Spencer of Eaton Forde, Beds. Defendants: Robert Isham and Robert Spencer of south Myless, feoffes of the use of the Will of Thomas Spencer}.
'''Begwary''' is a small hamlet located in the Wyboston, Chawston and Colesden parish of Bedfordshire, England. Begwary is situated to the north of the parish, near Colmworth and Honeydon.
From: 'Parishes: Eaton Socon', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 189-202.
He is named in the probated will of John Spencer of Pavenham, Beds., who died in 1532. in that he is named as the father of Alice Spencer who married a Robert Arnolds and grandfather of Ann Arnolds who married John Spencer of Pavenham, Beds.

His siblings:
Brother: Thomas Spencer in 1493 , provided the wax for the candles of Barford Church. Source: The Archaeological Journal - Volume 70 - Page 273. "Torchiis iijs. iiijd":

Sister: Alice Spencer = Robert Arnolds of St. Neots, Beds.

John's children:

1. John Spencer (#3 of the list" - fls. 1565., he d. 8 Jan 1583, his will was probated on 16 January 1584 he was a Grocer of St. Stephen Walbook and Citizen of London, he had 2 wifes, Anne Clarke, she was buried 14 March 1580 and = Margaret______ after 1580, who according to John's will the 2nd wife Margerett bringing a large Dower / property upon marriage.
Litigation: C 3/157/3
Short title: Skegges v Spencer.
Plaintiffs: Edward Skegges. Defendants: John Spencer and others.
Source for death date of John: is church registry St. Stephen Walbook compiled by his son - in law
His will mentions a brother "Robert Spencer" at time of his wil, his other brother William had already died prior to the date of the his Will..
He had issue who are already covered..see John Spencer #3.

2. Robert Spencer(2), Esquire. of Bramfield, St. Albans, Herts d. will probated 07 May 1591 = Frances Foster on 15 April 1561, dau. of John III FOSTER (FORSTER -1511-58), & Margery of Bramfield, Herts.
Note: He is named in his brothers will as Esquire.
- proved 1572 Visitation of St. Albans., Herts. ** In the visitation he states says the source of the pedigree is himself, so the fact that he names another brother as the same name as himself is curious, but seems true by other facts as well a described under the other Robert Spencer.
He had one son:

2.a John Spencer bpt. 11 January 1561 d. 1622 Bramfield, St. Albans, Herts = 1. Margaret Bayly, This John Spencer served as "Chamberlain to Sir. John Spencer III knight, of Oldthorpe, Northhampton, mentioned in his Will of 1599".

3. Ann Spencer * died before 1602, as noted on a plaque in the Church, also noted as sole dau. of John Spencer of Blunham, Esq. = (Edward Barnwell -Gent., d. 1602) of Cransley, Norfolk. Lord of the Manor's of Newark and Pulton.
Source: *Burke's Landed Gentry 4th Ed 1862. Ann and Edward Barnell had issue:

3.a Stephen BARNWELL
3.b Thomas BARNWELL
3.c Edward BARNWELL
3.d John BARNWELL
3.e William BARNWELL
3.d Angus BARNWELL
3.e Myles BARNWELL
3.f Mary BARNWELL
3.g Elizabeth BARNWELL
3.h Anne BARNWELL
3.i Christiana BARNWELL

4. William Spencer c. abt. 1534
Will of William Spencer, Gentleman of Blunham, Bedfordshire dated: 24 November 1582 = Isabel Osborne, was probably pregnant when her husband died, she being the dau. Edward Osborn. of Kennalmarsh

Litigation: Calendars of the Proceedings in Chancery in Riegn of Elizabtherth 1st.- sometime after 1582-
" Isabel Spencer plantiff, Gilles allen DEfendant, "for relief" Watermills in the parish of Blomham conveyed contrary to an award made between Defendant and complaintant's hsuband William Spencer -deceased. William had issue:

4.a John Spencer c. 25 Oct 1582 , Abbey , St. Albans., Herts. d. Oct. 26, 1582 (Baby)

5. Robert Spencer(1)of South Mylles., Beds. - fls. in 1531 = dau. of George Smyth of Beds. Held a Manor on : 14 Oct, 26 Henry VIII [1534] source: R 6/62/12/95 National archives.

Legal Case 134/36Eliz/Hil9
Thomas Warde v. Henry Foster: Farm in Chalton, whether parcel of the manor of Mogerhanger, in the parish of Blunham (Beds), and parcel of the late priory of St. Neots (Hunts). Customs of manor. [The possessions of Robert Spencer and Wm. Ward (plaintiff's father), are mentioned.]: Bedford
This land was part of an older larger property in Moggerhandger held long ago, that was divided in the past between Spencer descendants. This same land is mentioned in the will of John Spencer of Pavenham, Beds. Much of the various lands and manors were likely divided between the children.
This Robert has been identified as the one named as Co- executor of his Cousin (John Spencer of Pavenham probated will written c. 1531.)

Visitations in the Diocese of Lincoln, 1517-1531, Volume 33
Ttranslated from latin : Lattice defect is in the floor / Robertus Spenser holds it consisting of Blownham- penny per year for three rods of land in the fields of Wiboyston ... "Probably Beggary, two to three miles SW of Eaton Socon, near Colmworth.

Any corrections, comments or additions are welcome.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Spencer

From: 'Parishes: Eaton Socon', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 189-202. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42414 Date accessed: 01 November 2013.
The Baronetage of England, Or the History of the English Baronets ..., Volume 5 page 529.

A Register of the Scholars Admitted Into Merchant Taylor's School , Volume 1

the father of #1 , was also named was "John Spencer"-Gent.

Grandfather of #1 was: Thomas Spencer = b. abt. 1442 Eton-Socun, Beds.
who married Joan_____. His will dated Jan.22/1490/1 Buried at Eton- Socun. Source: Lat.10.f.6 pg. 48.28 PR. 16 Feb 1493 will Probated. His will mentions a brother Henry and also names a son John who in 1490 was unmarried.

John's siblings were : (who were from a frist wife) of his father, as he was much younger, they include:

1. Nicholas Spencer b. abt. 1532 Bedfordshire, London Menrchant= Dorothy Malton on 21 Oct. 1566,, his will probated 1599 London, He was a warden and later Master of the Merchant Taylors in 1588.

2. Peter Spencer b. abt. 1530, removed to Eaton Bray, Beds

3. Sarah Spencer

His nephew was :

Augustine Spencer admitted Dec 1, 1569 to Merchant Taylors Guild at age 16 as a pensioner, entered inner temple in 1576.

He had one son, but perhaps more:

1. William W. Spencer of Beds, c. 03 Sept. 1576 d. 1635 = NN

He had issue:

1. Timothy Spencer c. 24 Jan 1590 Eastwick. Herts.
2. Walter Spencer of Eton-Socon and Barford, Beds, he is named in the will of Fitzjeoffrie of Barford, Beds. in 1618 as a Gent. = NN
3. Thomas Spencer c. 28 Mar 1597 Eastwick,Herts
4. Andrew Spencer Gent. of Eton-Socon d.25 Jun 1619 at Roxton, Bedford
5. Nathaniel Spencer c. 02 Dec 1593 Eastwick
6. Thomas Spencer bpt. 1590 of Eton-Socon, died young
7. John Spencer c. 04 Feb 1593 of Eton-Socon
8. Anna c. 16 Apr 1591
9. Edmund Spencer 4 September 1588 (twin) of Eton-Socon
10.Dorothea Spencer September 1588( twin) of Eton-Socon = John Abbott on
12 November 1627 at Eaton Socon.

Regards, and thank you for reading my posts.

Robert

flowerg...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2018, 12:58:05 PM3/29/18
On Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 2:21:45 PM UTC-4, D. Spencer Hines wrote:
> [...]
> as early as 1525, noted in other sources as being prior in 1526 and early
> 1534, he died in 1534. His son Richard followed as Prior of Chicksand.
>
> 5. John Spencer b. c. 1505 Southmylles, Beds, - buried: June 9, 1558 in
> Edworth = probably: Ann Agnes Cobb b. c. 1507- buried on 16 Jun 1560 at
> Edworth , "Widow" of Robert Merryll.
>
> 6. John Spencer , fls. in 1567, holding the Manor of Mardley, Hertforshire,
> (but of the Bedfordshire family" he = in 1586 Joan Burton, niece of
> Margaret Burton who was "Prioress" of Chicksands in 1538 when it was
> surrendered to the crown.
>
> 7. John Spencer - Gent.- of Southmylles, Beds, d. 16 Jan 1532, probated 05
> Feb. 1532. =1. Anne Arnolds-, she was his cousin, dau. & heiress of Robert
> Arnolds. - Gent. of St. Neots.. John married 2nd = Christian Baker, sister

Hello! I'm late to the party, but could you help with William Spencer born in England circa 1570, emigrating to Virginia Colonies on 30 August 1611 on the ship "Susan Constant"? I've read through all of your threads but I would like to make sure i'm understanding correctly. IS William Spencer (above) of Cople/ Biggleswade Hundred? Need to connect some dots on my end. MANY thanks, Kimberly

Maria Teresa Quinn

Nov 1, 2022, 1:15:30 AM11/1/22
Looking into Nicholas Spencer born abt 1506, lived in chart sutton, woodies borough , sandwiches, was a customer of the queen re sandwiche. Married Elizsbeth Rothbotham. Trying to find parents ?

Will Johnson

Nov 1, 2022, 6:01:52 PM11/1/22
Have you seen this?

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol5/pp352-364

I hope you're not claiming descent from Nicholas, who d.s.p.

Maria Teresa Quinn

Nov 11, 2022, 3:51:50 AM11/11/22
Thanks re Spencer. My Nicholas earlier - ElizaBeth First. B.1506 buried
Wednesborough.

Will Johnson

Nov 12, 2022, 10:58:01 AM11/12/22
What exactly does that mean?