Actions for students and mentors, "managing the plan"

조회수 9회
읽지 않은 첫 메시지로 건너뛰기

Ingo Schommer

읽지 않음,
2012. 5. 1. 오전 6:02:5012. 5. 1.
받는사람 silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
Hello mentors and students!

We're one week into the community bonding period, and its very quiet on the GSOC front.
I hope that's just the anticipation, and there's lots of chats going on behind the scenes :)

Can you please respond to this email with one or two sentences
what you have been up to, and specifics you are planing for the next week?

Update from Michal and me: He's travelling until Wednesday, pencilled in a Skype chat for Thursday.
Discussed merit of fixture factories on mailinglist, concluded while useful, its not a big part of the scope.
Will identify specific technical gaps which prevent effective behaviour testing,
and how to collaborate with SS to get continuous integration set up early in the project
as a means of validating the approach, and a simple way to keep track of progress.

The bonding period is crucial to get a head start on the project:
Please ensure its used effectively, particularly for scope definition.

Actions for all mentors/students until end of this week:
- Put details on the who's who wiki page, and fills out their project page
- Students: Set up a blog for his project (or address to an existing blog), on the project page
- Set up chat, going over proposed timelines, identifying risks, and new APIs which require community feedback (= time intensive)

Actions for all mentors/students until end of next week:
- Migrate project plan from Google Melange to public location (GSOC wiki, Google Docs, etc).
- Update project plan with new discussion outcomes. See "managing the plan".
- Define milestones (roughly two weekly, see below)
- Engage on the mailinglist, either discussing more refined ideas, or by directing existing discussions to a consensus.
- Get started with unit tests in SilverStripe (mentors should assist as required)

I've been asked about the granularity of milestones.
That's very dependent on how self-managing the specific student is.
I think a well defined milestone every two weeks is reasonable.
Have a look at Michal's timeline for the minimum required.
Google doesn't require any milestones other than
the mid/final evals, but its in your own interest to keep
scope and progress visible through a realistic timeline.

Thanks!
Ingo

Jakob Kristoferitsch

읽지 않음,
2012. 5. 1. 오전 7:38:4212. 5. 1.
받는사람 silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ingo,

Am 01.05.2012 12:02, schrieb Ingo Schommer:
> Can you please respond to this email with one or two sentences
> what you have been up to, and specifics you are planing for the next week?

at the moment I'm not at home, I will return tomorrow night.
I am currently trying to write down a set of features and a rough set of
specifications for the developer toolbar and its related components.
I had an introductory chat with Mark last Thursday and we agreed that
I'll send him my ideas this Thursday. We agreed on weekly meetings every
Tuesday morning (CEST, evening in New Zealand).
I think that in this initial phase I will need the most support, since I
have practically no experience in coming up with specifications.

I was planning to contact you anyways, since I wanted to start a
debugging wish list on the SilverStripe forum and was wondering about
the best way to do this.

BTW: Michal's project proposal (and hence his timeline) is not public.

Yours
Jakob

Jakob Kristoferitsch

읽지 않음,
2012. 5. 1. 오전 7:40:1712. 5. 1.
받는사람 silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for that last post, I wanted to send it to Ingo only, but forgot
to check the reply-to address.

Jakob

Ingo Schommer

읽지 않음,
2012. 5. 1. 오전 7:47:3112. 5. 1.
받는사람 silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jakob, thanks for your update!
Damn, forgot that Melange is private to mentors,
my email was originally for mentors, then I figured might as well send it to all straight away.
But you see why I'm pushing to get the proposals out in the open heh.

Here's his preliminary timeline (Michal, hope you don't mind):

Until 20. May - Iterating over the details of the projects, discussing possible ways to integrate SilverStripe with the acceptance tests, discussing CI integration and maybe introducing some improvements to SilverStripe unit tests.

20. May - 5. June - Integrating the acceptance tests with SilverStripe, writing first basic steps and using them in first acceptance tests.

5. June - 20. June - introducing basic improvements to the test runner and writing more extensive acceptance tests.

20. June - 5. July - by the GSoC milestone the acceptance tests will be integrated with SilverStripe and the basic functionalities of SilverStripe will be tested on a high level. The second part of the project will consist of writing detailed acceptance tests, making sure that external unit tests from modules are supported, polishing the docs and working on CI integration.

5. July - 20. July - writing detailed acceptance tests and iterating over the test runner. I think that we will be constantly working on the test runner through the whole project to make testing as easy as possible.

20. July - 5. August - Preparing docs for developers (basic steps and external module tests), researching CI integration, writing even more acceptance tests if there are some left!

5. August until the end of GSoC - working as hard as possible on CI integration, making the best out of acceptance tests bundled with themes.

Its preceded by about two screen pages of proposal,
so that's only the part which outlines the order of tasks,
and gives a first estimate on how long they will take.
As I said, thats around the minimum granularity,
not a replacement for frequent communication
and status updates throughout the project - but its a start.

Ingo

vikas srivastava

읽지 않음,
2012. 5. 4. 오전 6:49:2712. 5. 4.
받는사람 silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
HI Ingo
   Good to see you again :) . I am just done with my exams so will start discussion with my mentor and community in 1 or 2 days. Right now I am setting my working environment and trying to familiar with some basics of SilverStripe .
--
Warm Regards
Vikas Srivastava  :)

Frank Mullenger

읽지 않음,
2012. 5. 4. 오후 7:20:2112. 5. 4.
받는사람 silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ingo,

Ryan was just completing exams this week, we are penciled in for a Skype chat with himself, myself and Jeremy on Tuesday 8th. We will address all the actions in your first email and start refining the plan.

Cheers,
Frank

Ryan Dao

읽지 않음,
2012. 5. 5. 오전 11:51:4112. 5. 5.
받는사람 silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ingo and thanks Frank for the reply. As Frank said, I just finished my exams yesterday. I'll take 1-2 day off to relax and then start working on GSOC next week, starting by discussing with Frank and Jeremy the detailed implementation plan. I'll keep you updated with the progress as I go along :)
전체답장
작성자에게 답글
전달
새 메시지 0개