SObjectizer-5.6.0 and so5extra-1.3.0

Yauheni Akhotnikau

May 22, 2019, 5:12:55 AM5/22/19
to SObjectizer

New versions of SObjectizer and its companion project, so5extra, are available now.

The SObjectizer-5.5 branch has been in the development since 2014. We supported compatibility between versions in 5.5-branch on a very high level. In most cases, a simple recompilation was necessary during switching from an old SObjectizer-5.5 version to a new one.

In more than four years of evolution, 5.5-branch incorporated a lot of new features, most of those were not planned from the beginning. That has a negative impact on SObjectizer's code complexity and the price of further development. We also were oriented on compilers with limited support of C++11, but it isn't actual anymore.

Because of that we decided to turn the next page in SObjectizer history and started a new 5.6-branch in that:

  • we broke the compatibility with SObjectizer-5.5. Version 5.6.0 has several breaking changes and that means that the modification of source code will be necessary during the switch from SObjectizer-5.5 to SObjectizer-5.6. In some cases redesigning of a solution can be necessary due to the removal of some features in 5.6-branch;

  • a lot of deprecated things were completely removed;

  • some things which had design flaws or their usage lead to some problems were removed or seriously refactored. For example, synchronous interaction between agents is not more supported by SObjectizer core (an analog was implemented in so5extra). Cooperations with agents do not have string names now. And so on...

  • C++17 is used. We think there is no sense to look back at C++11. We hope that 5.6-branch will evolve for several years, and it is better to start this branch on C++17. But if someone wants to run SObjectizer-5.6 on C++14 then we can discuss that;

  • the development of SObjectizer and so5extra is moved from SourceForge to BitBucket. Now there are the official mirrors on GitHub, not experimental ones.

SObjectizer-5.6.0 is the first stable version from 5.6-branch. The list of changes in that version can be found here. Source codes of v.5.6.0 are in the main repo on BitBucket. They are also in the mirror on GitHub. Tarballs with v.5.6.0 can be obtained from BitBucket or SourceForge.

Documentation for SObjectizer 5.6.0 can be found in Wiki on BitBucket.

so5extra-1.3.0 is the first stable version of so5extra adopted for SObjectizer-5.6. The list of changes in so5extra-1.3.0 can be found here. Source codes of v.1.3.0 are in the main repo on BitBucket. They are also in the mirror on GitHub. Tarballs with so5extra-1.3.0 can be obtained from BitBucket or SourceForge.

Documentation for so5extra-1.3.0 can be found in Wiki on BitBucket.