ancestry of d'Aubigny (Daubeney) of S. Ingleby

John P. Ravilious

Dec 15, 2009, 6:21:58 AM12/15/09

Tuesday, 15 December, 2009

Dear John (Watson), Jim, et al.,

Related to the recent threads concerning the d'Aubigny or de
Albini family(ies), there was discussion of late concerning Sibyl de
Valoin(e)s and her husbands, including Ralph d'Aubigny (d. 1191), a
younger son of William d'Aubigny 'I' of Belvoir and his wife Cecily
[1]. From the discussion it appeared possible that he was in fact the
Ralph d'Aubigny who was ancestor of the Aubigny family of South
Ingleby, co. Lincs., which identification can be found from Burke's
Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry to the well-
known website Stirnet.

There is a significant amount of evidence that shows this was not
the case. With regard to the Ralph d'Aubigny, he was a son of Cecily
and held several knights' fees of his brother William [2]. This Ralph
had a son Ralph who died (possibly in his father's lifetime) with no
surviving issue. In addition to this lack of a male descent, the 15
knights' fees which Ralph held of his brother William included lands
in Aubourn and Binbrook, co. Lincs. and North Dalton, Upper Naburn and
Lower Naburn, co. Yorks., but did not include lands in Saxilby or
Ingleby. The heirs were three daughters of Ralph 'the elder',
allegedly by Sibyl de Valoins: Matilda, Alice and Gunnor (or Gunnora)
[3]. Gunnor married Robert de Gant, a younger brother of Gilbert, Earl
of Lincoln (d. 1156), and was the ancestress of the Gant family of
Folkingham, the Kerdestons of same, and others [4]. Whether Gunnor was
in fact the daughter of Sibyl de Valoins as indicated by Farrer is a
matter for further discussion.

The ancestry of the Ingleby line can be traced from a younger
sibling of William 'I' d'Aubigny (the husband of Cecilia). Charter
evidence indicates this was likely a brother, whose wife was
previously married to NN de Chauveni (or Chauvigny): it is also
possible given the occasional changes in toponyms that a sister of
William had married, with her issue chosing either d'Aubigny or de
Chauveni as a surname. Helias or Elias d'Aubigny was one son, whose
brothers were Iwen d'Aubigny (also Iwen de Chauveni in some charters)
and Geoffrey de Chauveni [5].

Elias d'Aubigny held a knight's fee in Ingleby, co. Lincs. of his
cousin William 'II' d'Aubigny 'Brito'. He was identified as a brother
of Iwen d'Aubigny and Geoffrey de Chauveni [6]. Their relationship to
the senior d'Aubigny line is given in a charter in which Iwen
d'Aubigny and Geoffrey de Chauveni made a grant to Belvoir priory 'for
the repose of our souls, and the souls of our uncle, Will. de Albini,
and Will. his son,... '[7]. Elias granted a charter, together with his
wife Hawise and their sons Oliver and Ralph, giving their third of the
Church of St. Botolph of Saxelby, and twenty acres of meadow in
Driholm, to Newhouse priory in part 'for the soul of William d'Aubigny
who gave that fee to us ' [8]. Elias' known issue by Hawise were three
sons and a daughter: Ralph, the eldest son and heir, Oliver, and
Philip; and a daughter (name unknown), wife of Sir Ralph de Nevill.

Elias was evidently succeeded by his son and heir Ralph, who was
named son and heir in a charter of Elias granting a toft to Belvoir
priory [9]. Relatively little is known of Ralph's life; he died in or
shortly before 1206, when his cousin and lord William d'Aubigny 'III'
fined to have his lands which Ralph held of him [10]. By his wife Maud
de Montsorel, he left three sons: (1) Philip d'Aubigny, who d.s.p.
before 20 Dec 1224 [11]; (2) Ralph, who succeeded his brother as a
minor, their uncle Philip having custody of the lands in Ingleby [12];
and (3) William, a clerk and rector of Gayton, co. Lincs. [13].

Oliver was evidently the second son of Elias, given the wording of
the charter mentioned above. Oliver obtained a grant of the manor of
Enderby, co. Lincs. from Petronilla, countess of Leicester, which
lands were evidently of her own inheritance of the lordship of
Grandmesnil. This charter was confirmed by King John on 16 Dec 1204
[14]. He died without surviving issue some time after 12 Aug 1216
[15], and his brother Philip succeeded to his lands in Enderby [16].

Sir Philip d'Aubigny (dsp before 12 Feb 1236/7) was evidently the
youngest son, not being named in his parent's charter (naming Oliver
and Ralph in that order) in favor of Belvoir priory; he was certainly
the most famous of the brood. He succeeded his brother Oliver at
Enderby, but this was of minor note in a successful career in which he
served Kings John and Henry III with distinction, acting as Warden of
the Channel Islands, and acquiring lands at South Petherton,
Chillington and elsewhere in Somerset [17]. He went to the Holy Land,
apparently more than once. He died there before 12 Feb 1236/7: of some
interest is the tombstone commemorating his burial in Jerusalem [18].

In addition to Ralph, Oliver and Philip, mention was made above
of an unnamed daughter. Born in or before 1176, she was the wife of
Sir Ralph de Nevill of Scotton, co. Lincs. [19]. They evidently had
three sons: (1) Sir Robert, of Scotton; (2) Sir Ralph, a knight in the
service of his uncle Sir Philip and custodian of Ingleby in 1229; and
(3) Elias, rector of Scotton.

The discussion of the Nevills having its own complications and
difficulties, this will be left to further discussion in additional
threads.

Cheers,

John

Notes

[1] J. W. Cummings et al., <The Marital Career of Sibyl de Valognes ca
1130-after 1212>, SGM, Dec 2009.

[2] 'Radulfo de Albin[eio] filio meo' was a witness to a grant by his
mother Cecily de Belvoir to Belvoir priory [Rutland MSS., Hist. Man.
Comm. IV:144, cites Uffington Charters, fo. 67d.]. He was a tenant of
his brother William d'Aubigny 'II' at the time of the assessment of a
feudal aid in 1165. Concerning the 32 knight's fees of the old
feoffment, and 6 1/2 fees of the new feoffment held by his brother,
Carrington noted,

' Of these fees, Ralph, his brother, held of him 15; Robert
Poher, 5 1/2; Simon de Roppesley, 3; Simon de Bosco Rahara (Borhard),
3; Ralph Chenduit, one; William de Vaus, one; Ralph de Hotot, one;
Ralph de Brandon, one; Aelard de St. Cere, two; Robert de Chaworth,
one; Iwan de Albini, one; Geoffrey de Chaveni; one; Robert le Briton,
one; Ralph le Briton, one; Elias de Albini, one; and Hugh de St.
Vedars, one half.' [W. A. Carrington, the Early Lords of Belvoir, in
Journal of the British Archaeological Association, N.S. (1901), VII:
325]

[3] W. Farrer, Early Yorkshire Charters I:460-462.

[4] Concerning her husband Robert, K.S.B. Keats-Rohan wrote in part:

"Younger son of Walter de Gand, brother of Gilbert II, earl of
Lincoln.
Married first Adelicia Paynel and secondly Gunnor, sister and coheir
of
Ralph II de Albini Brito, by whom he had issue Gilbert (son of Gunnor,
earl of Lincoln by usurpation 1216, d. 1241), Stephen and Avice, wife
of Robert de Beverley, mother of Maurice de Gand." [Keats-Rohan,
Domesday Descendants, p. 472]. Avice was actually the daughter of
Alice, or Adelicia Paynel.

[5] A charter of Simon de Roppesley in favor of Belvoir priory was
witnessed by Iwen and his brother Elias de Albini and Geoffrey de
Chauveni [half-brother?] and their Albini cousins, 1166 or before:

' Testes: Gamell capellanus;....Willelmus de Alben[eio] et
Rogerus et Rodbertus et Radulfus fratres eius; Helyas de Alben[eio] et
Gaufridus de Chaueini et Yuen fratres eius;...' [Rutland MSS., Hist.
Man. Comm. IV:130]

[6] Rutland MSS., ibid.

[7] ' Sciant tam presentes quam futuri quod ego Iwen' de Albineio et
Gaufridus de Chauenni frater meus concessimus ecclesie beate Marie de
Bel[ver] et monachis ibidem deo servientibus pro salute animarum
nostrarum et pro animabus avunculi nostri Willelmi de Albin[eio] et
Willelmi filii sui et omnium parentum et antecessorum nostrorum
ecclesiam de Plungard cum omnibus rebus ad eam pertinentibus in
perpetuam et liberam elemosinam. Hanc donationem baculo quodam super
altare beate marie optulimus, Astante conventu eiusdem loci et
Willelmo de Albin[eio] et filio ejus Willelmo, Johanne de Bothesford,
Hugone filio Maugerii, Willelmo pincerna et nonnullis aliis testibus.
Pointed oval seal showing a front view of a woman standing with
hanging sleeves, a branch in one hand and a bird in the other. Legend:
SIGILLUM IHWEINS DE ALBENEIA.' [Belvoir Priory Charters, in Rutland
MSS., Hist. Man. Comm. IV:101. An English rendering is found in W. A.
Carrington, The Early Lords of Belvoir, in Journal of the British
Archaeological Association, N.S. (1901), VII:324-5]

[8] ' Helias de Albeniaco, et Hawis sponsa sua, et Oliverus et
Radulfus filii sui,' gave a charter to Newhouse priory granting their
third of Church of St. Botolph of Saxelby, and twenty acres of meadow
in Driholm, in part ' pro anima Willielmi de Albeniaco, qui nobis
feudum istud dedit '; witnessed by ' Gaufrido de Shaveni et Johanne et
Alano filiis suis;.... Audoeno fratre meo,..' and others [Monasticon
Anglicanum 6(2):866, Num. IV]

[9] record of a grant ca. 1167 or later (William 'II' d'Aubigny having
d. that year):

' ___. Charter, of Elyas de Albon' notifying that he and Hawis
his wife and Ralf his son and heir have granted to Belvoir Priory in
frank almoin a toft in Belvoir, contiguous to that of Ralf the priest,
which Siward held, for the weal of the soul of William de Albon'
Brito, and (those of) William his son, and William the third, their
lord, etc.
Hiis testibus: Hugone capellano de Wllesthorpe; Iwano de Albon';
Rodlando de Moston; Alano de Chauani; Walterio de Beroham'; Marchis de
Albon et Philippo et Johanne fratribus suis; Rodlando Britonensis
(sic); Ricardo de Plungar; Ricardo dispa'; Symone nepote Symonis
prioris; Ricardo filio Willelmi armigeri; Wigero, eet alii plurimi.
' [Rutland MSS., Hist. Man. Comm. IV:118, cites 'Belvoir Charters, fo.
37d.']

[10] Record of a fine re: land in 'Englesby', co. Lincs., 1206:

' Linc'. Will'us de Alben' dat L. marc' 't j. palefr' p' h'nda t'ra de
Angli'by cu' p't'in, que fuit Rad' de Albeny 't q' de feod' ip'i
Will'i, q'm p'us d'n's Rex lib'avat Ph' de Albeny . q's L. marc' d'n's
Rex attornavit Philip de Alben' redden' . 't q's id' Philipp' h're
debet. ' [Rotuli de Oblatis et Finibus in Turri Londinensi asservati,
tempore Regis Johannis, p. 347]

[11] Philip d. before 6 Jan 1226/7, date of grant of his lands in
Ingleby, co. Lincs. to his uncle Philip during the minority of his
heir, dated at Woodstock, 6 Jan 1226/7:

' Pro Philippo de Albiniaco. - Dominus rex concessit Philippo de
Albiniaco custodiam terre que fuit Philippi de Albiniaco de Britannia,
nepotis sui, in Engleby, usque ad etatem heredis ipsius Philippi, ad
se sustentandum in servicio domini regis. In cujus etc. Teste rege,
apud Wudestok, vj die Januarii, anno etc. xj. ' [CPR 11 Hen III, p.
106, m. 9]

See the account in Complete Peerage which carries the male
descent from Philip's brother Ralph forward [CP IV:93 et seq.]

[12] Grant of the ward of Ingleby, co. Lincs. by his uncle Philip to
Sir Ralph de Nevill (another of Philip's nephews), confirmed by King
Henry III at Westminster, 8 Oct 13 Hen III [1229]:

' Pro Radulfo de Neville, milite. - Rex omnibus, etc. salutem.
Noveritis quod nos concessionem quam dilectus et fidelis noster
Philippus de Albiniaco fect Radulfo de Neville, militi suo, de warda
manerii de Englesby cum pertinenciis suis, habenda et tenenda usque ad
etatem heredum Philippi de Albiniaco, nepotis predicti Philippi, ratam
habemus et gratam et eam pro nobis et heredibus nostris concedimus et
confirmamus, sicut predictum est. In cujus etc. fieri fecimus. Teste
ut supra. '[CPR 13 Hen III, p. 276, m. 2]

[13] record of his presentation to the living, dated at Oxford, 30
Sept 1233:

' Presentation of William de Albiniaco, nephew of Philip de
Albiniaco, to the church of Gaiton, in the diocese of Lincoln, in the
king's gift by reason of the land of the advocate of Bethune being in
his hands. ' [CPR 17 Hen III, p. 26, mem. 2]
[14] Humanities Research Institute, THE 'LANDS OF THE NORMANS' IN
ENGLAND (1204 - 1244), extract from Rotuli Chartarum in Turri
Londoniensi asservati (1199-1216), ed. T. D. Hardy (London, 1833-4).

[15] record of a grant dated 12 Aug 1216:

'The king has granted to Oliver, brother of Philip d'Aubigne, the
land late of Richard Fleming that Roeland Bloet formerly held. Order
to Philip d'Aubigne to deliver seisin etc. Also the king has granted
to Oliver the land of Roger de Hesdin, which is of the fee of Maurice
de Gant and which the king had previously granted to Terry le Tyes.
Order to Philip to compensate Terry from the lands of Robert de
Ambimille in Betton ' [Humanities Research Institute, THE 'LANDS OF
THE NORMANS' IN ENGLAND (1204 - 1244), cites Rotuli Litterarum
Clausarum in Turri Londinensi Asservati, T. D. Hardy (ed.) (2 vols,
London, 1833-4)]

[16] ' Oliver de Aubeney' was recorded as tenant of the lands of
Enderby during the reign of Henry III, with Philip being his
successor:

' fo. 6b. Enderby. - Oliver de Aubeney and his brother
Philip.' [Rutland MSS., Hist. Man. Comm. IV:178]

[17] licence dated at Westminster, 16 Feb 1234/5:

' Licence for Philip de Albiniaco, in aid of his pilgrimage to the
Holy Land, to pledge the manor of Periton, which is in his custody,
with Ralph de Albiniaco, his nephew, for seven years from Michaelmas,
19 Henry III, the said Ralph to hold the said manor for that term
whatever happened to Philip and Ralph in the meantime.
Licence for him to pledge for three years the manors of Chinton, which
he has de ballio regis Johannis, and Bamton, which he has de ballio
regis.' [CPR 19 Hen III, p. 93, mem. 14]

Mention is made in Complete Peerage as well [CP IV:94].

[18] Record of a confirmation dated at Westminster, 12 Feb 1236/7:

' Recital that the king has inspected and confirmed a charter, whereby
J. bishop of Bath granted to William de Wethamsted, his steward, the
manor of Pereton, which Philip de Albiniaco, deceased, pledged to the
said bishop with the king's assent for the term of seven years, and
which the bishop demised to the said William, with the condition that
if before the completion of the term the said William die or change
his state, the dean and chapter of Wells shall have the said manor for
the remainder of the term. ' [Cal. Charter Rolls, 21 Hen III, p. 226,
mem. 6]

Numerous reports (some including erroneous details) from the late
19th century can be found concerning the tomb of Sir Philip. See
Jaroslav Folda, Crusader Art in the Holy Land, from the Third Crusade
to the Fall of Acre, 1187-1291 (Cambridge Univ. Press,2005), p. 162.

[19] She was probably b. 1176 or before, as her son Robert was b.
before 1192, as he was of age in 1212 [Chronicon Petroburgense pp.
180-1]. See note [12] above re: the grant of Ingleby, co. Lincs. to
her son Ralph in 1229.

John P. Ravilious

Dec 15, 2009, 6:46:59 AM12/15/09
Tuesday, 15 December, 2009

Hello All,

Following is a chart presenting the relationships as described in
the first post.

Cheers,

John

Main d'Aubigny = Adeliza de Bohun
_____________________I_______
I I
William = Cecilia NN = NN (de
'I' I de Belvoir I Chauveni ?)
of Belvoir I I
I I
__________I___ ______I____ _ _ _ _
I I I I I
William Ralph Elias Iwen Geoffrey
'II' of Aubourn of Ingleby
= Maud & Naburn = Hawise
de St. Liz I
_________________I_________________
I I I I
Ralph Oliver Sir Philip NN =
of Ingleby (Enderby) d. bef Sir Ralph
d. ca. 1206 12 Feb 1236/7 de Nevill
= Maud I
___________I___________ _____________I____
I I I I I I
Philip Sir Ralph William Sir Robert Ralph Elias
d. 1224 d. 1291 de Nevill
= Isolda of Scotton
de Sulney
_________I________
I I
Sir Philip Sir Elias = Joan
dsp 1294 d. 1305 I
1st Lord V
Daubeney
[CP IV:95-96]

taf

Dec 15, 2009, 6:43:38 PM12/15/09
On Dec 15, 3:21 am, "John P. Ravilious" <ther...@aol.com> wrote:

>      The ancestry of the Ingleby line can be traced from a younger
> sibling of William 'I' d'Aubigny (the husband of Cecilia). Charter
> evidence indicates this was likely a brother, whose wife was
> previously married to NN de Chauveni (or Chauvigny): it is also
> possible given the occasional changes in toponyms that a sister of
> William had married, with her issue chosing either d'Aubigny or de
> Chauveni as a surname. Helias or Elias d'Aubigny was one son, whose
> brothers were Iwen d'Aubigny (also Iwen de Chauveni in some charters)
> and Geoffrey de Chauveni [5].
>
>      Elias d'Aubigny held a knight's fee in Ingleby, co. Lincs. of his
> cousin William 'II' d'Aubigny 'Brito'. He was identified as a brother
> of Iwen d'Aubigny and Geoffrey de Chauveni [6]. Their relationship to
> the senior d'Aubigny line is given in a charter in which Iwen
> d'Aubigny and Geoffrey de Chauveni made a grant to Belvoir priory 'for
> the repose of our souls, and the souls of our uncle, Will. de Albini,
> and Will. his son,... '[7].

In the 'for what it's worth' category, traditional (i.e. dubious)
sources (Burkes, Battle Abbey Roll) give the first William d'Aubigny
Brito a brother Geoffrey, with sons Oliver, Iwen and Geoffrey de
Chauveni.

taf

Douglas Richardson

Dec 15, 2009, 11:22:02 PM12/15/09
For what it is worth, below is a weblibk to a charter issued by Iwen
de Aubeny and his brother, Geoffrey de Chavenni, dated probably in the
reign of King Henry I or Stephen, in which they refer to their uncle,
William d'Aubeney I, and his son, William II.

http://books.google.com/books?id=KxIrAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA310&dq=%22William+de+Albiniaco%22&lr=&cd=11#v=onepage&q=%22William%20de%20Albiniaco%22&f=false

The said Iwen and his brother, Geoffrey, are dealing with the advowson
of the church of Plungar, Leicestershire. The overlordshop of this
manor subsequently descended in the Aubeney family of Belvoir,
Leicestershire, and thence onto the Roos family. In 1165 Iwen
d'Aubeney and Geoffrey de Chaveni each held one knight's fee of
William d'Aubeney II, of Belvoir.

taf

Dec 15, 2009, 11:42:05 PM12/15/09
On Dec 15, 8:22 pm, Douglas Richardson <royalances...@msn.com> wrote:
> For what it is worth, below is a weblibk to a charter issued by Iwen
> de Aubeny and his brother, Geoffrey de Chavenni, dated probably in the
> reign of King Henry I or Stephen, in which they refer to their uncle,
> William d'Aubeney I, and his son, William II.
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=KxIrAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA310&dq=%22William+...

Or the original Latin version at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=16sKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA101

taf

Dec 16, 2009, 12:20:18 AM12/16/09
On Dec 15, 3:46 am, "John P. Ravilious" <ther...@aol.com> wrote:
> Tuesday, 15 December, 2009
>
> Hello All,
>
>      Following is a chart presenting the relationships as described in
> the first post.
>
>      Cheers,
>
>                           John
>
>           Main d'Aubigny  =  Adeliza de Bohun
>      _____________________I_______
>      I                           I
>   William    =   Cecilia        NN   =  NN (de
>     'I'      I  de Belvoir           I  Chauveni ?)
>  of Belvoir  I                       I
>              I                       I
>    __________I___              ______I____ _ _ _ _
>    I            I              I         I       I
>  William     Ralph           Elias     Iwen   Geoffrey
>   'II'     of Aubourn      of Ingleby

I note that the Rutland HMC volume (p. 127) gives a document of Iwen
which is witnessed by Geoffrey de Chauenni "et Osmund frater ejus",
indicating that the Osmund de Chaueni who appears elsewhere among the
documents would seem to be another sibling, although curiously there
is another (p. 130) that is witnessed by "Willelmus de Alben[eio] et

Rogerus et Rodbertus et Radulfus fratres eius; Helyas de Alben[eio] et

Gaufridus de Chaueini et Yuen fratres eius; Osmund' de Chaueini".

We also see (p. 128) that Geoffrey made a donation to Belvoir Priory
"especially for the soul of Lady Cecily, who brought him up," his
"heir" being John. although there is also a confirmation by John of
his (unnamed) father's gift.

And another (p. 127) in which Iwen gives virtually the whole pedigree
of the senior line, in addition to himself and his wife naming his
uncle William and Cecily his wife, and their son William, and William
the third (his lord) and his mother Maud de Liz Saint (sic).

It looks like there is a lot of information still to be mined here.

taf

John P. Ravilious

Dec 16, 2009, 7:15:32 AM12/16/09
> taf- Hide quoted text -

=======================

Wednesday, 16 December, 2009

Dear Todd,

Quite right - in genealogy, every answer must yield at least two
questions.

As to the specific matter of Geoffrey de Chauveni's grant
mentioning "his lady Cecily who brought him up (me nutrivit)", I think
this most likely is a reference to Cecilia de Belvoir, wife of William
'I' d'Aubigny and either Geoffrey's aunt by marriage, or his half-
brother's aunt by marriage [if Geoffrey and Elias d'Aubigny only
shared one parent]. It's a rather strange way to refer to one's own
mother; further, I tend to doubt that either the sister or sister-in-
law of William d'Aubigny (the husband of Cecilia de Belvoir) was also
named Cecilia.

Cheers,

John

taf

Dec 16, 2009, 7:25:34 AM12/16/09
On Dec 16, 4:15 am, "John P. Ravilious" <ther...@aol.com> wrote:

>      As to the specific matter of Geoffrey de Chauveni's grant
> mentioning "his lady Cecily who brought him up (me nutrivit)", I think
> this most likely is a reference to Cecilia de Belvoir, wife of William
> 'I' d'Aubigny

I concur.

tsf

Message has been deleted

John Watson

Dec 17, 2009, 12:21:26 AM12/17/09

Dear John, Todd, et al,

For the sake of completeness, we should add another two sons for Elias
de Aubigny, As well as Ralph, Oliver and Philip, there were also, a
cleric named Marchisius and a son named John.

'P. de Aubeny, Marchisio clerico fratre eius' and 'Oliuero de Aubeny'
were witnesses to a grant by Robert [Fitz-Parnell] earl of Leicester
to the church of Lincoln and bishop William of sixteen virgates in
Thurmaston, dated between 24 August 1203 and 6 January 1204.[1]

In 1215, Marchiscius was canon of Lincoln of the prebend of Clifton
[2]. He died before November 1225 [3].

'Marchis de Albon et Philippo et Johanne fratribus suis', were
witnesses to a charter of Elyas de Albon' notifying that he and Hawis

his wife and Ralf his son and heir have granted to Belvoir Priory in

frank almoin a toft in Belvoir [4].

Regards,

John

Sources
1. Lincoln Record Society, Vol. 29, Registrum Antiquissimum of the
Cathedral Church of Lincoln, Vol. 3 (1935) p. 216, No. 872
2. ibid p. 244, No. 912
3. Lincoln Record Society, Vol. 51, Registrum Antiquissimum of the
Cathedral Church of Lincoln, Vol. 8 (1958) p. 158, No. 2349
4. Historical Manuscripts Commission, Manuscripts of the Duke of
Rutland, Vol. 4 (1905) p. 118

John Watson

Dec 17, 2009, 12:41:54 AM12/17/09

Hi all,

I have found a further reference to Marchisius as brother of Philip
and Oliver d'Aubigny.

1190-1204, Charter of Robert son of Parnel, earl of Leicester,
notifying that for the souls of his father and mother, and of Loreta
his wife, and of all his successors, he gives to God and the monastery
of St. Mary of Lire le Champ Motteux (campus motosus) with the
buildings thereon and with the whole stock there, and with everything
intact, in frank almoin; and he wills that the monks’ servants
cultivating that land shall receive in his forest of Breteuil all that
they require for erecting and repairing buildings there, and for
firing, by the view and livery of his foresters. They are also to have
in the forest sufficient pasture for the stock there.
Hiis testibus: Paulo abbate Leicestrie; Philippo de Albigneio;
Marchis’ et Oliverio fratribus suis; Thoma de Estlega senescallo meo
in Anglia; Godefrido de Quatremaris; Phillippo de Bedo; Willelmo
capellano meo; Willelmo de Langeton, Luca et Roberto clericis meis, et
aliis.

'Eure: Part 2', Calendar of Documents Preserved in France: 918-1206
(1899), pp. 120-140.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=84252

Regards,

John