still looking for clarity

jsf

May 20, 2014, 9:07:55 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am on the latest version of fargo.

I have 3 separate outlines:

1) 'notes to myself', 2) 'community' 3) 'primary'

Notes to myself is named  jfreeman.smallpict.com/

The very topmost 'node' has a 'page' icon and the words "Things I am learning or will learn"

all of the nodes below that are nested to various degrees and have a black triangle.

This page, as a one-pager, renders find.. though ultimately, I'd like jfreeman.smallpict.com to be more like a personal website that I manage as an outline..   so, i might have a few top-level nodes and then a few subnodes under each top-level node which would render as navigation and subnavigation.

However, I have absolutely no idea how to do this and despite spending quality time with the docs I am no closer...

meanwhile, 'primary' has a number of nodes, variously nested, but everything is ONLY a black triangle.. there is no 'page' icon at the top, or anywhere else in the outline..

That outline is named jsfprimary.smallpict.com and I can render various nodes individually but I cannot render the whole page, nor can I figure out a way to make menu items.

I'm a failure..   I will read more docs if someone points me to the right place on the right page that will suddenly illuminate all of this for me..

Thanks!

Joshua

Dave Winer

May 21, 2014, 9:14:21 AM5/21/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
With any new tool, I always try to approach it on the path of least resistance. Get something working quickly. Use it, see where that leads me.

In the case of Fargo as a website editing tool, the path of least resistance is a chronology -- otherwise known as a blog.

I recommend using it that way for a bit, poke around under the hood (use the suitcase icon in the left margin) -- and you'll pretty quickly see how it works. Trying to learn how it works from the docs is not a great idea. Using the docs to get started, and to find out the theory of the product, that's what it works for. The product itself is designed to show you how the product works.

Dave

Ken Smith

May 21, 2014, 11:08:30 PM5/21/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Joshua, I found it easiest to learn if I could look at other people's outlines as they appear in Fargo. Occasionally people do share those links and then a person can borrow the code as needed. Do you have any of those links or would you like one or two?

Ken

Frank McPherson

May 22, 2014, 8:15:44 AM5/22/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
I've been maintaining a river of blogs created with Fargo here: http://static.frankmcpherson.com/rivers/fargo/index.html

You might have figured out that the first part of the FQDN of blogs on smallpict.com are the outline names, so if you go to a blog like webnotes.smallpict.com you should be able to open the outline in Fargo by clicking File, Open by name and entering webnotes.