Parentage and children of Elizabeth de Ferrers, wife of William le Marshal, Knt., and David ap Gruffudd, Prince of North Wales

Douglas Richardson

Jul 1, 2015, 4:11:44 PM7/1/15
Dear Newsgroup ~

There has been a discussion here recently on the newsgroup regarding the parentage and issue of Elizabeth de Ferrers, wife successively of Sir William le Marshal, Knt., deputy Marshal of Ireland [died 1265], and David ap Gruffudd, Knt., Prince of North Wales [executed 1283]. Elizabeth de Ferrers is alleged to have been the mother of William le Marshal's two known children. This post will address both issues.

There is not one, but two pieces of evidence which identify Elizabeth, wife of David ap Gruffudd, as the daughter of the Earl of Derby:

1. Riley, Willelmi Rishanger: quondam Monachi S. Albani, Chronica et Annales (Rolls Ser. 28) (1865): 91 (“David, fuga dilapsus, multis annis cum Rege Angliæ stetit; a quo, contra morem gentis suæ, miles factus, in ista guerra, ob probitatem et fidelitatem suam, plurimum erat Regi acceptus: unde et eidem castrum de Dimby [Denbigh] contulit in Wallia, cum terris ad valorem mille librarum annui redditus; insuper et uxorem dedit, filiam Comitis Derbeyæ, quæ nuper alio viro fuerat viduata.”) [also see Hog F. Nicholai Triveti, de ordine frat. praedicatorum, Annales (English Hist. Soc.) (1865): 298].

2. Luard, Annales Monastici 3 (Rolls Ser. 36) (1866): 298 (Annals of Dunstable sub A.D. 1283: “Eodem anno David, germanus Leulini, principis Walliæ, captus est per gentem domini regis ...et filius suus legitimus captus est cum eo .... Uxor etiam ipsius David, quæ fuit filia comitis de Ferares, alias capta est et inprisonata.”).

Accordingly, in 1908 the historian Ramsay identified Elizabeth, wife of David ap Gruffudd, as the daughter of Robert de Ferrers, Knt., 6th Earl of Derby [died 1279], by his first wife, Mary (or Marion) de Lusignan (or de la Marche) [living 1266], niece of King Henry III of England:

Ramsay, Dawn of the Constitution (1908): 338: “[King] Edward [I] knighted him [Dafydd ap Gruffudd], given him charge of Hope and Denbigh Castles, with lands valued at ₤1,000 a year, and married him to a kinswoman of his own, Elizabeth Ferrers, daughter of the ex-Earl of Derby, a Lusigan on the mother’s side, and widow of John [sic] Marshal of Norton.” END OF QUOTE.

Historians often make poor genealogists. Such is the case here. In this instance, we can be certain that Elizabeth is not a child of this couple. Robert de Ferrers and his first wife, Mary (or Marion), were married at Westminster in 1249 (by contract dated 26 July 1249). At the time of their marriage in 1249, Robert and Mary (or Marion) were both small children. Robert was aged nine (or born about 1240) and Mary (or Marion) was aged seven years of age, or born about 1242:

Luard, Annales Monastici 1 (Rolls Ser. 36) (1864): 285 (Annals of Burton sub 1249: “Isto anno Robertus de Ferrariis, puer ix. annorum, filius Willelmi de Ferrariis comitis Derbeiæ, desponsavit apud Westmonasterium, Mariam vii. annorum puellulam, neptem regis Henrici filiam fratris sui comitis Engolismi et Marchiæ.”).

The above record may be viewed at the following weblink:

https://books.google.com/books?id=IiilXTu_wrsC&pg=PA285&lpg=PA285

Given that Mary (or Marion) de Lusignan was born about 1242, the earliest that she conceivably have given birth would be no earlier than 1255, which is surely too late for her to be the mother of Elizabeth de Ferrers, who was herself a widow in 1265.

Although not mentioned in other published sources, it appears that Mary (or Marion) de Lusignan (or de la Marche) occurs as both Mary and Marion in contemporary records. The published Calendar of Liberate Rolls, for example, gives her name once as Mary and twice as Mariota. Mariota is simply the Latin form of Marion.

Calendar of Liberate Rolls 4 (1959): 176 (Mariota “the king’s niece” dwelling at Windsor in 1254), 185 (payment in 1254 for offerings and expenses of Mary de Ferrariis the king’s niece), 230 (Contrabreve in 1254 to Mary the king’s niece, wife of Robert de Ferrariis, to have transport at Dover for herself and her men, horses, and harness), 379 (payment in 1257 to king’s niece Mariota wife of Robert de Ferariis for expences for her journey “when she crossed the seas to Poitou.”).

Having ruled out Elizabeth de Ferrers as the daughter of Robert de Ferrers, 6th Earl of Derby, the next conceivable place to assign her in the Ferrers family tree would be as a daughter in the previous generation, that is, as the daughter of William de Ferrers, Knt., 5th Earl of Derby [died 1254], by his 2nd wife, Margaret (or Margery) de Quincy [died 1281], daughter and co-heiress of Roger de Quincy, 2nd Earl of Winchester. William and his wife, Margaret (or Margery), were married in or before 1238. The chronology works fine for this couple to be the parents of Elizabeth de Ferrers. This placement of Elizabeth as the daughter William de Ferrers, 6th Earl of Derby, is the position taken by Complete Peerage 4 (1916): 202, footnote a (sub Derby).

Although not mentioned in other published sources, it appears that Margaret (or Margery) de Quincy occurs as both Margaret and Margery in contemporary records. For instances of her as Margery, see the following two records:

1. Foster, Final Concords of Lincoln from the Feet of Fines A.D. 1244–1272 2 (Lincoln Rec. Soc. 17) (1920): 142 (fine dated 1256 between Ralph, Abbot of Croyland, and Margery countess of Ferrars).

2. In 1281 the king ratified the demise of John de Aysse, Vicomte of Tartas, to Baldwin Wake and Hawise his wife of custody of the manor of Southoe, Huntingdonshire which he had of the gift of the king by the extent of £40 2s. 8d. yearly to hold during the minority of the heirs of Margery, Countess of Derby [Reference: Cal. of Patent Rolls, 1272–1281 (1901): 459–460].

Complete Peerage 8 (1932): 527–528 (sub Marshal) includes a good account of Elizabeth de Ferrers' first husband, Sir William le Marshal. Although Elizabeth was previously identified as Elizabeth de Ferrers in Complete Peerage, 4 (1916): 202, footnote a (sub Derby), strangely in the Marshal account in volume 8 her parentage is given as unknown:

"William Marshal, knight, ... livery of his lands was granted 3 Dec. 1242 ... He married Elizabeth, whose parentage is unknown. He was dead in September 1265. His widow had a compassionate grant in June 1266; and married, 2ndly, David, son of Griffith Prince of Wales. She was living in summer of 1297." END OF QUOTE.

Inasmuch as Elizabeth is listed as the only wife of Sir William Marshal, the implication is that she was the mother of his two sons, John [born about 1257, died 1282] and William. However, elsewhere in Complete Peerage 10 (1945): 182, footnote h (sub Orty), Sir William Marshal is correctly shown to have married (1st) Pernel del Ortiay (or de Lorty), daughter of Henry del Ortiay (or Lorty), Knt.

The latest volume of Complete Peerage, volume 14 (1998): 468 (sub Marshal) affirms that Sir William Marshal married "1stly, Pernel, daughter of Sir Henry Orty." However, it incorrectly identifies William Marshal's 2nd wife, Elizabeth, as the daughter of Robert de Ferrers, 6th Earl of Derby. So we have one correct statement here followed by a statement of error.

As far as which of William Marshal's wives was the mother of his children, it seems certain that Pernel de Ortiay was the mother of his son and heir, John le Marshal, born about 1257. We can be reasonably sure of this as John le Marshal and his wife, Hawise de Say, are known to have had four children, namely three sons, William, Knt., John, and Anselm, Knt., and one daughter, Pernel (wife of Thomas de Vere, Knt.). Given the fact that John le Marshal named his only known daughter, Pernel, it is a good indication that she was named for his mother.

As for other evidence that John le Marshal was Elizabeth de Ferrers' step-son, I find that in 1279 David son of Griffin and Elizabeth [de Ferrers] his wife sued John le Mareschal for a third of the manor of Colton, Staffordshire as the dower of Elizabeth; John stated he only held a rent of 12s. of which he offered a third. Reference: Wrottesley, Staffordshire Suits: Plea Rolls (Colls. Hist. Staffs. 6(1)) (1885): 100, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924087798371;view=1up;seq=114

While a woman usually obtained dower easily from her lawful son and heir, it is fairly common to see a step-mother suing for her dower. As such, the above lawsuit can be taken as a slight indication that Elizabeth de Ferrers was the step-mother (not mother) of the defendant, John le Marshal.

In summary, evidence has been presented that Elizabeth de Ferrers, wife of Sir William le Marshal, and Sir David ap Gruffudd, was the daughter of William de Ferrers, 5th Earl of Derby, by his 2nd wife, Margaret (or Margery) de Quincy. It has also been shown that before his marriage to Elizabeth de Ferrers, Sir William le Marshal was previously married to Pernel del Ortiay (or de Lorty), by whom he appears to have had two sons, John and William. By her 2nd marriage to Sir David ap Gruffudd, Elizabeth de Ferrers is thought to have had two sons, Llywelyn and Owain, and seven daughters, including Gwladus. It is thought that all nine children died young or without issue, so Elizabeth de Ferrers has no known living descendants.

I've copied below my account of Elizabeth de Ferrers, which information is taken from my book, Royal Ancestry [5 volume set], published in 2013. Parties interested in obtaining a copy of this book may contact me offlist.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + +

ELIZABETH DE FERRERS, married (1st) (as his 2nd wife) WILLIAM LE MARSHAL, Knt. [see HINGHAM 5], of Greens Norton and Whittlebury, Northamptonshire, King’s Charlton, Gloucestershire, Cowley, Oxfordshire, Colton, Staffordshire, Hazlebury (in Box), Wiltshire, etc., deputy Marshal of Ireland, of Hingham and Foulsham, Norfolk, Chirton, Wiltshire, etc., younger son of John Marshal, Marshal of Ireland, by Aline, daughter and co-heiress of Hubert de Rye [see HINGHAM 4 for his ancestry]. They had no issue. He was heir in 1242 to his elder brother, John Marshal. In 1247, as William Marshal, of Norton, he reached agreement with William de Brackley, Prior of Luffield, whereby he quitclaimed the service of a pair of gilt spurs and suit of court every three week in respect of an estate at Monksbarn (in Whittlebury), Northamptonshire, so that the prior should thereafter hold of him in free alms, quit of all secular service. The same year he also reached agreement with the Templars regarding rent owed for land in Cowley, Oxfordshire. He was granted weekly markets to be held at the manors of Haselbury Plucknett, Somerset and Messingham, Lincolnshire in 1265. SIR WILLIAM LE MARSHAL died Sept. 1265. In Feb. 1266, the king having granted the king’s nephew, Henry of Almain, all the lands and tenements in Norton, Northamptonshire formerly of William the Marshal his messenger, he ordered that the goods and chattels formerly of the said William be delivered to the said Henry. His widow, Elizabeth, married (2nd) before 1274–5 (date of lawsuit) DAVID AP GRUFFUDD, Knt., Prince of North Wales, and, in right of his wife, of Foulsham, Norfolk, Colton, Staffordshire, etc., younger son of Gruffudd ap Llywelyn, by Senena ferch Cadadog. They had two sons, Llywelyn and Owain, and seven daughters, including Gwladus. By his mistress, Tangwystl, daughter of Owain Fflam, of Deheubarth, he also had an illegitimate son, Dafydd Goch. In 1242 his mother, Senena, agreed to give him and his brother, Roderick, as hostages to King Henry III of England. In 1252, as lord of Cwmwd Maen, he entered into a composition with the Abbot and convent of Bardsey. He presented to the church of Plumpton, Northamptonshire 24 Dec. 1273. In 1274–5 Hubert de Rully and Isabel his wife arraigned an assize of mort d’ancestor against David Fitz-Griffin touching a mill in Foulsham, Norfolk. In 1275–6 Hubert de Ruyly and Isabel his wife, and Nicholas de Pulham and Aveline his wife arraigned an assize of mort d’ancestor against David ab Gruffud and Elizabeth his wife touching a mill in Foulsham, Norfolk. In 1278–9 William son of Alexander de Blacolnesl’' [Blakesley] arraigned an assize of novel disseisin against David ab Gruffud and others touching a tenement in Great Blakesley, Northamptonshire. In the same year Albric de Wytlebiry arraigned a similar assize against David ab Gruffud and others touching a tenement in Great Blakesley, Northamptonshire. In 1279 David and his wife, Elizabeth, sued her step-son, John le Marshal, for a third of the manor of Colton, Staffordshire as the dower of Elizabeth; John stated he only held a rent of 12s. of which he offered a third. In 1280 the king seised the third part of the manor of Haselbury, Somerset, which David and his wife, Elizabeth, held as the dower of the said Elizabeth of the lands which were of William Marshal her late husband; later the same year the king wishing to grant indulgence to the said David and Elizabeth ordered that the third part of the manor be restored to them. In 1282 David suddenly surprised the Castle of Hawarden, killed many of the knights and squires who formed the garrison, and carried off Roger de Clifford, the Justiciary, as a prisoner into the hills. DAVID AP GRUFFUDD, Prince of North Wales, was executed for treason 3 October 1283. His widow, as “Lady Elizabeth de Ferrers,” presented to the church of Plumpton, Northamptonshire in 1285. She presented to the church of Greens Norton, Northamptonshire 20 Dec. 1296, which presentation was disputed by King Edward I, as guardian of William, heir of John Marshal. In 1297 she had a prolonged lawsuit in the royal courts with Sir Hugh de Cave regarding the right of patronage to the church of Plumpton, Northamptonshire.

Blomefield, Essay towards a Top. Hist. of Norfolk 1 (1739): 672–679. Bridges, Hist. & Antiqs. of Northamptonshire 1 (1791): 241, 255. Ellis, Original Letters Ill. of English Hist. 3rd Ser. 1 (1846): 27–29 (letter of King Edward I to the Prior and Prioress of Alvingham, Lincolnshire dated 1283 that they admit one or more of the children of Llewelyn ap Gruffudd, late Prince of Wales, or of David his brother into their House.). Arch. Cambrensis 4 (1849): 134–138. Riley, Willelmi Rishanger: quondam Monachi S. Albani, Chronica et Annales (Rolls Ser. 28) (1865): 91 (“David, fuga dilapsus, multis annis cum Rege Angliæ stetit; a quo, contra morem gentis suæ, miles factus, in ista guerra, ob probitatem et fidelitatem suam, plurimum erat Regi acceptus: unde et eidem castrum de Dimby [Denbigh] contulit in Wallia, cum terris ad valorem mille librarum annui redditus; insuper et uxorem dedit, filiam Comitis Derbeyæ, quæ nuper alio viro fuerat viduata.”) [also see Hog F. Nicholai Triveti, de ordine frat. praedicatorum, Annales (English Hist. Soc.) (1865): 298]. Luard, Annales Monastici 3 (Rolls Ser. 36) (1866): 298 (Annals of Dunstable sub A.D. 1283: “Eodem anno David, germanus Leulini, principis Walliæ, captus est per gentem domini regis ...et filius suus legitimus captus est cum eo .... Uxor etiam ipsius David, quæ fuit filia comitis de Ferares, alias capta est et inprisonata.”). Annual Rpt. of the Deputy Keeper 44 (1883): 109; 45 (1885): 176, 291; 46 (1886): 174–175; 48 (1887): 22. Rye, Short Cal. of the Feet of Fines for Norfolk 1 (1885): 84. Wrottesley, Staffordshire Suits: Plea Rolls (Colls. Hist. Staffs. 6(1)) (1885): 100. Colls. Hist. Staffs. 8 (1887): 10. Trans. Honourable Soc. of Cymmrodorion Session 1899–1900 (1901): 6–105; Session 1968, 1: 43–62. C.Ch.R. 1 (1903): 262–263; 2 (1906): 53. Ramsay, Dawn of the Constitution (1908): 338 (“[King] Edward [I] knighted him [Dafydd ap Gruffudd], given him charge of Hope and Denbigh Castles, with lands valued at ₤1,000 a year, and married him to a kinswoman of his own, Elizabeth Ferrers, daughter of the ex-Earl of Derby, a Lusigan on the mother’s side, and widow of John [sic] Marshal of Norton.”). C.P.R. 1258–1266 (1910): 602. Lloyd, Hist. of Wales 2 (1911): 259. Somersetshire Pleas 4(1) (Somerset Rec. Soc. 44) (1929): 225–226, 351–352. C.P. 8 (1932): 527–528 (sub Marshal); 10 (1945): 182 footnote h (sub Orty); 14 (1998): 468 (sub Marshal). Leys, Sandford Cartulary 1 (Oxfordshire Rec. Soc. 19) (1938): 37–38 (final concord between Master Robert de Saunford and William Marshal dated 1247), 38–40 (final concord between Geoffrey Fitz John and William Marshal dated 1247). Sutton, Rolls & Reg. of Bishop Oliver Sutton, 1280–1299 2 (Lincoln Rec. Soc. 43) (1950): 48, 141–142. VCH Oxford 5 (1957): 76–96. Sanders, English Baronies (1960): 53. Elvey, Luffield Priory Charters 1 (Buckingham Rec. Soc. 22) (1968): 163, 178–179 (charter dated 1274–5 of Christian de Wayford to Luffield Priory, granted for the souls of Lady Elizabeth wife of Sir David Griffin, Sir William Marshal, and others); 2 (Buckingham Rec. Soc. 26) (1968): 367. Bartrum, Welsh Gens. 300–1400 (1980): 447 [Gruffudd ap Cynan 5: “Dafydd d. 1283 Ld. of Denbigh & Hope = Elizabeth d. Robt. Ferrers, E. of Derby”]. T.G. 1 (1980): 80–95. Cannon, Dict. of British Hist. (2001) (biog. of Dafydd ap Gruffydd). Fritze & Robison, Hist. Dict. of Late Medieval England, 1272–1485 (2002): 144–145 (biog. of Dafydd ap Gruffydd). National Archives, SC 1/16/103 (available at www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp).

Jan Wolfe

Jul 2, 2015, 2:46:43 AM7/2/15
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 4:11:44 PM UTC-4, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> Dear Newsgroup ~
>
> There has been a discussion here recently on the newsgroup regarding the parentage and issue of Elizabeth de Ferrers, wife successively of Sir William le Marshal, Knt., deputy Marshal of Ireland [died 1265], and David ap Gruffudd, Knt., Prince of North Wales [executed 1283]. Elizabeth de Ferrers is alleged to have been the mother of William le Marshal's two known children. This post will address both issues.

> Although not mentioned in other published sources, it appears that Margaret (or Margery) de Quincy occurs as both Margaret and Margery in contemporary records. For instances of her as Margery, see the following two records:
>
> 1. Foster, Final Concords of Lincoln from the Feet of Fines A.D. 1244-1272 2 (Lincoln Rec. Soc. 17) (1920): 142 (fine dated 1256 between Ralph, Abbot of Croyland, and Margery countess of Ferrars).
>
> 2. In 1281 the king ratified the demise of John de Aysse, Vicomte of Tartas, to Baldwin Wake and Hawise his wife of custody of the manor of Southoe, Huntingdonshire which he had of the gift of the king by the extent of £40 2s. 8d. yearly to hold during the minority of the heirs of Margery, Countess of Derby [Reference: Cal. of Patent Rolls, 1272-1281 (1901): 459-460].

Thanks for this informative post, Douglas.

Concerning Margaret/Margery de Quincy, is the Patent Roll entry (2., quoted above) a translation, rather than a transcription, of the actual record? Records in the Close Rolls, dated 25 May 1281 (p.85), 21 January 1288/89 (p. 2, next volume) and 21 November 1293 (p. 335), concerning the same property and heir, name her as Margaret.
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000007141082;view=1up;seq=97
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=miun.abd4813.0003.001;view=1up;seq=14
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=miun.abd4813.0003.001;view=1up;seq=347

I wonder what name is written in each of the original records of these entries.

The quoted entry above has a minor typo. It should end, "Margery, Countess of Ferrers."
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015031081063;view=1up;seq=480

D. Spencer Hines

Jul 2, 2015, 4:46:20 PM7/2/15
Terrific Post, Douglas. Absolutely First-Rate. Just what we need in SGM.
Detailed and thorough.

One small note:

You say:

"Having ruled out Elizabeth de Ferrers as the daughter of Robert de Ferrers,
6th Earl of Derby, the next conceivable place to assign her in the Ferrers
family tree would be as a daughter in the previous generation, that is, as
the daughter of William de Ferrers, Knt., 5th Earl of Derby [died 1254], by
his 2nd wife, Margaret (or Margery) de Quincy [died 1281], daughter and
co-heiress of Roger de Quincy, 2nd Earl of Winchester. William and his
wife, Margaret (or Margery), were married in or before 1238. The chronology
works fine for this couple to be the parents of Elizabeth de Ferrers. This
placement of Elizabeth as the daughter William de Ferrers, 6th Earl of
Derby, [sic] is the position taken by Complete Peerage 4 (1916): 202,
footnote a (sub Derby)."

So, that's actually William de Ferrers [1193-1254], 5th Earl of Derby,
right?

As in:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_de_Ferrers,_5th_Earl_of_Derby>

Best Regards, Spencer

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John
VIII:32 KJV