Anne le Boteler, contracted wife of Thomas Fitz James (Fitz Gerald), 7th Earl of Desmond

Douglas Richardson

Jun 8, 2009, 2:51:02 PM6/8/09
Dear Newsgroup ~

Back in 2004, I posted a record from the National Archives which
indicated that Anne le Boteler, daughter of James le Boteler (died
1452), 4th Earl of Ormond, was married or was contracted to marry in
1428-29 Thomas Fitz James (Fitz Gerald), 7th Earl of Desmond, son and
heir of James Fitz Gerald, 6th Earl of Desmond, by Mary, daughter of
Ulick mac Rickard Burk.

I assumed at the time that this marriage took place and was
childless. However, since my original post (see copy below), I've
located a record of a monumental inscription for Anne le Boteler which
indicates that she died 4 January 1435, and was buried in Shere,
Surrey [Reference: Stephenson, List of Mon. Brasses in Surrey (1921):
458]. The monumental inscription identifies Anne le Boteler merely as
the "daughter of the Earl of Ormond" and makes no reference to her
contracted marriage to Thomas Fitz James (Fitz Gerald).

As such, I have to assume that Anne and Thomas' marriage was a
marriage arranged by their parents when they were small children,
which practice was common in the time period among high born period.
I also assume that the bride died before the contracted marriage was
consumated.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +
COPY OF ORIGINAL POST

From: "Douglas Richardson royalances...@msn.com"
<royalances...@msn.com>
Date: 28 Dec 2004 01:13:22 -0800
Subject: C.P. Addition: Marriage of Thomas Fitz James, Earl of
Desmond, & Anne le Botiller

Dear Newsgroup ~

Complete Peerage 4 (1916): 247-248 (sub Desmond) has a good account of
the life history of Thomas Fitz James (Fitz Gerald), 7th Earl of
Desmond (died 1468). It states he married his cousin, Ellis, daughter
of William Barry, 8th Lord Barry or Barrymore. C.P. 14 confirms this
marriage, stating that Thomas and his wife, Ellis, were dispensed to
marry in 1455. This marriage must have been a late marriage for
Thomas, as I find that Thomas' own father was living by 1388 and earl
by 1420.

While searching through the helpful National Archives catalogue
recently (http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp), I
found the record of a earlier marriage of Thomas, Earl of Desmond, to
Anne le Botiller, daughter of James le Botiller, 4th Earl of Ormond
(died 1452) by his 1st wife, Joan, daughter of William Beauchamp, Lord
Bergavenny. The bond is dated 1428-1429, which is many years before
Thomas became Earl of Desmond.

C 147/118:
Grantor: James le Butiller, Earl of Ormond. Grantee: James FitzGerald,
Earl of Desmond. Place or Subject: Bond on the marriage of Thomas, son
of the Earl of Desmond, to Anne, daughter of the Earl of Ormond.
(Inspeximus by Nicholas [White], dean of the cathedral church of the
Holy Trinity, Waterford, 19 Hen VII). Date: 7 Henry VI [1428-29].

Presumably this marriage took place and was childless.

butl...@aol.com

Jun 13, 2009, 10:17:12 AM6/13/09
Good Morning,
Have you checked the "Calander of Ormonde Deeds", yet, often there are
references to this, if not, I will check in the next week and let you
know what I find.
For some reason or another, most Butler lines including this one are
not easy to find data on.
Best Regards,
Emmett

royala...@msn.com

Jun 13, 2009, 1:02:51 PM6/13/09

Dear Emmett ~

Although I have seen the book, Calender of Ormond Deeds, in the past,
I haven't checked it specifically for Anne le Botiller.

If you find anything helpful regarding Anne, please let me know.

butl...@aol.com

Jun 13, 2009, 6:33:34 PM6/13/09
Good Afternoon Richard,
Will go thru them (you may have seen one book, there are 4-5 volumes,
each several hundreds of pages long) containing grants, titles,
exchanges, wills etc., from I believe the original Theobald FitzWalter
(Butler) thru about the early 1600's. Hopefully it will be the part
where they have switched to old English style as parts of them are in
Latin and a difficult style of French that I cannot follow well but
for a word here and there.
Best Regards,
Emmett

butl...@aol.com

Jun 21, 2009, 6:42:02 PM6/21/09
Good Afternoon Richard et al,
I have found some information but got to the library a little late so
could not do further research. what I found was:

The Inquisition Post Mortem for James to become Earl Desmond was held
twice once in December1420 and a second one January 1421 altho there
is an earlier recording of theprevious Earl of Desmonds death at least
in reference on November 17,1414. The reason for its inclusion in the
Calender of Ormonde Deeds is that James Earl of Ormonde was the
Treasurer of Ireland for the Crown.

The marriage contract between James, Earl of Ormonde and James, Earl
of Desmond took place on May 10, 1429, wherein James Earl of Ormonde
gives to his daughter and husband the Barony of Inchecoyne and the
town of Youghal excepting the rents from the church.

Further Thomas FitzJamesFitzGerald was under age as was Anne as in the
recordings Thomas was sent to live with Johan/Johanna(both spellings
as in Latin and English) Countess of Ormonde, and said as"they were of
tender years of age" surmising probably 5-6 years of age. Also states
that should Thomas die that James would provide another son or if Anne
were to die that the Earl of Ormonde would provide another daughter
and they were to be allies etc. etc. etc.
Calender of Ormonde Deeds, Vol III, #88, pages 72-73 and other pages.

Richard, I was also wrong, been a long time, there are 6 volumes not 4
or 5 as I had remembered.
Hope this helps, will pursue more on Anne and Thomas as time permits.
Best Regards,
Emmett L. Butler

wjhonson

Jun 23, 2009, 12:24:51 AM6/23/09
On Jun 21, 3:42 pm, butler...@aol.com wrote:
> Good Afternoon Richard et al,
> I have found some information but got to the library a little late so
> could not do further research. what I found was:
>
> The Inquisition  Post Mortem for James to become EarlDesmondwas held

> twice once in December1420 and a second one January 1421 altho there
> is an earlier recording of theprevious Earl of Desmonds death at least
> in reference on November 17,1414. The reason for its inclusion in the
> Calender of Ormonde Deeds is that James Earl of Ormonde was the
> Treasurer of Ireland for the Crown.
>
> The marriage contract between James, Earl of Ormonde and James, Earl
> ofDesmondtook place on May 10, 1429, wherein James Earl of Ormonde

> gives to his daughter and husband the Barony of Inchecoyne and the
> town of Youghal excepting the rents from the church.

------------------------

The previous (6th) Earl of Desmond did not die in 1414.
He was however deprived of his Earldom, apparently on account of his
base marriage to one of his own retainers daughters and forced to flee
dying in exile at Rouen 10 Aug 1420.

That probably explains why you have IPM just after that cited death
date.
His father the 5th Earl was drowned in 1399.
Possibly the 1414 date might refer to the next brother Maurice who was
the second son, but he d.s.p. "in 1410" as Burke has it. Perhaps he
really died in 1414.

You'd have to review again the documents you read to see for certain
whether this accords, as Burke has it, or not.

Will Johnson

CE Wood

Jun 23, 2009, 12:32:48 PM6/23/09
The 6th Earl of Desmond James FitzGerald, died about 1462.

It was his nephew, Thomas FitzJohn FitzGerald, 5th Earl of Desmond,
who died in 1420, in Rouen or Paris.

CE Wood

CE Wood