IISc makes DIESEL from seeds

Dilli

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

This is no Rameer Pillay joke fellas.
It looks like, it is the real thing.

CNBC TV showed today the following interesting news item.

Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India has developed a simple
process to extract diesel oil from a seed, that is abundantly available
on a particular type of tree, that grows in the wild all over South India.

Prof Udipi Srinivas of IISc says that the the Diesel fuel extracted from
this
seed is superior to the refined types, producing far less carbon monoxide
emissions and pollutants.

The IISc process to extract the Diesel fuel being quite simple, even small
scale village industries can produce the fuel in quantity - said Prof
Srinivas.
A few small pilot plants are already in operation.

Presently the fuel is now being used to run water pumps, tractors and
automobiles fitted with diesel engines.

It costs Rs 8 ( 20 cents ) to produce a liter of this diesel fuel.
Currently the market price for refined diesel in India is Rs 12.

This new natural Diesel has attracted the attention of large international
oil companies.

Gopala Ganesh

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

Hi!

I have never met Ramar (he does not want to use the caste name) and left
Tamil Nadu a long, long time ago. However, I have this feeling in my
heart, after reading his heart-tugging story in a leading Tamil mag. I
really DO think that he was onto something! Since petroleum is formed
from organic matter and given the incredible bio-diversity of India (at
least the one that I left!), it is quite conceivable that such a seed
indeed exists. Ramar indeed may have stumbled onto something. His
methods may have been crude and he may have lacked formal education.
Certainly not the resources and collectibe brain power of IISc. However,
please remember that Tom Edison had little formal education of the kind
we recognize and reward today! Hope someone, someday gets the truth out
on good old Ramar.

On a different point, if petroleum IS formed from organic matter, given
the plentifulness of vegetation in the subcontinent since the dawn of
time, shouldn't there be some deposits there, on the land, especially
since Saudi Arabia is so close by? Any one with better knowledge out
there? I am no chem/petro/geological engineer. Please resort to
ridicule. This is a sincere query!

Meanwhile, I am rooting very strongly for Ramar!

- ganesh

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

Gopala Ganesh wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have never met Ramar (he does not want to use the caste name) and left
> Tamil Nadu a long, long time ago. However, I have this feeling in my
> heart, after reading his heart-tugging story in a leading Tamil mag. I
> really DO think that he was onto something! Since petroleum is formed
> from organic matter and given the incredible bio-diversity of India (at
> least the one that I left!), it is quite conceivable that such a seed
> indeed exists. Ramar indeed may have stumbled onto something. His
> methods may have been crude and he may have lacked formal education.
> Certainly not the resources and collectibe brain power of IISc. However,
> please remember that Tom Edison had little formal education of the kind
> we recognize and reward today! Hope someone, someday gets the truth out
> on good old Ramar.
>
> On a different point, if petroleum IS formed from organic matter, given
> the plentifulness of vegetation in the subcontinent since the dawn of
> time, shouldn't there be some deposits there, on the land, especially
> since Saudi Arabia is so close by? Any one with better knowledge out
> there? I am no chem/petro/geological engineer. Please resort to
> ridicule. This is a sincere query!

Well , you asked for it. Petrol from leaves indeed ! What's next ? Home delivery
by Santa Claus ? A lot of people believe in the junk peddled by this guy because
they suffer from a common Indian desease - immature dependence. It makes them
believe in anything - Sai Baba, Tirupati, milk-drinking Ganeshas, X Baba, Y Baba
you name it. Their lives are essentially spent waiting for some miracle or the
other. That is the nerve that Ramar Pillai 'touched' - the desperate need to
believe in miracles. If Ramar Pillai produces petrol from leaves and water , I
shall be the next Republican candidate for president of the United States.

J.

Gopala Ganesh

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Forget about Ramar! You missed my point! The flora species family is
very, very diverse. Vegetation and petroleum are BOTH organic. Why
ANNOT there be a scientific link, not yet found? Please explain and I
will gladly accept! And what do you say to the IISC? Seeds are pretty
close to leaves, figuratively as well! - ganesh

INDIA GATES

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98
to jais...@worldnet.att.net

IT'S NEITHER PETROL NOR DIESEL, IT'S ONLY GAS

INDIA GATES

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98
to Gopala Ganesh

I think it's enough on this topic.

Kunal Singh

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

In article <6dq6n6$c...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net> Gopala Ganesh <gga...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

On a different point, if petroleum IS formed from organic matter, given
the plentifulness of vegetation in the subcontinent since the dawn of
time, shouldn't there be some deposits there, on the land, especially
since Saudi Arabia is so close by? Any one with better knowledge out
there? I am no chem/petro/geological engineer. Please resort to
ridicule. This is a sincere query!

I've always wondered the same thing. I mean just about most organic
matter is "flammable" or a "fuel" once the water has been removed.
People have been burning dry wood and hay for thousands of years.
Petroleum just seems to be a very concentrated form of organic fuel
that seems to have undergone some transformation in a high pressure
environment underground over a long time. Interestingly, coal seems
to be an intermediate form. The petroleum and coal deposits must form
from a broad mixture of all kinds of plants. So it doesn't seem
impossible that you could find a relatively concentrated form of
organic fuel within the plant kingdom more conducive to creating
usable fuel than having it buried for a thousand years.

I would also be very interested if some petro engineer or geologist
can sum up for us what differences in the climate/geology lead to the
formation of the three kinds of organic fuel sources: coal, oil, and
natural gas from what I guess is the same plant matter.

Prem Thomas

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

> In article <6dq6n6$c...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net> Gopala Ganesh <gga...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
> On a different point, if petroleum IS formed from organic matter, given
> the plentifulness of vegetation in the subcontinent since the dawn of
> time, shouldn't there be some deposits there, on the land, especially
> since Saudi Arabia is so close by? Any one with better knowledge out
> there? I am no chem/petro/geological engineer. Please resort to
> ridicule. This is a sincere query!

I remember reading in the Indian media, in the early 80's, articles on a (retired)Bengali ONGC
engineer, who claimed that ONGC's own exploratory work indicated that the entire Ganges/Brahmaputra
delta was literally floating on oil. I don't recall the scientist's name, but I do remember him as
being a senior engineer. He also stated that the Godavari delta was a vast reservoir of oil(something
which now appears to be true) and also that the off-shore Andaman and Malabar/Konkan coasts had
substantial reserves.

His take on the situation was the New Delhi deliberately suppressed any exploitation of these findings
for political reasons. Incidentally, there is an old tale amongst oil "wildcatters" that major
shrimping areas are also major oilfields. Cursory examination would make it seem so: look at the Gulf
coast of the US, the Indonesian/Thai/Vietnamese shrimping grounds etc. Does anybody have any more
input on this?

Prem

mailto:pre...@qed.net

Devendran

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Kunal Singh wrote:

> I've always wondered the same thing. I mean just about most organic
> matter is "flammable" or a "fuel" once the water has been removed.
> People have been burning dry wood and hay for thousands of years.
> Petroleum just seems to be a very concentrated form of organic fuel
> that seems to have undergone some transformation in a high pressure
> environment underground over a long time.

Water is about 10% by weight made up of hydrogen which is highly
flammable. It reqires energy to separate the hydrogen from water (eg,
eletrolysis) and you can reclaim about 80% of the energy expended by re
combustion. i.e we have a negative energy balance. Cold fusion claimed
you can have a positive balance using certain catalysts. It has still
not been disproved! Maybe Ramar's herb has that property! (Well then
pigs can fly by growing wings through genetic engineering!)

Kunal Singh

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

In article <35058A...@geocities.com> Devendran <ind...@geocities.com> writes:

.. stuff deleted ..

not been disproved! Maybe Ramar's herb has that property! (Well then

^^^^^^^^^

pigs can fly by growing wings through genetic engineering!)

That is another interesting aspect of agriculture today, the use of
genetic engineering. An application that may have been prohibitive a
few years ago in terms of yield, production, number of years to
maturity, etc. may no longer be, with a little "tweaking." The best
thing would be something along Ramar's line of thinking, leaves which
yield some form of fuel, as opposed to seeds.