Internet in Kerala--At last!!

mdsa...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

Hi Guys!
At long last, the Net has reached Kerala. Nodes have been opened in
Ernakulam, Trivandrum and Quilon (unofficially, though). The official
inauguration in all three places are yet to take place--I understand
that this is due to some permissions required from New Delhi.

I compose this message from my home in Trivandrum, dialing in into a local telephone number in Trivandrum.

Kerala has also the distinction of being the only state that has three VSNL nodes--considering that there are states such as UP, MP, Bihar and Orissa without *any* access! (The Quilon node is the result of intense lobbying by some individuals and the industrialists lobby there).

In case you require any assistance on accessibility, costs, etc please feel free to contact me--I promise I will help, subject only to time availability.

With best wishes to all of you NRKs...

Satish

Satish Babu ** SIFFS, Karmana, Trivandrum - 695 002, Kerala, INDIA
mdsa...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in **** sat...@fishnet.frlht.ernet.in
Tel: +91 471 34 3711, 34 3178, 34 2379 (R) *** Fax: +91 471 34 2053

This article was posted to Usenet via the Posting Service at Deja News:
http://www.dejanews.com/ [Search, Post, and Read Usenet News!]

Maya Nair

Nov 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/3/96

In article <8469401...@dejanews.com>,

<mdsa...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
>Hi Guys!
>At long last, the Net has reached Kerala. Nodes have been opened in
>Ernakulam, Trivandrum and Quilon (unofficially, though). The official
>inauguration in all three places are yet to take place--I understand
>that this is due to some permissions required from New Delhi.
>
>I compose this message from my home in Trivandrum, dialing in into a local telephone number in Trivandrum.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hi Satish!!!

That's wonderful!!! :)
WELCOME to the Kerala Newsgroups!!! Finally Kerala residents
can join in the discussions!!
Now we can get instant updates on the latest news items,
straight from the capital.. :)

Regards.

Maya :)

Alec Vennos

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

In article <8469401...@dejanews.com>,
<mdsa...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
>Hi Guys!
>At long last, the Net has reached Kerala. Nodes have been opened in
>Ernakulam, Trivandrum and Quilon (unofficially, though). The official
>inauguration in all three places are yet to take place--I understand
>that this is due to some permissions required from New Delhi.
>
>I compose this message from my home in Trivandrum, dialing in into a local telephone number in Trivandrum.
>
>Kerala has also the distinction of being the only state that has three VSNL nodes--considering that there are states such as UP, MP, Bihar and Orissa without *any* access! (The Quilon node is the result of intense lobbying by some individuals and the industrialists lobby there).
>
>In case you require any assistance on accessibility, costs, etc please feel free to contact me--I promise I will help, subject only to time availability.
>
>With best wishes to all of you NRKs...
>
>Satish

Hi Satish,

Great news !!!.

But how easy is it to get the connection ??
Because last day I tried connecting to the
Madras node and failed miserably.. I heard that
you will be able to make a connection only after 11 O' clock in the night.
They have some 7 telephone numbers to cater to most of
South India and they don't even have a
queueing scheme or a hunting number.

I tried connecting from the office of an uncle
of mine in the DoT. He's afraid to go to the
public and show them this "magic Internet"
with such inadequate facilities.
Lets hope that the future is going to be great !!!

Anil
an...@wipsys.soft.net

satish_babu

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

In article , an...@bnr.ca says...

>In article <8469401...@dejanews.com>,
> <mdsa...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
>>Hi Guys!
>>At long last, the Net has reached Kerala. Nodes have been opened in
>
>Hi Satish,
>
> Great news !!!.
>
>But how easy is it to get the connection ??
>Because last day I tried connecting to the
>Madras node and failed miserably.. I heard that
>you will be able to make a connection only after 11 O' clock in the night.
>They have some 7 telephone numbers to cater to most of
>South India and they don't even have a
>queueing scheme or a hunting number.

Well. things *have* changed, haven't they....

The Madras Node has about 60 lines, in addition to X.25 and leased line access
that is equivalent of another 20-30 lines. However, dial-up access is
quite difficult for an entirely different reason: the Flower Bazar exchange, where
VSNL has its numbers, is an overcrowded exchange. Unless they upgrade the
facilities there, things may not improve much.

Yes, they do have a hunting group facility now.

>Anil
>an...@wipsys.soft.net

Satish

R. Balachandran

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

hi,
can anyone update me on the rates for internet access in
trivandrum? how i can get access to the internet when i'm in trivandrum or
get a link to my home computer in trivandrum?
u can send me a reply to my e-mail address.
thanks.
:)balu

@..@
(----)
( >__< )
^^ ~~ ^^
Death and Taxes are unsolved Engineering problems..........

***_____________________________R.Balachandran_____________________________***

248, Russ Centre, Wright State University, Dayton, OH-45435.
265A, Rike Hall, Wright State University
2333, Duncan Dr., #9, Fairborn, OH-45324.
Ph: (937)873-5153(O)
(937)429-3802(H)
e-mail: bram...@cs.wright.edu
s00...@discover.wright.edu

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man
as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the
moral purpose of his life, with productive
achievement as his noblest activity, and
reason as his only absolute."-Ayn Rand
***_________________________________________________________________________***

Seby Kottayil

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Hi Satish,

Way to go Mone!!!

Congratulations to all new nettors from our beloved Kerala. Look forward
to more postings from Mallus. (Hopefully, our people will find a way to
keep the costs down too! "Co-op Net Outlets" perhaps?

Seby

[...]

: ________________________________________________________

satish_babu

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

In article , sko...@acs.ryerson.ca says...

>Hi Satish,
>
>Way to go Mone!!!
>
>Congratulations to all new nettors from our beloved Kerala. Look forward
>to more postings from Mallus. (Hopefully, our people will find a way to
>keep the costs down too! "Co-op Net Outlets" perhaps?
>
>Seby

Hi Seby!
Thanks for your welcome. I am, however, not a *new* nettor, since I have been working on the Net since 1993. The really New netbeings from Kerala haven't yet reached ACK or SCIK--they are far too busy exploring the Net to reach the hidden recesses of USENET :-)

Co-op Net Outlets are very much possible, considering that the whole Internet,
with all the computers acting as peers, is a huge co-operative/collective ...!

Look forward to a maturing community of Net Citizens from Kerala, who may
keep you updated on news, comments and what-not.

Cheers

Satish

John Olapurath

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

Satish,

I was told that there is no access to a news server in Cochin. Is this
correct? How are you making your postings?

- John Olapurath

In article <55o8b8$e...@ns2.ryerson.ca>, sko...@acs.ryerson.ca (Seby
Kottayil) wrote:

> Hi Satish,
>
> Way to go Mone!!!
>
> Congratulations to all new nettors from our beloved Kerala. Look forward
> to more postings from Mallus. (Hopefully, our people will find a way to
> keep the costs down too! "Co-op Net Outlets" perhaps?
>
> Seby

Anil Das

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96
to John Olapurath

John Olapurath wrote:

> Satish,
>
> I was told that there is no access to a news server in Cochin. Is this
> correct? How are you making your postings?
>
> - John Olapurath

Didn't you see the appended signature line? The article was
posted through Dejanews.

--
Anil Das

Johnson V. John

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

SatishBabu wrote:
: In article , sko...@acs.ryerson.ca says...
: >
: >Hi Satish,

: >
: >Way to go Mone!!!
: >
[...]

How about getting old 386/486 to kerala for this purpose and also for
schools and colleges? Is there anyone doing this?

jvj
jj...@cctr.umkc.edu

satish_babu

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

The Cochin node of VSNL is now up-and-running. The Trivandrum node, however, seems to have got caught up in bureaucratic wranglings. The
story goes like this (do not quote me on this please): in all cities where VSNL
has installed routers (Hyderabad, Lucknow, etc), it is the Department of
Telecommunications (DoT) that mans these routers/modems. In Trivandrum,
VSNL has (apparently) hired the services of a third party, and this has
rubbed the local DoT mandarins the wrong way. It would appear that the
permission to actually launch the service will be delayed (and even withheld,
if some of the rumours are true).

Many of us here are hopping mad at this state of affairs. The users on
my BBS (fishnet.frlht.ernet.in) are planning out a collective e-mail
memorandum to the DoT and VSNL authorities at New Delhi. We hope
we will fill their buffers and spam out their hard disks.....!

Will keep ACK informed about this. Perhaps all of you should chip in as well!

Satish

My thanks are due to http://www.zippo.com for making available this
facility to post onto Usenet.

Maya Nair

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

In article <5738kr$d...@lana.zippo.com>, <Satish Babu> wrote:
>>: Satish
>>
>>How about getting old 386/486 to kerala for this purpose and also for
>>schools and colleges? Is there anyone doing this?
>>
>>jvj
>>jj...@cctr.umkc.edu
>
>This would be a good idea. Perhaps, ACK can take the lead in starting
>off a thread on what the ACKers can do for Kerala's schools and
>colleges....
>
>Satish

What a great idea!!

Most of us know people who have old 286s/laptops/386s that they
don't need. If we can get them to schools in Kerala, and set it
up for them, children in Kerala will get to join their peers in
the rest of the world. And they will get some respite from
the monotonous instructions and theories they hear all day.

There are summer courses for computers in Kerala but only
the school-age students who can afford them make use of it.

We need people who know the customs rules for these types of
shipments and also honest folks on both sides to verify that
this will not go the way of most projects in Kerala..

Come on, offer your suggestions, maybe something will come
out of this idea.

Regards.

Maya :)

Ranjit Mathews Piravonu

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

I don't know how implementable the idea is without the necessary
support infrastructure in India. A few years back, I put someone
who was involved in the India Literacy Project in touch with
someone who was trying to dispose of 150 286s; he looked into it
and said the Indian schools he was working with couldn't afford
to support and maintain a computer lab even if the computers
were free. Then again, these schools were in Tamilnadu; perhaps
the same considerations don't apply to Kerala.

--

Ranjit Mathews ran...@swdc.stratus.com
2065 Hamilton Ave 408-559-5371

Anil Das

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

Satish, Babu wrote:

> Many of us here are hopping mad at this state of affairs. The users on
> my BBS (fishnet.frlht.ernet.in) are planning out a collective e-mail
> memorandum to the DoT and VSNL authorities at New Delhi. We hope
> we will fill their buffers and spam out their hard disks.....!
>
> Will keep ACK informed about this. Perhaps all of you should chip in as well!

Absolutely! Please post the email addresses where ACKers
can send their protests.

--
Anil Das

Anish R. Malanthara

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <329659...@engr.sgi.com>,

And if someone from Thrissur wants to get a connection, what is the way to go
about it? The same with hmm.. Ernakulam too. I apologize if these details have
been posted earlier, I missed them. I would appreciate it if anyone can repost
them.

Thanks in advance,

--Anish.
an...@unm.edu

Seby Kottayil

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

I guess the main challenge is power shortage/fluctuation, difference in
voltage and cycle, in compatibility of sockets/adaptors, non-availability
of batteries and service/repair support and every other minor things
which we take for granted here in N.A., but has a high price in Kerala.

A viable alternative I could think of is to use the components from these
discarded/donated machines and reconstruct them in Kerala making them
adaptable to local conditions. If any of you think it is a worth while
proposition to pursue, E-mail me or post your thoughts.

Seby Sebastian

Ranjit Mathews Piravonu (ran...@swdc.stratus.com) wrote:
: I don't know how implementable the idea is without the necessary

spudo

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

I was wondering if any duty has to be paid if these computers are sent
to kerala for charity purposes..

Sandeep

mn...@bnr.ca (Maya Nair) wrote:

>In article <5738kr$d...@lana.zippo.com>, <Satish Babu> wrote:
>>>: Satish
>>>
>>>How about getting old 386/486 to kerala for this purpose and also for
>>>schools and colleges? Is there anyone doing this?
>>>
>>>jvj
>>>jj...@cctr.umkc.edu
>>
>>This would be a good idea. Perhaps, ACK can take the lead in starting
>>off a thread on what the ACKers can do for Kerala's schools and
>>colleges....
>>
>>Satish

>What a great idea!!

Koshy George

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

I agree.
Just transporting unused obsolete computers in bulk to Kerala,
wouldn't solve the problem.
There should be a responsible agency on the other side,
who would manage the distribution, reassembly of the parts and
repair.

-koshy george

Seby Kottayil (sko...@acs.ryerson.ca) wrote:
: I guess the main challenge is power shortage/fluctuation, difference in

: voltage and cycle, in compatibility of sockets/adaptors, non-availability
: of batteries and service/repair support and every other minor things
: which we take for granted here in N.A., but has a high price in Kerala.

: A viable alternative I could think of is to use the components from these
: discarded/donated machines and reconstruct them in Kerala making them
: adaptable to local conditions. If any of you think it is a worth while
: proposition to pursue, E-mail me or post your thoughts.

: Seby Sebastian

: : --

Maya Nair

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <57kl6b$4...@brockman.serv.net>,

We need to form a non-profit organisation that will have the necessary
contacts to determine the customs rules and whether the shipments of old
computers would be fined or taxed at all. Only if the Kerala government
is willing to help us will this charity effort go forward.

If private schools in Kerala already have computers (at least, that is
what I hear), then I am sure the public schools could at least use the
computers that are still working and also use the components from
non-working computers for lab projects and other design efforts.

It is so easy to put down this idea. But only if we believe that we
can all get together and give this a hand, will this idea become a
success.

If all the folks who are donating the computers need to do is mail
them to one location in US and then someone here sends the shipment
to Kerala where a designated organisation of HONEST, computer
knowledgeable folks take over the collection and distribution with
help from the government (since this is for public schools),
this WILL work!!

Let us keep this idea alive on the newsgroups as well as on the Kerala
pages on the web.

Regards.

Maya :)

"No one can predict to what heights you can soar. Even you will not
know until you spread your wings. You cannot discover new oceans
unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore".

Jiju Joseph

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96
to Maya Nair

It will be a good idea to talk to REC, Calicut, about this venture.
There may be expertise and personnel available at REC.
They may be interested in giving something back to the community in which
they exist.
Contact prin...@reccal.ernet.in
L SSS UUU
JIJU JOSEPH L SSS UUU
LLL SSS UUU

Ranjit Mathews Piravonu

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Er, ahem, perhaps Sh. P. Govinda Menon would be able to find a way
for free computers to be maintained in NSS schools. I presume that
these schools cater to every one. Given that he's been a Chairman
of Public Untertakings, he ought to be able to take on this
undertaking.

Seby Kottayil

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

If we are serious and want to see this work, may be some of us should
volunteer to share responsibilities and identify areas where one can
contribute/provide info. First we need someone who agrees to co-ordinate
between those who are willing to help. Then we need to know who will do
what and when etc. I suppose Maya will agree to co-ordinate ? :-). I
can obtain info re customs rules. May be we need someone else can found
out whether there were any efforts in the past to do something like this,
and what happened. Someone else can get a list of organizations in
Kerala who are likely candidates to receive such a donation. Someone
else can identify organizations here who are willing to donate. Someone
else can work out the costs etc. etc.

What do you guys think?

Seby

Maya Nair

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

In article <589iup$m...@ns2.ryerson.ca>,

A few people have expressed their interest in this project.
Before we start the ball rolling, we need to plan this program
and get the support we need from both sides.

Please e-mail me at pbn...@mindspring.com if you are interested.
We can also add this to the Kerala Web Pages for more participation.
Anybody interested? Does anyone have the e-mail addresses of
the public engineering colleges in Kerala?

Let us do what we can to help the situation in Kerala.

Regards.

Maya :)

Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already
mastered, you will never grow.
--- Ronald E. Osborn

Maya Nair

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

In article <58mdnh$1j...@usenetw1.news.prodigy.com>,
Dominic Dominic <BJG...@prodigy.com> wrote:
>I am willing to help on this project. Also I will try to convince the
>Malayalee Engineers Association in North America (MEANA) to support this
>effort and may be take the lead (as Maya suggested to me the other day).
>Lot of coordination is needed.
>
>Dominic
>-
> DOMINIC DOMINIC BJG...@prodigy.com
>http://www.kerala.org/meana

Thanks, Dominic! I hope all malayalees who read this will help
us with the project. Can anyone join MEANA? Or is it only for
engineers? I shall send you the membership fee soon.

Please e-mail Dominic or me (at pbn...@mindspring.com) if you
would like to be a part of this venture. Absolutely no pressure
to do anything or part with any money ;)

Regards.

Maya :)

Austin Pereira

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

Another idea would be to send US magazines to schools/colleges
in Kerala.

christmas, navavalsara ashamsakal !

- Austin

Kavita Thekkakara

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96
to BJG...@prodigy.com

Sorry I haven't kept up with this newsgroup in awhile, so what exactly
are you proposing to do??

Kavita

Kavita Thekkakara

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96
to BJG...@prodigy.com

Kavita Thekkakara

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96
to BJG...@prodigy.com

Kavita Thekkakara

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96
to BJG...@prodigy.com

Kavita Thekkakara

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96
to BJG...@prodigy.com

Maya Nair

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.961213105208.28532A-100000@thor>,
Sathyadev Ramachandran <sath...@fnal.gov> wrote:

> If the membership is exclusive why ask for help from non-members :-)

MEANA is an association of engineers, but anyone can support this
project. We need technical expertise on both sides for this venture
to succeed.

Only through our generosity and good will can this project
take off. I wonder how many of us are really willing to help our
brothers and sisters in Kerala.

I have received e-mails from some of you and you will be informed of
the progress of this project.

Please e-mail Dominic or me for more information.

Regards.

Maya :)

Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already
mastered, you will never grow.
--- Ronald E. Osborn

>On 12 Dec 1996, Dominic Dominic wrote:
>
>> MEANA is only open to Engineers of Malayalee origin witha four year
>> engineering /Computer science degree from an acredited institution or a
>> PE license. But the Computer project can be supported by anyone who is
>> willing to help us.

Maya Nair

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

Kavita,

We have about 10 - 15 people who have e-mailed me and promised to
help with this project. Dominic of the MEANA organization has agreed
to discuss this project with his committee members and if they
agree to support it, we need to get an organisation in Kerala to
do the same. We also need Government support from Kerala as we
want to help public schools and this is a charity effort with
almost no money as yet pledged.

Initially, we can all gather the information necessary, whether it
is from the government of Kerala or customs rules or shipping
charges. Hopefully all we have to do is absorb the shipping
charges to one location in US and let others take over. Generous
people may help with the shipping charges, etc. Or maybe some
Malayalee with his/her own business here can help this as a charity
donation.. We haven't worked all that out.

Personally, this may involve collecting old computers from friends,
neighbors, relatives and sending them to a central location here in
US. Let us be positive about this project. Malayalees are usually so
skeptical about everything - but so far, everyone who has e-mailed
me has been positive and encouraging.

If you are interested in helping out, do e-mail me..

Regards.

Maya :)

am...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96
to mn...@bnr.ca

In article <58sikk$g...@batph8.bnr.ca>,

I have just sent an e-mail to Maya about this, I thought I should atempt
posting an item in the newsgroup directly. Last week we had met the Director
of Public Instruction (DPI - In charge of schools, Trivandrum) in this matter.

We plan to "Computerise!" 100 schools with Government Funding.
We have a budget for 500 Pentium based PC's.
We had rejected the idea of old machines as spares seem to be difficult to get
even in my office, I am finding it difficult to maintain XT's and 286s
in schools it will be far more difficult
We require help in "SOFTWARE" development for the computers supplied.
All schools will have one computer with Multi-media kit

The DPI (Mrs Lida Jacob) is very keen on getting this going. We have
problems regarding training teachers and many other details in the
implementation. Availability of computers is not at all the problem.

We have just got the internet at Trivandrum but without a direct news posting
facility.

More details have been sent as e-mail to mnair.

Amarnath Raja
Manager(Systems)
milma (The local milk co-operative)
(An active member and ex-VP of the Computer Soc of India - TVM Chapter)
Pl. Reply to am...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in

Maya Nair

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

In article <8511367...@dejanews.com>,
<am...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote:

>I have just sent an e-mail to Maya about this, I thought I should
> <snip>

>The DPI (Mrs Lida Jacob) is very keen on getting this going. We have
>problems regarding training teachers and many other details in the
>implementation. Availability of computers is not at all the problem.
>
>We have just got the internet at Trivandrum but without a direct
news posting
>facility.
>
>More details have been sent as e-mail to mnair.
>
>Amarnath Raja
>Manager(Systems)
>milma (The local milk co-operative)
>(An active member and ex-VP of the Computer Soc of India - TVM Chapter)
>Pl. Reply to am...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in

Amar,

This is wonderful news indeed!!

Some of us have been e-mailing each other and trying to get more
information for this project. It is great to see that folks there
are so keen on Computers for Schools too!

I am a software engineer and I shall e-mail you directly as to the
requirements for the computers in the Schools. Due to the Christmas
holidays, most of the people are off and we may have to wait until
the beginning of 1997.

Regards.

Maya :)

am...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in

Dec 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/25/96

In article <59nif1$2...@batph8.bnr.ca>,

mn...@bnr.ca (Maya Nair) wrote:

> I am a software engineer and I shall e-mail you directly as to the
> requirements for the computers in the Schools. Due to the Christmas
> holidays, most of the people are off and we may have to wait until
> the beginning of 1997.
>
> Regards.
>
> Maya :)

Yes the Xmas vacation has started here also. I will not be in Trivandrum
till 1st Jan.

Merry Xmas and a happy new year to all

Amarnath Raja - Trivandrum - Kerala