Re: [BBQ] OT cornbread NOW wings on TBE?

Phil

Sep 11, 2014, 9:53:46 AM9/11/14
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jeff, or anyone, how are you cooking wings on TBE?
Thanks,
Phil in FFB

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014, <jqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
Just happened to be sitting in my email when yours came through.  Was the corn dry
or was it creamed? I'm guessing with the added corn at the higher temp, it didn't have
enough liquid in it.  If I'm following a basic recipe with nothing added, I'm right at 375.
If adding more volume to recipe, like sour cream, creamed corn , cheese, jalapenos, I make
sure to add a little more liquid ingredients and go the higher temp.

Hey, have you enjoyed any recipe breakthroughs on "The Big Easy" this summer?
I still enjoy my wings and baked potatoes on it.

Jeff

Sep 11, 2014, 10:06:56 AM9/11/14
to smokeringbbq
Morning Phil!

I invested in 5 or 6 of the little half racks, plus the hanging basket you get.  I've gotten as many as 52 wings in there.
I have brined and done them naked, I've done them dry rubbed, and also marinaded numerous times.  If you have
the little half racks, you can stagger them on the basket to get better airflow. Hope this helps!

jeff

Sep 11, 2014, 10:39:39 AM9/11/14
to smokeringbbq
NO, don't say it's the end of summer already!!  :)

Sep 11, 2014, 10:55:18 AM9/11/14
to smokeringbbq
Really, NO bugs?  I'm definately there!  Can I bring them with me from Minnesota?

Sep 11, 2014, 11:25:21 AM9/11/14
to smokeringbbq
It may not be the end of summer but it was 34 degrees this AM (4 for those Canadians south here).  It's supposed to be colder tonight.  They had to close the Beartooth Pass  yesterday because of snow.  Of course it'll be over 80 sometime next week so we're doing what we  can to keep the tomatoes and melons alive for a bit longer.

Smoking a turkey and a couple of pork butts this weekend.  My wife is heading out of town for a week and this'll give me something to gnaw on 'til she returns.

Sherm
Smoking in Montana's Banana Belt

Robert King

Sep 11, 2014, 6:32:44 PM9/11/14
to The Smoke Ring
Summer needs to go! 95 right now and supposed to be hotter in the next few days. I'm going camping and hopefully it will be at least 10 degrees cooler. I would gladly take that now.

Robert King

Lucy Baker

Sep 11, 2014, 7:37:21 PM9/11/14
to bbq bbq
Robert, about where are you headed?
Lucy

On Sep 11, 2014, at 3:32 PM, Robert King <rob...@schmittysbbq.com> wrote:

> Summer needs to go! 95 right now and supposed to be hotter in the next few days. I'm going camping and hopefully it will be at least 10 degrees cooler. I would gladly take that now.
>
> Robert King
>
> On Sep 11, 2014, at 8:25 AM, Sherman Watkins <tankw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It may not be the end of summer but it was 34 degrees this AM (4 for those Canadians south here). It's supposed to be colder tonight. They had to close the Beartooth Pass yesterday because of snow. Of course it'll be over 80 sometime next week so we're doing what we can to keep the tomatoes and melons alive for a bit longer.
>>
>> Smoking a turkey and a couple of pork butts this weekend. My wife is heading out of town for a week and this'll give me something to gnaw on 'til she returns.
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM, ParkAQ Nick <ni...@parkaq.com> wrote:
>> No bugs here either but a tinge of Yosemite Smoke. Still hot and dry.....
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> Park it! Grill it! Eat it!
>>

>> jqu...@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> Really, NO bugs? I'm definately there! Can I bring them with me from Minnesota?

Phil

Sep 11, 2014, 9:12:03 PM9/11/14
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, thanks.
 I've always approached cooking in TBE like cooking in a circular oven. Once I stacked chix thighs around a turkey throne secured with flexible wire stainless skewers discussed here a few years ago.  Quite the contraption, but it worked!

 I fashioned a couple of racks  from random stuff I had that would hook into and over the  the horizontal ribs of the basket. With a couple more I could use the same "stacking" technique I think you're describing and arrange the wings accordingly.

Thanks for your reply.
Phil in FFB, Arkansas
 Where cooler weather is arriving in the lower Ozarks. Low in the 50's finally. Highs lower 70s.

jqu...@comcast.net

Sep 12, 2014, 8:48:38 AM9/12/14
to smokeringbbq
No problem Phil.  I just love that little thing, wish it was bigger.  It's
actually one of my best investments. $30 used off of craigslist.  The guy
had NO clue how to use it.  He said he tried it twice, screwed something
up and then  put it up for sale.   His loss!

Up near Santa Barbara Cachuma Lake. Not the best campground but we had a relaxing time when we went there before. There are no bears there so that is why the wife likes it <G>. Hopefully will be heading to a nice brewery too there. Figueroa Mountain.

Robert King

Lucy Baker

Sep 12, 2014, 10:37:05 AM9/12/14
to bbq bbq
Thanks, I’ve never heard of that place. I’ll check out my map. Have fun.
Lucy

On Sep 12, 2014, at 5:48 AM, jqu...@comcast.net wrote:

> No problem Phil. I just love that little thing, wish it was bigger. It's
> actually one of my best investments. $30 used off of craigslist. The guy
> had NO clue how to use it. He said he tried it twice, screwed something
> up and then put it up for sale. His loss!

Paul Reddick

Sep 12, 2014, 4:25:28 PM9/12/14
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
hi phil, we cook ours (with corn) at 425, i think it's 18 minutes

Paul
Please Note My New Email Address:
Web:  Smokingpigbbq.net
Facebook:  Smoking Pig BBQ Fremont
                 Smoking Pig BBQ San Jose
                 Paul Reddick (Friends and Family)

jqu...@comcast.net

Sep 12, 2014, 5:55:19 PM9/12/14
to smokeringbbq
What NO jalapenos or cheese?  That's just sacrileges Yell