O.T. Questions on London, 1456

Clagett, Brice

Feb 18, 2003, 4:22:15 PM2/18/03
Here is another account of disturbances in London in 1456:

"In June 1456 the reappearance of Halley's comet, very near the Earth, with its sabre-shaped tail stretching across a third of the heavens, aroused general alarm and foreboding of evil, which was more or less fulfilled on the spot in the form of a violent outbreak against the foreign element -- the Lombards, as they were generally called. Arising from a trifling brawl, it swelled into what threatened to become a general sack of the aliens' houses by a mob of 'hand craftymen, apprentices and other lowse men.' Action was promptly taken by the Mayor, William Marow, and the 'good and well disposed people of the Cite,' and the revolt was soon suppressed. A number of prisoners were committed to Newgate, and a court, upon which the Duke of Buckingham sat with the Mayor, proceeded to try them. The temper of the rioters was very dangerous: they had merely taken refuge in their houses, and intended to sound Bow Bell, and on its summons to attack the Guildhall. Buckingham and other pee!
rs were scared and left London forthwith, leaving the Mayor to cope with the situation. Two or three of the ringleaders were convicted and hanged, and with that the disturbance died out." Gordon Home, -Medieval London- (1927) pp. 215-16.

This has points in common with Gregory's account posted on February 12 but also differences, including differences in the very specific dates in each version. I am unclear as to whether a single episode or two (doubtless related) ones are involved.

I don't think this is O.T.; William Marrow, the hero of the tale, was an ancestor of many on the list.

D. Spencer Hines

Feb 18, 2003, 4:44:27 PM2/18/03
Who is/are the key descendant/s of William Marrow whom many of us would
recognize as an ancestor?

Deus Vult.

"I pass with relief from the tossing sea of Cause and Theory to the firm
ground of Result and Fact."

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill [1874-1965] ---- The Malakand Field
Force [1898]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor

Fortuna et Gloria

""Clagett, Brice"" <bcla...@cov.com> wrote in message

Leo van de Pas

Feb 18, 2003, 5:02:49 PM2/18/03
Dear Brice,
William Marrow definitely lived in the correct period, so why would he be
off-topic?
You made a remark that made me curious, William Marrow being an ancestor of
members of gen-med.

I looked but in my records I have no gateway-ancestor descendants, nor of
any other descendants being members of gen-med.

However, for who is interested, I did find amongst many others the following
descendants of the Lord Mayor of London

HM the Late Queen-Mother
Lady Diana Spencer
Sarah Ferguson
Serena Stanhope, daughter in law of Princess Margaret
Georg Friedrich of Prussia, heir to the German and Prussian thrones
Rainier III, Prince of Monaco
Aga Khan IV
Audrey Hepburn
Rachel Ward
Cayetana FitzJames-Stuart y Silva, 18.Duchess of Alba de Tormes
Arthur Valerian Wellesley, 8th Duke of Wellington
Patrick Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield

I would love to learn about any gateway-ancestors who descend from William
Marrow (and how :-).

Best wishes
Leo van de Pas

Miles Fitzalan-Howard, Duke of Norfolk

Renia

Feb 18, 2003, 7:06:15 PM2/18/03
My previous post in this thread showed that there were a whole series of
riots against the Lombards during this period.

Renia

John Steele Gordon

Feb 19, 2003, 8:43:35 AM2/19/03
""Leo van de Pas"" <leov...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> I looked but in my records I have no gateway-ancestor descendants, nor of
> any other descendants being members of gen-med.

Here are two:

Sir William Marrow = Katherine Rich
Katherine Marrow = Sir Robert Throckmorton
Richard Throckmorton = Joan Beaufoe
Goditha Throckmorton = Thomas Neale
John Neale = Grace Butler
Ellen neale = Stephen Dryden
Grace Dryden = The. Rev. Kenelm Cheseldyne
Kenelm Cheseldyne = Mary Gerard

Kenelm Cheseldyne immigrated to Maryland and served as Attorney General of
the province. He has numerous descendants including yours truly.

John Neale = Grace Butler
Raphael Neale = Jane, widow of Dr. Forman
James Neale = Anne Gill

Capt. James Neale immigrated to Maryland about 1636 and has a vast
descendancy including Roger Brooke Taney, Chief Justice of the United
States, Senator Stephan A. Douglas, and Brice Clagett.

I am enchanted to learn from you that I am distantly related to Audrey
Hepburn, by mutual descent from William Marrow. That almost makes up for
your telling me a while back that I am equally distantly related to Herman
Goering.

JSG

Clagett, Brice

Feb 19, 2003, 11:28:24 AM2/19/03
I may have exaggerated when I said that "many" members of the list descend from William Marrow, but there is at least one "gateway" descent from him, as follows:

1. William Marrow, c. 1410-1464, mayor of London 1455-56; m. Katherine Rich.
2. Katherine Marrow, m., as his second wife, Sir Robert Throckmorton, K.B., c. 1451-1518, of Coughton, Warwickshire.
3. Richard Throckmorton, d. 1547; of Higham Ferrers, Northants; m. Jane Beaufoe.
4. Goditha Throckmorton, fl. 1544; m. Thomas Neale, of Yielden, Bedfordshire.
5. John Neale, d. 1609; of Wollaston, Northants; m. (2) Grace Butler.
6. Raphael Neale, fl. 1595-1660, of Wollaston, Northants, and Drury Lane, St. Giles parish, London; m. Jane (Baker) Forman, widow of the notorious physician, astrologer and necromancer Simon Forman.
7. Capt. James Neale, 1614/5-1684; settler in Md. c. 1635; of "Wollaston Manor," Charles Co., Md.; m. Anna Maria Gill, dau. of Benjamin and Mary (Mainwaring) Gill.

D. Spencer Hines

Feb 19, 2003, 1:28:49 PM2/19/03
Thank you kindly.

Deus Vult.

"I pass with relief from the tossing sea of Cause and Theory to the firm
ground of Result and Fact."

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill [1874-1965] ---- The Malakand Field
Force [1898]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor

Fortuna et Gloria

""Clagett, Brice"" <bcla...@cov.com> wrote in message

| I may have exaggerated when I said that "many" members of the list descend

Clagett, Brice

Feb 19, 2003, 5:05:21 PM2/19/03
I do not believe Senator Stephen A. Douglas was descended from Capt. James Neale of Maryland. I believe (from memory) that his wife was such a descendant.

Ann Sharp

Feb 20, 2003, 1:19:22 AM2/20/03

JSG:

> Here are two:
>
> Sir William Marrow = Katherine Rich
> Katherine Marrow = Sir Robert Throckmorton

Ann:
Would anyone know whether this Katherine Rich was related to the Thomas
Rich who died about 1474, leaving a widow Elizabeth and children Katherine,
Jane, Anne, and John ? [His widow, Elizabeth (Croke) Rich, married secondly
Sir William Stonor.]

L.P.H.,

Ann

John Steele Gordon

Feb 20, 2003, 10:02:50 AM2/20/03

""Clagett, Brice"" <bcla...@cov.com> wrote in message
> I do not believe Senator Stephen A. Douglas was descended from Capt. James
Neale of Maryland. I believe (from memory) that his wife was such a
descendant.

You are entirely correct. I read your article in the Maryland Genealogical
Society Bulletin too quickly.

JSG