GPL release of Trex

Dave Winer

Oct 11, 2013, 1:06:29 PM10/11/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what if anything people are going to be able to do with this...

But I wanted to be sure you all were aware of it.

It's quite possible that a lightly-loaded Trex server could operate for an indefinite period.

I did some investigation into the problems, and it seems it was that there were a lot more named outlines in the last month. It's the kind of problem you love to have in normal situations, where you're prepared to add more servers. But we were not. ;-(

Dave

Andrew Shell

Oct 11, 2013, 1:53:06 PM10/11/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com, smallpic...@googlegroups.com
These are the steps I took to build Trex.

Setup new 1GB VPS with Ubuntu 13.04 x64

Point a domain name at it as well as a wildcard subdomain.
In my testing I used the domain "compoundhappiness.com"

Login as root
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install vim zip build-essential automake autoconf git-core subversion libssl-dev libtool
reboot
cd /var
git clone g...@github.com:scripting/trex.git
cd trex
git submodule init
git submodule update
./build.sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/var/trex/deps/usr/lib

cd build
make install

trex http://static.smallpicture.com/tacoma/wo/admin/2013/05/03/archive017.opml

http://andrewshell.compoundhappiness.com:8080/

Notes:

Originally tried installing on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 however got the error:
configure.ac:4: error: Autoconf version 2.69 or higher is required

Bill Soistmann

Oct 12, 2013, 1:23:53 PM10/12/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com, smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this Andrew.

I tried on an older version of Ubuntu and saw

make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

after typing make build from /var/trex/build

I launched another box with 13.04 and got the same thing.

I didn't notice any other problems with anything along the way and the only thing I did differently was pull my fork from Github.

Andrew Shell

Oct 12, 2013, 1:37:42 PM10/12/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com, smallpic...@googlegroups.com, smallpic...@googlegroups.com
You don't need to make build. Running ./build.sh builds it. Just make install

Bill Soistmann

Oct 12, 2013, 1:43:10 PM10/12/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
that was a typo

I DID type make install ( as you can probably tell from the error I get )

BTW, I noticed after submitting my question that there is a smallpicture-trex list. Should I just launch an instance from that AMI and start there?

Andrew Shell

Oct 12, 2013, 2:02:02 PM10/12/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com, smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Not sure about the AMI. I have never tried it before.

I don't have a solution for your issue with make install. I'm on my phone so sorry about missing the typo.

When I get home later today I'll try going through the instructions again. Maybe I missed a step.

Cheers,
Andrew

Bill Soistmann

Oct 12, 2013, 2:08:01 PM10/12/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
perfect, thanks

not like I haven't done this kind of thing before, but I thought I'd just check to see if there is a missing step

i am going to launch that AMI and see if that gets me any further

dodyg

Oct 19, 2013, 6:41:20 AM10/19/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
My C++ fu is pretty limited but this is what I can discern from the source code
  • It uses LevelDB for storage (I am not sure for what yet) (https://code.google.com/p/leveldb/)
  • It embeds V8 JavaScript engine
  • It uses Mongoose web server (https://code.google.com/p/mongoose/)
  • It uses LibXML parser(http://www.xmlsoft.org/)
  • A lot of logic written in JS
    • It is pretty much a JS app embedded inside C/C++ infrastructure
    • I cannot locate where the rendering are done - it's probably inside trexBoot.opml
  • trexBoot.opml is interesting - it is full or javascript functions embedded inside an outline
    • I bet this is the place where all the logic/control codes are located

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:08:01 PM UTC+2, Bill Soistmann wrote:
perfect, thanks

not like I haven't done this kind of thing before, but I thought I'd just check to see if there is a missing step

i am going to launch that AMI and see if that gets me any further

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Andrew Shell wrote:I

Andrew Shell

Oct 19, 2013, 1:24:19 PM10/19/13
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
From my digging into it the only thing LevelDB is used for is caching.