Word for Fisherman

vra...@atlcom.net

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Greetings to all,

Can anyone please tell me the Romanian or Hungarian word for "fisherman";
that is, someone who catches fish from a boat for a living? My maternal
grandfather emigrated from Transylvania in 1910; he spoke Romanian, and
his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. Does this sound like a Romanian or
Hungarian name, or neither?

Many thanks for any help.

Best regards,
Tim Vrazo
Bethlehem, GA, USA

SORIN001

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

The word you're looking for is "pescar" (fisherman). Nevertheless, the name
Pestean could be a regionalism (dialect) for "pescar" as the word for fish is
"peste". Sorry, but I can't help you with any Hungarian terms.

>Subject: Word for Fisherman
>From: vra...@atlcom.net
>Date: Tue, Jan 6, 1998 10:13 EST

aheringer

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In article <884097578...@dejanews.com>, vra...@atlcom.net says...

>Greetings to all,
>
>Can anyone please tell me the Romanian or Hungarian word for
"fisherman";
> that is, someone who catches fish from a boat for a living? My
maternal
>grandfather emigrated from Transylvania in 1910; he spoke Romanian, and
>his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. Does this sound like a Romanian or
>Hungarian name, or neither?
>
>Many thanks for any help.
>
>Best regards,
>Tim Vrazo
>Bethlehem, GA, USA

The word for fishermen who fish with a net for living in Hungarian is
halasz. The word for anglers is horgasz. Gyorgy is definitely the
Hungarian version of Georg. Pestyan - I don't know

Agnes

AK&G

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98
Who are you, btw.. and why your adress IS NOT a valid one?!?

The user return_address heri...@istar.ca does not exist.

Of course you don't, for the simple fact that that noum IS NOT
hungarian, but Romanian and is spelled PESTEAN or PESTIAN. And "Gyorgy"
was the name (translated) given to the local "Gheorghe", NOT "Georg"
(Wir Sind NICHT Deutschlanders.. Klaar?)by a alien administration
backuped by a alien occupation army. This, as all the rest, is history.
Ksokolom,
Gheorghe a' Hreanului

aheringer

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In article <34B377...@netcom.ca>, ur...@netcom.ca says...

>aheringer wrote:
>>
>> In article <884097578...@dejanews.com>, vra...@atlcom.net
says...

>> >Greetings to all,
>> >
>> Who are you, btw.. and why your adress IS NOT a valid one?!?
>
>The user return_address heri...@istar.ca does not exist.

Sorry. My e-mail address is heri...@fox.nstn.ca. I had a lot of
trouble with my newsreader, and finally my server, i-star, advised to
put the above in the configuration. It worked, I seldom have trouble
reading the list now. Don't ask me why!

Regards, Agnes

Stephen Dancs

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

AK&G (ur...@netcom.ca) writes:
>Agnes Heringer wrote:
>> >vra...@atlcom.net says...

>> >Can anyone please tell me the Romanian or Hungarian word for "fisherman";

>> >that is, someone who catches fish from a boat for a living? My aternal

>> >grandfather emigrated from Transylvania in 1910; he spoke Romanian, and
>> >his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. Does this sound like a Romanian or
>> >Hungarian name, or neither?
>>

>> The word for fishermen who fish with a net for living in Hungarian is
>> halasz. The word for anglers is horgasz. Gyorgy is definitely the
>> Hungarian version of Georg. Pestyan - I don't know
>

> Who are you, btw.. and why your adress IS NOT a valid one?!?
>

> The user return_address heri...@istar.ca does not exist.

Ma nea Ghio a' pulii,

Mrs. Agnes Heringer is a well known personality for everyone that
frequents the Hungarian and/or Hungarian-Jewish lists.

She is an elderly lady of Jewish descent that went through the Nazi and
the Stalinist terrors, and did a thing or two before and during the 1956
Hungarian uprising before she managed to flee.

So before you open your crapy mouth, how about you telling us who the
fuck YOU are, and what the fuck did YOU so far accomplish in your
miserable existence, besides jerking off your lousy ignorant mouth about
Hungarian freedom-fighters?

> Of course you don't, for the simple fact that that noum IS NOT
> hungarian, but Romanian and is spelled PESTEAN or PESTIAN. And "Gyorgy"
> was the name (translated) given to the local "Gheorghe", NOT "Georg"
> (Wir Sind NICHT Deutschlanders.. Klaar?)by a alien administration
> backuped by a alien occupation army. This, as all the rest, is history.

Pestyan Gyorgy is as Hungarian a name as Hungarian one can ever get, and
I know of many Hungarians in Transylvania going by this family name, and
most probably the American gentleman's forefather that came from
Transylvania to America back in the past century was a Hungarian.

I mean what the heck do I care that my ol' family name was a
Danci/Danciu/Donci/Donciu/etc... it's a Dancs now, and that's Hungarian
by any "alien" (suck my dick, alien is ya'r mother you crazy Ghio, in
Transylvania) administration's standards.

(Note: Answers to this posting will be monitored mainly on the
"soc.culture.romanian" newsgroup.)

( http://www.alien-resurrection.com ) ;-) LOL LOL...
--*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Stephen Dancs Tel./Fax: +1 (416) 963-9624
bv...@freenet.carleton.ca http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bv561/

Ciuck

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

The name is that of a romanian that had to change the spelling of his
name to hungarian probably due to political pressure, in a then Hungarian
Transilvania, and the pronunciation is similar in both languages. The
corresponding romanian name would be Gheorghe Pestean; pestean meaning
"fisher" as opposed to "fisherman" which would be pescar.
Adrian Becea.

vra...@atlcom.net wrote in message <884097578...@dejanews.com>...
>Greetings to all,

>Can anyone please tell me the Romanian or Hungarian word for "fisherman";

> that is, someone who catches fish from a boat for a living? My maternal

>grandfather emigrated from Transylvania in 1910; he spoke Romanian, and
>his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. Does this sound like a Romanian or
>Hungarian name, or neither?
>

>Many thanks for any help.
>
>Best regards,
>Tim Vrazo
>Bethlehem, GA, USA

Stephen Dancs

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

"Ciuck" (abe...@mastre.com) writes:

> The name is that of a romanian that had to change the spelling of his
> name to hungarian probably due to political pressure, in a then Hungarian
> Transilvania, and the pronunciation is similar in both languages. The
> corresponding romanian name would be Gheorghe Pestean; pestean meaning
> "fisher" as opposed to "fisherman" which would be pescar.

Nonsense, "pestean" doesn't mean anything in Romanian, no such Romanian
word exists. It's only a Romanian family name, and that's all.

Pestyan Gyorgy is as Hungarian as anyone can get.

(Note: Answers to this posting will be monitored mainly on the
"soc.culture.romanian" newsgroup.)

Regards,

AK&G

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98
to Stephen Dancs

Stephen Dancs wrote:
> It's only a Romanian family name, and that's all.
As you said: ROMANIAN!..
> Pestyan Gyorgy is as Hungarian as anyone can get.
..you mean: a FAKE hungarian name one could get. Spelling your name
"stefan Danci" surely WON'T make the owner "as Romanian as anyone(?) can
get".
Koloszvaryi Horse-Radish Gyorgyi

Ciuck

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

>Nonsense, "pestean" doesn't mean anything in Romanian, no such Romanian

>word exists. It's only a Romanian family name, and that's all.

>Pestyan Gyorgy is as Hungarian as anyone can get.

If you had read the original posting, you would have noticed that the dude
by that name spoke romanian and probably mentioned something about his name
having to do with "fisherman". Since there are no connections between
Pestyan and "fisherman" in hungarian, we can only assume that he was indeed
romanian, don't ya think?
Adrian Becea.

Stephen Dancs

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

AK&G (ur...@netcom.ca) writes:
>Stephen Dancs wrote:
>>
>> [Pestean] It's only a Romanian family name, and that's all.
>
> As you said: ROMANIAN!..

Yes, Romanian NAME ONLY, but it doesn't mean ANYTHING ELSE in Romanian --
the least "fisher" as the Romanian guys falsely claimed -- just as Pestyan
is Hungarian and doesn't mean anything in Hungarian either.

So a guy with the name Pestyan, IS Hungarian and not some Magyarised
Romanian Pestean. Had "pestean" meant anything in Romanian, I could have
accepted that maybe "pestyan" is a Magyarised form of "pestean," but
"pestean" doesn't meaning anything in Romanian, so who is to say that it
was Pestean that preceded Pestyan and not vice versa? ;-)

>> Pestyan Gyorgy is as Hungarian as anyone can get.
>

>..you mean: a FAKE hungarian name one could get. Spelling your name
>"stefan Danci" surely WON'T make the owner "as Romanian as anyone(?) can
>get".

Why, isn't Pestean a FAKE Romanian name as one could get? Tell us wise
guy, why should I accept the precedence of Pestean over Pestyan?

Same thing with Danci and Dancs, they mean nothing in both languages, so
who's to say to which ethnic group someone named (phonetically) Danch
REALLY belongs to?

For every REAL etnic Hungarian Dancs like myself, I can show you a REAL
ethnic Romanian named Danci, so how would you decide wheter someone named
Dancs is a REAL Hungarian Dancs or just a Magyarized Romanian Danci?

There's just no way to tell, so when I see a Dancs, I assume he's a REAL
Hungarian just as when I see a Pestyan, I'll assume he's a Hungarian, too.
As simple as that mon bebe. Next time, use your brains before you write
more nonsense.

(Note: Answers to this posting will be monitored mainly on the
"soc.culture.romanian" newsgroup.)

(A Magyarized former Danci.) <-- Prove me that it's not so! ;-)

Stephen Dancs

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

"Ciuck" (abe...@mastre.com) writes:

> If you had read the original posting, you would have noticed that the dude
> by that name spoke romanian and probably mentioned something about his name
> having to do with "fisherman". Since there are no connections between
> Pestyan and "fisherman" in hungarian, we can only assume that he was indeed
> romanian, don't ya think?

The "dude" that was asking was an American "get-beget," and he didn't
speak a "iota" of Romanian so what nonsense are you talking about you
liar?

All he said was that his ancestor came from Transylvania and his name was
Pestyan, so why shall I conclude that it was Romanian?

You lied to him saying that "pestean" means "fisher" in Romanian, because
"pestean" doesn't mean anything at all in Romanian, so tell me why did
you lie to him then and continue lying now too, claming that he spoke
Romanian?

(Note: Answers to this posting will be monitored mainly on the
"soc.culture.romanian" newsgroup.)

Regards,

Nick Arden

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

Stephen Dancs wrote:
>It's only a Romanian family name, and that's all.
>... Romanian NAME ONLY, but it doesn't mean ANYTHING ELSE in Romanian --

>-- just as Pestyan is Hungarian and doesn't mean anything in Hungarian >either.
> So a guy with the name Pestyan, IS Hungarian and not some Magyarised
> Romanian Pestean... accepted that maybe "pestyan" is a Magyarised form >of "pestean," but "pestean" doesn't meaning anything in Romanian, so who >is to say that it was Pestean that preceded Pestyan and not vice versa? ;-)

Mai fratilor, voi taiati firul in patru si faceti teoria chibritului.

I think that it is a rational approach to think that "Pestyan" in
Hungarian could mean "the one from Pest". The suffix "-yan is of
Armenian origin, very common in Rumania too (for ex. Ardel-ean,
Craiov-ean and so on). They show the land of the person's origin: the
one from Ardeal or from Craiova. It is known that in the 17th Century,
many Armenians settled in Austria, Russia and the Rumanian
Principalities because of the Ottoman oppression.
Do you think it makes sense? BTW, I am not a linguist but I know much of
heraldics and genealogy.
Nicholas

Stephen Dancs

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

Nick Arden (nic...@earthlink.net) writes:

> Mai fratilor, voi taiati firul in patru si faceti teoria chibritului.
>
> I think that it is a rational approach to think that "Pestyan" in
> Hungarian could mean "the one from Pest". The suffix "-yan is of
> Armenian origin, very common in Rumania too (for ex. Ardel-ean,
> Craiov-ean and so on). They show the land of the person's origin: the
> one from Ardeal or from Craiova. It is known that in the 17th Century,
> many Armenians settled in Austria, Russia and the Rumanian
> Principalities because of the Ottoman oppression.
> Do you think it makes sense?

It makes as much sense as your "insight" into the Paula Jones affair.

The suffix -yan doesn't exist in Hungarian, and location origin is dealt
by the suffix -i, so "the one from Pest" would be Pesti, which indeed is
a very common Hungarian name, but nevertheless has nothing to do with
Pestyan.

> BTW, I am not a linguist but I know much of heraldics and genealogy.

Paula Jones allegedly isn't a "linguist" either, probably that's why her
sexual harassment claim for the suit makes as much sense as yours,
hahaha... ;-)

Just my two "chibrituri." ;-)

(Note: Answers to this posting will be monitored mainly on the
"soc.culture.romanian" newsgroup.)

(The Hair Splitter.)
--=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Ciuck

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

The "dude by that name" that I was talking about was the guy's
grandfather, not the guy himself, ya moron!
Now read my posting again and then make an intelligent reply, Ok?!

> If you had read the original posting, you would have noticed that the dude
> by that name spoke romanian and probably mentioned something about his
name
> having to do with "fisherman". Since there are no connections between
> Pestyan and "fisherman" in hungarian, we can only assume that he was
indeed
> romanian, don't ya think?

Adrian Becea.

Stephen Dancs,Toronto Canada

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

From: Tim Vrazot <vra...@atlcom.net>

Can anyone please tell me the Romanian or Hungarian word for "fisherman";
that is, someone who catches fish from a boat for a living? My maternal
grandfather emigrated from Transylvania in 1910; he spoke Romanian, and
his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. Does this sound like a Romanian or
Hungarian name, or neither?

Ok, the question was whether he spoke Romanian as _first language_ or
not. If yes, he was most probably a Magyarised ethnic Romanian. If not,
than he was a Hungarian who picked up the Romanian language.

In private, Mr. Vrazot tells me that Romanian was his first language,
consequently, I think he most probably was a Magyarised ethnic Romanian
'cause Magyarization was quite strong in 19th century Transylvania, no
doubt about it.

sda...@freenet.hut.fi http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bv561/

Ciuck

Jan 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/23/98

Thanks guy, I'm glad we finally reached the same conclusion.
Off course I reached it 10 useless messages before you did ;)))
But you're an Ok guy, nevertheless...
Adrian Becea.

Mircea

Jan 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/23/98

This may come late, but here is my two cents:

Pe$tean might be a Romanian name that reflects not an occupation but the
origin of a person. Romanian place names with the suffixes -esti, -ani,
-eni are most common, and all designate the origins of the settlers,
either geographically (e.g. Ungureni, emigrants form Ardeal) or
genealogically (Corbeni, belonging to the Corbeanu clan or family). The
suffix -ani (and its variants -eni, -an) is of Slavic origin (see -
êninû).

Thus, Pe$tean might be a person form the village Pe$ti or Pe$teni.
Pe$tean might also be corrupted from Pe$te(re)an or Pa$ean (proud,
lordly). I am not sure, but pe$teana may be a dialectal synonym for
helesteu.

As for the name Danci, in Romanian comes from Dan---Danciul--Danciu, in
a similar manner with Stan--Stanciul--Stanciu.
Alternatively, and I have to give credit to a friend of mine for this
information, DLRM says:
> "danci, [plural] danci. s[ubstantiv] m[asculin].
> Copil de tigan. -- Tig[aneste] "den ci" =
> <<da-mi ceva>>"

Mircea

Stephen Dancs,Toronto Canada

Jan 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/24/98

In a previous article, abe...@mastre.com ("Ciuck") says:

> Thanks guy, I'm glad we finally reached the same conclusion.
> Off course I reached it 10 useless messages before you did ;)))

Maybe, but you (and some others) reached it by share gamble and no logic
whatsoever but idelogical push, not to mention the sneaky lie about
"pestean" meaning "fisher" in Romanian. ;=)

> But you're an Ok guy, nevertheless...

Glad to see that you see it that way. Usualy, "fishers" of truth are not
seen well "and always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds."

(Note: Answers to this posting will be monitored mainly on the
"soc.culture.romanian" newsgroup.)

(The Truth-Fisher King.) ;-)

tmc

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

CAPITOLUL VIII

Iisus vindeca un lepros, pe sluga unui sutas, pe soacra lui Petru si pe
alti
bolnavi. Linisteste furtuna de pe mare si vindeca doi demonizati.

1. Si coborandu-Se El din munte, multimi multe au mers dupa El.
2. Si iata un lepros, apropiindu-se, I se inchina, zicand : Doamne, daca
voiesti, poti sa ma curatesti.
3. Si Iisus, intinzand mana, S-a atins de el zicand : Voiesc,
curateste-te.
Si indata s-a curatit lepra lui.
4. Si i-a zis lui Iisus : Vezi, nu spune nimanui, ci mergi, arata-te
preotului si adu darul pe care l-a randuit Moise spre marturie lor.
5. Pe cand intra in Capernaum, s-a apropiat de El un sutas, rugandu-L,
6. Si zicand : Doamne, sluga mea zace in casa, slabanog, chinuindu-se
cumplit.
7. Si i-a zis lui Iisus : Venind, il voi vindeca.
8. Dar sutasul, raspunzand I-a zis : Doamne, nu sunt vrednic sa intri sub
acoperisul meu, ci numai zi cu cuvantul si se va vindeca sluga mea.
9. Ca si eu sunt om sub stapanirea altora si am sub mine ostasi si-i spun
acestuia : Du-te, si se duce; si celuilalt : Vino, si vine; si slugii
mele :
fa aceasta, si face.
10. Auzind, Iisus S-a minunat si a zis celor ce veneau dupa El : Adevarat
graiesc voua : La nimeni in Israel n-am gasit atata credinta.
11. Si zic voua ca multi de la rasarit si de la apus vor veni si vor sta
la
masa cu Avraam, cu Isaac si cu Iacov in imparatia cerurilor.
12. Iar fiii imparatiei vor fi aruncati in intunericul cel mai din afara;
acolo va fi plangerea si scrasnirea dintilor.
13. Si a zis Iisus sutasului : Du-te, fie tie dupa cum ai crezut. Si s-a
insanatosit sluga lui in ceasul acela.
14. Si venind Iisus in casa lui Petru, a vazut pe soacra acestuia zacand,
prinsa de friguri.
15. Si S-a atins de mana ei si au lasat-o frigurile si s-a sculat si ii
slujea Lui.
16. Si facandu-se seara, au adus la El multi demonizati si a scos duhurile
cu cuvantul si pe toti cei bolnavi i-a vindecat,
17. Ca sa se implineasca ceea ce s-a spus prin Isaia, proorocul, care
zice :
" Acesta neputintele noastre a luat si bolile noastre le-a purtat ".
18. Si vazand Iisus multime imprejurul Lui, a poruncit ucenicilor sa traca
de cealalta parte a marii.
19. Si apropiindu-se un carturar, I-a zis : Invatatorule, Te voi urma
oriunde vei merge.
20. Dar Iisus i-a raspuns : Vulpile au vizuini si pasarile cerului
cuiburi;
Fiul Omului insa nu are unde sa-Si plece capul.
21. Un altul dintre ucenici I-a zis : Doamne, da-mi voie intai sa ma duc
si
sa ingrop pe tatal meu.
22. Iar Iisus i-a zis : Vino dupa Mine si lasa mortii sa-si ingroape
mortii
lor.
23. Intrand El in corabie, ucenicii Lui L-au urmat.
24. Si iata, furtuna mare s-a ridicat pe mare, incat corabia se acoperea
de
valuri; iar El dormea.
25. Si venind ucenicii la El, L-au desteptat, zicand : Doamne,
mantuieste-ne, ca pierim.
26. Iisus le-a zis : De ce va este frica, putin credinciosilor ? S-a
sculat
atunci, a certat vanturile si marea si s-a facut liniste deplina.
27. Iar oamenii s-au mirat, zicand : Cine este Acesta ca si vanturile si
marea asculta de El ?
28. Si trecand El dincolo, in tinutul gadarenilor, L-au intampinat doi
demonizati, care ieseau din morminte, foarte cumpliti, incat nimeni nu
putea
sa treaca pe calea aceea.
29. Si iata, au inceput sa strige si sa zica : Ce ai Tu cu noi, Iisuse,
Fiul
lui Dumnezeu ? Ai venit aici mai inainte de vreme, ca sa ne chinuiesti ?
30. Departe de ei era o turma mare de porci, pascand.
31. Iar demonii il rugau, zicand : Daca ne scoti afara, trimite-ne in
turma
de porci.
32. Si El le-a zis : Duceti-va. Iar ei, iesind, s-au dus in turma de
porci.
Si iata, toata turma s-a aruncat de pe tarm in mare si a pierit in apa.
33. Iar pazitorii au fugit si, ducandu-se in cetate, au spus toate cele
intamplate cu demonizatii.
34. Si toata cetatea iesit in intampinarea lui Iisus, si, vazandu-L, L-au
rugat sa treaca din hotarul lor.

Nick Arden

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

<tmc> 'evanghelizeaza' cu un exemplu de "profetie" a lui Isaia, care
dupa el se refera la Isus :-/

> 17. Ca sa se implineasca ceea ce s-a spus prin Isaia, proorocul, care
> zice :
> " Acesta neputintele noastre a luat si bolile noastre le-a purtat ".

Daca cu adevarat Isus a spus asta, eu nu il cred. Cred ca minciunile
Noului Testament merita denuntate. Cred ca NIMIC din Vechiul Testament
nu se refera la Isus. Punct.
Ca suport al afirmantiei mele, iata aici citatia "profetica" din Isaia
53, foarte des uzata in biserici, care se pretinde a fi "o profetie care
s-a implinit" prin suferintele lui Isus cand a fost anchetat si
condamnat la rastignire. Aceasta este pasajul citat de <tmc>. Vom
analiza din perspectiva persoanei sau audientei catre care se adreseaza
Isaia.
Citatul folosit este din Isaia capitolul 53, versetele 4 si 5
(traducerea Engleza King James):
<<<Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows...but he was
wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities....>>>
Cine? Despre cine e vorba? Inceputul capitolului spune clar: "Who has
believed OUR report? And TO WHOM has the arm of the Lord been reveled?"
si apoi continua cu descrierea fizica a lui Isaia, nu a lui Isus!!!).
"There is NO BEAUTY THAT WE SHOULD DESIRE HIM... (nu e nici o frumusete
in Isus ca sa avem motiv sa-l dorim??? asta suna a blasfemie, nu? Poate
domnul Chirica si <tcm> sa explice asta?)
"A man of sorrows and acquinted with grief...he WAS despised (timpul
trecut!) and WE DID NOT (timpul trecut!) esteem him...surely he has
borne our griefs and carried our sorrows"....etc. etc. totul la timpul
trecut.
E atat de clar pentru orice om cu bun simt, ca Isaia in acest capitol
isi indeamna compatriotii sa se increada in Dumnezeu. El spune despre el
(Isaia) ca a fost batut, biciuit, scuipat si i s-a smuls barba. Putin
mai inainte insa, in cap.50, Isaia este extrem de optimist si increzator
in Dumnezeu: "for the Lord WILL HELP ME, shall I not be confounded".
In totala contradictie cu aceasta atitudine, Isus se arata disperat,
absolut neajutorat, inainte de moarte: "My God, my God, why hast you
FORSAKEN ME?" acesta este un strigat de AGONIE si nu de implinire a
profetiei lui Isaia 53, pentruca Isaia nu facea nici o profetie aici ci
isi exprima pur si simplu credinta sa in Dumnezeu, care NU va permite
dusmanilor sai sa il doboare. Isaia vorbea DESPRE EL.
Isaia a fost torturat pentru predicile sale si profetiile socante pe
care le facea, dar cu toate acestea, Isaia dus mesajul sau pana la capat
si si-a indeplinit misiunea cu brio, in ciuda suferintelor. Nu avem aici
o profetie pentru viitor, ci dimpotriva, toate declaratiile sale sunt la
timpul trecut si prezent (circa 700 B.C.), scrise de Isaia, despre
Isaia.
Cata abatere dela adevar in Noul Testament care pretinde cu incapatinare
ca tot Vechiul Testament se refera la Isus. Ce aberatie! Ce indrazneala
nemaipomenita, ce dispret pentru adevar!
Asa se face ca sub pana lui Chirica si <tmc>, si sub obladuirea
democratiei Internetului, apar minciuni care sfideaza inteligenta.

Nick Arden, cu respect,
demonstreaza ca Noul Testament este NE-ADEVARAT.

Ciuck

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Yo, bro, ya see, when I say somethin', it's usually because I think it's
true, Ok?!
So, first: it's my personal opinion that, as I said before, "pestean meaning

"fisher" as opposed to "fisherman" which would be pescar".
Second: the guy specifically said about his grandfather that: "he spoke
Romanian, and his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. " so my opinion was based on the
FACT that the grandfather spoke romanian, detail that you chose to ignore.
Third: as far as you are concerned, I hate morons who comment about other
people's mental capabilities, especially when they comment about MY
capabilities. That you shouldn't have done bro... really.
Fourth: for the record: MY opposition was in no way "violent", as opposed to
yours, so when you talk about "violent opposition from mediocre minds."
guess who you were talking about... but then ya probably thought you were
really smart when you said that, didn't ya?
;))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Adrian Becea.

bbo...@ix.netcom.com

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98
to nic...@earthlink.net

Ce ne poti de monstra despre Vechiul Testament ?. Poate nici acesta
nu este OK?!
Bogdan

Me

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Gee, this looks like it might be good -- could someone give me a translation
or at least summarize this person's points?

Many thanks!
Tim Vrazo (the guy who originally asked the question)

P.S. If the following has nothing to do with "Word for Fisherman" then
kindly disregard my request :-)
tmc wrote in message <6alj1r$816$1...@nntp3.interaccess.com>...

>17. Ca sa se implineasca ceea ce s-a spus prin Isaia, proorocul, care
>zice :
>" Acesta neputintele noastre a luat si bolile noastre le-a purtat ".

Ferenc Szita

Feb 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/7/98

>"Ciuck" <abe...@mastre.com> wrote:
>the guy specifically said about his grandfather that: "he spoke Romanian,
>and his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. " so my opinion was based on the

>FACT that the grandfather spoke romanian...

<fsz...@pipeline.com> comments:
I'm in no way claiming to be an expert at anything Romanian, but
if someone's first name was Gyorgy (not Georghieu) I would think
he had more Hungarian blood (or heritage) in him than Romanian.
Another point: there is a city in what is now Slovakia called
Pöstyén (Piestiane in Slovakian) if I remember correctly), which
city belonged to the Astro-Hungarian Empire up to 1920 (the
Treaty of Trianon) , and even today has a very strong Hungarian
heritage.
Is it possible that his family having settled in Transylvania or
Romania at one time originated from Pöstyén and took on as
family name the name of the city that they came from?

Frank

f_s...@pipeline.com
TEL: 1-504-467-1717
FAX: 1-504-468-1102
To reply, remove _

Ciuck

Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98

Ferenc Szita wrote in message <6bhmki$k...@camel15.mindspring.com>...

><fsz...@pipeline.com> comments:
>I'm in no way claiming to be an expert at anything Romanian, but
>if someone's first name was Gyorgy (not Georghieu) I would think
>he had more Hungarian blood (or heritage) in him than Romanian.
>Another point: there is a city in what is now Slovakia called
>Pöstyén (Piestiane in Slovakian) if I remember correctly), which
>city belonged to the Astro-Hungarian Empire up to 1920 (the
>Treaty of Trianon) , and even today has a very strong Hungarian
>heritage.
>Is it possible that his family having settled in Transylvania or
>Romania at one time originated from Pöstyén and took on as
>family name the name of the city that they came from?
>
>Frank

You will please notice that the name is Pestyan, not Postyan or Postyen.
Adrian.

Stephen Dancs,Toronto Canada

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

"Ciuck" <abe...@mastre.com> writes:

> Yo, bro, ya see, when I say somethin', it's usually because I think it's
> true, Ok?!

Me, too, altough I don't remember seeing ya'n'my family album anywhere.
;-)

> So, first: it's my personal opinion that, as I said before, "pestean
> meaning "fisher" as opposed to "fisherman" which would be pescar".

But exactly that's the point: _pestean_ doesn't mean _fisher;_ It doesn't
mean anything for that matter. It's just a name.

> Second: the guy specifically said about his grandfather that: "he spoke

> Romanian, and his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. " so my opinion was based

> on the FACT that the grandfather spoke romanian, detail that you chose
> to ignore.

My grandfather spoke Romanian too, and yet he was Hungarian. The key here
was whether he spoke Romanian as a _first_ language. Mr. Vrazot's posting
doesn't mention anything about that so based _solely_ on this info, both
hypotheses would work: he was either a Romanian speaking Hungarian or a
Magyarized Romanian. No way to exclude the one or the other.

> Third: as far as you are concerned, I hate morons who comment about other
> people's mental capabilities, especially when they comment about MY
> capabilities. That you shouldn't have done bro... really.

You were incapable to see the _key_ to the solution, a key, that even a
baby could see, and as such, your "capabilities" are less than that of a
baby. And you being my long lost bro' that I never knew of, you can be
_at max 4_ years younger than me (my first memories date from age 4)
which would make you not younger than 24. A 24-year-old with the
"capabilities" of a baby is a... -- c'mon, help me here, will ya bro'? --
a... a... ;=)

> Fourth: for the record: MY opposition was in no way "violent", as
> opposed to yours, so when you talk about "violent opposition from
> mediocre minds." guess who you were talking about... but then ya
> probably thought you were really smart when you said that, didn't ya?

You jumped on everyone, includng me, that claimed that your "fisher"
(sic) could be a Romanian speaking Hungarian w/o providing a logically
consistent answer to why that shouldn't be the case.

And yes, I was smart: I provided you the key how to _consistently_
eliminate the Romanian speaking Hungarian posibility. You, only beat
your chest... Me, smart... You, only beat your chest... Me, smart... You,
only beat your chest... Me, Jane...

> ;))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

You, Tarzan...

Go... fish! :)

PS: Don't worry bro,' look at the bright side: can you imagine what your
status would be had our Mo' given you away BEFORE I was born? ;^)
LOL LOL...

(Note: Answers to this posting will be monitored mainly on the
"soc.culture.romanian" newsgroup.)

(Me, Jane...) ;=)

rmk...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2016, 9:18:35 PM11/13/16
On Tuesday, January 6, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, vra...@atlcom.net wrote:
> Greetings to all,
>
> Can anyone please tell me the Romanian or Hungarian word for "fisherman";
> that is, someone who catches fish from a boat for a living? My maternal
> grandfather emigrated from Transylvania in 1910; he spoke Romanian, and
> his name was Gyorgy Pestyan. Does this sound like a Romanian or
> Hungarian name, or neither?
>
> Many thanks for any help.
>
> Best regards,
> Tim Vrazo
> Bethlehem, GA, USA

Well Hello Cousin!!

I was just reading that the the surnames Pesti or Pesty were "derived from Pest, one of the towns that were joined to make Budapest. Originally it indicated someone from Pest."

I'm also interested in Grandma's ancestry as she was from Hungary with the name Mary Maria Marian. If anyone out there can help, I's appreciate it!

Robin K
Austin, TX