Re: Free articles in the August issue

Jerry Ash

Aug 14, 2009, 6:57:06 AM8/14/09
to Boris Jaeger, SP Reps
Hi Boris!

Please forgive me for my slow communication lately. I'll catch up on
this one.

No, I capitulate! With the reduction to 30 pages plus covers, the
ratio between free and lock goes way up. I'll just leave it to you to
decide which (or how many) articles are to be free. The one exception
has to be Joanna Goodman's articles which she keeps asking to make
free since she is writing them free. In the September issue her's is
the lead cover story.

I've been reading the manifesto and I like it very much. However, it
came at a point where I had already wrapped up the September lineup.
I'll have to hold it for October. However, that's a little
problematic since I will have another three-page story in October --
the final installment of Dave Pollard's "Saving the Company". Of
course, I am trying to avoid three pagers as often as possible. So,
would it be okay to hold "Manifest" until the November issue? If not,
no problem.

----

Speaking of the reduction in pages. Now that I'm seeing it, I'm
feeling pretty good about it. Since I'm keeping most stories to one
page or under, there is plenty of content at 30 pages -- wayyyyy more
than Inside Knowledge is providing these days in the same number of
pages! If we were producing a print version, I would not like the
"feel" of it in my hands, but as a PDF or html I'm okay with it.
However, let's see what the thoughts are when our 30-pager "hits the
stands".

-----

I think you have lots of good ideas of how to make the content more
reader friendly. I like the blog posting idea very much. And, I see
I'm missing some of the connectivity you've already built in -- such
as the RSS feed. Apparently I've not opted in!

You mention marketing again. I am still a failure as a marketing guy.
I'm just not aggressive enough and I'm easily discouraged. It is due
both to my nature and (frankly) a problem I've had with depression for
many years. The depression is controlled somewhat by medication, but
stress sometimes is debilitating to the point where I can't creatively
function. To manage the problem on the editorial side, I work ahead of
schedule when I'm up in order not to get behind when I'm down. But
with marketing (even if I had the talent) you've got to be on all the
time ... and bad news comes when it comes.

But, no one is more aware than me that the lack of effective marketing
will be our downfall. I keep thinking what I (we) should be doing is
aggressively recruiting a marketer who will work on a contingency fee.
I've tried that a few times with no success.

-----

P.S. I haven't even been aggressive enough to find the $1,000 we need
to support you in developing a plan!!!!!

-----

Hey! It's almost 7 a.m. here and I have to go get ready for tennis.
I'll get back to this 'catch up' later this morning. Right now I'm
looking at your detailed email you sent regarding my observations
regarding the Motor Car magazine example. I need to give that some
serious time!

Later.

Jerry