The Bush Florida squeaker: Will it hold?

1 view

Stephen Dancs

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
So, while the US networks' crystal ball failed them twice last night/today
early morning by first declaring Gore to have carried Florida, then Bush
the presidential winner at 2:20 EST before settling on a 1,784 Bush
squeaker (a 26.6 votes per county lead) that innitiated an automatic
recount -- which election officials say must be completed by the end of
the business day on Thursday and which could put off the official
anouncement by up to 10 days (the max amount of time the law allows to
count outstanding overseas ballots as long as they are postmarked no later
than Election Day [in 1996, about 2,300 of these were received]) -- a
28-year-old Toronto gas attendent ended up being shot with a gun smuggled
from the US into Canada (see attchmt).

Albeit rooting for Gore, pragmatically, I placed my bets on Bush though,
not thinking that it'll come _this much_ down to the wire, so for Zak and
many others let's hope that Gore's vote will hang in there and the recount
will come out a Gore squeaker. It'll be tough,

Four Florida counties reported the first recount results Wednesday
afternoon, with only a slight change indicated for the vice president, who
picked up 23 votes among their combined tallies.
ref.: http://cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/11/08/election.president/

but not impossible.

It'll cost me some bucks, agreed, but hey, it'd be worth it. :)

(NOTE: Answers to this posting will be monitored mainly on the
"soc.culture.romanian" newsgroup.)

--=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Stephen Dancs http://come.to/sdancs Voicemail: +1 (416) 760-5885
bv...@ncf.ca Fax: +1 (240) 250-1108
http://www.ncf.ca/~bv561/ http://s.dancs.net

--1--
Toronto Sun, Wednesday, November 8, 2000
Gasbar gunman kept shooting
ref.: http://canoe.ca/TorontoNews/ts.ts-11-08-0033.html

Worker pleaded but took 3 bullets

by GEORGE CHRISTOPOULOS, TORONTO SUN

As he watched the flash from the robber's gun, Mark Zak's worst fear
became real -- the .357 Magnum revolver pointed at him was no fake.

"I felt the bullet rip through my leg," the 28-year-old Sunoco gas bar
manager said from his Sunnybrook hospital bed yesterday, where he is
recovering from three gunshot wounds.

Zak, a father of two, was shot in the stomach and the arm as well as the
leg in a robbery at his Scarborough gas station just before 7 a.m. on
Monday.

"I've seen fake guns and real guns ... this one was real and this guy had
no problem using it," said Zak.

"I don't know much right now but I know I'm lucky to be alive," he said.

'OPEN THE SAFE!'

Zak said he had just opened the gas bar near Eglinton and Midland Aves.
when a man wearing a black balaclava burst into the cramped office and
demanded he open the safe.

"He screamed 'Open up the safe! Open up the safe, I'm going to shoot you
in 10 seconds if you don't open the safe!'" said Zak.

When Zak told him he didn't have the combination, "He shot me in the leg,"
he said.

"I gave him some money from my pocket and told him I was just a worker
with two young kids," he said.

That's when a second bullet hit Zak in the stomach.

Seconds later, a third bullet hit him in the forearm during a failed bid
to wrestle the black revolver away from the gunman.

'PURE ADRENALINE'

"It was pure adrenaline because I began to chase him from the store ...
but I couldn't catch him," he said.

Zak said he ran back to the office, called 911 and his wife before
collapsing to the ground outside.

"I'm thankful I'm still alive."

The robber is described as black, 6-foot-2 with a slim build. He was
wearing blue jeans, a Polo jacket with a blue collar, a black balaclava
and a green toque with white and yellow markings.

The robber had a revolver with a wooden handle and is believed to have
fled in a late-model metallic-green Toyota or Nissan with tinted windows,
oversized tires and no licence plates.
--end--

Gor...@netcom.com

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
Deb Foisy wrote:

> Stephen Dancs <bv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> > So, while the US networks' crystal ball failed them twice last night/today
> > early morning by first declaring Gore to have carried Florida, then Bush
> > the presidential winner at 2:20 EST before settling on a 1,784 Bush
> > squeaker (a 26.6 votes per county lead) that innitiated an automatic
> > recount -- which election officials say must be completed by the end of
> > the business day on Thursday and which could put off the official
> > anouncement by up to 10 days (the max amount of time the law allows to
> > count outstanding overseas ballots as long as they are postmarked no later
> > than Election Day [in 1996, about 2,300 of these were received]) -- a
> > 28-year-old Toronto gas attendent ended up being shot with a gun smuggled
> > from the US into Canada (see attchmt).
> >
> > Albeit rooting for Gore, pragmatically, I placed my bets on Bush though,
> > not thinking that it'll come _this much_ down to the wire, so for Zak and
> > many others let's hope that Gore's vote will hang in there and the recount
> > will come out a Gore squeaker. It'll be tough,
>
> You know it's probably even more up in the air NOW than last night. All the
> confusion in ballot boxes, and in places where Gore was doing well. I
> thought I just heard CNN say they had to disqualify a whole slew of them. I
> sooo want Gore to win. He's not George Bush and the thought of Bush
> leading our neighbours next door scares the daylights out of me. Go Gore, I
> guess?

Well, working against you paranoids is the fact that all armed forces
personnel from Florida, and there may be upwards of 5,000 of them, have
10 days to send in an absentee ballot. Given the fact that armed forces
personnel in the US vote Republican about 90%, you probably have a big
problem. This is one reason Bush accepted victory AND GORE DID NOT COME
OUT AND DEMAGOGUE HIM. Neither has the press interestingly enough,
although they are sitll licking their wounds.

I guess divisiveness in Canada is not enough for you, you need to see it
big time in the USA as well. Pity.

Gordon.

Deb Foisy

Nov 8, 2000, 9:36:17 PM11/8/00

Stephen Dancs <bv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
> So, while the US networks' crystal ball failed them twice last night/today
> early morning by first declaring Gore to have carried Florida, then Bush
> the presidential winner at 2:20 EST before settling on a 1,784 Bush
> squeaker (a 26.6 votes per county lead) that innitiated an automatic
> recount -- which election officials say must be completed by the end of
> the business day on Thursday and which could put off the official
> anouncement by up to 10 days (the max amount of time the law allows to
> count outstanding overseas ballots as long as they are postmarked no later
> than Election Day [in 1996, about 2,300 of these were received]) -- a
> 28-year-old Toronto gas attendent ended up being shot with a gun smuggled
> from the US into Canada (see attchmt).
>
> Albeit rooting for Gore, pragmatically, I placed my bets on Bush though,
> not thinking that it'll come _this much_ down to the wire, so for Zak and
> many others let's hope that Gore's vote will hang in there and the recount
> will come out a Gore squeaker. It'll be tough,

You know it's probably even more up in the air NOW than last night. All the
confusion in ballot boxes, and in places where Gore was doing well. I
thought I just heard CNN say they had to disqualify a whole slew of them. I
sooo want Gore to win. He's not George Bush and the thought of Bush
leading our neighbours next door scares the daylights out of me. Go Gore, I
guess?

Deb

Gary L. Dare

Nov 9, 2000, 12:45:25 AM11/9/00
Gor...@netcom.com wrote:

: Well, working against you paranoids is the fact that all armed forces

: personnel from Florida, and there may be upwards of 5,000 of them, have
: 10 days to send in an absentee ballot. Given the fact that armed forces
: personnel in the US vote Republican about 90%, you probably have a big
: problem. This is one reason Bush accepted victory AND GORE DID NOT COME
: OUT AND DEMAGOGUE HIM. Neither has the press interestingly enough,
: although they are sitll licking their wounds.

: I guess divisiveness in Canada is not enough for you, you need
: to see it big time in the USA as well. Pity.

Relax, it's just spectator sport. (-;

But relaying info from US sources like Brit Hume's "Special
Report" on Fox News Channel ...

* the Armed Forces absentee vote may be more Democratic than
in the past due to a higher proportion of minorities.

* 2/3rd of Hispanics voted Democrat, more if excluding Texas.

* 90% of Blacks voted for Gore, more than Clinton often joked
as "the first Black President". (-;

Personal observation of the electoral map: greater schism
between coastal and northern states versus west and south;
greater schism between urban and rural, big state/small
state, married and single, men and women. The major US
news sites (CNN, MSNBC, ABCnews) seem to second what came
apparent to me and it seems a lot of people, American or not.

It's a global marketplace and nobody's stopping Americans
from taking up a lot of bandwidth on Northern Ireland and
the Middle East/Israel ... which they do.

--
Gary L. Dare
g...@ripco.com

Ripco, Chicago's Oldest Online Information Service

george_...@my-deja.com

Nov 9, 2000, 1:24:48 AM11/9/00
In article <8uddll$i3b$1...@gail.ripco.com>,

g...@ripco.com (Gary L. Dare) wrote:

> Relax, it's just spectator sport. (-;
>
> But relaying info from US sources like Brit Hume's "Special
> Report" on Fox News Channel ...
>
> * the Armed Forces absentee vote may be more Democratic than
> in the past due to a higher proportion of minorities.

How about the humilation endured by the US army due
to Billy's bias towards gays and lesbians? How about
the promotion of women in high level positions in the army?

Goering Stancov-Messerschmidt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

adri...@my-deja.com

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
In article <8udfvd$4bg$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Billy did it in the White House, I think Bush will do it at Camp David !
What do you think her name will be ?
Bring some integrity to the White House ? Sure, as long as you do it
outside the Oval Office !

Bush is great as long as I get lower taxes !

Deb Foisy

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00

<Gor...@netcom.com> wrote in message news:3A0A1C06...@netcom.com...

> Deb Foisy wrote:
> >
> > I guess divisiveness in Canada is not enough for you, you need to see it
> big time in the USA as well. Pity.

No, none of that at all in the US. I mean, how much more divided can you be
than almost 50 50? And how much more divided than having the electoral
college say Bush wins, but popular vote saying Gore, not that that's not
close at all. And Bush won how many states, Gore how few, and it's still
close? Nothing divisive there either I guess?
Given the number of possible irregularities, ones I heard about even before
the end of Tuesday night, I'd be more careful about saying who won and
pitying US. I'd say you have a long wait to find out.
Deb

> Gordon.

Deb Foisy

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00

<george_...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> In article <8uddll$i3b$1...@gail.ripco.com>,
> g...@ripco.com (Gary L. Dare) wrote:
>
> > Relax, it's just spectator sport. (-;
> >
> > But relaying info from US sources like Brit Hume's "Special
> > Report" on Fox News Channel ...
> >
> > * the Armed Forces absentee vote may be more Democratic than
> > in the past due to a higher proportion of minorities.
>
> How about the humilation endured by the US army due
> to Billy's bias towards gays and lesbians? How about
> the promotion of women in high level positions in the army?

How aobut Georgie's bias against Pagans rights in the military? Saying
there's isn't a religion and he doesn't think they should be allowed to have
religious observances on the base, like they did in his own State? Check
out the Pagans in the Military Page, for starts. Maybe military personnel
of any stripe won't be thrilled with the thought of a guy who says we want
you to die for your country, but we don't want you to prepare yourself for
it with whatever religion you might choose.

Deb

Archivist4

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
>From: "Deb Foisy" d-f...@sympatico.ca
>Date: 11/08/2000 6:36 PM Pacific Standard Time

>sooo want Gore to win. He's not George Bush and the thought of Bush
>leading our neighbours next door scares the daylights out of me. Go Gore, I
>guess?
>Deb

Hey lady stay the hell out of politics. Don't you think your place is in the
kitchen ?!!!. Don't waist your precious time in front of the computer. Why do
you like Gore? You think that he really invented the Internet so this way you
could make "virtual love"?
Bush is the winer,babe, like it or not. First of all this "electoral college
vote"stinks-same like you.

Stephen Dancs

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
"Deb Foisy" (d-f...@sympatico.ca) writes:

> You know it's probably even more up in the air NOW than last night. All the
> confusion in ballot boxes, and in places where Gore was doing well. I
> thought I just heard CNN say they had to disqualify a whole slew of them. I
> sooo want Gore to win. He's not George Bush and the thought of Bush
> leading our neighbours next door scares the daylights out of me. Go Gore, I
> guess?

I'm not so sure whether there'll be "go Gore" yet, but the fact is that
Gore's creeping in on Bush's original 1,784 vote lead

62 of 67 counties reporting (AP) Updated 4:33 p.m. EST, 2133 GMT
Bush +548 2,909,683
Gore +1,991 2,909,342
Advantage Bush +341
ref.: http://cnn.com

so much so, that according to the AP county-by-county (unofficial) tally,
with votes in 62 of 67 counties recounted, as of 4:07 p.m. EST, Gore had a
net gain of 1,991 votes from the original election night count [Bush with
2,909,135 votes and Gore with 2,907,351 - a difference of 1,784 in a state
with 8.75 million registered voters] while Bush has a net gain of only 548
and leads Gore now by only 341 votes! :)

So I guess we'll just have to wait the statutory 10 days for the overseas
absentee balots to come in and see in whose favour will they tip the
balance.

In 1996, more than 2,300 ballots were mailed in. Up to 1,000 of those
might have come from Floridians living in Israel, who generally vote
Democrat. The remainder broke toward the Republicans.
ref.: http://www.nationalpost.com/features/uselection/story.html?f=/stories/20001109/362985.html

Stephen Dancs

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
(Gor...@netcom.com) writes:

> Well, working against you paranoids is the fact that all armed forces
> personnel from Florida, and there may be upwards of 5,000 of them, have
> 10 days to send in an absentee ballot. Given the fact that armed forces
> personnel in the US vote Republican about 90%, you probably have a big
> problem. This is one reason Bush accepted victory AND GORE DID NOT COME
> OUT AND DEMAGOGUE HIM.

The 10 day wait refers to the time alloted for the mail to arrive from
overseas and not to the time they still have "to send in an absentee
ballot", so if the ballot won't be postmarked no later than Election Day,
it won't count. ;-)

Besides, up to 1,000 of the 2,300 Floridian overseas absentee balots in
1996 came from Floridians living in Israel, who generally vote Democrat,
so let's hope this year they'll do better. ;-)

> I guess divisiveness in Canada is not enough for you, you need to see it
> big time in the USA as well. Pity.

I dunno what Canadian divisiveness you refer to; if you think of Quebec's
separatist aspirations, you can forget about it: on a _clear_ separation
queastion, they'll never vote to seccede from Canada.

Some assholes tried to dupe them twice with trick questions and imaginary
"historical humiliations" in the past (1980, 1995), yet we won the last
one by 55,000 votes albeit many federalist votes were disqualified by
overzealous independantistes who tried their best to screw us, so the real
winning margin should've red 100,000+. ;=)

So all they do now is wait again for "winning conditions" and spend
millions on research trying to figure out how to trick best the Quebecer
with all sorts of tricky "winning questions", hehehe... :)

Ray Nicklin

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
I thought it would be ironic if military absentees put George W. over
the top.

Now Hear This!

Joseph Farah
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_dougherty/20001104_xnjdo_military_m.shtml

(in part)

"A Maine resident -- who asked not to be identified -- said her
Navy daughter who is stationed in Tokyo has received her
absentee ballot for every election except this one.

"No one at the base will be voting because all the absentee
ballots are missing," she told WorldNetDaily.

Navy officials were also contacted but did not return phone
calls. "

Victor Pavski

Nov 10, 2000, 1:20:41 AM11/10/00
In soc.culture.canada Gary L. Dare <g...@ripco.com> wrote:

> But relaying info from US sources like Brit Hume's "Special
> Report" on Fox News Channel ...

> * the Armed Forces absentee vote may be more Democratic than
> in the past due to a higher proportion of minorities.

> * 2/3rd of Hispanics voted Democrat, more if excluding Texas.

> * 90% of Blacks voted for Gore, more than Clinton often joked
> as "the first Black President". (-;

Then there's also apparently, ex-Floridians living in Isreal that vote
Democrat. I found the "mostly military" caveat to be a bit of an
oversimplification. I mean, this election was known to be a squeaker for
months and months. That might convince US ex-pats more likely to send in
an absentee ballot this year. Now, I wonder how many left-leaning
Floridian Vietnam draft dodgers now in Canada voted Gore? (-; (-;

I personally know of one from New Hampshire...mayhaps he tips New
Hampshire to Gore? (-; (-; It's unscientific, but on CBC's "Counterspin"
they did a Nader show in which a dual citizen now teaching at York was on,
and how she said she made sure to send a ballot in for Gore (no idea which
state). Apparently she's an ex-radical that did the FU thing to Carter in
1980 and regretted it ever since.

As geographical divisions go, hey, they merely reflect the true attidues
of the country. Dixie is more conservative, goes Bush. The mountain
states, plains states and militia central goes Bush. Liberal leaning
Northeast, Northwest and California goes Gore, and the moderate midwest
goes Gore with smaller margins. I'd rather have political balkanization
than constitutionally-entrenched balkanization [insert Meech
Lake/Charletown bash here]. (;-

Vic

Victor Pavski

Nov 10, 2000, 9:38:58 PM11/10/00
In soc.culture.canada Ray Nicklin <rnic...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I thought it would be ironic if military absentees put George W. over
> the top.

> Now Hear This!

> Joseph Farah
> http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_dougherty/20001104_xnjdo_military_m.shtml

<drivel snipped>

Worldnetdaily is a website funded by Pennsylvania Grillionaire and
Carnegie Mellon aire Richard Mellon Scaife. Scaife has been using
truckloads of money to "prove" Clinton "murdered" aide Vince Foster in
1993. Worldnetdaily has "broke" such "stories" as China about to nuke
Tawian, KKKlinton is a KKKommie Spy and generally prints all sorts of
unsubstantiated claptrap against anyone that isn't part of the extreme
fringe right wing. Their columnists, including failed GOP Presidential
nominee, Allan Keyes, were lambasting W Bush last year for Clintonizing
the GOP. Now they shill for Doubleyou.

Vic