- A Balanced Rejoinder [On proverbs]

Egb...@aol.com

Feb 19, 2001, 5:10:54 PM2/19/01
to ebony...@my-deja.com, OKQu...@aol.com, civilright...@excite.com, igb...@egroups.com, igbo...@lists.cc.utexas.edu, igbo_...@yahoogroups.com, now...@yahoo.com, ota...@yahoo.com, yorub...@yahoogroups.com, yorubas-...@yahoogroups.com
In a message dated 2/19/01 2:04:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ad...@africamail.com writes:

"Puusu mmanya na-egbu ahubeghi mmawulu ara na-aghi." That
is, "a drunken pussycat has not met a mad fox"?

Maazi:

Where did you get that piece from? Where have been surfing these past days?
Na wah for you -o! It sure cracked me up. If you wrote that, then you must
earn THREE credits for  IGBO 2001. Remember also to use "nwamba" in place of
"puusu," but most people will prefer the above version.

By the way, even though Igbo proverbs are not credited to anyone but to
Ndiichie [elders and ancestors] collectively, I must say that Maazi Mag
Ekwueme made it popular on these highways. He used "puusu," and I keep it so.

BTW, you remind me of another "Ade" of "Who is Sylvanus Imasuen?" fame. He
offered: "Ulili si onye jekete ije ya tuo nkwa oso, maka ihe oso emee.
[The
ground squirrel says a person who walks  should sometimes break into a trot,
in case the need to run arises.]

Version and translation are mine. These and a few others are among my best
collections, for many of which I am still looking for appropriate
translations that won't miss the original meaning. Then again, who knows what
a proverb REALLY conveys.

You also wrote:

Mazi MOE, many of us have travelled through some of these
stages. At the end of the day, all I pray for is for some
amongst us to be able to learn from the "good, bad and/or
sometime ugly" exchanges...

And in the future, if the opportunity ever arises, I hope
these few would be able to make use of their "experiences"
wisely or make a difference in the lives of many innocent
Nigerians.

A good wrap of fish and chips(fries) requires no ketchup.
KA CHINEKE MEZIE OKWU. [May God bless the speech.]

Remain blessed.

MOE

Magnus Ekwueme

Feb 20, 2001, 4:52:58 PM2/20/01
to ebony...@my-deja.com, OKQu...@aol.com, civilright...@excite.com, igb...@egroups.com, igbo...@lists.cc.utexas.edu, igbo_...@yahoogroups.com, now...@yahoo.com, ota...@yahoo.com, yorub...@yahoogroups.com, yorubas-...@yahoogroups.com
MOE:

It would seem to me that you are teaching "our songs" to a non-Babylonian.
Anyhow, I would buy your versions and/or translations any day.

Rgds,
-Magnus

: In a message dated 2/19/01 2:04:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,

:
:
:
:

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary

Egb...@aol.com

Feb 21, 2001, 1:18:15 PM2/21/01
to ebony...@my-deja.com, igb...@egroups.com, igbo...@lists.cc.utexas.edu, igbo_...@yahoogroups.com, now...@yahoo.com, ota...@yahoo.com, yorub...@yahoogroups.com, yorubas-...@yahoogroups.com
Mag:

If you don't tell Babylonians it is your song, they wouldn't know; hear it,
they will. Besides, "Ndibabilon enweghi Intaneti." Then again, one thing is
to know the song, another thing is to sing it.

Ndeewo

MOE

In a message dated 2/20/01 5:50:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,