Ilaiyaraaja's recent compositions (was Re: May Madham)

Dev Mannemela

Nov 8, 1994, 8:48:15 PM11/8/94
Sorry, if you have seen this post before. My last attempt
to post ended up including entire article of Manoj and
a whole lot of other headers..
Anyway, here it goes..

____

Talking about Ilaiyaraaja's compositions, can anyone tell me
what his notable movies in the last couple of years were? I have
listened to his "Veera" recently, which I thought was pretty good.
It had a couple of good numbers.

Other good recent soundtracks of Raaja that I have listened are:
1. Mahanadhi
2. Devar Magan
3. Chinna Gounder
4. Chembaruthi
5. Singaravelan

The following movies had a couple of good songs:
1. Athma ( Kannale kadhal kavithai)
2. Dharma Seelan
3. Ejaman
4. Innisai Mazhai
5. Kalaignan (Endhal nenjil neengadha)
6. Mannan

If some one can tell me if there are other recent (last couple of years)
movies that have good
songs, let me know. I have no intentions of missing his good
works (which are getting pretty rare lately :-( )

How is he doing these days? Is his dominance in the industry fading?
Who apart from Rehman is a threat to him? Looks like he is losing all
the big banners and big name directors. How are the rest
of the music directors? Any promising names (and their works)?
The only non-Ilaiyaraaja and non-Rehman stuff I have listened
are "Maindan", "Thuraimugam" and "Killadi Mapillai" and the only
reason I listened to them is that they were appended to some
Rehman CDs. After repeated listening, some of the songs in those
movies sound OK.

Can some one give a state-of-the-music-industry address for
my and other music enthusiast's benefit?

Thanks a lot,
Dev
--
Dev Mannemela de...@netcom.com

Kathiravan Krishnamurthi

Nov 9, 1994, 11:26:03 AM11/9/94
Dev Mannemela (de...@netcom.com) wrote:
: The only non-Ilaiyaraaja and non-Rehman stuff I have listened

: are "Maindan", "Thuraimugam" and "Killadi Mapillai" and the only
: reason I listened to them is that they were appended to some
: Rehman CDs. After repeated listening, some of the songs in those
: movies sound OK.

Listen to Seevalaperi Pandi songs.
Atleast one song has good lyric.
Non-Rehman, Non-IsaiNYaani variety.
anban
kathir
: Can some one give a state-of-the-music-industry address for

narayanan sundararajan

Nov 9, 1994, 1:32:35 PM11/9/94
> If some one can tell me if there are other recent (last couple of years)
> movies that have good
> songs, let me know. I have no intentions of missing his good
> works (which are getting pretty rare lately :-( )

ya, i heard his latest movie audio cassette for bagyaraj's "oru orile oru
rajakumari" which is pathetically very mediocre. only one song is
listenable !!

but rehman's karuthamma has some very good songs. ill try to post a review
as a continuation to someone who had already posted some info on that. any
news about bambai's audio cassette ?

narayan

narayanan sundararajan

Nov 9, 1994, 1:41:26 PM11/9/94

> How is he doing these days? Is his dominance in the industry fading?
> Who apart from Rehman is a threat to him?

there was a guy who scored the music for the movie "seevalaperi pandi" - a
napolean starrer which had some good songs like "oyila paadum paatule" (btw
this was the NO.1 song for around 2-3 weeks in the top songs list (superhit
muqabla - tamil version)) and a very good slow song (i cant remember it
now).

and sorry, i cant remember this guy's name also.

narayan

Kathiravan Krishnamurthi

Nov 9, 1994, 5:15:18 PM11/9/94
narayanan sundararajan (ns...@cornell.edu) wrote:

: > How is he doing these days? Is his dominance in the industry fading?

: > Who apart from Rehman is a threat to him?

: there was a guy who scored the music for the movie "seevalaperi pandi" - a
: napolean starrer which had some good songs like "oyila paadum paatule" (btw
: this was the NO.1 song for around 2-3 weeks in the top songs list (superhit
: muqabla - tamil version)) and a very good slow song (i cant remember it
: now).

kezhukku sevakkaiyilE!
naan keerE aRukkaiyilE!

en vithiya ezhuthaiyilE! -antha
saamiyum uRaNGkiduchchE!

anban
kathir
: and sorry, i cant remember this guy's name also.

: narayan

narayanan sundararajan

Nov 9, 1994, 6:08:07 PM11/9/94
In article <devmCyz...@netcom.com>, de...@netcom.com (Dev Mannemela)
wrote:

> Who apart from Rehman is a threat to him? Looks like he is losing all
> the big banners and big name directors. How are the rest
> of the music directors? Any promising names (and their works)?

there is a guy who scored the music for the napolean starrer "seevalapperi
pandi" which has a very good song "oyila paadum pattule" (btw this was the
no.1 song in the top songs list for 2-3 weeks) and also a very good slow

song (i cant remember it now).

sorry, i cant remember this guy's name. can anybody help ?

narayan

Dev Mannemela

Nov 9, 1994, 9:56:53 PM11/9/94
In article <ns36-091...@128.253.253.125>,

narayanan sundararajan <ns...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>there is a guy who scored the music for the napolean starrer "seevalapperi
>pandi" which has a very good song "oyila paadum pattule" (btw this was the
>no.1 song in the top songs list for 2-3 weeks) and also a very good slow
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What is this list? If you have access to it,
can you please post it on the net? Is there a top hits
TV program in India these days (like philips super hit muqabla )?

It will be great if some one (from India?) can post the
list on the net on a regular basis. !!

Ramesh Vaidhyanathan

Nov 10, 1994, 2:00:20 PM11/10/94
In article <Cz0tt...@cunews.carleton.ca>, k...@doe.carleton.ca (Kathiravan Krishnamurthi) writes:

|> narayanan sundararajan (ns...@cornell.edu) wrote:
|>
|> : there was a guy who scored the music for the movie "seevalaperi pandi" - a
|> : napolean starrer which had some good songs like "oyila paadum paatule" (btw
|> : this was the NO.1 song for around 2-3 weeks in the top songs list (superhit
|> : muqabla - tamil version)) and a very good slow song (i cant remember it
|> : now).
|>
|> kezhukku sevakkaiyilE!
|> naan keerE aRukkaiyilE!

|> en vithiya ezhuthaiyilE! -antha
|> saamiyum uRaNGkiduchchE!
|>

|> anban
|> kathir
|> : and sorry, i cant remember this guy's name also.
|>
|> : narayan

The music director for "seevalaperi pandi" is "aathithyan"
who scored decent music earlier for karthick's "amaran".
But I should say I was kind of disappointed on hearing
these two hyped up songs mentioned above.

The song "oyila paadum paatule" is a 'rahmanish-folkish' one,
where a typical giramaththu song is scored with western style
digital music. I was told by my friend that the situation in
the movie is one village girl "meychifying aadu", and I got
a good laugh listening to this song imagining this. But this
song is *good* as per *rahman standard*.

The song "kezhukku sevakkaiyilE" is a 'nattuppadal' type and
has a limited background score (nothing special). The lyrics
are OK though. I was surprised that this slow, melodious song
was a hit in TN.

This movie "seevalaperi pandi" was supposed to be made based
on a "Thodarkathai" which appeared in 'anantha vikatan'. Does
anyone know who the author was and what the story is?

-Ramesh, V.

Ramprasad S

Nov 10, 1994, 2:51:16 PM11/10/94
In article <39tqk4$7...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu> vaid...@lips.ecn.purdue.edu writes:

Stuff about the movie and songs deleted :

>This movie "seevalaperi pandi" was supposed to be made based
>on a "Thodarkathai" which appeared in 'anantha vikatan'. Does
>anyone know who the author was and what the story is?

I think the story is based on a true story or a folk story. The
early part of story is set in some place near Nellai and then
it moves to kodaikanal(??). People from Tirunelveli area can
give more information about this folk story.

Ramprasad S

>-Ramesh, V.

narayan sundararajan

Nov 11, 1994, 11:11:12 AM11/11/94
In article <39tqk4$7...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, vaid...@ecn.purdue.edu (Ramesh
Vaidhyanathan) wrote:

i dont really accept that "oyila paadum paatule" was rahmanish at all and
infact i feel that it was very much different from rahman's style and again
any folkish song with a western touch cant be classified under rahman's
style !! and btw the cinematography was really good in oyila song (the
female was bad but thats a diff point).

i dont remember who wrote the thodarkathai but the general opinion was the
movie really wasnt really as good as the thodarkathai as it always happens
(some examples are "gayathri" and "vikram" of sujatha). the story is about
a jail kaithi escaping from the police (i remember something vaguely like
that; i saw this in video late nite and thoongi vazhinjunte ! and sorry i
have a real bad memory)

narayan

S Maheswaran

Nov 15, 1994, 3:29:01 PM11/15/94
In article <ns36-091...@128.253.253.125>,
narayanan sundararajan <ns...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>> If some one can tell me if there are other recent (last couple of years)
>> movies that have good
>> songs, let me know. I have no intentions of missing his good
>> works (which are getting pretty rare lately :-( )
>>
>ya, i heard his latest movie audio cassette for bagyaraj's "oru orile oru
>rajakumari" which is pathetically very mediocre. only one song is
>listenable !!
>

>>> After a long gap, Raja has done a good job in the R.V Udaykumar's
new movie (yet to be released *ing Karthick) "Nandavana Theru".
Particularly, the SPB song "Velli Nilave" is a very melodious one
(like Pachaimalai Poovu) and also there is a good song by Chitra.
Most of the other songs are by Mano, Arunmozhi & Co. Also, I had
chance to listen to "Moga Mull" and all songs are based on classical
tunes and mostly by KJ, Sreekumaran and Chitra. I think Raja had done
well in both the above movies.

>but rehman's karuthamma has some very good songs. ill try to post a review
>as a continuation to someone who had already posted some info on that. any
>news about bambai's audio cassette ?
>
>narayan

>>> Maheswaran Swaminathan

SEC Multimedia

Nov 20, 1994, 8:09:34 PM11/20/94
S Maheswaran (mahe...@sequent.com) wrote:
: In article <39ttjk$p...@newstand.syr.edu>,
: Ramprasad S <rsan...@top.cis.syr.edu> wrote:
: >In article <39tqk4$7...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu> vaid...@lips.ecn.purdue.edu writes:
: >
: >
: >>
: >>This movie "seevalaperi pandi" was supposed to be made based

: >>on a "Thodarkathai" which appeared in 'anantha vikatan'. Does
: >>anyone know who the author was and what the story is?
: >>
: >
: >
: >
: >>-Ramesh, V.
: >
: >>> "Seevalaperi Pandi" was written by AnandaVikatan's reporter (groomed
: as part of Vikatan's student reporter scheme) and the author is known
: as Sow. Pa. (I think it stands for SoundaraPandiyan?) who was an
: American College Student from Madurai. This story came as a "Thodarkathai"
: in Junior Vikatan and is supposed to be based on a real story. The novel
: was well researched and well written and was a big hit. The main character
: Pandi hails from Seevalaperi village (I think it is T.veli district) who
: went on to kill the family of Zamindars who deserted him and then he goes
: on a hideout near Kodaikanal. The story explains the incidents in detail
: and also how Pandi was being chased by the Police officer Prem.

: The movie was released recently and it is directed by Prathap Pothen. Though the reviews were good, commercially it was not a success. However, I heard
: that Napolean (who played the lead role) did a very good job and also the
: music was also good. (Two songs figured in top 10 list : "Oyila Padum
: Paatu" and "Kizhakku Sivakkaiyile" . BTW, the music directorr of the
: movie is Vidya Sagar).
:
: >>> Maheswaran Swaminathan.

it was written in 'junior vikatan' and not 'Anantha vikatan'