FAQ: Caribbean Related Internet/BBS links & Resources

Gerry George

Aug 7, 1993, 9:20:54 PM8/7/93
===========================CARIBBEAN BBS & INTERNET FAQ===========================

This is the current (and long overdue) updated list of Caribbean BBS's and
relevant information regarding access to the internet. This list is being
maintained by myself and any additions, deletions, corrections, or changes
should be forwarded to me, gge...@csa.bu.edu (or gge...@jacquot.ci.net)

This list will hopefully be posted on a monthly basis, from the S.C.C.
archives via anonymous FTP, and will soon be made available via e-mail
(more on this at a later date).

List of BBS around the Caribbean

BARBADOS=====================================================================
Name Hours Max
On Off Days Speed Phone # Sysop
KEVTONE 24 Hours 7 DAYS 2400 429-6772 Tony Grant
KNET 24 Hours 7 DAYS 2400 429-6772
ONIS 24 Hours 7 DAYS 9600 427-4636
ORANGE 24 Hours 7 Days 9600 438-0573 David Howard

Kevtone BBS (809)-429-6772

Address:
Sysop: Tony Grant
Tel: (809)-429-9470
Fax:
BBS Software: RBBS-PC
CPU:
Max Speed: 2400
Error Correction:
(N)onstop, (Q)uit, or (C)ontinue?Storage:
Established:
Availability: 24 hours
Fee: None

Single line BBS with File Library, info on CLUB MS-DOS computers.
Offers online games through Doors, and Barbados Lottery info

ONIS BBS (809)-427-4636

Address: Bridgetown, Barbados
Sysop: Richard Perkins
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software: RBBS-PC v17.3
CPU: 80386
Max Speed: 9600
Error Correction: YES
Storage: 1024Mb
Established: 11/90
Availability: 1900-0800 daily 24 hours weekends
Fee: B$60/year

Information service with over 7000 shareware programs

BERMUDA==================================================

Christian Deliverance (809)-292-1774

Address: Devonshire, Bermuda
Sysop: Craig Clark
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software: GT-Power 17.06
CPU: 80386
Max Speed: 14400
Error Correction: YES
Storage: 1500Mb
Established: 10/89
Availability: 24 hours
Fee: None

Member of international GT-Power network 038/000, Shareware, SIGs, games

JAMAICA======================================================================
Name Hours Max
On Off Days Speed Phone # Sysop

COLIS BBS 24 hours 7 DAYS 2400 978-5322 Gary Smith
14400 978-5371
14400 978-5331

CSS BBS 6:00 pm 7:00 am 7 DAYS 2400 927-8400 Roger Chang
All day most weekends

CUNET (CAST) 24 hours 7 DAYS 9600 977-0973 Archie Marshall

CUNET (UWI) 5:00 pm 8:00 am 7 DAYS 2400 927-2253 Keith Manison
All day weekends (Temporarily down)
(Modem disconnected)

CUNET (WIC) 5:00 pm 8:00 am 7 DAYS 2400 962-4258 Archie Marshall
(West Indies College, Mandeville) All day weekends

JABBS 7:00 pm 7:00 am 7 DAYS 2400 929-0807 Nigel Dayes
(Temporarily down)
(Hard drive crash)

JAMINTEL INTERNATIONAL DATA ACCESS SERVICE (IPSS, DATAPAC, TELENET, TYMNET)
I.D.A.S. 24 hours 7 DAYS 1200 924-9915-9 D.P. Martin
2400 924-9910

POWER BBS 7->8 pm 8:00 am MTWTF 2400 NMP5 922-7647 Sheldon Campbell
some SS

SIM.GOS.SOL. 6:00 pm 9:00 am MTWTF 2400 979-3069 Donald Solarge
Sat from 10pm, all day Sun
(Temporarily down)
(Hard drive crash)
JABBS (809)-929-0807

Jamaica Access BBS

Address:
Sysop:
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software: RBBS-PC
CPU:
Max Speed: 2400
Error Correction:
Storage:
Established:
Availability: 1900-0800 daily 24 hours weekends
Fee: None

CSSBBS (809)-927-8400

Computer Sales and Services BBS

Address:
Sysop: Roger Chang
Tel: (809)-927-5553
Fax: (809)-978-2826
BBS Software: RBBS-PC
CPU:
Max Speed: 2400
Error Correction:
Storage:
Established:
Availability: 1800-0700
Fee: None

ST. THOMAS/US VIRGIN ISLANDS=============================

CARIBBEAN BREEZE (809)-773-0195, (809)-773-2784

Address: Post Office Box 24752, Christiansted, St. Croix 00824
Sysop: Douglas Canton
Tel: (809)-773-4275
Fax:
BBS Software: Telefinder Pro
CPU:
Max Speed:14400
Error Correction:YES
Storage:
Established:
Availability:24 hours
Fee:

COMDAT (809)-779-4066

The Caribbean Connection

Address:
Sysop: Thom MacDonald
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software: Wildcat V3.55
CPU: MS-DOS 80486
Max Speed: 14.4k
Error Correction: YES
Storage: 600Mb
Established: 01/90
Availability: 24 hours
Fee: None

Information system for and about the US and British Virgin Islands. Fido
address 1:367/20

SANTO DOMINGO============================================

CIF-BBS (809)-541-2929

Address:
Sysop:
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software:
CPU:
Max Speed:
Error Correction:
Storage:
Established:
Availability:
Fee:

PUERTO RICO==============================================
THE WALL (809)-789-9655, (809)-272-8015

Address:
Sysop: Dennis Ayala
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software: SuperBBS V1.16-B
CPU: MS-DOS 80386
Max Speed: 14.4k
Error Correction: YES
Storage: 200Mb
Established: 06/91
Availability: 24 hours
Fee: US$30/year

SuperBBS beta, support, and registration site. FIDONET 367 echo coordinator

The Tropical Island BBS (809)-849-5921

Address:
Sysop: Ricardo Romero
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software: Spitfire V3.2
CPU: MS-DOS 80386
Max Speed: 14.4k
Error Correction: YES
Storage: 800Mb
Established: 06/91
Availability: 24 hours
Fee: None

PCRelay net (RIME>TROPICAL), FidoNet 1:367/22, RBBSNet 8:999/21, multiple file
libraries

CYCLONE BBS (809)-756-8863

Address:
Sysop: Erik Hanftwurzel
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software: PCBoard V14.5a
CPU: MS-DOS 80386
Max Speed: 19.2k
Error Correction: YES
Storage: 212Mb
Established: 11/89
Availability: 24 hours
Fee: US$35/year

Many door games, PC-SIG library files online, adult section

Gilberto Nazario (809)-274-0084 2400 bps

Manati BBS (809)-854-4296 2400 bps

Mikes Place (809)-865-2025 2400 bps

Ranger BBS (809)-269-4970 2400 Baud

Shinning Star BBS (809)-265-7843 2400 Baud

The Barn (809)-781-9805 19200 bps

The Connection BBS (809)-865-2722 2400 bps

The Island Sun BBS (809)-783-9542 19200 Baud

ST. LUCIA================================================

ISIS - Institute of Self Improvement Services
Castries, St. Lucia
Offers: internet e-mail (UUCP node)

We are actually using Waffle 1.64 here at ISIS and the feed that I set up
through Puerto Rico is for free for the time being as a part of the CUNET
project sponsored by the OAS.

ISIS is a non-profit organization dedicated to the development of the
peoples of the Eastern Caribbean. We have established ourselves as one
of the premiere deliverers of Computer Education in St. Lucia. We are
associated to WINTRUST which is a private charitable foundation approved
by the government of St. Lucia.

email: eins...@isis.org.lc

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO======================================
Name Hours Max
On Off Days Speed Phone # Sysop
OPUS NETWORX 24 Hours 7 DAYS 2400 628-5023 Peter Wimbourne
INFOLINE 24 Hours 7 days 2400 625-7543
625-7544 Wayne Sheppard
AMBIONET 24 Hours 7 days 9600 627-7544
627-0979 Roger St.Hilaire

INFOLINE (809)-625-7543,(809)-625-7544

Address: The Society of Computer Users of Trinidad & Tobago,Newtown Post
Office, Port of Spain
Sysop: Wayne Sheppard
Tel:
Fax:
BBS Software: Major BBS V5.31
CPU: IBM PS/2 Model 70 80386
Max Speed: 2400
Error Correction: NO
Storage: 120MB
Established:
Availability: 24 hours
Fee: None to members of the Society

AMBIONET (809)-627-7544, (809)-627-0979

Address: 20-22 St. Vincent Street, Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Sysop: Roger St. Hilaire
Tel: (809)-623-1969
Fax:
BBS Software: Major BBS V5.31
CPU: Northgate 80386-33
Max Speed: 9600
Error Correction: YES
Storage:
Established:
Availability: 24 hours
Fee:

OPUS NETWORX (809)-628-5023

Address: Post Office Box 972, Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Sysop: Peter Wimbourne
Tel: (809)-625-5949
Fax: (809)-625-5950
BBS Software: Major BBS V6.03
CPU: Gateway 80386-33
Max Speed: 2400
Error Correction: YES
Storage: 900MB
Established: 02/90
Availability: 24 hours
Fee: TT$115.00 (US$27.00)signup, hourly fee of TT$11.50 (US$2.75)
Signup includes 5 hours of time

The Caribbean's Biggest BBS, offering e-mail, Forums, Teleconferencing, a
Software Library with over 17,000 files. Online games include Androids, Fazuul,
Quest For Magic, Super Nova, Hangman, Tingo, Blackjack, Poker, and Super Lotto.
Trivial Pursuit competition every other Thursday. Daily news service from
USATODAY, Business Sense, Online Digital Music Review, The AM Report. Supports
IBM, Macintosh, Amiga, Commodore64, Atari, UNIX, OS/2. Agent for Mcafee
Associates anti-virus software and utilities. Home of THE (809) LIST

BBS NAME ____________________________________________

ADDRESS________________________________________________

FAX NUMBER____________________________________________

VOICE NUMBER___________________________________________

BBS PHONE NUMBER(S) ____________________________________

BBS HIGHEST BAUD RATE _________________________________

MODEM MODEL(S)_________________________________________

ERROR CORRECTION PROTOCOLS_____________________________

STORAGE CAPACITY_____Mb NUMBER OF LINES_________

DATE STARTED____________ HOURS OF OPERATION__________

COMPUTER USED____________ SOFTWARE USED____________

VERSION NUMBER____________

SIGNUP FEE IN TT$_______YOUR CURRENCY_________US$___________

HOURLY FEE IN TT$______YOUR CURRENCY__________US$___________

BRIEF BBS DESCRIPTION __________________________________________

YOUR SIGNATURE PLEASE : __________________________________ Date ____________

YOUR FULL NAME ___________________________________________

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS LISTING? ____________________________-

Mail to : Peter Wimbourne or Fax to: (809)-625-5950
OPUS NETWORX
Post Office Box 972,
Port of Spain,
Trinidad & Tobago

OPUS NETWORX makes every effort to verify the information contained in this
listing, but cannot guarantee that all systems listed will be in operation.

Gerry George - UWI e-mail & CariBBS list maintainer
gge...@csa.bu.edu
gge...@jacquot.ci.net

Gerry George

Aug 7, 1993, 9:20:24 PM8/7/93
=======================CARIBBEAN INTERNET FAQ=============================

This is the current (and long overdue) updated list of users at UWI - CAST
and relevant information regarding their access to the internet. This list
is being maintained by me and any additions, deletions, corrections, and any

changes should be forwarded to me, gge...@csa.bu.edu (or gge...@jacquot.ci.net)

This list will hopefully be posted on a monthly basis, and will soon be made

available via e-mail (more on this at a later date).

Q. Is there any e-mail access to the UWI (Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados)?
What is the e-mail address? How can I contact them?

A. E-mail is now available to and from UWI (Jamaica). Access is still not
universal (all members on campus), but interest is growing. There are
still restrictions, primarily due to lack of funding and the costs of
telephone service. Hopefully we at S.C.C can arrange something to provide
them access to S.C.C. I would welcome discussions on the matter in the
newsgroup (or to me in private e-mail if you so prefer).

Regarding UWI-Mona, the Mona campus of UWI is registered as uwimona.edu.jm.
You can reach them also by explicitly routing your mail as follows:
uwimona!us...@mxruc.clu.net
mxruc!uwimona!us...@upr2.clu.net
**replace user withy the name of the person you wish to reach**

There is still no information (to date) regarding access to St. Augustine
Campus (Trinidad) and Cave Hill (Barbados).

Following are excerpts from miscellaneous conversations between S.C.C
persons and UWI persons regarding e-mail and Usenet access. This will
hopefully attempt to answer miscellaneous questions, and provide information
on the state of the connectivity in the region.
Posted in S.C.C.
From: ric...@auvax1.adelphi.edu
Subject: **CAST, Jamaica, Complete E-Mail Listing**

This list is posted in order to facilitate correspondence between us and
individuals at the College of Arts, Science and Technology in Jamaica.
They are not directly connected, but send/recieve mail in batches
several times a day. Please give them all the assistance to access
services/goods this side of the Caribbean. Without further ado, here is the
culmination of my efforts towards improving s.c.c. - use with discretion.

From: ro...@cast.edu.jm (Roger Chang)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 93 21:21:33 EST

On the question of UWI-Mona's internet/e-mail access:

Not sure UWI-Mona is connected in a 'public' way as CAST is.
I spoke to a number of lecturers and the sysadmin and they
confirmed that only an 'elite' group are priviliged to use
it. I guess because of the lack of funding to pay the long
distance phone bill.

Regarding the gateway set up to feed the newsgroup rec.music.reggae
to your site via e-mail. Has the same thing been done for
soc.culture.caribbean?

Not that I know of. I spoke to the sysadmin and he said that he
could set it up, but is VERY reluctant because of the amount of
stuff that would come over and run up a large long distant
phone bill. He has a limited amount of funds, and when it
finishes, we will be no more! or until he gets more money.
Maybe you guys can help.

Are you interested?

Yes, but constrained as discussed above.
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1993 08:25:50 +1100
From: Robert Lancashire <R.Lanc...@st.nepean.uws.edu.au>
To: rob...@sunrise.cse.fau.edu

Mona recently purchased US $11 of computing equipment!!
A Convex supercomputer, 20-30 SUN clone RISC SPARC's
fibre optic LAN scanners, lasers etc.

As part of the deal was the link to PR for Bitnet connection.
To get things started, Mona set up a node arrangement where mail was
collected and sent across once or twice a day.
Under these conditions newsgroups were NOT available.
Since I have been away (Dec 92), the fibre has been laid and by now the
net should be in operation?
The next step is a leased line to PR and then we wait for some IDB funding
to come through (before 94) to connect all Dept's and hopefully quite
a few staff offices, giving access to about 200 people.
Comp Sci. should be connected first. They have a new building, are now
established as a separate Dept (they used to be part of Maths) and have
a fairly good lab with 20 386's, 12 Macs, 6 Sparcs and IBM have lent
them a RS 6000?
Things are starting to buzz..
I got my first mail from UWI in quite a while on Fri.
I had sent my post grad a lit search which arrived safely.
Was expecting more this morning but will wait to hear what
the latest problem is!

Regards,
Dr. Robert Lancashire
E-mail rjl...@st.nepean.uws.edu.au
Visiting Fellow, Department of Chemistry
Tel (61 47) 36074
University of Western Sydney, Nepean
Fax (61 47) 360713
P.O. Box 10, Kingswood, NSW 2747, AUSTRALIA

From: ro...@cast.edu.jm (Roger Chang)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 93 21:21:33 EST

Userlist @ cast.edu.jm, 160 total

abooth | Andrew Boothe | 01-Jan-19 | Guest On server Mink
ad | advocate | 01-Jul-93 | Unvalidated
advocate | paul sherman | 01-Jul-93 | Unvalidated
ahmed | Adeel Ahmed | 08-Jul-93 | Validated
ainsley | Ainsley A. Lowe | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
ainslow | ainsley lowe | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
aiwa | David Duncan | 01-Jan--1 | Validated
amanda | Anthony R. Forrester | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
anarchy | Richard Neish | 01-Jul-93 | Validated
and | jackson | 12-Jun-93 | Validated
andy | andrew stewart | 29-Jun-93 | Validated
apsuth | Andrea Sutherland | 01-Jan-70 | CAST
archie | Archie Marshall | 23-Jun-93 | Validated
aupha | Hop Holmberg | 01-Jan--1 | Validated
bats | Henry Batson (B. Eng. | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
bfine | Shane Kee | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
binkey | Michael smith | 06-Jun-93 | Validated
bj | Jason Bernard | 24-Jun-93 | Validated
blade | Bladerunner | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
casper | Moodie_c | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
castcc | the UUCP login | 00-???-00 | UUCP Login
castic | Peter Downey | 05-Jul-93 | Validated
ceis | Mona Whyte | 28-Jun-93 | Validated
cheeky | Andrew "6Y5KW" Wilkins | 08-Jul-93 | Validated
citizen | Trevor R.A. Harrison | 24-Jun-93 | Validated
clancy | Clancy Lawrence A.Sc | 01-Jul-93 | Validated
cool_1 | sheldon campbell | 03-Jun-93 | Validated
curly | curly | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
dad | aiwa | 21-May-93 | Unvalidated
daley | Delroy daley | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
dasang | President -CAST | 26-May-93 | College of Arts , Science and
david | David Simm IEEE | 06-Jul-93 | Validated
dean | Dean holland | 01-Jan-70 | validated
dee_tee | Donna Taylor | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
default | Default Account | 00-???-00 | Unvalidated
delly | Delroy daley | 01-Jan-97 | Validated
dennis | Dennis | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
dful | Dahlia Fuller | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
disceroa | Diser patto | 31-May-93 | Validated
ditty | Chris Levy | 10-Jun-93 | Validated
doc | Owen Sullivan | 08-Jul-93 | Validated
don | Laws | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
dorito | razorback | 01-Jan-97 | Validated
douglas | Douglas hayden | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
downie | Omar Downie | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
dynomax | Chris elliott | 06-Jul-93 | Validated
eagle | Eagle Foundation | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
edcooper | ed Cooper | 06-Jul-93 | Valiadted
elpipe | maurice barnes | 01-Jun-93 | Validated
etienne | Etienne | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
eton | Everton Mullings | 15-Jun-93 | Validated
evroyj | Evroy Johnson | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
fen | Fenton Alexander | 01-Jan-97 | validated
fergus | James a. f. sherman | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
firefox | Vendyres Baker | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
fmack | fjmcd | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
foxx | Foxx | 01-Jan-19 | Validate
franco | Franco | 13-Jun-93 | Validated
fred | Fred ho | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
ftpmail | the UUCP login | 00-???-00 | UUCP Login
garfield | Garfield | 10-Jun-93 | Valiadted
garth | James neish | 15-Jun-93 | Validated
generald | Douglas Vivian | 01-Jan-97 | Validate
genius | Gene T | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
geniusii | Sandi Bell | 08-Jul-93 | Validate
geon | Anthony St. John | 01-Jan-97 | Validated
gina | Gina Harrison | 01-Jan-97 | Validate
gizmo | Glenroy levy | 13-Jun-93 | Validated
gordon | Gordon Foote | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
granny | Granville Gayle | 01-Jan-19 | Valiadted
guest | Default Account | 04-Jun-93 | Unvalidated
guy | Cobra commander | 01-Jan--1 | Validated
gyro | bruce | 12-Jun-93 | Validated
help | killer | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
hitek | Lancelot Green | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
howie | Howard Stewart | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
ice | Iceman | 02-Jun-93 | Validated
jo | josh | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
jody | jody | 01-Jan-19 | validated
joelmoo | Joel Moo-Young | 24-Jun-93 | Validated
joker | Jonathan Allen | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
jond | John K. S. Dawkins | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
josie | Joslyn Gordon | 04-Jun-93 | Validated
jshaw | Julian Shaw | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
jughead | Mario Marshall | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
juliver | Judith Knight | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
jumbo | Donald Solarge | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
karlos | Karl gordon | 22-Jun-93 | validated
kathykin | katherine kinlocke | 07-Jun-93 | Validated
kempes | richard aitken | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
kfree | Kwyer free | 03-Jun-93 | Validated
lai | Steven pringle | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
lance | lance Morant | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
laws | Lawson Young | 01-Jan-19 | Validate
lego | stephen legister | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
linham | chamlins | 30-Jun-93 | Unvalidated
lotus | Nigel A. Dayes | 01-Jan-97 | Validated
luca | luca | 01-Jan-19 | Valiadted
lucifer | jody | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
madmax | Madmax | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
marc | Marc Lampart | 01-Jan-70 | Validate
matrix | Dale Stephenson | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
max | max b | 01-Jan-97 | Unvalidated
melody | Glen jackman | 05-Jul-93 | Validated
mieks | annemiek busch | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
miguel | mike forbes | 01-Jan-70 | Validate
mikef | Mike Fisher | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
mikey | Micheal Smith | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
mikeyb | Scottie | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
millwood | Dept of Computer -CAST | 01-Jan-19 | Lecturert Computer Center CAST
minstrel | andy | 06-Jul-93 | Validated
motivato | Motivator | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
muuro | Anthony murray | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
neilmck | Neil mckenzie | 18-Jun-93 | Validated
netadm | Network Admin. | 01-Jan-97 | C.A.S.T
norman | guest 2 on mink | 01-Jan--1 | JPS Metering Division
ozzie | Ozmon | 22-May-93 | validated
pepsi | pepsicola | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
petermoo | Peter Moo-Young | 24-Jun-93 | Validated
pound | Errol Sterling | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
ppeck | Percival peck | 01-Jan-19 | validated
prince | Primo prince | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
quest | Default Account | 00-???-00 | Unvalidated
rasta | rasta boogie | 01-Jan-97 | Validated
rgibbs | Richard Gibbs | 01-Jan--1 | Validated
rico | tennyson brown | 13-Jun-93 | Unvalidated
rikki | Ricardo F. Chung | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
rjlanc | Dept of Chem - Uwi | 08-Jul-93 | Dept of Chemistry -Uwimona
robbi | Lancelot Robinson (B. | 22-Jun-93 | Validated
robby | robert martin | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
roger | Roger Chang | 08-Jul-93 | CSS - BBS
root | Postmaster Account | 01-Jan--1 | No comment..
roxyclay | Roxroy Clayton | 01-Jan--1 | Validated
rudeboy | Lawson Young | 08-Jul-93 | Validated
ruders | orville | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
sashma | Duane | 07-Jul-93 | Validated
sel | Selvin | 06-Jun-93 | Validated
selvin | Selvin gabriel | 23-May-93 | Validated
shadow | Michael Jureidini | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
silver | Silver Claw | 01-Jan-97 | Validated
simmo | Devon SIMMONDS | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
snaggle | Nigel wilkinson | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
stone | Andrew upstone | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
sule | khary sharpe | 01-Jan--1 | Validated
system | SYSTEM 0PERATOR | 23-Jun-93 | Somewhere In Time
tempo1 | cortney williams | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
terminat | Bazil Stewart | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
thunder | Patrick K. Tsang | 01-Jan-97 | validated
trixster | Calvin gabriel | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
two | Steve Surgeon | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
uucp | the UUCP login | 10-Jun-93 | UUCP Login
uwimona | Uwimona - UUCP Login | 01-Jan-97 | Valiadated
wade | wade hanna | 08-Jul-93 | Validated
wam | Wayne Anthony | 01-Jan-97 | Validate
wayne | Wayne | 01-Jan--1 | Validated
wgie | Andrew Pairman | 01-Jan-19 | Validated
wugie | andrew pairman | 01-Jan-70 | Validated
x | Default Account | 00-???-00 | Unvalidated
zac | john case | 06-Jun-93 | Validated

Gerry George

Aug 7, 1993, 9:20:43 PM8/7/93
===========================CARIBBEAN BBS & INTERNET FAQ===========================

This is the current (and long overdue) updated list of Caribbean BBS's and

relevant information regarding access to the internet. This list is being
maintained by myself and any additions, deletions, corrections, or changes

should be forwarded to me, gge...@csa.bu.edu (or gge...@jacquot.ci.net)

This list will hopefully be posted on a monthly basis, from the S.C.C.
archives via anonymous FTP, and will soon be made available via e-mail

(more on this at a later date).

Q. Are there any BBS's in the Caribbean area?
A. Yes, see attached list.

Q. Are any of them connected to the Internet?
A. Very few of them. See details in list, of contact the necessary
BBS's Sysop directly.

Q. Are there any publicly accessible e-mail/internet sites?
A. There are a few scattered sites throughout the region, but to date
most of the BBS's are not Internet based, nor have Internet
gateways. Stay tuned, though.....

Q. Is there any e-mail access to the UWI (Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados)?

A. Refer to the UWI_e-mail.FAQ posted in this newsgroup, and available
from the S.C.C. archives.

Q. What is the e-mail address? How can I contact them?
A. See previous question/answer.

Q. Where can I find the up-to-date list of Caribbean Based BBS's,
UWI_e-mail list, etc.
A. In the S.C.C archives, accessible via anonymous FTP. In the future,
those lists will be avauilable via e-mail requests. Stay tuned for
more info.

Caribbean-related networks/newsgroups etc.
From: rei...@aisb.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: comp.society.development
Subject: Country by Country Net Connectivity [LASPAU-L forward]
Date: 14 Feb 92 09:04:40 GMT
Sender: rei...@aisb.ed.ac.uk (Ehud Reiter)
INTERNATIONAL CONNECTIVITY
Version 4 - February 10, 1991
-----------------------------------
In the following, BITNET is used generically to refer to BITNET plus
similar networks around the world (e.g., EARN, NETNORTH, GULFNET, etc.).
---------------------------------

Recent major changes include additional Fidonet links in Africa, Internet links
in Eastern Europe and UUCP links in the Carribbean (CUNET - The Carribbean
University Network)...

SUMMARY

NUMBER OF ENTITIES WITH INTERNATIONAL NETWORK CONNECTIVITY = 106

BITNET Col. 2 (Entities with international BITNET links.)
b = minimal < 5 domestic sites = 15
B = widespread >= 5 domestic sites = 31
x = uncertain = 1
INTERNET Col. 3 (Entities with international IP links.)
I = operational = 38
i = soon available = 6
UUCP Col. 4 (Entities with international UUCP links.)
u = minimal < 5 domestic sites = 52
U = widespread >= 5 domestic sites = 40
FIDONET Col. 5 (Entities with international FIDONET links.)
f = minimal < 5 domestic sites = 20
F = widespread >= 5 domestic sites = 43
Col 6 = * = New connections expected in near future.

---- AI Anguilla
--u-- AG Antigua and Barbuda
---- AW Aruba
--u- BS Bahamas (Commonwealth of the Bahamas)
--u- BB Barbados
--u- BZ Belize
---- BM Bermuda
---- KY Cayman Islands
--u-- DM Dominica (Commonwealth of Dominica)
--u-* DO Dominican Republic
--u- GD Grenada
--u- GP Guadeloupe (French Department of Guadeloupe)
---- GY Guyana (Republic of Guyana)
---- HT Haiti (Republic of Haiti)
---- HN Honduras (Republic of Honduras)
--u- JM Jamaica
--u- MQ Martinique (French Department of Martinique)
---- MS Montserrat
---- AN Netherlands Antilles
--u- NI Nicaragua (Republic of Nicaragua)
--u- KN Saint Kitts and Nevis
--u- LC Saint Lucia
---- VC Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
--uf SR Suriname (Republic of Suriname)
--u- TT Trinidad and Tobago (Republic of Trinidad and Tobago)
---- TC Turks and Caicos Islands
-iu- VE Venezuela (Republic of Venezuela)
---- VG Virgin Islands, British
-i-- VI Virgin Islands, U.S. (Virgin Islands of the United States)
Copyright 1991 Lawrence H. Landweber and the Internet Society
Unlimited permission to copy or use is hereby granted submect to
inclusion of this copyright notice.

From: o.crepin...@imperial.ac.uk (Olivier M.J. Crepin-Leblond)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc,comp.mail.uucp,news.newusers.questions,
alt.internet.services,alt.answers,comp.answers,news.answers
Subject: FAQ: International E-mail accessibility
Date: 2 Aug 1993 00:00:19 -0400

It is helpful in finding-out if a country has easy access to
email and internet facilities and is aimed at general email and
internet users.
Last-modified: 1993/07/27

Based on International Standard ISO 3166 Names
Compiled by Olivier M.J. Crepin-Leblond
E-mail: <o...@ic.ac.uk>
Release: 93.7.4

The following table is a guide of country codes, showing the countries
in the Caribbean which have access to Internet or general E-mail services.
The country codes have been derived from the International Organization
for Standardization standard ISO 3166. A country code is taken as a top
level domain once it is registered at rs.internic.net so *not* all country
codes listed are top level domains. At the bottom of the table, there is
also a section of general top level domains, based on the information
available at rs.internic.net.

NOTES:

1. Description of codes:

- FI stands for FULL INTERNET access. This includes 'telnet', 'ftp',
and internet E-mail.
- B stands for BITNET access although the address may be in internet
DNS (Domain Name System) format.
- * (Asterisk) means that the country is reachable by E-mail. If this is
not preceded by FI or B, it means that the connection may be a UUCP
connection. An asterisk is included after FI or B for consistency.
- PFI stands for a provisional full internet connection.(+)
- P stands for provisional connection. (+)
(+) This is used when one or more of the following is true:
- address not verified or lack of address
- UUCP dialup not active
- net connection possible but not officially announced
- premature official announcement of connection

2. Networks which are not included:

Networks such as MILNET (U.S. Army) have computers all around the
world. It is generally possible to assume that wherever there is
a U.S. military base, there will be a node reachable through gateways.

Private company networks such as for DEC (Digital Equipment Corp.),
or Sun Microsystems, for example, have nodes in many exotic locations.
However the connection may take place via UUCP and cost a lot of money.
Those networks have therefore not been included. In addition, those
are PRIVATE networks.

Many companies ( like U.S. Sprint, for example ) offer commercial
services to many countries which are not readily available on
the Internet. The service is VERY COSTLY, usually takes place via
UUCP or X.400 connections. X.400 E-mail is usually charged to
someone and if the telecommunication carrier cannot find someone
to pay for the message transfer, it will reject it. As a result,
those types of network have not been included in the list.
Although a user may RECEIVE E-mail from a user on those networks, one
may not be able to reply to it.

FIDONET nodes are NOT included. While all nodes agree to forward
E-mail as a condition to be included in the tables, the high
cost of phone calls in more exotic locations prompts some
sysadmins not to want their site publicised. Many FIDO nodes
exist throughout the Middle-East and Africa.

3. Updates

The situation changes from day to day. The growth in international
networking is such that the information contained in this document
may be out of date by the time it reaches you.
If you have any update (i.e. knowledge that a new country is connected),
please send a message to <countr...@ic.ac.uk>, including an example
address from the country reached so that it can be verified.

4. Main nameservers

This is the main nameserver as listed in the rs.internic.net database.
Those often change as the network grows, and it is hard to keep track of
all nameservers, but they should usually work. Nameservers can be
queried by users using nslookup.

5. Archiving

Once released, this document is archived in a number of archive
sites around the world. Amongst them:

# rtfm.mit.edu (18.70.0.224) directory: /pub/usenet/news.answers/mail
# lth.se (130.235.20.3) directory: /pub/archive2/netnews/news.answers/mail
# ftp.uu.net (192.48.96.9) directory: /usenet/news.answers/mail
# unix.hensa.ac.uk (129.12.21.7) directory: /pub/uunet/usenet/news.answers/mail
# grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (134.214.100.25) directory: /pub/faq/mail

Via listserver request: lists...@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
with the command: get faq mail/country-codes

All FAQs are also available via list...@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be or
list...@blekul11.bitnet . For an index of all FAQs available,
put the command GET NETFAQS FILELIST in the body of your message.

The document is also retrievable by E-mail from rtfm.mit.edu by
sending an E-mail to mail-...@rtfm.mit.edu , blank subject line
and the command: send usenet/news.answers/mail/country-codes

The up-to-date, pre-release document is also available using an
experimental simple mail-server that I have setup from my account.
Send E-mail to: <o...@ic.ac.uk> with a subject: archive-server-request
and the command: get mail/country-codes in the body of your message.

ISO 3166 Codes + Top level domains.

Code Country Conn Notes main nameserver
AG Antigua and Barbuda * upr1.upr.clu.edu
AI Anguilla
AN Netherland Antilles
AW Aruba
BB Barbados * upr1.upr.clu.edu
BM Bermuda * ns.uu.net
BO Bolivia * ns.uu.net
BR Brazil FI B * fpsp.fapesp.br
BS Bahamas * upr1.upr.clu.edu
BZ Belize P upr1.upr.clu.edu
CL Chile FI B * dcc.uchile.cl
CO Colombia B * cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
CR Costa Rica FI B * ns.cr
CU Cuba * igc.org
DM Dominica P upr1.upr.clu.edu
DO Dominican Republic P upr1.upr.clu.edu
EC Ecuador FI B * ecua.net.ec
GD Grenada P upr1.upr.clu.edu
GP Guadeloupe (Fr.)
GF Guyana (Fr.)
GT Guatemala * ns.uu.net
GY Guyana
HN Honduras * ns.uu.net
HT Haiti
JM Jamaica * upr1.upr.clu.edu
KN St.Kitts Nevis Anguilla P upr1.upr.clu.edu
KY Cayman Islands
LC Saint Lucia P * upr1.upr.clu.edu
MQ Martinique (Fr.)
MS Montserrat
MX Mexico FI B * mtecv1.mty.itesm.mx
NI Nicaragua * ns.uu.net
PA Panama B *
PE Peru B * rain.psg.com
PR Puerto Rico (US) FI B * sun386-gauss.pr
PY Paraguay * ns.uu.net
SR Suriname P * upr1.upr.clu.edu
SV El Salvador
TC Turks & Caicos Islands
TT Trinidad & Tobago P upr1.upr.clu.edu
VC St.Vincent & Grenadines P upr1.upr.clu.edu
VE Venezuela FI * nisc.jvnc.net
VG Virgin Islands (British)
VI Virgin Islands (US) *

See Note [5] for the next top level domains (rs.internic.net):

ARPA Old style Arpanet * alias still works ns.nic.ddn.mil
COM Commercial FI * ns.internic.net
EDU Educational FI B * ns.internic.net
GOV Government FI * ns.internic.net
INT International field FI * used by Nato ns1.cs.ucl.ac.uk
MIL US Military FI * ns.nic.ddn.mil
NATO Nato field * soon to be deleted
NET Network FI * ns.internic.net
ORG Non-Profit OrganizationFI * ns.internic.net

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DISCLAIMER: while every effort is made to provide accurate information,
this list is not guaranteed to be accurate. This document is in NO WAY
an official document. The information given should not be used as a basis
for routing tables but only as general end-user information. This is a
voluntary effort. I would appreciate greatly if errors/omissions could
be pointed out to me and they would be corrected in the next release.
The information included in this document implies no view whatsoever
regarding questions of sovereignty or the status of any place listed.
Affiliation to Imperial College is given for identification purposes only.

--
Olivier M.J. Crepin-Leblond, Digital Comms. Section, Elec. Eng. Department
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London SW7 2BT, UK

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 92 16:10:47 PST
From: Bob Thomson <cari...@igc.org>
Subject: Re: info on PeaceNet

INSTITUTE FOR GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS
Cooperation Through Telecommunications

PeaceNet * EcoNet * ConflictNet
18 De Boom Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
+1 (415) 442-0220 voice
+1 (415) 546-1794 fax
154205417 telex
sup...@igc.org - email

What are IGC Networks?

The Institute for Global Communications (IGC) provides computer
networking tools for international communications and information
exchange.

The IGC Networks -- PeaceNet, EcoNet and ConflictNet -- comprise the
world's only computer communications system dedicated solely to
environmental preservation, peace, and human rights. New technologies
are helping these worldwide communities cooperate more effectively and
efficiently.

IGC Rates

After a one-time $15 sign-up fee, the monthly subscription is $10, which
includes one free hour of off-peak time (after 6 p.m. and on weekends)
and phone support. Domestic connect time is $5/hour for off-peak and
$10 for peak time (M-F 7 am to 6 pm). Alaska and Hawaii users are
subject to slightly higher rates. Internet connectivity is available
from many locations for $3 per hour. International connect rates vary
with each country's public data network. A growing number of countries
have direct SprintNet connections at $21 per hour. Some gateways and
storage space are extra.

How Can I Join? Fill out this coupon and send/fax it to us immediately!
Or sign up online by having your computer dial (415) 322-0284 (N-8-1) -
- have your credit card ready!. Type 'new' at the LOGIN prompt hit
<RETURN> at the PASSWORD prompt, then follow the step-by-step
instructions.

IGC, located in San Francisco, California, is a division of the Tides
Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.

By subscribing to any one of the IGC Networks, you have full access to
the resources of any of the other IGC Networks.

INTERNET CONNECTIONS You can connect to us through Internet, the
worldwide research and education network, as "telnet cdp.igc.org"
>From unix computers, type: "rlogin cdp.igc.org l <username>"

CUNet1 PROJECT

THE CARIBBEAN ACADEMIC SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNOLOGICAL NETWORK

CUNet is a project which is dedicated to the establishment of an Academic,
Scientific, Technological and Research Network for the Caribbean Region.
It was conceived of as a cooperative project among institutions of the
countries of the Region.

CUNet participants are private and governmental institutions which are
leaders not only in the development of national networks in their
respective countries, but also as supporters of international
communications for academic, scientific, technological and research
purposes.

This project is part of the Organization of American States (OAS)
initiative "Hemisphere-Wide Inter-University Scientific and Technological
Information Network"2. CUNet is represented in the SIRIAC3 initiative.

The CUNet Project contemplates the integration of the Caribbean Region
countries, regardless of political situations and cultural or linguistic
aspects. The first phase involves the following countries and
institutions: Antigua: University of Health Sciences; Barbados: University
of the West Indies; Bahamas: Chamber of Commerce and College of the
Bahamas; Belize: University of Belize; Dominica: Ministry of Education;
Grenada: Grenada National College; Jamaica: Scientific Research Council,
University of the West Indies and College of Arts, Science and Technology;
Puerto Rico: Corporation for the Academic, Scientific and Research Network
of Puerto Rico and University of Puerto Rico; Dominican Republic:
Pontificia Universidad Cat
Saint Kitts and Nevis College of Further Education; Saint Lucia: Ministry
of Planning and Ministry of Health; Suriname: University of Suriname;
Trinidad and Tobago: University of the West Indies.

The rest of the countries of the region are also being invited to
participate in this effort; the status of their participation in CUNet is
at a different stage. The present phase of the network contemplates the
interchange of electronic mail and files among the CUNet members and the
rest of the world. Protocols and lines used depend on the traffic,
telecommunications infraestructure, and other resources available in each
country.

CUNet is coordinated by the CRACIN4 and OAS with the input of the other
members.

[List of names deleted]

1 Caribbean Universities Network (CUNet)

2 Approved by the General Assembly of the OAS in June 1991

3 Integrated Informatic Resources System for Latin America and the Caribbean
(SIRIAC)

4 Corporation for the National Academic, Scientific and Research Network of
Puerto Rico (CRACIN)

Gerry George

Aug 7, 1993, 9:21:05 PM8/7/93
From: amc...@netcom.com
Subject: Posting of updated list of Caribbean Based BBS's

You can always get the latest copy of all of my
lists from my FTP archive at ftp.netcom.com in directory pub/amcgee.

These are the names of the files you want:

afrimail.msg (Black/African/Development mailing lists)
blackbbs.msg (Black/African/Development BBSs)
caribbean.bbs (Caribbean/809 area code BBS list)

My 809 list is probably older than the one you have Gerry so send me your
copy when you're ready. I downloaded mine a few months ago.

Even easier, you can just send a message to mc...@epsilon.eecs.nwu.edu and
all the relevant lists(that I compile) will be sent back to you as one file.

Remember, you can use either method to get the most up-to-date lists at any
time, no need to ask me or send me a message.

Take care.

Art

and Usenet newsgroups that focus on African, African-American,
African-Caribbean or African-Latin issues, the North American
list of Black/African run or Black/African oriented Bulletin
Board Systems(BBS) or Services and the list of Black/African or
LDC information sites are now available. Please let me know of any
updates, additions, corrections or suggestions that you might have.
*
Thank you very much. Peace.
*
The absolute latest versions of all of my lists are always available
via anonymous FTP from ftp.netcom.com in directory pub/amcgee.
*
If you only have access to email, then you can use FTPmail to do
essentially the same thing. Send a message to this address:
*
ftp...@decwrl.dec.com
*
With these specifications:
*
Subject: <blank>
Body of Message: help <carriage return> quit
*
Or to this address:
*
bit...@pucc.princeton.edu
*
With these specifications:
*
Body of Message: help
*
In either case a help file will be returned to you explaining how
to use the FTPmail facility.
*
The absolute latest versions of all the Black/African related lists
are always available by sending email to or fingering the following:
*
mc...@epsilon.eecs.nwu.edu
*
Warning: all of the lists will come back to you as one concatenated
file.
*
Remember: the above address is NOT for correspondence. If you want
anything other than a list sent back to you, use the email addresses
in my signature.
*
The absolute latest versions of two of the lists are also always
available on the BDPA BAC BBS(1-707-552-3314). The Black/African
BBS list is Bulletin #12 and file BLACKBBS.MSG. The African mailing
list is Bulletin #14 and file AFRIMAIL.MSG.
*
The list of African/LDC info sites is up to date as of JUNE 18, 1993.
*
The list of African mailing lists is up to date as of JULY 03, 1993.
*
The list of Black/African BBSs is up to date as of JULY 02, 1993.
*
The list of Black/African newsgroups is up to date as of JUNE 20, 1993.
*
*
Art "Rambo" McGee
*
*
(c)1993 Arthur R. McGee & Associates(AKA Africans Around the World). ;-)

From: nta...@cosy.uoguelph.ca
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 93 10:55:32 EST
Subject: OTHER LISTS.

This is a list of Internet/Bitnet mailing lists that I have been
able to find that deal with either African, African-American,
African-Caribbean or African-Latin issues. PLEASE let me know of
any corrections I should make or lists that I might add. Thank you.
*
Special thanks to Steve Cisler and Greg Dunkel for originally pointing
me in the right directions. :-)
*
This list is up to date as of JANUARY 29, 1993.
*
In the descriptions below, A-A stands for African-American.
*
*
AASNET-L | listserv%uhupvm1...@post-office.uh.edu |A-A Student Net
ABSLST-L | list...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu |Assn. of Black Sociologists
AFAM-L | list...@mizzou1.missouri.edu |A-A Research
AFAS-L | list...@kentvm.kent.edu |A-A Studies/Librarianship
AFRICA-L | list...@vtvm2.cc.vt.edu |African Continent Discussion
list...@brownvm.brown.edu
AFRICANA | listserv%wmvm1....@vtvm2.cc.vt.edu |Info Technology and Africa
AFROAM-L | list...@harvarda.harvard.edu |A-A Life and Culture
ALGNEWS | list...@gwuvm.gwu.edu |Algeria News List(French)
ASA-L | list...@tamvm1.tamu.edu |African Students Assn.
BLACKLIB | listserv%guvm....@vtvm2.cc.vt.edu |Conf. of Black Librarians
BRAS-NET | listserv%pccvm....@pucc.princeton.edu |Brazilian Net(Portuguese)

listserv%pccvm....@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
CARECON | list...@yorkvm1.bitnet |Caribbean Economy
CARIBBEAN | caribbean-ec...@oakland.bitnet |Caribbean Basin Economy
caribbean-ec...@vela.acs.oakland.edu
(Note: The correct and full list name is CARIBBEAN-ECONOMY)
CREAD | list...@yorkvm1.bitnet |Latin American and Caribbean Discussion
EGYPT-NET | egypt-ne...@das.harvard.edu |Egypt Discussion and News
egypt-ne...@das.harvard.bitnet
KCI-NET | kenya-ne...@ftp.com |Kenyan and East African Info Tech
ga...@ftp.com
(Note: For Kenyans and East Africans ONLY. Membership Fee: $15/yr)
(You need to be introduced by someone who is already on the list)
(The $15 fee covers membership in both KCI-NET and KENYA-NET)
KENYA-NET | kenya-ne...@ftp.com |Kenya and East Africa
ga...@ftp.com
(Note: For Kenyans and East Africans ONLY. Membership Fee: $15/yr)
(You need to be introduced by someone who is already on the list)
(The $15 fee covers membership in both KCI-NET and KENYA-NET)
RINAF-L | list...@icnucevm.cnuce.cnr.it |Regional Informatics Net for Africa

SA-DROUGH | list...@devcan.ca |Southern Africa(Region) Drought
(Note: The correct and full list name is SA-DROUGHT)
SWAHILI-L | ku...@macc.wisc.edu |Readers/Writers of Kiswahili(Swahili)
ku...@wiscmacc.bitnet
TUNISNET | list...@psuvm.psu.edu |The Tunisia Network
*
*
None of the above, but related in many ways:
*
*
ACTIV-L | list...@mizzou1.missouri.edu |Peace, Democracy, Freedom Justice
COMEDIA | list...@arizvm1.ccit.arizona.edu |Hispanic Classic Theater
DEVEL-L | list...@auvm.american.edu |Technology Transfer in Int'l Develop.
DIVERS-L | list...@psuvm.psu.edu |Diversity List
DIVERSE | list...@msu.edu |Diversity In Development
ECONOMY | list...@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx |Economies of Less Developed Nations

ESPORA-L | listserv%ukanvm...@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu |Spanish/Portuguese History

INET92WD | list...@vm.cnuce.cnr.it |INET92 Workshop for Developing Countries
list...@icnucevm.bitnet
INTERCUL | comserve%rpiecs...@vm.its.rpi.edu |Intercultural Communication
LATINO-L | latino-l...@amherst.edu |Latino Students Discussion
latino-l-request%amher...@cunyvm.bitnet
latino-l-request%amher...@mitvma.bitnet
MCLR-L | list...@msu.edu |Latinos Across the USA
MINCON | list...@ukcc.bitnet |Minority Recruitment/Retension in Teacher Ed.

MSA-L | list...@psuvm.psu.edu |Muslim Student Association
MUSLIMS | list...@asuvm.inre.asu.edu |Islamic Information News Net
list...@psuvm.psu.edu
list...@asuacad.bitnet
NATCHAT | list...@tamvm1.tamu.edu |Indigenous Peoples Discuss.
NATIVE-L | list...@tamvm1.tamu.edu |Indigenous Peoples Info
NIPRI | list...@gwuvm.gwu.edu |National Indian Policy Research Institute
PACKET-RA | packet-rad...@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil |Packet Radio
list...@ucsd.edu
(Note: The correct and full list name is PACKET-RADIO)
PCORPS-L | list...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu |Discussion for Int'l Volunteers
RURALDEV | list...@ksuvm.ksu.edu |Community/Rural Economic Development
UN | list...@indycms.iupui.edu |United Nations
UNCJIN-L | list...@uacsc2.albany.edu |UN Criminal Justice Information
list...@albnyvm1.bitnet
WORLD-L | list...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu |Non-Eurocentric World History
XCULT-X | list...@umrvmb.umr.edu |Intercultural Communication Practicum
*
*
To subscribe, send a one line message to the appropriate address
that looks like this:
*
SUBSCRIBE AFRICA-L Arthur R. McGee
*
Replace the corresponding list name and your name in the example
above.
*
To un-subscribe, send a one line message to the appropriate address
that looks like this:
*
SIGNOFF AFRICA-L
*
Replace the corresponding list name in the example above.
*
Note: Not all of the lists accept the simple SUBSCRIBE and SIGNOFF
commands, so read any information you receive back from the server
carefully when you signup. For example, EGYPT-NET requires a subject
of either EGYPT-NET-REQUEST[ADD] or EGYPT-NET-REQUEST[REMOVE] and a
message body of ">>> (LastName, FirstName) your_e-mail_address." So
for me to ADD or REMOVE myself from EGYPT-NET the message body would
look like this:
*
>>> (McGee, Arthur) 72377...@compuserve.com
*
Note: INTERCUL's COMSERVE listserver uses the commands JOIN and DROP
instead of LISTSERV's SUBSCRIBE and SIGNOFF, respectively.
*
Note: PACKET-RADIO's LISTSERV and request addresses require that you
remove your name from the end of the SUB command line. Also, you may
explicitly place the email address to add to the list between the SUB
command and the list name.
*
So, to subscribe to PACKET-RADIO, use this format as an example, using
your email address in place of mine:
*
SUB PACKET-RADIO or SUB 72377...@compuserve.com PACKET-RADIO
*
Note: If you are on Bitnet use the portion of the address just before
and just after the @ or %, whichever comes first, for those lists that
don't have an alternate address on Bitnet.
*
So, in this email address: list...@harvarda.harvard.edu
*
You would address it as: listserv@harvarda or list...@harvarda.bitnet
*
And for this address: listserv%uhupvm1...@post-office.uh.edu
*
You would address it as: listserv@uhupvm1 or list...@uhupvm1.bitnet
*
*
Art "Rambo" McGee | 72377...@compuserve.com | amc...@delphi.com

(c)1993 McGee Associates(AKA Africans Around the World). ;-)

CARIBBEAN-RELATED ORGANIZATIONS/MAGAZINES/NETWORK GROUPS/INFO SOURCES ...

Electronic Information Sources
==============================
From: p...@reggae.bellcore.com (Paul L. Mowatt)
Date: 8 Apr 92 23:30:01 GMT

hangout.rutger.edu is a Rutgers University information system. It is
accessible by anyone on the internet...
There is information on all/most of the caribbean islands.
You can try accessing this database via telnet.
telnet hangout.rutgers.edu
or
telnet 128.6.26.25
[R.B.F : To access the CIA world book info type `ref' (without the quotes)
after the Main Menu comes up, then type `wor' after the Menu Commands
come up. The system will then prompt you for a word - enter the country's
name you desire. For countries consisting of more than one word the words
must be separated by `-', not spaces e.g. for St Kitts type in `st-kitts'.
The system also has a help facility and a contents list. Type `contents'
to see the countries on which information is stored.]

A sample session is given below (contributed by Paul Mowatt):

Connected to hangout.RUTGERS.EDU.
Escape character is '^]'.
INFO: Rutgers University Pilot Campus-Wide Information System
Main Menu Commands...

Command Purpose
------- -------
Additions Updates and changes to the information in INFO
Computers Computing facilities, services and network information
Courses Undergrad, grad., special programs and class ID codes
Fac_Staff Faculty/Staff services, meetings, procedures
Help <<What is INFO, how to use it, how to send suggestions>>
Library Library Information
Newark Newark College Info
News_Weather Rutgers Police Info., local, world news and weather
Phonebook Phone directories at Rutgers (fac/staff, students, etc.)
Reference Online dictionary and other reference material.
Schedules Scheduled events, transportation, building hours
Students Student services, announcements, programs, housing
For other info, call the Student Info. and Assistance Center at 932-9090.

Find Search for information
Source Age and provider of information. Where to go for more.
Quit Exit from information system

INFO: Rutgers University Pilot Campus-Wide Information System
Main Menu> ref
Online reference material
Menu Commands...

Command Purpose
------- -------
Dictionary Concise Oxford Dictionary, 8th Ed.
Thesaurus Oxford Thesaurus
Familiar Oxford Dictionary of Familiar Quotations (and Modern Q.)
World CIA World Factbook

Previous Return to previous menu
Find Search for information
Source Age and provider of information. Where to go for more.
Quit Go back to main menu

Online reference material
Menu> wor
Word (? for help): jamaica

...INFO STARTS HERE...

Magazines/Journals etc.
========================
From: ka...@solbourne.com (Kamal Maheshwari)
Subject: New and interesting Music-Letter available, NOW!
Date: 30 Jan 92 18:25:10 GMT

T A L K I N G -- D R U M
A friend of mine has recently started a Music-letter which covers
various types of music (Reggae, Afro, soca and zouk) in detail,
including the international tours by some of the popular groups
from around the globe, recent releases of their work etc. It also
plans to incorporate a lot of 'local happenings' for couple of
interesting towns initially, Portland, OR and Boulder, CO but may
expand on how the response from the people in these towns is.
Now even YOU can have access to this music-letter by subscribing to
it. We'll send you a free copy if you request at either of the addresses
below.
For subscription, please send $12 (money order or checks only at this time)
to:

Access Global Co
PO Box 6834
Beaverton, OR 97007
or
Kamal Maheshwari
Talking Drum Subscriptions
2995 Eagle Way #24
Boulder, CO 80301

Newsgroups: soc.culture.caribbean
Subject: Read This To Further Afrikan Liberation From Oppression
Date: 9 Apr 92 21:10:06 GMT
Sender: ne...@adx.adelphi.edu (USENET News System)

I am the chairman of a wonderful and revolutionary new group, the
Afrikan Concerns Association. Presently, we are attempting to give birth to a
newspaper with a vision, Afrika Unbound!. This paper is designed to bridge the
Black student populations of Africa, America and the Caribbean. Any written
contributions you can make are welcome. Also welcome is any help you can give
in expanding the numbers of organizations (caribbean clubs, etc.) that we
connect with. Please give out my address to anyone who seeks to further the
cause of liberation and empowerment for the African Diaspora, as we are
utilizing all means of mass communications to reach the people. I look forward
to hearing from you all. Do not hesitate to write.
Peace and Power!
Richard Dennison, Adelphi University, Long Island, NY 11530

Caribbean Organizations
=======================

Students of the Caribbean (Duke University)
>From John Sammerson:
Anyway there is a caribbean organization at Duke University,
Students Of the CAribbean (SOCA) and we are likewise trying to
muster up a network; concentrating within the South-East US region.
So far we have managed to attain contacts at Howard and UVa.
I guess I can be the net-liason, but you can also contact me
at home or contact Valdar at Duke.

Home: (919) 489-0941
Valdar Serrant: (919) 684-5643

Likewise, to reiterate, any caribbean organizations/reps please
contact Valdar or myself...
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
* Computer Arch & Telecommunications * jasa...@eos.ncsu.edu *
* Dept. of Elect & Comp Engineering * or j...@duke.cs.duke.edu *
* North Carolina State University * Phone: (919) 489-0941 *
*--------------------------------------------------------------*

----

Haitian Studies Association
----------------------------
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 92 16:58:43 EST
From: Michel S. Perdreau <mper...@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu>
Haitian Studies Association P.O. Box 1451 West Somerville, MA 02144
contact: Alix Cantave (617) 323-6365 or Karen Richman (804) 296-9453

HSA will hold their 4th Annual Conference, Oct. 16-17, 1992
Tufts University, Medford, MA - Richardson Conference Center
Theme:" Haiti in the Global Context"
(BTW not listed in the Encyclopedia of Associations)
----

The Caribbean Association of Professionals and Scholars
About CAPS: The Caribbean Association of Professionals and Scholars (CAPS)
is a non-profit organization founded in 1987 and officially registered in
the District of Columbia to meet the needs of all professionals and
scholars especially those affiliated with the Caribbean

Goals & Objectives
1. To encourage scholarly papers with a view to publishing.
2. To provide a forum that is intellectually stimulating for its members.
3. To promote a harmonious Caribbean-American realtionship among scholars
and professionals.
4. To contribute to the improvement of society at large.

Membership Benefits
1. Oppurtunities to present professional and scholarly papers.
2. Oppurtunities to publish in NEW HORIZONS, the CAPS Journal.
3. CAPS Conference attendance at reduced rates.
4. Participation in inter-cultural projects.
5. Recognition of professions and businesses.
6. Visit the Caribbean in groups at reduced rates (I can see some eyes lighting
up here!)
7. National affiliation with CAPS.

Membership is open to all professionals and scholars (i.e. regardless of
nationality etc.). The membership year is January 1 through Dec 31. New
members receive official certificates of membership followed with annual
identification cards. Applications for membership should be accompanied by an
annual fee of US$30 (full-time students and retired > 65 send $20)
(personal check or money order) made payable to CAPS and sent to:
The Treasurer, Valerie Andrews, D.D.S., CAPS Headquarters, 617 Kennedy St.
N.W., #202, Washington DC 20011. Tel.: (202)726-4233.

From: ric...@auvax1.adelphi.edu
Newsgroups: soc.culture.caribbean
Subject: AFRIKA UNBOUND!
Date: 26 Jun 92 22:02:43 GMT

Afrikan Concerns Association
Richard L. Dennison, Chairman

Perspectives and the ACA

Who has ever looked for the perfect gift and not have gone to more than
one store? Who has ever sought knowledge and not have read more than one book?
It makes sense that to do some things properly and fairly requires a
perspective that allows one to view as many sides or options as possible, so
that the judgements made are wise. In this United States of America, there are
too many persons who make judgements withought 'reading more than one book',
and this can create problems when these persons end up ruling the country or
controlling the educational system. Sometimes, people intentionally decide to
maintain a one sided view. "I don't want to see this" or "Can we talk about
something else please" are some of the things they say - you probably know this
kind of person. Beginning with this article, we of the Afrikan Concerns
Association would like to make you aware of a certain mind set that all should
possess in this multi-cultural nation. It is a relatively unbiased view, which
by the nature of those who will be writing will reflect the viewpoint of
African-American and Latino peoples who make up the better part of the
so-called minority groups in the USA. We ask all students of any ethnic
background - African, European, Asian, Latino, Arabic, etc - to submit whatever
(political or social) poetry, commentary, response or short essay they can
create. Hopefully, by becoming aware of how others think, the walls of
bigotry, racism and hatred will be plowed down by love, compassion and respect
. A channel for communication between the races can be orchestrated through
this new approach, and perhaps clear up some of the mis-education and
misunderstanding that blights the Nation. Please send all submitted articles
to the address above. Selah.

Written by Richard Dennison,
President, Caribbean Cultural Awareness Club Adelphi University, N.Y.
Chairman, Afrikan Concerns Association
Director and Editor in Cheif, Afrika Unbound

The Constitution of
The Afrikan Concerns Association Newspaper
'Afrika Unbound '

Preamble

To resurrect the African spirit within the African Diaspora, and to
serve as a vehicle of information to University level students, we hereby
incorporate Afrika Unbound, the official newspaper of the Afrikan Concerns
Association.

Article I
Objectives and Purposes

Section 1

The name of this newspaper shall be Afrika Unbound .

Section 2

The purpose and aims of Afrika Unbound is to unite and enlighten all
students of the African Diaspora; to educate University communities on the
various African based cultures; to eliminate cultural prejudice and ignorance;
to provide a cultural cushion for incoming students; to provide information
relative to African based lifestyles; to present students of the African
Diaspora a means of expressing their various cultural identities and ideas; to
bring forth forums and issues concerning topics relevant to the African
Diaspora in the community.

Article II
Membership
Section 1

Any person regularly enrolled as a student at any University who agrees
to comply with the principles and policies of the newspaper may become a member
of the said organization with the consent of the newspaper's Board of
Directors. Members deemed worthy can be made Directors upon a two thirds vote
by the Executive Committee plus a unanimous vote by the existing Board of
Directors.

Article IV
Committees

Section 3

The standing committees of Afrika Unbound shall be: Advertisements and Funding,
Artwork & Cartoons, Distribution, Entertainment, Fact & Statistic Research,
Fashion, Film & Literary Critique, Health and Nutrition,
Historical Research (Diaspora) - (America,Caribbean, Latin America, Africa,
Europe), Languages Translators: Spanish/French/African,
Poetry & Essays, Politics & Government, Science & Technology, Sports,
Universities Liaison - American, Universities Liaison - International.

* Advertisements & Funding

To seek out opportunities for advertising the existence and
availability of Afrika Unbound. To seek out politically correct companies and
individuals, as decided by the Board of Directors, for proposals to place
advertisements in Afrika Unbound. To create and maintain a mailing list of
advertisers. To create and pursue programs for generating revenue for Afrika
Unbound.

* Artwork & Cartoons

To create diagrams, pictures, illustrations, drawings, designs and
cartoons for Afrika Unbound.

* Distribution.

To oversee the prompt and accurate fulfillment of subscriptions for
Afrika Unbound. To widen the distribution range of Afrika Unbound. To
maintain a subscription list for Afrika Unbound.

* Entertainment.

To investigate and report upon events and persons within the
entertainment world, relative to the African Diaspora, for Afrika Unbound.

* Fact & Statistic Research

To collect and maintain a reserve of factual and statistical
information on relevant topics for Afrika Unbound.

* Fashion

To gather facts about and report on the fashion world relative to the
African Diaspora for Afrika Unbound.

* Film & Literary Critique

To review and critique films, magazines and books relative to the
African Diaspora for Afrika Unbound.

* Health and Nutrition

To maintain a library of references to information on health and
nutrition. To maintain a library of references to information on recipes
within the African Diaspora.

* Historical Research (Diaspora: USA,Caribbean, Latin America, Africa, Europe)

To have general knowledge of historical details relative to the African
Diaspora. To maintain a library of references for quick access to the
aforementioned information.

* Languages Translators: Spanish/French/African

To allow for communication with speakers of languages other than
English within the African Diaspora.

* Poetry & Essays

To create, collect and request poems and short stories. To create
award contests for written art.

* Politics & Government

To maintain a library of references to present day political issues
affecting the African Diaspora. To monitor and document political
ramifications of specific immediate issues.

* Science & Technology

To monitor and report on events within the world of Science and
Technology relative to the African Diaspora. To maintain A library of
references to historical facts in Science & Technology.

* Sports

To monitor and report on events within the world of sports relative to
the African Diaspora. To maintain A library of references to historical facts
in sports.

* Universities Liaison - American

To secure and maintain contacts with Universities existing within the
continental United States for Afrika Unbound.

* Universities Liaison - International

To secure and maintain contacts with Universities existing outside of
the continental United States for Afrika Unbound. To maintain a library of
collaborations, verifications and proofs for obtained material.

Note: You can be a liason for your university and help to unify our peoples.
Please send your ideas, comments, poetry, anything you wish to have printed,
and link us with the motivated students at your campus so that we can direct
our collective power to clearly defined purposes.
Peace and Power!

Richard L. Dennison -\--/- Internet: ric...@auvax1.adelphi.edu
President, Caribbean Club | \/ | Fone:(516)352-1926 Fax:(516)877-3296
Chairman, Afrikan Concerns Assn | /\ | Caribbean Cultural Awareness Club
Editor In Cheif, AFRIKA UNBOUND! -/--\- Garden City, New York 11530