Bulkeley Wives

Althea Van Pay

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
Hello,

I am looking for information on the following three women:

1. Beatrice HILL, wife of William BULKELEY.
2. Grisell MOULTON, wife of Humphrey BULKELEY (he b. 1424), and mother of
the above William.
3. Helen WILBRAHAM, wife of Hugh BULKELEY and mother of Humphrey above.

Sorry I have no other dates than the birth of Humphrey. Any help would do,
a reference maybe.

Althea Van Pay

Kay Allen AG

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Althea Van Pay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for information on the following three women:
>
> 1. Beatrice HILL, wife of William BULKELEY.
> 2. Grisell MOULTON, wife of Humphrey BULKELEY (he b. 1424), and mother of
> the above William.
> 3. Helen WILBRAHAM, wife of Hugh BULKELEY and mother of Humphrey above.

Grisell/Cecily Moulton and Helen Wilbraham only appear in Visitations.
To date, I have never seen reference to either of them in any other
documentation, especially not in primary sources. So I have them as
unproven.

For that matter, in trying to substantiate the Bulkeley line, I can
substantiate back to Rev. Edward's grandfather, William. Then there is a
gap where Humphrey and Hugh would be. Then there is evidence for John
and for Peter, but not necessarily as father and son.

This line still needs more work, Donald Lines Jacobus notwithstanding.

Beatrice Hill is another story:

1. Beatrice of Buntingsdale, Salop.
2. William Hill.
3. Alice de Bunbury. Her alleged ancestry was once posted to the list.
However, no supporting documentation was provided.
4. William Hill of Court of Hill.
5. Margaret Barker/Coverall. There is a genealogy in one of the older
journals. But it does not hang together chronologically.
8. Humphrey Hill of Court of Hill.
9. Agnes Bird of Chorlton, Cheshire.
10. Thomas Barker/Coverall.
16. Griffith Hill, d. 1433/4.
17. Margaret Warren of Ightfield. This is a muddled bunch.
18. John Bird.
19. Katherine de Malpas of Hampton, Cheshire.
36. William Hill.
37. Buntingsdale of Buntingsdale.
38. David de Malpas of Hampton.
39. Katherine de Bickerton of Bickerton, Cheshire.
72. Hugh Hill, d. after 1379.
73. Eleanor de Wlonkeslowe/Longslow of Longslow, Salop.

The Cheshire members are from Ormerod. The rest is from the George
Morris Collection as filmed by the Family History Center. It still needs
much investigation also. But is less ephemeral than the Moulton and
Wilbraham ladies.

Kay Allen AG
74. Alan de Buntingsdale.

Brent Miller

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00

Althea Van Pay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for information on the following three women:
>
> 1. Beatrice HILL, wife of William BULKELEY.

She is covered in Burke's Commoners, Vol. I, p. 655 as follows:

FIRST GENERATION

1. Beatrice HILL: born in of, Woore, Shropshire, England

SECOND GENERATION

2. HILL: married

THIRD GENERATION

4. William HILL: married
5. Alice DE BUNBURY

FOURTH GENERATION

8. William HILL: born in of, Blore; married
9. Margaret BARKER
10. Richard DE BUNBURY: married

FIFTH GENERATION

16. Humphrey HILL: born in of, Buntingale; married
17. Agnes BIRD
18. Thomas BARKER: married

SIXTH GENERATION

32. Griffith HULL: born in of, Hull, Shropshire, England; married
33. Margaret WARREN
34. John BIRD: married

SEVENTH GENERATION

64. William HULL: born in of, Hull, Shropshire, England; married
66. WARREN: married

EIGHTH GENERATION

128. Hugh HULL: born in of, Hull, Shropshire, England; married
129. Eleanor WLONKESLOWE

NINTH GENERATION

258. Hugh WLONKESLOWE: married

> 2. Grisell MOULTON, wife of Humphrey BULKELEY (he b. 1424), and mother of
> the above William.

> 3. Helen WILBRAHAM, wife of Hugh BULKELEY and mother of Humphrey above.

Also from Burke's Commoners, Vol. 1, p. 316:

FIRST GENERATION

1. Helen WILBRAHAM: born in of, Woore, Shropshire, England

SECOND GENERATION

2. Thomas WILBRAHAM: born in of, Woore, Shropshire, England; married; died in
1491
3. Margaret SWETTENHIM

THIRD GENERATION

4. Thomas WILBRAHAM: born in 1366 in of, Radnor; married; died in 1414
5. Margery GOLBURNE
6. Thomas DE SWETTENHAM: married

FOURTH GENERATION

8. Ralph WILBRAHAM: married
9. Felice HULME
10. John GOLBURNE: born in of, Woodhey, Cheshire, England; married

FIFTH GENERATION

16. William WILBRAHAM: married
17. Cecily

SIXTH GENERATION

32. William WILBRAHAM: born in of, Lettice Venables; married
33. Christian CROSSLEY

SEVENTH GENERATION

64. William DE WILBRAHAM: married

EIGHTH GENERATION

128. Richard DE WILBRAHAM Sir: married; died 2 Edward I
129. Letitia VENABLES

NINTH GENERATION

258. William VENABLES: born in of, Wymincham; married

Brent Miller

Kay Allen AG

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
Comments interspersed.

Brent Miller wrote:

> Althea Van Pay wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am looking for information on the following three women:
> >
> > 1. Beatrice HILL, wife of William BULKELEY.
>
> She is covered in Burke's Commoners, Vol. I, p. 655

Unfortunately, Burke's is notoriously rotten for this period and should
bu used with a salt shaker instead of just a grain of salt :-)

as follows:

> FIRST GENERATION
>
> 1. Beatrice HILL: born in of, Woore, Shropshire, England
>
> SECOND GENERATION
>
> 2. HILL: married
>
> THIRD GENERATION
>
> 4. William HILL: married
> 5. Alice DE BUNBURY
>
> FOURTH GENERATION
>
> 8. William HILL: born in of, Blore; married
> 9. Margaret BARKER
> 10. Richard DE BUNBURY: married

Alice de Bunbury is supposed to be sister to a Richard. Her parentage is
currently unproven.

> FIFTH GENERATION
>
> 16. Humphrey HILL: born in of, Buntingale; married
> 17. Agnes BIRD
> 18. Thomas BARKER: married
>
> SIXTH GENERATION
>
> 32. Griffith HULL: born in of, Hull, Shropshire, England; married

Given in Morris as Griffin. This would seem to me to be a Welsh
intrusion for Gruffudd. In Welsh the double dd is pronounced th.

> 33. Margaret WARREN
> 34. John BIRD: married
>
> SEVENTH GENERATION
>
> 64. William HULL: born in of, Hull, Shropshire, England; married
> 66. WARREN: married
>
> EIGHTH GENERATION
>
> 128. Hugh HULL: born in of, Hull, Shropshire, England; married
> 129. Eleanor WLONKESLOWE
>
> NINTH GENERATION
>
> 258. Hugh WLONKESLOWE: married
>

> > 2. Grisell MOULTON, wife of Humphrey BULKELEY (he b. 1424), and mother of
> > the above William.

I have guesstimated Humphrey, if he exists, being born 1430/35. But this
family needs much work in assigning dates.

> > 3. Helen WILBRAHAM, wife of Hugh BULKELEY and mother of Humphrey above.
>
> Also from Burke's Commoners, Vol. 1, p. 316:
>
> FIRST GENERATION
>
> 1. Helen WILBRAHAM: born in of, Woore, Shropshire, England

This Helen is never shown in any of the Wilbraham Pedigrees. If she does
exist, she may be from another, lesser known branch of the family.
Wilbrahams were of Woodhey, not of Woore.

> SECOND GENERATION
>
> 2. Thomas WILBRAHAM: born in of, Woore, Shropshire, England; married; died in
> 1491

7 August 1492.

> 3. Margaret SWETTENHIM
>
> THIRD GENERATION
>
> 4. Thomas WILBRAHAM: born in 1366

Born 1389 as 21 in Aug. 1410.

Burke's is only a generation off.

in of, Radnor; married; died in 1414

D. 19 Aug. 1467. Shows how good Burke's really is :-)

> 5. Margery GOLBURNE
> 6. Thomas DE SWETTENHAM: married

I hope you will purge your database of this garbage.

Kay Allen AG

Kay Allen AG

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
Brent Miller wrote:

> Althea Van Pay wrote:
>
> > Hello,

It appears that you may have typed things into your database off by a
generation. Burkes' gives regnal dates, not regular calendar dates.

> > 3. Helen WILBRAHAM, wife of Hugh BULKELEY and mother of Humphrey above.
>
> Also from Burke's Commoners, Vol. 1, p. 316:

> THIRD GENERATION
>
> 4. Thomas WILBRAHAM: born in 1366 in of, Radnor; married; died in 1414

b. ca. 1388/9; d. 19 Aug. 1467.

> 5. Margery GOLBURNE

> FOURTH GENERATION
>
> 8. Ralph WILBRAHAM: married
> 9. Felice HULME

The parents of the Thomas who married Margaret Golborne are Thomas who
d. 10 Dec. 1409 aged 38, and Margery de Leighes, dtr. of Thomas.

Ralph and Felice are that Thomas' parents.