Milbanke descents from Edward III

John Higgins

Feb 9, 2007, 8:32:10 PM2/9/07
to Gen-Med

A few weeks ago Brad Verity posted information regarding Adm. Mark Milbanke, Governor of Newfoundland 1789-92, and showed a number of descents from Edward III for him. All the descents that Brad listed were through the Admiral's paternal line (and specifically his paternal great-grandmother Elizabeth Acclam, wife of Sir Mark, 1st Baronet).

I noted at the time that the Admiral also had quite a number of descents from Edward III through his mother Anne Delaval. I've collected his mother's Edward III descents (at least the ones I'm aware of) and have listed them below. For the sake of brevity, I've eliminated dates generally - most of these folks are well-known and appear in most compilations of royal descents. If anyone notes any errors or omissions in this, I'd be pleased to hear of them.

A1. Lionel of Antwerp, Duke of Clarence; m. (1) Elizabeth de Burgh
A2. Philippa of Clarence, Countess of Ulster; m. Sir Edmund II de Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March
A3. Elizabeth Mortimer; m. (1) Henry "Hotspur" Percy
A4. Henry de Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland; m. Eleanor Neville [K3]
[also parents of B5]
A5. Henry de Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland; m. Eleanor Poynings
A7. Margaret Percy; m. Sir William Gascoigne of Gawthorpe [G6]

B5. Sir Ralph de Percy (d. 25.IV.1464); m. [?] Eleanor Acton
B6. Sir Henry Percy (d. 1503-4)
B7. Margery Percy; m. (1) Sir Henry Widdrington
B8. Sir John Widdrington of Widdrington; m. (1) Agnes Metcalfe of Nappa
B9. Edward Widdrington of Swinburne; m. Ursula Carnaby [J10]
B10. Sir Henry Widdrington of Widdrington; m. Mary Curwen [G11]
B11. Margaret Widdrington; m. Edward Grey of Bitchfield [F11]

C1. John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster
C2. John Beaufort, Earl of Somerset; m. Margaret Holand
C3. Edmund Beaufort, 2nd Duke of Somerset; m. Eleanor de Beauchamp
C4. Eleanor Beaufort; m. (2) Sir Robert Spencer of Spencercombe
C5. Margaret Spencer; m. Thomas Cary of Chilton
C6. Mary Cary; m. Sir John Delaval of Seaton-Delaval [D6]

D2. Joan Beaufort; m. (1) Sir Robert de Ferrers, 2nd Lord Ferrers of Wemme
[also parents of G3]
D3. Elizabeth de Ferrers; m. Sir John Greystoke, 4th Lord Greystoke
[also parents of E4]
D4. Marjery Greystoke; m. Sir Thomas Grey of Chillingham
D5. Anne Grey; m. (1) John Delaval of Seaton-Delaval (d. 4.II.1498)
D6. Sir John Delaval of Seaton-Delaval (16.IV.1493-14.XII.1562); m. Mary Cary [C6]
D7. Sir John Delaval of Seaton-Delaval (1512-3.I.1572); m. Anne Ogle [H8]
D8. Sir Robert Delaval of Seaton-Delaval (1542-1.I.1607); m. Dorothy Grey of Chillingham [E10]
D9. Sir John Delaval of Dissington (d. 12.VIII.1652); m. (2) Elizabeth Selby
D10. George Delaval of Dissington (bur. 18.III.1694/5); m. Margaret Grey of Bitchfield [F12]
D11. Edward Delaval of South Dissington (bap 28.X.1664-3.VIII.1744); m. Mary Blake of Ford Castle
D12. Anne Delaval (bap. 8.IX.1702-21.III.1765); m. (his 2nd) Sir Ralph Milbanke, 4th Baronet

E4. Joan Greystoke; m. John Darcy
E5. Richard Darcy; m. Eleanor Scrope
E6. Sir William Darcy; m. Euphemia Langton
E7. Isabel Darcy; m. Sir Roger Grey of Horton
E8. Sir Thomas Grey of Horton; m. Dorothy Ogle [J8]
E9. Isabel Grey of Horton; m. Sir Ralph Grey of Chillingham
[also parents of F10]
E10. Dorothy Grey of Chillingham; m. Sir Robert Delaval of Seaton-Delaval [D8]

F10. Sir Edward Grey of Howick; m. Catherine le Strange
F11. Edward Grey of Bitchfield; m. Margaret Widdrington [B11]
F12. Margaret Grey of Bitchfield; m. George Delaval of Dissington [D10]

G3. Mary de Ferrers; m. Sir Ralph Neville of Oversley
G4. John Neville of Oversley; m. (1) Elizabeth Newmarch
G5. Joan Neville; m. (1) Sir William Gascoigne of Gawthorpe
G6. Sir William Gascoigne of Gawthorpe; m. Margaret Percy [A7]
[also parents of H7]
G7. Anne [or Agnes] Gascoigne; m. Sir Thomas Fairfax of Walton
G8. Sir Nicholas Fairfax of Walton and Gilling; m. (1) Jane Palmes
G9. Mary Fairfax; m. Sir Henry Curwen of Workington
G10. Sir Nicholas Curwen of Workington; m. (2) Elizabeth Carus
G11. Mary Curwen; m. Sir Henry Widdrington [B10]

H7. Margaret Gascoigne; m. Ralph Ogle, 3rd Lord Ogle
[also parents of J8]
H8. Anne Ogle; m. (2) Sir John Delaval of Seaton-Delaval [A7]

J8. Dorothy Ogle; m. (1) Sir Thomas Forster of Adderstone
m. (2) Sir Thomas Grey of Horton [E8]
J9. [by 1st mar.] Dorothy Forster of Adderstone; m. Sir Reginald Carnaby
J10. Ursula Carnaby; m. Edward Widdrington of Swinburne [B9]

K2. [= D2] Joan Beaufort; m. (2) Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland
K3. Eleanor Neville; m. Henry de Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland [A4]

Brad Verity

Feb 10, 2007, 12:09:09 PM2/10/07
On Feb 9, 5:32 pm, "John Higgins" <jthigg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I noted at the time that the Admiral also had quite a number of descents from Edward III through his mother Anne Delaval. I've collected his mother's Edward III descents (at least the ones I'm aware of) and have listed them below.

Dear John,

Thank you for posting these. I look forward to studying them in
detail.

Cheers,

----Brad

John Higgins

Feb 10, 2007, 12:39:58 PM2/10/07
to Gen-Med, Leo van de Pas
Leo below caught a copying error in one of the Milbanke lines I posted.
Line D is missing a generation between D3 and D4. The sequence should be:

D3. Elizabeth de Ferrers; m. Sir John Greystoke, 4th Lord Greystoke

D4. Ralph de Greystoke, 5th Lord Greystoke; m. (1) Elizabeth [or Isabel]
FitzHugh
D5. [not D4] Marjery Greystoke; m. Sir Thomas Grey of Chillingham
[and subsequent generations renumbered accordingly]

Thanks for catching this, Leo....apologies to all for any confusion caused.