SilverStripe showcases

Cam Findlay

Nov 19, 2015, 10:22:49 PM11/19/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Heads up, we are working on some improvements to the showcase section of silverstripe.org

http://www.silverstripe.org/community/showcase/

In particular looking to make it a valuable place to both share your work and send potential clients towards to show off the kinds of things that can be built with SilverStripe CMS.

With this in mind we're thinking about 2 things:

1) Making it easier to submit a quick project you've worked on without having to trawl through lots of form fields.

2) If you want to get more exposure on your projects, we'll be looking at offering a more structured way for you to provide a more detailed case study and imagery on your project.

For point 2 above we'll also offer you the option to submit your case study to be considered for a featured showcase (we'll be featuring a lot more showcases with this new approach rather than 1 or 2 every month or so as is the current process). We'll have some consistent criteria we'll be checking for when featuring showcases and will be looking to publish this shortly.

"Featured" will become the default landing page view for showcases as they provide great screenshots and valuable case studies for others to learn from and show off the things being built with more detail and explanation. We'll also be doing to improvements to the look and feel of that section of the site.

You'll of course still be able to filter and navigate around the thousands of community showcases and before.

I'll keep you up to date as we progress on the work and if you have any ideas for further enhancements to this section feel free to leave me a message here or via the feedback form on the website.

Thanks,

Cam

Jonathon Menz

Nov 20, 2015, 12:24:34 AM11/20/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Sounds cool Cam. One thing to maybe keep in mind is the ability to credit another company or person with the design of a project. About half of the sites I build are from supplied designs, would be good to be able to feature those without misrepresenting myself as the designer.

Colin Burns

Nov 20, 2015, 1:28:00 PM11/20/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the ability to credit a design to another company

_____________________________
Nov 22, 2015, 5:35:02 PM11/22/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the ability to credit a design to another company here also.

Kind regards

James Pluck (BSc)

Patrick Nelson

Nov 22, 2015, 8:02:51 PM11/22/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that the arrows jump around vertically as you try to tab through the main features (since some images are taller than others). It would make sense if they were a specific offset from the top so you're not searching for the arrow which is half a monitor away from center of focus (the imagary). Also I want to specifically call out that because they're so very far away from the center, you have to hunt them down, even though the primary focus is there in the center. Finally, I don't know how var along I am as I progress through that main featured list, so possibly it would make sense to have bullets to keep track of where I'm at. Possibly go with something like Owl Carousel which also provides very good touch/swipe support, which this currently does not.

Another usability issue I noticed was that I was sent back to the top of the page when I selected "most popular" (or a category), so maybe incorporate a #hash in that form redirect, or, incorporate that filter into the AJAX capability the form is already using when paginating.

Nicole Williams

Nov 26, 2015, 6:34:05 PM11/26/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Thanks for the feedback. We've previously dealt with this by crediting other agencies in the body text (eg http://www.silverstripe.org/community/showcase/listing/skinny-mobile-web-development
Does this resolve most of the issues or is there a need to "share" showcases across two agencies listed in the developer directory both credited on a single showcase?

Nicole Williams

Nov 26, 2015, 6:37:52 PM11/26/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're looking to improve the feature panel to improve the first impression and entice visitors to click to read full information. Now that "featured" is the default view on the section it makes less sense to navigate in this panel so we're looking to move to one showcase at a time displayed here.
For context it will work in a similar way to the recent improvements to www.silverstripe.org/blog

We'll take a look at the suggestion to improve the pagination also.

Thanks,

Nicole

Jonathon Menz

Nov 26, 2015, 6:55:43 PM11/26/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi Nicole,

I notice in that example you have a note in the sidebar that says "WORK: web development" but I don't think the community has the ability to make that distinction? That kind of metadata is what I'm talking about. For example might be good to be able to have a section like that which says "DESIGN: Some Studio".

For me there's no need to be able to share a listing between two developers in the directory. Simply being able to write the designer's company name and perhaps link to their website would be enough.

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Nov 26, 2015, 7:06:56 PM11/26/15
to silverstripe-dev
On 27 November 2015 at 12:55, Jonathon Menz <jono...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Nicole,

I notice in that example you have a note in the sidebar that says "WORK: web development" but I don't think the community has the ability to make that distinction? That kind of metadata is what I'm talking about. For example might be good to be able to have a section like that which says "DESIGN: Some Studio".

For me there's no need to be able to share a listing between two developers in the directory. Simply being able to write the designer's company name and perhaps link to their website would be enough.

​+ 1
and maybe for some other aspects too (e.g. photography / copy / UX ???) ​

Jonathon Menz

Nov 26, 2015, 7:14:11 PM11/26/15
to SilverStripe Core Development, n...@sunnysideup.co.nz
So maybe we're looking for an optional 'Credits' section and within that we can add whatever we like according to a set structure. So maybe each showcase item gets a has_many relationship to a ShowcaseCredit dataobject that lets you set a Service/Label (e.g. Photography), Company and CompanyURL?

James Pluck

Nov 30, 2015, 5:53:31 PM11/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
This is a good solution I think!  +1