QED

r...@swpvia.uucp

Dec 15, 1989, 4:37:00 AM12/15/89
> What's the Esperanto equivalent to QED (quod erat demonstrandum, or "which
> was to be demonstrated")?

We need four components:
- passive past: "-it-"
- to be done: "-end"
- prove, demonstrate: "prov-" (I'm not sure, dictionary at home)
- thing that is result or subject of action: "-a^j-"

So I should think "provitenda^jo" would be a suitable translation?

> And while I'm at it, what's the Esperanto equiv.
> of the phrase "that which is demonstrated" ?

Similarly:
- passive: "-i^g-"
- "prov-"
- is being done: "-ant-"
- thing that is result or subject of action: "-a^j-"

So: provi^ganta^jo ?

I'm not very sure of this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
I like this kind of "how to build a word" discussions, because
Esperanto is essentially a building block language (like UNIX, which
I like for the same reason).

met vriendelijke groeten/mit freundlichen Gruessen/with kindest regards,

Ruud Harmsen, Nixdorf Computer, SWP-Vianen
Postbus 29, NL 4130 EA VIANEN, Nederland
Phone *31.3473.62365
E-mail: mail hp4nl!targon!swpvia!rh
or: ..!targon!swpvia!rh
Nerv: xmail harmsen.via

r...@swpvia.uucp

Dec 18, 1989, 4:09:00 AM12/18/89
> > What's the Esperanto equivalent to QED (quod erat demonstrandum, or "which
> > was to be demonstrated")?
>
> We need four components:
> - passive past: "-it-"
> - to be done: "-end"
> - prove, demonstrate: "prov-" (I'm not sure, dictionary at home)
> - thing that is result or subject of action: "-a^j-"

As I already feared, indeed I was wrong:
provi = try, try on, try out etc.
pruvi = prove
pruvo = proff

So: QED = pruvitenda^jo

amike salutinta / met vriendelijke groeten/