Jitsi and SipXcom

Massimo Vignone

Nov 9, 2018, 9:37:16 AM11/9/18
to sipxcom-users
Hi,

I'm experiencing some troubles with Jitsi.

I have two proxy/registrar in a main site and a third proxy/registrar in a branch site. Calls from phones/gateways located in the branch site get a SIP 408 response from the proxy if the Jitsi softphone is registered in the main site.

Setting the FORCE_PROXY_BYPASS parameters doesn't solve the problem.

Any hints?

Massimo

pmkr...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2018, 10:52:50 AM11/12/18
to sipxcom-users
Hi Massino,

This issue here generated 408 timeouts back to the caller, who was then dropped into voicemail https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sipxcom-users/failRegistrationOn$3D/sipxcom-users/KcMX4fJeaQY/yk94qaHjBwAJ. In this scenario, a call from a line registered on one proxy places a call to a line defined on a Polycom registered to a second proxy. We had some custom Polycom configurations defined to allow local failover of phones in the event of a circuit failure to the HA cluster. Everything worked fine as long as all lines were registered to the primary server. We started seeing 408 timeouts when DNS was configured to allow load-balancing of lines across all servers in the HA cluster. What was happening was that the Polycom phone receiving the call was doing a check on the incoming invite to determine whether the proxy IP address of the originating call matched the proxy IP address where the callee's registered line was registered. When there was a mismatch, the Polycom phone dropped the invite and issued no response. The proxy for the caller originating the invite, receiving no response from the callee's phone, issues a 408 timeout. The problem was pinpointed to a conflict in failover parameters - adjusting the custom configuration file resolved the issue.

Here is another another example of 408 timeouts using Counterpath X-lite softclient. Lab testing was done to see how the client would behave in HA scenarios, so we changed the domain name on the client from the IP address of the Spx proxy for registration to the sip domain (eg. sipdomain.com). The X-lite client would register to the HA cluster successfully. However an incoming call to a X-lite client on one proxy from a line registered to a second proxy would generate a 408 timeout - the X-lite client was not responding to the Invite. In doing searches on the Counterpath forum, their support engineers recommend using the IP address in the domain name when registering the client.

All the best
Peter

Massimo Vignone

Nov 22, 2018, 12:55:45 PM11/22/18
to sipxcom-users
Hi Peter,

Thanks for pointing me to your interesting post. I'll test path headers for our Polycom phones in our test environent.

After your suggestion about X-lite, I've tested Jitsi using IP address instead of the domain name for registering, and everything worked. Anyway, I became curious  about why INVITEs were not leaving proxy when domain name was used. Checking proxy configuration, I've found what I was missing: parameter 'Allow Non-Local Domain Relay' was unchecked. If the parameter is checked, Jitsi works as expected.

So, it seems that that that parameter affects behaviour of SIP messages forwarded between proxies in the same cluster, but in different regions. I thought that that parameter was intended to be used to block relaying for different domains, so I unchecked it.

Massimo

Massimo Vignone

Nov 30, 2018, 8:25:16 AM11/30/18
to sipxcom-users
After further testing I was able to verify that the "Allow Non-Local Domain Relay" parameter does not affect Jitsi operation.

The only way for incoming calls to the remote site to be forwarded to the softphone is to use for registration the IP address of the registrar / proxy located in the same region.

Massimo