GPLv3 in simplesamlphp

Brenda Thompson

Oct 7, 2013, 11:26:45 AM10/7/13
to simple...@googlegroups.com, Brenda Thompson

Hi

I see that the new “aselect” package was added in 2012.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/simplesamlphp/fqkbK0SqQ7A

Was this package intentionally made GPLv3?

modules/aselect/docs/aselect.txt

Author: Wessel Dankers <w...@uvt.nl>

Copyright:  2011,2012 Tilburg University (http://www.tilburguniversity.edu)

License: GPL version 3 or any later version.

Does the inclusion of this package in simplesamlphp (even without enabling it) make the entire simplesamlphp package GPLv3?

Is there a non-GPLv3 distribution of the simplesamlphp package available?

Thanks

Brenda Thompson

Thijs Kinkhorst

Oct 8, 2013, 2:52:21 AM10/8/13
to simple...@googlegroups.com
Op maandag 7 oktober 2013 17:26:45 schreef Brenda Thompson:
> I see that the new “aselect” package was added in 2012.
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/simplesamlphp/fqkbK0SqQ7A
>
> Was this package intentionally made GPLv3?
> modules/aselect/docs/aselect.txt
> Author: Wessel Dankers <w...@uvt.nl>
> Copyright: 2011,2012 Tilburg University (http://www.tilburguniversity.edu)
> License: GPL version 3 or any later version.

We have no trouble relicencing it to LGPL 2.1 if that is desired.

--
Thijs Kinkhorst <th...@uvt.nl> – LIS Unix

Universiteit van Tilburg – Library and IT Services • Postbus 90153, 5000 LE
Bezoekadres > Warandelaan 2 • Tel. 013 466 3035 • G 236 • http://www.uvt.nl
signature.asc

Brenda Thompson

Oct 8, 2013, 12:31:22 PM10/8/13
to simple...@googlegroups.com, Brenda Thompson
Hi Thijs,

Yes that would be ideal.
Either A-select could be relicensed to conform to the simplesamlphp license (LGPL 2.1 ) or a distribution package could be made available without A-select.

Can you provide notification when the change is in place?

Thanks
Brenda

Thijs Kinkhorst

Oct 8, 2013, 3:29:15 PM10/8/13
to simple...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 12:31:22 -0400, Brenda Thompson
<brenda....@azukisystems.com> wrote:
> Hi Thijs,
>
> Yes that would be ideal.
> Either A-select could be relicensed to conform to the simplesamlphp
> license (LGPL 2.1 ) or a distribution package could be made available
> without A-select.
>
> Can you provide notification when the change is in place?

You can consider our previous statement to be effective immediately and
make the aselect module LGPL 2.1.

Anyone with simpleSAMLphp commit access: please apply the change.

--
Thijs Kinkhorst <th...@uvt.nl> – LIS Unix

Universiteit van Tilburg – Library and IT Services

Brenda Thompson

Oct 11, 2013, 9:17:18 AM10/11/13
to simple...@googlegroups.com, Brenda Thompson
Hi
There was no response to Thijs' request below.
Can this change be implemented?

Thanks
Brenda

> Either A-select could be relicensed to conform to the simplesamlphp
> license (LGPL 2.1 ) or a distribution package could be made available
> without A-select.
>
> Can you provide notification when the change is in place?

You can consider our previous statement to be effective immediately and make the aselect module LGPL 2.1.

Anyone with simpleSAMLphp commit access: please apply the change.

--
Thijs Kinkhorst <th...@uvt.nl> - LIS Unix

Universiteit van Tilburg - Library and IT Services Bezoekadres > Warandelaan 2 * Tel. 013 466 3035 * G 236

Olav Morken

Oct 14, 2013, 4:35:06 AM10/14/13
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 09:17:18 -0400, Brenda Thompson wrote:
> Hi
> There was no response to Thijs' request below.
> Can this change be implemented?

Hi,

I have now committer r3279, where I change the license statement for
the aselect-module to LGPL version 2.1.

Btw.: I am only keeping half an eye on this mailing list, and
therefore don't notice everything. Any specific requests for changes
should probably be added to the issue tracker, preferably with a
patch :)

Best regards,
Olav Morken
UNINETT / Feide

Brenda Thompson

Oct 14, 2013, 9:37:00 AM10/14/13
to simple...@googlegroups.com, Brenda Thompson
Thank you Olav,

>> Btw.: I am only keeping half an eye on this mailing list, and therefore don't notice everything. Any specific requests for changes should probably be added >> to the issue tracker, preferably with a patch :)

How do I do that?

Regards,
Brenda

Op maandag 14 oktober 2013 15:37:00 schreef Brenda Thompson:
> Thank you Olav,
>
> >> Btw.: I am only keeping half an eye on this mailing list, and therefore
> >> don't notice everything. Any specific requests for changes should
> >> probably be added >> to the issue tracker, preferably with a patch :)
>
> How do I do that?

The issue tracker is here:
http://code.google.com/p/simplesamlphp/issues/list

Indeed, it doesn't seem to be linked from simplesamlphp.org, at least I cannot
find it there. Olav, perhaps add it to the web pages?

Cheers,
Thijs

--
Thijs Kinkhorst <th...@uvt.nl> – LIS Unix

Universiteit van Tilburg – Library and IT Services • Postbus 90153, 5000 LE
Bezoekadres > Warandelaan 2 • Tel. 013 466 3035 • G 236 • http://www.uvt.nl
signature.asc

Peter Schober

Oct 15, 2013, 4:59:24 AM10/15/13
to simple...@googlegroups.com
* Thijs Kinkhorst <th...@uvt.nl> [2013-10-15 10:20]:
> The issue tracker is here:
> http://code.google.com/p/simplesamlphp/issues/list
>
> Indeed, it doesn't seem to be linked from simplesamlphp.org, at least I cannot
> find it there. Olav, perhaps add it to the web pages?

Yeah, I mentioned that in the past. The only way I can find it is via
the Download link (pointing to Google Code) and go to Issues from
there.
-peter

Peter Schober

Oct 15, 2013, 4:59:49 AM10/15/13
to simple...@googlegroups.com
* Thijs Kinkhorst <th...@uvt.nl> [2013-10-15 10:20]:
> Indeed, it doesn't seem to be linked from simplesamlphp.org, at
> least I cannot find it there. Olav, perhaps add it to the web pages?

If you create an issue for it ;)
-peter