Rose Freville of Little Shelford

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 9, 2005, 5:41:15 AM9/9/05
I have tracked down a copy of "The Genealogical History of the Freville
Family" by A.W. Franks (Cambrudge Antiquarian Society Quarto Series, No
XIV: Miscellaneous Communications No 1, from p 4).

This provides some further information on the Frevilles of Little
Shelford, which I will post shortly under that thread, but in
particular gives some details of Rose, wife of Robert Freville, whose
identity has been discussed here previously. Franks says:

"It is uncertain who this Rose Freville was: she is described in her
husband's will as a relation of Sir Robert Peyton [not strictly true -
he is named as one of the "friends and kinsmen" who are her trustees].
Now Layer mentioned that Robert Freville married Beatrix, daughter of
Anthony Haselden; Sir Robert Peyton married Frances, daughter and heir
of Sir (sic) Francis Haselden, the brother of Anthony, so that it is
not unlikely that Rose and Beatrix are one and the same person."

He also makes reference to Rose's will, in which she makes various
bequests (my photocopy unfortunately omits the relevant page),
including "a payer of beads of curall wt gylted gaudys [and] my ryng of
gold wt the 5 wounds" to her daughter Hutton, and in which she names
her "sisters Swete and Thirlaw".

Franks has a footnote thus: "Margaret Thirlaw, will Ely 1528".

These two may, of course, be sisters-in-law of Rose, i.e. sisters of
Robert Freville, but if they are her own sisters, perhaps their
identity would assist in identifying Rose.

Michael

Sutliff

Sep 10, 2005, 12:34:37 AM9/10/05
This is very interesting.

I show that Anthony Haselden had a daughter named Elizabeth who was wife of
Richard Bury of Hengrange, Bedfordshire.

Anthony's wife was allegedly one Jane Marshall, but I have not attempted to
verify that or trace her ancestry. Indeed it has been several years since I
have examined this.

I think your Thirlaw and Swete/Swett clues may help in the identity. I do
not have any daughters listed for John Freville d. 1505 so cannot comment on
their being his daughters or Rose's sisters.

HS

<mj...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 10, 2005, 5:18:56 AM9/10/05
Thanks Hap. Antony Haselden's will, proved PCC 1 June 1527 (PROB
11/22) contains various relationship references; here are some
snippets:

"I ANTONY HASILDEN (1) of Gilden Morden in the countie of Cambridge
Esquire...my body to be buried if it might be... in the p[ar]isshe
church of Walpole or Chapell"; bequests to churches of Guilden Morden,
Meldreth and Littlington; "WILLIAM MY SON (2) and the heirs of his
body lawfully begotten, and for the default of issue of the said
William, I will it remain to ELIZABETH MY DAUGHTER (3), and for default
of issue of Elizabeth I will it shall be sold... and the money thereof
to be done in deeds of charitable (sic)"; a priest to sing for a year
at Morden church, and second at Meldreth church for "my ffather, my
mother, MY BROTHER FFRAUNCIS (4) w[i]t[h] all my good friends; feoffees
to stand and be seized of the manor of Wayses [Veysies, in Medlreth &
Melbourne] to the use of JANE MY WIFE (5), she paying onto unto (sic)
MY SUSTER (sic) GRAYES MAISTER LATE WIFE TO THOMAS CALDECOTE (6) £5 of
good and lawful mony gyven his Wife (sic) and also to DOROTHE WRYND (7)
another £5 during his (sic) life; to son William "a litle gilte cupp
which was my brothers"; if he die, "I will Elizabeth my daughter have
hit"; if ELizabeth die, "I will MY N[I]ECE PAYTON (8)have it if she be
living or else the children of Elizabeth"; "THOMAS CHICHELE (9) and
WILLIAM CHAMBER (10) and Jane my wife" to be executors; "revenues"
arising from the warship and nonage of THOMAS DYRONS (11); "MY COSEN
LAURENCE CHEYNE" (12); "MY COSEN DOKEREY (13)"; "MY COSEN CRUSTIFOR
GRENE(14)".

There follows a codicil with the following references:

"MY NEVEWE CHICHELEY "; "I will the ... William my sonne and Elizabeth
my daughter and GEORGE ANSTY(15) in to t[he] hands of my Nevewe
Chicheley and his wife and George Ansty to mar[r]y my daughter my wife
[latter word scored through] my daughter (sic) Elizabeth, and also that
my sayed Nevewe have THOMAS DERON and FFRANCIS HIS BROTHER (16) in
likewise in his custody and to make the beste of him" that he can
towards the purchasing of land; "All suche plate as I had by the deathe
of MY LORDE OF SAINT JOHAN (17)" to be sold towards the purchasing of
land for my heirs; "I will that CLEMENT CHICHELEY MY GODSONNE (18)
shall... praye for my soule"; "I will that that CHILDE (19) my wife
hath nowe w[i]t]h all shall have iff God send it life to it [have when
it come to] lawful age £40" if William and Elizabeth are still living
but "if it please God to take William my sonne and this be a boy that
she hath and like to it come to lawful age, I will that hit inherit as
William sholde, and if hit be a daughter, to have her parte"; "I will
that MY COSEN WILLIAM HASILDEN (20) have my house"; "MY NEVEWE WILLIAM
CALROSS [?CALROSS?] (21)" £20 at 23; "I will that MY NEVEWE JOHN
DOCRAY by my supervisor of this my last will"; "I will that JOHN MAIST
(22) have iii quarters whete... and also MARGARETT REYFFE" (23); "I
will that MY COSEN XPOFER BURGOYN (24) have ii payres of my beste ..."

Notes:

(1) Antony Hasilden, 1st son of John Hasilden of Morden by Elizabeth
Cheyney (Vis. Cambs); IPM 23 Henry VIII (C 142/69/94)

(2) William Hasilden, son and heir of Antony Hasilden by his wife Jane;
died apparently without issue; IPM 35 Henry VIII (C 142/69/94)

(3) Elizabeth Hasilden, daughter "and heir" of Antony Hasilden by his
wife Jane (Vis. Cambs); married Richard Bury of Hengrange, Bedford
(op.cit.)

(4) Francis Hasilden, of Chesterford, Essex, 2nd son of John Hasilden
by Elizabeth Cheyney; will proved PCC 21 November 1522 [Prob 11/20]

(5) Jane, wife of Antony Hasilden; living 1529 or later, when sued as
one of her husband's executors re the detention of deeds [C 1/665/1 -
PRO]

(6) I read this to mean that Antony had a sister Grace, married firstly
to Thomas Caldecote, and secondly to Mr Maister

(7) Unknown

(8) Frances Haselden, daughter and heir of Francis Hasilden and
Elizabeth, married to Sir Robert Peyton of Isleham (Vis. Cambs)

(9) Thomas Chicheley, married Elizabeth Docwra, daughter of Antony's
sister Catherine Hasilden by her first husband, James Docwra

(10) William Chamber - unidentified - but PROCAT shows a Henry VIII
action for trespass against Anthony Hasilden, Thomas Hutton, Thomas
Chicheley and William Misterchamber [STAC 2/32/64] - perhaps cf "Grace
Maister"?

(11) Unknown

(12) Laurence Cheney, son of William Cheney (brother to Antony
Hasilden's mother) and Elizabeth Wentworth

(13) John Docwra, son of Antony Hasilden's sister Catherine Docwra nee
Hasilden

(14) Unknown

(15) Unknown; this marriage may not have taken place, given that
Elizabeth is shown as wife of Richard Bury in the Visitations

(16) Unknown

(17) Possibly Sir Thomas Docwra, Prior of the Knights of St John, who
died in 1527?

(18) Unknown

(19) I know of no such further child

(20) William Hasilden, son of Anthony Haselden's uncle Richard Hasilden
(Vis. Cambs)

(21) Unknown

(22) Unknown

(23) Unknown

(24) Christopher Burgoyne, died 1562, son of Thomas Burgoyne of Long
Stanton; married Thomasine, daughter of Robert & Rose Freville

MAR

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 10, 2005, 11:43:23 AM9/10/05
Chronology:

We know from his father's IPM that Robert Freville was born circa 1479.
His will, made on the 7th of April 1521 in evident contemplation of
his death (which took place later that month) leaves a bequest to his
[eldest] son John at the age of 22 - so John cannot have been born
before 1499. Anne his daughter is left 12 pence (?) without
restriction, while his other daughters and sons are to receive their
bequests at 22 (or marriage, if earlier, in the case of the other
daughters). Anne may well have already been 22 at that time; perhaps
she was married - her husband Thomas Hutton is named as a feoffee in
the will.

By the time that Rose his wife came to write her will 20 April 1529,
John was presumably of legal age, for - despite a confusing provision
in which she urges him to "be good and gentill to myn Executor" she in
fact names him as her sole executor. Three of her daughters, including
Anne are married, and no age restrictions are placed on her sons'
inheritances.

However, in making reference to his wife's jointure, Robert's will
contains the following:

"... be paid to the use of the said Rose my wife for term of her life
natural, without impeachment of waste, in and for that jointure of the
said Rose according to an Indenture between me the said Robert
[Freville] on that one part and Sir Robert Peyton, knight, and other
friends and kinsmen of the said Rose my said wife on that other part,
the date whereof be the xxvii day of April the vth year of the reign of
King Henry the viiith".[i.e. 1513].

1513 cannot possibly be the marriage date of Robert and Rose, however,
it is more likely to have been circa 1500.

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 10, 2005, 3:47:31 PM9/10/05
Having looked at the Hasilden evidence, I now turn to some Peyton
material. I have three wills which detail various relations of the
Peyton family of Isleham - no clear connection with the Frevilles and
nothing to assist in identifying Rose.

(1) Will of Thomas Peyton, proved PCC October 1491 (Prob 11/8)

the 1st day of August, 5 Henry VII; my wife to have Bernham for life;
my brother Robert Peyton to have my roan horse; my brother John to have
a gown of French tawny furred with cony; my servant Thomas Leyton (sic)
to have my grey gelding and a gown of French tawny furred with white; I
will and charge that my debts be contented and paid: first to Wardys
Wife of Clerkenwell, £..; to H. Skynners, .. marks; item, to my sadler
and corwainer I cannot tell what but by their conference, but see what
it is and let it be contented. I will that Sir William Sonedall have
my gown of damask furred with ...; to my sister Isabel Hamete I
bequeath in ready money £20; to Walter Frost, my gown and the fur or
the ... if my black gown; to Master Frost, chaplain to my Lord Prior, I
bequeath a gown of ... furred with...; to William Mahoun (?) my
father-in-law a ... gown of russett furred with black; to my Lady
Haistered my mother-in-law, £20; to Elizabeth Lovekote my wife...

(but cf PROCAT C1/204/56 John Gaynesford and Anne his wife formerly the
wife of Thomas Peyton the younger v. Thomas, Marquess of Dorset & Sir
John Fiennes, feoffees, and Sir Robert Peyton, knight, brother of the
said Thomas Peyton: the manor of Wicken, formerly belonging to Thomas
Peyton, grandfather of the said Thomas: 1486-1529]

(2) Christopher Peyton of Isleham, proved PCC 1507:

to be buried in the parish church at Isleham; Elizabeth my wife; my
nephew Sir Robert Peyton, knight; my brother Francis Peyton; his son
Christopher Peyton; John Peyton my godson; Edward Peyton my nephew; Sir
Christopher Green [see Monumental Brass at Isleham, a priest - MAR];
William Knight, his wife, and John and Christopher his sons

(3) Sir Robert Peyton, proved 20 April 1518 (PROB 11/19):

to be buried at Isleham; obit to pray for the soul of my brother John
Peyton; scutcheon with my father's arms to be erected on the wall of St
Giles' church, London, for a remembrance; prieat to pray for the soul
of Geffrey Lofton and Grace his wife; my wife Dame Elizabeth Peyton;
Robert my eldest son; John my second son; Edward my third son; Frances
wife of my son Robert; Elizabeth my daughter; Margaret my daughter;
Edward Peyton my brother; to Jane Langley a standing cup in sisterly
remembrance; Dorothy Peyton my sister; Francis Peyton my uncle; his son
Christopher Peyton; my executors to have the wardship of Robert Lofton;
my father and mother Thomas Peyton, esquire, and Jane his wife;
executors to be wife Elizabeth and William Butte of Cambridge;
supervisors to be Lord John, Abbot of Bury St Edmunds, and my
well-beloved father-in-law Sir Robert Clere, knight; indentures between
me and Francis Hasilden for the marriage of my son and heir and his
daughter Frances dated January 7 Henry VIII, that they "should
intermarry together before the feast of the Purification of Our Lady
the Virgin next ensuing and... by the advice of their said friends
after the law of the Holy Church, before the said feast of the
Purification they were solemply (sic) espoused and married, and by
cause of youth and tender age, as well as the said Robert the son as of
the said Frances the daughter, no carnal copulation was not now yet
between [them]"; feoffees in respect of the manor of Esthorp, including
Robert Frevyll, Esquire; lands bought from Elizabeth late the wife of
Christopher Peyton of Isleham; witnesses include Christopher Green,
clerk.

[cf PROCAT C1/568/31 Edward Skydmore & Isabel his wife, Roger Wigston &
Cristyan his wife, and John Huntley & Alice his wife v. Jane, late the
wife of John Langley (whose heirs the said Isabel, Cristyan and Alice
are) and subsequently [the wife] of George Ryngeley, and Elizabeth late
the wife of Robert Peyton, knight, brother of the said Jane: 1518-1529]

MAR

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 10, 2005, 3:50:03 PM9/10/05
PS History of Parliament gives a birth-date of c1502 to George
Freville, younger son of Robert & Rose.

Sutliff

Sep 10, 2005, 7:12:36 PM9/10/05

<mj...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
<snip>

[cf PROCAT C1/568/31 Edward Skydmore & Isabel his wife, Roger Wigston &
Cristyan his wife, and John Huntley & Alice his wife v. Jane, late the
wife of John Langley (whose heirs the said Isabel, Cristyan and Alice
are) and subsequently [the wife] of George Ryngeley, and Elizabeth late
the wife of Robert Peyton, knight, brother of the said Jane: 1518-1529]

MAR

I believe the above John Huntley refers possibly to John Huntley of Boxwell,
Glos. d. 1543. His wife was Alice Langley, daughter of Edmund Langley of
Siddington, Glos. Alice was first the wife of Thomas Endon. I am sorry I do
not have more time at the moment to check into this further so as to be of
more assistance.

HS

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 12, 2005, 8:58:24 AM9/12/05
The Peyton entry in Vis. Cambs. says that Sir Robert's sister Joan
married "John Langley", his sister Elizabeth married "Edward Langley of
Kent" and his sister Anne married "John Ashby of Hatfield" [there is a
footnote questioning whether this should actually be "Ashley".

I have looked at the Consistory Court of Ely will index, and can
correct the above reference by Franks thus:

Margaret Thirlowe of Thriplow, 1532 [NB not 1528]
Nicholas Thirlowe of Thriplow, 1519

VCH Cambs, Vol 8, sub Thriplow, tells us that "by the later 15th
century some families, particularly the Primes and Thurlows, were
emerging from the tenant class to a point of prominence, maintained
later as lessees of considerable estates. The wealthy yeoman Nicholas
Thurlow (d 1519) leased the Bury manor and owned the estate called
Bassets."

It is interesting to note that Robert and Rose Freville named one of
their sons Nicholas - a name not otherwise known in the Freville
family.

I shall get copies of these wills.

MAR

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 13, 2005, 6:10:41 PM9/13/05
Copies of both Thirlowe wills duly ordered; shall report back when they
arrive.

Douglas Richardson royalancestry@msn.com

Sep 14, 2005, 7:50:23 PM9/14/05
Thank you for keeping us informed regarding your ongoing research on
the Freville family. Much appreciated.

Website: www.royalancestry.net

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 22, 2005, 3:07:38 PM9/22/05
The wills of Nicholas and Margaret Thirlow confirm the connection to
the Frevilles, but don't spell it out.

Nicholas (1519) names Margaret his wife; Elizabeth Hawke his daughter
and her husband John Hawke the elder; his daughter Clemence; and the
feoffees to uses in respect of a messuage and arable land (Nicholas and
his wife having life interest, then to his testamentary dispostion),
including Robert Freville, Esquire, John Saint George, gentleman, and
Nicholas Prynne.

Margaret (1532) names her sons Jeffrey Orgar and Roger Orgar; her
daughter Rose; her daughter Elizabeth; her god-daughter Margaret
Prynne; John, son of Nicholas Prynne, and Katherine Prynne. She left
property at Badburgh (sp?)

I shall cross-reference this with the will of Rose Freville shortly.

MAR

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 22, 2005, 6:08:21 PM9/22/05
Having been able to look over the full text of Rose Freville's will, I
can confirm that she mentions the following:

late husband Robert Freville of Little Shelford, esquire
my son John Freville
my son George Freville
my son Nicholas Freville
my daughter Hutton
my daughter Burgoyn
my daughter Margaret
my daughter Mary
my daughter Elizabeth
my son[in-law] William Walpole
Thomas Hutton, esquire
my godson John Hutton [no doubt her grandson, Thomas H's heir]
Rose Hutton [presumably her grand-daughter]
Robert Freville [no doubt her grandson, John F's heir]
Rose Burgoyn [presumably her grand-daughter]
George Burgoyn [no doubt her grandson, Christopher B's heir]
Rose Walpole [presumably her grand-daughter]
Rose Orgar [no doubt daughter of Margaret Thirlow]
John Ewell
Joh[annis?] Swette
Rose Flaxman
my sister Thirlowe
"I forgive my sister Swette vi quarters of barley whereof she owyth me"
Executors: Thomas Hutton, Christopher Burgoyne, George Freville, John
Freville and William Walpole [i.e. not just John Freville, as I
understood previously from mi incomplete copy]
Philip Paris esquire, overseer

MAR

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 22, 2005, 6:53:11 PM9/22/05
Margaret Thirlaw (1532) left property at Badburgh (sp?)

The will refers to a bequest to the church at "BadbrUgh~m" and to "my
house, lands and pasture within the towne and ... of Badbrugh~m"

I presume this is Babraham, Cambs: cf the following from PROCAT:

C 1/1458/23:
John ORGAR v. Robert CAMPYON and Thomas THURNALL.: Lands in Babraham,
late of John Orgar, deceased, father of complainant: CAMBRIDGE.
1556-1558

MAR

mj...@btinternet.com

Sep 30, 2005, 2:59:28 PM9/30/05
Further Thirlow - Freville links are apparent from PRO Deeds recorded
in Volumes V and VI of the Catalogue of Ancient Deeds:

(1) Vol VI pp 369-370 C6629

Letters of William Freville, Esquire, John Battysford, gentleman,
Thomas Hewyk, chaplain, and John Pyppell, appointing John Pryme(*) the
elder and John Brasier the elder their attorneys to deliver to Margaret
Thirlowe, widow; Nicholas Thirlowe; William Thirlowe, rector of Great
Leghe; Thomas Huntyngdon, Esquire; Robert Morton, John Burgoyn and John
Wode, gentlemen; John Pryme the younger; John Ferby and Thomas North
seisin of all the lands etc which they, together with Thomas Lokton,
Esquire, and Alexander Wode, gentleman, deceased, had by the gift of
John Thirlowe the elder, John Lorkyn of Heydon, and Thomas Flexman of
Newton, of 6 1/2 acres of land in Thriplow: 20 July 20 Edward IV

(2) C6630

Conveyance by William Freville and others to Margaret Thirlowe and
others of land in Thriplow: 20 July 20 Edward IV, endorsed 'Carta
feoffamenti Margarete Thirlow de Bassett in Thriplow'

(3) C 7342 p 462

Conveyance by Nicholas Thylowe, John Wood, gentleman, and John Ferby to
John Paryse of Linton, Esquire; Nicholas Hughson and George Nichols,
gentlemen; John Pryme atte Grene; Thomas Scotte and Thomas Goddefroey
the younger, of all the lands etc formerly of John Bassett of Chishull,
Essex, and afterwards of John Thirlow in ryplow, and 6 1/2 acres land
in Chirchefeld, in Hethfeld, and le Westfeld, in Thriplow, which they
with William Thirlow, rector of Great Loghe, Essex, and other had by
the gift of William Frevell, Esquire, and others: 20 September 2 Henry
VIII

(4) Vol 5 A11203 p 109

Feoffment by John Pryme atte Grene, Thomas Scotte and Thomas Godfrey of
Thriplow, to John Hawke of Newton the elder; Robert Frevile, Esquire;
John St George, gentleman; Thomas Pryme, etc, and the heirs of the body
of the said John Hawke, of all the land etc formerly of John Bassett,
after of John Thirlow, and late of Nicholas Thirlowe of Thriplow, by
feoffment by the said Nicholas Thirlow and others by charter at
Thriplow, 20 September 2 Henry VIII, 15 December 11 Henry VIII [sic; my
notes could be defective on this score]

(5) Vol VI C7426

Quitclaim by Nicholas Thirlowe, yeoman, to John Hawk of Newton the
elder and the heirs of his body re lands formerly of John Bassett and
after of John Thirlow his father in Thriplow: 15 December 11 Henry VIII

NB the correct spelling of this surname is PRYME not Prynne as per my
earlier misreadings posted above; Pryme is the spelling confirmed by
VCH Cambs sub Thriplow.

So we can construct an initial stemma for the Thirlow family:

1. John Thirlow, of Thriplow, Cambs; dead by 1481; possibly a brother
of William Thirlow, sometime Rector of Great Leigh, Essex; married
Margaret [daughter of John Bassett of Chishull, Essex], living 1481.
Issue:

2. Nicholas Thirlow, of Thriplow, Cambs; will proved 1519; married
Margaret Augier, nee ? (mother by her first marriage of Jeffrey, Roger
and Rose Augier); issue:

3a. Elizabeth Thirlow, married John Hawke the elder of Newton

3b. Clemence Thirlow.

*****************

We can also draw up a tentative stemma for Rose Freville's family -
unfortunately unnamed to us presently:

1. (N M); issue:

2a. Rose, died 1529; married Robert Freville of Little Shelford, and
left issue

2b. (daughter), living 1529; married Mr Swete; possibly had issue,
Jo... Swete

2c. Margaret, died 1532; married 1stly Mr Augier; married 2ndly
Nicholas Thirlow of Thriplow, died 1519. Issue by both marriages:

3a. Jeffrey Augier, living 1532

3b. Roger Augier, living 1532

3c. Rose Augier, mentioned in Rose Freville's will, 1529; living, 1532

3d. Elizabeth Thirlow, married John Hawke the elder of Newton

(?3e. Clemence Thirlow)

MAR

mj...@btinternet.com

Oct 1, 2005, 5:41:41 PM10/1/05
PS I received today a copy of the will of Nicholas Freville of Little
Shelford, younger son of Robert and Rose, which I hoped might be
useful.

Unfortunately the text is nearly illegible, and I can tell little from
it, other than that he names his wife Katherine, and his brother John.
Franks says that he also mentions children, but does not name them.
So, apparently nothing further to add to the question of his mother's
identity.

Michael