Another Ali another Champion

Mohammad Bari

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

[Dhaka Courier, Jan 17, 1998]
http://www.piwebworks.com/DhakaCourier

Another Ali another Champion

On 4 January Ali "Lion-Heart" Jacko successfully defended his World
Kickboxing title against Greek Cypriot challenger Savvas Iioannou
"The Beast" at The prestigious York Hall, Bethnal Green, London.
Acting Bangladesh High Commissioner "Mr Mounshi Faiz" and thousands
of fans from across England and Europe watched the title fight. On
Ali's last fight when he won the World Championship his best friend
Salman Khan, the Mumbai film super star came all the way from India
to congratulate him on his victory.

Speaking before the fight, Ali's manager and trainer Eddie Dujon who
took Ali through his British, European and World Championship fights
said, Ali is in tremendous shape and always gives 100 per cent.

"This is Ali's biggest test to date, but with Ali in his mood I predict
that Ali will stop his opponent in the 5th round."

The "Beast" Savvas Ioannou failed to live up to his billing and Ali was
on top form to knock out Savvas Iaonnou in the second round.

The fight was his first physical defense, because his previous opponent
failed to pass his medical test before the fight for high blood
pressure and was withdrawn. It is hard to see how anyone facing Ali
could maintain low blood pressure and a normal pulse, said on Ali fan.

Speaking to reporters before the fight, Ali explained "the adrenaline
rush from fighting was one of the main spurs that kept people interested
in what looks to be a very violent sport indeed. The hype and the way
the crowd responds is unbelievable"

The crowd went mad at Ali Jacko as he entered the ring carrying the
Bangladeshi, Indian and Pakistani flags with a display of Dancers and
ring girls.

He was asked by a reporter to explain why he carried Indian and Pakistani
Flags while being a Bangladeshi?

Ali answered, " I carry the Bangladeshi flag just to let everyone know
who I am, where I come from and where I belong. It is a very small
country, you can hardly see it on the map of the world but it still does
not stop me to be a World champion. I carry the Indian and Pakistani flag
because in London we live together as one family and every one supports
me irrespective of whether he or she is Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Gujrati,
Marathi, Tamil, English, Africans, Jamaican or Chinese. This is because I
am the first Asian to win the World Championship. I just want to let the
world know we might be small in size but we are not weak in strength".
This time he made such impact in England, that Mercedes BMW Car showroom
sponsored him and gave Ali Jacko a brand new BMW worth over $40,000 and a
Private number plate (K, Boxer) which alone is worth $7,500.

Ali said, "If my country would give me a bicycle I would have been more
happy then having a car. My dream is to go to Bangladesh and fight in
some big stadium. I want to train fighters in Bangladesh and bring them
to London, America and Europe to fight, compete and make my country proud
because I will not be around forever," said Ali with determination.

Ali also expressed that he was very happy and proud to have Munshi Faiz
the acting High Commissioner of Bangladesh to come to his fight and hand
him World Title Belt in front of world television and media.