Too many stories?

Jerry Ash

Jul 24, 2009, 12:36:39 AM7/24/09
to smart-pe...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone.

I've finally tamed the monster and we have the magazine development,
layout and production running smoothly enough that as of today we are
running two weeks ahead of schedule! That's wonderful because I'm now
able to spend more time networking and direct marketing.

I have several matters I need to consult with you about, but I'll
start tonight by asking for your thoughts on the quantity of stories
I'm including in each issue. I've been thinking a lot (but not acting)
on advice I received from Jack Ring quite some time ago which
suggested there were too many stories in each issue. The view being
that no one was going to read it all.

Of course, I'm a journalist steeped in old media and so the standards
I follow are based on print publications. A 40 page magazine (+covers)
would be about right for a magazine sans advertising if it were a
print publication. Advertising pages would increase the number of
pages, but the content would remain about the same.

With a physical publication, readers have never been expected to read
everything. They flip through the pages, read a bit of this and that,
get caught up in something they find exceptionally interesting and
either read it all right then or make a mental note to return to it
later. So, the magazine lays around and hopefully the cover is strong
enough to keep crying out -- "Read me".

Online publication is a whole new animal, and old timers like me tend
to want to simply transfer print to pixels but keep format and content
pretty much the same. That's why I prefer the PDF version of Smart
People to the html version and continue to hunt for an online Reader
format that will be seen in the same format as the PDF but read
online. The publishing program I want would allow you to flip through
the pages onscreen and zoom into a specific story you want to read --
just like you do in your easy chair. It's the latter feature I've not
found satisfactory in everything I've seen so far.

Well, I digress. The question is, am I giving the readers too much?

Exclusive of the covers, the August issue I've just completed contains
32 articles in 37 pages. The first three pages contain the table of
contents and the masthead page. The articles range from 2 magazine
pages to less than 1/3 page. I suppose that's a lot if you're reading
the magazine on line; about right if it's a print magazine on the
coffee table.

I could reduce the magazine to 30 pages (plus covers) which would be
27 feature pages. In my hands that would be a pretty thin publication,
but online I suppose it would still seem big.

Well, I need your help in deciding. I need lots of opinions,
especially from those of you who are more savvy consumers of online
publications than I am.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

P.S. I am sending this same appeal to our Editorial Board for
feedback. I'll let you know what I hear.

Ski...@aol.com

Jul 24, 2009, 8:30:04 AM7/24/09
to smart-pe...@googlegroups.com
Jerry,

We are arriving 'where we always do'...   rediscovering that people today are not 'readers'.  They would rather have pictures and video of something...

With all of the 'noise' on the 'net and everywhere else, let alone people's daily tasks...    we live in a very challenging environment...    It feels like people want 'instant' coffee more than ever...   They want to 'wave the Potter wand' and 'magic happens'.   Sorry...   but the homework still eventually needs to be done, no matter how digital we get, how 'telepathic' we get, or how 'techno-arrogant' we all get.

Just things to think about...

I wish y'all a Good Day!   Gotta go do some 'homework'.
Skip

amacgillivray

Jul 25, 2009, 3:34:31 PM7/25/09
to Smart People Reps
Hi Jerry. Good question. And I am not sure it is best answered
internally.

From a personal perspective, I find there is a lot of content given
all the things I try to do and keep up with.

From a brainstorming perspective:

I wonder what subscribers think? I have a Survey Monkey license if we
wanted to send them a quick and easy survey to explore this.

I also wonder what kind of feedback we'd get if we gave a very brief
blurb about the intent of the mag and asked the question through all
of our social networks. Non subscribers could follow a link to a pdf
of the first issue if they took the time to respond.

Alice (back from Australia)

On Jul 23, 9:36 pm, Jerry Ash <smart.g...@smartpeoplemagazine.com>
wrote:
> Hi everyone.
... I'll

Rhino-neill

Aug 2, 2009, 7:03:09 PM8/2/09
to Smart People Reps
Hi Everyone,
Apologies for lack of interaction, been somewhat tied up. With
regards to the length/content I do think that 30 pages is about
right. With regards to content I agree with Skip, we talk about the
digital natives, so I think that we need to attract them by making it
a digital media magazine. I think that I sent this link sometime ago,
when we talked about magazine formats previously. When I get
Knowledge Pad running properly, this is the format that I will use;
http://issue.imotormag.co.uk/car-news-car-reviews-cool-car-videos-fun-stuff/1Q4a5220f44c4da012.cde,
I am also experimenting with some software called Mindjet Mindmanager
8 which allows you to produce a PDF Document, build in links and video
media and basically make Interactive PDF's.

Keep you informed.

Alan
> > that no one was going to read it all.- Hide quoted text -

Jerry Ash

Aug 2, 2009, 11:17:08 PM8/2/09
to smart-pe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan.

Well, the few who have responded seem to favor less pages and so I'm
going to have 30 pages plus cover in the September issue.

Now, let's talk story length. I haven't talked with Michele about this
yet, but I'm thinking we might think about abandoning the "traditional
magazine layout" (we're not printing anyway) and reduce stories to a
few paragraphs per page ... as in those pages in the motorcar issue
you have shared. Then the flip page version I want (and I love this
one you've sent) works better because people can read it online.

I'm anticipating some major push back from Michele (maybe even Boris),
but I don't mind being the oldest among you who's most open to change.
I'm thinking we talk like new media, but then we present the same-o/
same-o to the several thousand who have visited us for a look see.
It's work a group think, don't you think?

Jerry

Boris Jaeger

Aug 13, 2009, 4:27:43 AM8/13/09
to smart-pe...@googlegroups.com
> Well, the few who have responded seem to favor less pages and so I'm
> going to have 30 pages plus cover in the September issue.

The few who responed to what, Alice's survey? I thought it was a draft only!?

" I will wait for word ... for any final edits." (see Alice's email - Re: Smart People Mag survey, 08/28/2009)

I think

> Now, let's talk story length. I haven't talked with Michele about this
> yet, but I'm thinking we might think about abandoning the "traditional
> magazine layout" (we're not printing anyway) and reduce stories to a
> few paragraphs per page ... as in those pages in the motorcar issue
> you have shared. Then the flip page version I want (and I love this
> one you've sent) works better because people can read it online.
> I'm anticipating some major push back from Michele (maybe even Boris),
> but I don't mind being the oldest among you who's most open to change.
> I'm thinking we talk like new media, but then we present the same-o/
> same-o to the several thousand who have visited us for a look see.
> It's work a group think, don't you think?

Please don't! Don't let the magazine become newsletter like. The flip reader version should be a complement only. It is on the agenda but because of the cost and workload factor not implemented yet.

As you can see from the motor car magazine's homepage it is a blog, too. The flip version is only a fancy supplement to the blog version. There are several reasons to keep the blog format as major format for Smart People magazine. The search engine spiders will find text in a blog but not text in a flip reader version (SEO = search engine optimization) ... And, don't tell me that you can find any Smart People magazine articles when you search the web. Still, there is a lot to do to get awareness on the web. Not only SEO but online marketing in general as I proposed several times to the group (e.g. use feedmail to get Smart People website content to your twitter account; send your twitter content to your facebook account, promote Smart People magazine content to the various groups on the social networks and other interested groups and organisations, ...)

On the other side I don't understand why you want a flip reader version. I guess the flip style PDF version is sufficient. You can flip it online (like the motor magazine) and you could link the articles' titles from the table of contents to the articles (Michele may know how this works). Now you can even flip through the HTML/blog version of the magazine like in a traditional magazine as I adjusted the navigation because of your justified complaint, Jerry.

The reason why to have the PDF version is that the subscribers can download it to read it later offline. Therefore I think the number of pages isn't relevant to discuss. It is rather necessary to discuss the length and maybe the number of articles.

As for the length I wouldn't compare it to the motor car magazine as content and readership it is totally different from Smart People magazine. The content is mainly product reviews and promotionals. The readership are people who want to get product information and news about cars. Smart People magazine content and readership is ... As Smart People magazine content is not mainly reviews and news it might be not sufficient to have short articles only. I guess the Smart People readership (Digital sensitive knowledge workers, not only digital natives but also the digital catching ups/immigrants, Alan!) can and want to cope with one or two pagers. The most popular articles are the log ones!!!

Alan, I'm in contact with a group of the so called digital natives. All of them have/read blogs and the even prefer to read offline (magazines and books). The majority of their blog posts are not short ones, quite the opposite. They like fancy stuff but on the other side they value valuable content, independent of it's length ...

Boris