DHCP Tftp-Server-Name

pmkr...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 5:16:23 PM4/25/17
to sipxcom-users
We have been working on a configuration where the phones will receive their IP addresses from a local Sipxcom server but the phone configuration files come from a global Sipxcom server - to do this the tftp-server-name option in the local dhcpd.conf file must be updated. Unfortunately whenever the local Sipxcom server is rebooted or the DHCP service is updated. Sipxcom rewrites the dhcpd.conf file and replaces the global IP address with the local IP address.

A script has been written that updates the dhcpd.conf tftp-server-name IP address with the global address at startup. However, the best way to solve this issue is to replace the local IP address with the global address for the tftp-server-name variable in Sipxcom. The SIPXCONFIG SQL database was queried and could find no DHCP schemas. I scanned files in the /var/sipxdata/cfdata, etc/dhcp, etc/sipxpbx/dhcp directories - closet file is dhcp.erb template in the etc/sipxpbx/dhcp directory. I changed the tftp variable and hardcoded the global IP address but got errors in the /var/log/messages file.

Can anyone provide any guidance on where the tftp variable used in the dhcp.erb file is defined?

Many thanks in advance.

All the best
Peter

Claas Beyersdorf

Apr 26, 2017, 2:17:35 AM4/26/17
to sipxcom-users
Hi Peter,

I'm not sure if the whole scenario you describe really works (configuration files for phones are generated only on master and that is the server the dhcp normaly points to without modifications), but I describe how I would do this tftp-server-name change.

Disable DHCP server via WEB GUI on all sipXcom servers. After that sipXcom shouldn't generate (overwrite) the DHCP config anymore. Create or edit the config in /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf to your needs.
Add DHCP to autostart
# chkconfig dhcpd on
Reboot your server or start dhcp via
# service dhcpd start

Now you have an unmanaged DHCP server where you can make whatever you want.

The other way is as you described to overwrite the template file but I wouldn't recommend this (updates may overwrite this template file).

We use this kind of unmanaged DHCP scenario a lot so I don't think that there should be any problems.

I can not help you with the errors in /var/log/messages you mentioned, cause you haven't added an example ;). There can be several different errors in /var/log/messages some may be normal some could be caused by a wrong configuration, ....

If you give us an example, I'm pretty sure one of us can guide you in the right direction.

Regards
Claas

Joe Micciche

Apr 26, 2017, 10:32:45 AM4/26/17
to sipxco...@googlegroups.com
Check /usr/share/sipxecs/cfinputs/plugin.d/dhcpd.cf

You could also make your dhcpd.conf immutable: chattr +i
/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

joe

signature.asc

pmkr...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2017, 5:03:13 PM4/26/17
to sipxcom-users, jmic...@redhat.com
Vielen Dank Claas / Many thanks Joe for your responses. Claas, your approach sounds similar to what I used to disable DNS in the HA primer. For this application, making the dhcpd.conf file immutable is the easiest way forward. When time permits, I'll write up this configuration in the WIKI.

All the best
Peter

Michael Picher

Apr 26, 2017, 5:06:46 PM4/26/17
to pmkr...@gmail.com, sipxcom-users, jmiccich
We thought about more complex DHCP configuration but the benefit wasn't there. If somebody has any sort of complex DHCP requirements, they should really be configuring this separately or they probably don't want to rely on the phone system to operate DHCP for their network.

It seemed to not be a productive use of dev time.

Mike

Michael Picher, VP of Product Management
eZuce, Inc.

300 Brickstone Square

Suite 104

Andover, MA. 01810

Notice: This transmittal and/or attachments may be privileged or confidential. It is intended solely for the addressee(s) named above. Any dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmittal in error, please notify us immediately by reply and immediately delete this message and all its attachments. Thank you.