Wevia the mother of Walter Giffard?

LONG...@aol.com

Jan 5, 2004, 7:40:47 PM1/5/04
Thanks to both Todd Farmerie and Gordon Kirkemo for their kind efforts in
answering my question regarding the de Says. Having first been answered by
Todd,
I was inspired to see what he had to say on other matters and stumbled upon
the article of his entitled “Robert de Torigny and the family of Gunnor,
Duchess
of Normandy,” in which it is stated that Gunnor’s sister, Wevia, married
Osberne de Bolbec, and from this marriage Walter Giffard was born. This
Walter
Giffard, I presume, is he who died about 1084, and who was a companion of
Duke
William, great-grandson of Gunnor and Richard I of Normandy.

I suppose it is mathematically possible, (and I have found a note that says
this claim was made by Jumièges) especially if Wevia was a good deal younger
than her sister Gunnor, but at the same time it seems a stretch. Perhaps Todd
would care to comment on this.

Doug Schneider (and thanks Todd, "in your capacity as a list owner").

Sutliff

Jan 5, 2004, 10:05:18 PM1/5/04
This is an excellent point which has bothered me for a long time. There
definitely seems to be a chronological problem as Gunnor must have been born
before 970 or even earlier, Wevia must have been considerably younger or
perhaps a generation has been omitted between Osbern and Wevia and Walter d.
1084.

Henry Sutliff

Todd A. Farmerie

Jan 5, 2004, 11:44:32 PM1/5/04
LONG...@aol.com wrote:

> I was inspired to see what he had to say on other matters and stumbled upon
> the article of his entitled “Robert de Torigny and the family of Gunnor,
> Duchess
> of Normandy,” in which it is stated that Gunnor’s sister, Wevia, married
> Osberne de Bolbec, and from this marriage Walter Giffard was born. This
> Walter
> Giffard, I presume, is he who died about 1084, and who was a companion of
> Duke
> William, great-grandson of Gunnor and Richard I of Normandy.
>
> I suppose it is mathematically possible, (and I have found a note that says
> this claim was made by Jumièges) especially if Wevia was a good deal younger
> than her sister Gunnor, but at the same time it seems a stretch. Perhaps Todd
> would care to comment on this.

This is a troubling puzzle that has been noticed before. This is
certainly what the surviving sources suggest, yet the chronology
is unquestionably long. Most are willing to accept the long
chronology by regarding Wevia as a younger sister (not
improbable, since her marriage to a norman nobleman would seem to
indicate that she was unmarried, and hence presumably juvenile,
when her sister endeared herself to the Duke, and that Walter was
a relatively old man in 1084. However, no one is entirely
comfortable with this, and numerous authors have suggested that
Robert of T may have commited the same error he appears to have
done with the Montgomerys and the Warennes - compressed two
generations of the same name into the same individual, such that
two successive Walters became one really old one.

taf