The Wife of Ralph de Neville of Scotton (d. ca. 1212)

John Watson

Jan 3, 2010, 4:42:45 AM1/3/10
to the...@aol.com
Hi all,

John Ravilious in his 15 December post to SGM concerning the "Ancestry
of d'Aubigny (Daubeney) of S. Ingleby", shows an unknown daughter of
Elias d'Aubigny who married Sir Ralph de Neville of Scotton (d. ca.
1212).
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gen-medieval/2009-12/1260877619

In 1189, this Ralph de Neville was holding three fees of the abbot of
Peterborough in Scotton, Manton (Lincs) and elsewhere (EYC, ii, 463).

I think that I have discovered his wife's name in the reports of two
law suits in the Curia Regis rolls of 1220 and 1221 relating to
Manton.

The first suit in Michealmas Term 4-5 Henry III [1220] in Lincolnshire
concerns "Drusiana de Alban'" versus the dean and precentors of
Lincoln and Adam de St. Edmund about the lay fee of this Drusiana in
in Malmeton' [Manton] [1].

In the second suit in Easter Term, 5 Henry III, [1221] in
Lincolnshire, the abbot of Louth [Park] was attached concerning this
case by "Drusiane que fuit uxor Radulfi de Nevill" about the fee in
Mamestan' [Manton] [2].

Drusiane or Drusiana is an unusual name and I have no doubt that
Drusiana de Alban' (d'Aubigny) and Drusiana, the widow of Ralph de
Neville are the same person.

Regards,

John